• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters you find boring/generic/unsatisfying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetSetWoodo

Smash Rookie
NNID
JetSetWoodo
3DS FC
0146-9264-6465
At this point I think I've tried my hand with about 90% of the roster and I've found some characters are just quite boring to play as. It's all subjective, of course, but here's my list of who I find just aren't that fun to play:

-Shulk: Just another sword character with a gimmicky standing-B. I guess you could say there's a strategy in finding the right moments to use Monado arts, but when I'm in a tense fight I found it quite easy to switch through to something I didn't want to activate, then having to wait for the cooldown to try again.

-Greninja: When I first started playing as him I loved him to bits, even thought of him as a main. Now I just don't think there's a whole lot of depth to his moveset. Though this is probably just down to character fatigue than anything else.

-Little Mac: For obvious reasons. Plus I like fighting in the above ground.

-Lucina: Marth without the "tip of the sword" mechanic.

Sorry if this upsets anyone. Obviously it's great if you like these characters, they're just not for me. Anyone else have any characters they simply find "unfun?"

kindred.dread

Smash Rookie
Definitely Shulk. His moves just aren't interesting, which is a shame because his neutral B was a good idea. He has a counter, a jumping slash, and an upwards one. Exciting.
I've neglected most of the roster though, so I'm not sure about anyone else.

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
Ike is the only character I can't get the hang of in Sm4sh. I liked him quite a bit back in Brawl but he feels too...eh in this game. Probably the only sword user in the game I won't be playing as.

JetSetWoodo

Smash Rookie
NNID
JetSetWoodo
3DS FC
0146-9264-6465
Ike is the only character I can't get the hang of in Sm4sh. I liked him quite a bit back in Brawl but he feels too...eh in this game. Probably the only sword user in the game I won't be playing as.
Totally. I mained Ike in Brawl but he is a bit...lacking...in Smash 4. Ah well, obligatory nerf is obligatory.

JetSetWoodo

Smash Rookie
NNID
JetSetWoodo
3DS FC
0146-9264-6465
Obligatory? He wasn't even that great in Brawl to begin with.
I thought he was pretty awesome in Brawl, as a powerhouse character. So much so I would rarely use anyone else. I just don't get that same feeling from him in Smash 4.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
It's so sad to admit, because I loved the way he was represented through tough times in last games...
But Mario is so stale to me as an opponent. His B&B combo down throw into up tilts was so universally known off the bat and practiced, my eyes often roll when I see someone play as him. There is the odd Mario player who uses the full move set quite beautifully, but I run into far more people who spazz to get their 0%-20% combo in and then it seems like that was the game for them, and they turn into confused fire ballers.

Mario is awesome, it's his entry level greatness to new players that has made him feel a little jaded to me.
but that's more as his opponent and less as myself playing him. But in that same light, i'm less inclined to play as him.

To be fair though the people who have rep'd him well made him look awesome. It's just hard to know what kind of mario you're getting because they all start the same way.

Spirst

I thought he was pretty awesome in Brawl, as a powerhouse character. So much so I would rarely use anyone else. I just don't get that same feeling from him in Smash 4.
He was a powerhouse, but had a number of shortcomings that detracted from his overall competency as a high-level character. From a basic standpoint, I can see why it'd be thought he needed to be nerfed but on a higher level of play, Ike already struggled with competing. His trash recovery, large hurtbox, poor dash speed, starting lag on his moves, weak throws, and susceptibility to projectile camping mitigates the brute power he had. Now, it seems they've barely done much to him aside from reduce his KO power (one of his biggest strengths) and extend his quick draw. Bowser was a slow heavy-hitting character as well and they've buffed him considerably.

Last edited:

SwiftWindStream

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1693-1858-2697
Even though I love jigglypuff, its really boring to play with. Also R.O.B. can be a snooze fest if your unsure how to play with him. Most people usually end up tossing him away because they can't figure him out. I agree that Lucina is just another Marth and is just as boring as marth.

JetSetWoodo

Smash Rookie
NNID
JetSetWoodo
3DS FC
0146-9264-6465
He was a powerhouse, but had a number of shortcomings that detracted from his overall competency as a high-level character. From a basic standpoint, I can see why it'd be thought he needed to be nerfed but on a higher level of play, Ike already struggled with competing. His trash recovery, large hurtbox, poor dash speed, starting lag on his moves, weak throws, and susceptibility to projectile camping mitigates the brute power he had. Now, it seems they've barely done much to him aside from reduce his KO power (one of his biggest strengths) and extend his quick draw. Bowser was a slow heavy-hitting character as well and they've buffed him considerably.
Ah, fair enough. Well, I in no way consider myself a high level/competitive Smash player so I'm not familiar with the finer details. I just played him because his moves packed a punch :p

Spirst

Ah, fair enough. Well, I in no way consider myself a high level/competitive Smash player so I'm not familiar with the finer details. I just played him because his moves packed a punch :p
It sucks because I always thought Ike was cool and he was the only sword-based character I actually liked so seeing his Smash 4 incarnation is really ehhh.

JetSetWoodo

Smash Rookie
NNID
JetSetWoodo
3DS FC
0146-9264-6465
It sucks because I always thought Ike was cool and he was the only sword-based character I actually liked so seeing his Smash 4 incarnation is really ehhh.
Yeah it's quite sad. I think a lot of the returning roster ended up that way, too, unfortunately. Either very little changes with them, or they're unnecessarily nerfed. Even with Meta Knight I think they went a little overboard with his nerfing. From my small time playing him in Smash 4 the majority of his attacks seem drastically underpowered.

D

Deleted member 269706

I have the opposite feelings about Ike, he's one of my favorite characters. Competitively speaking, he's pretty horrid, but as a party character, I really enjoy him. That being said, I feel like he needs to be fixed. Up his speed or give him armor with certain attacks, or something...

I feel like Lil Mac is one of the most boring/generic fighters in the game. He's just...bland. Punch here, punch there, that's like his entire moveset. Jigglypuff also seems a bit boring in my eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alaya

Smash Cadet
Any character that has a spammable projectile or infinite movespeed just seems the edge of lame to me.

Lil' Mac goes without saying.

Last edited:

wmo_

Smash Cadet
Wii Fit Trainer. Wanted to rep her but she just feels awkward. Forward tilts are weird and some of the arials are too. ftilt against a shorter character does nothing. She felt like a fish out of water trying to use her viably

Spirst

Yeah it's quite sad. I think a lot of the returning roster ended up that way, too, unfortunately. Either very little changes with them, or they're unnecessarily nerfed. Even with Meta Knight I think they went a little overboard with his nerfing. From my small time playing him in Smash 4 the majority of his attacks seem drastically underpowered.
His range was really nerfed as well. His hitboxes are misleading though I notice that's true for a number of characters.

Little Mac has such a limited arsenal and is so overused online that I find it inevitable a number of people would think he's generic and boring. I find Marth and Lucina to be incredibly dull given that Marth has pretty much played the same since Melee.

Riggy Rascal

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2363-5630-4667
Gotta admit, I've never really liked Game&Watch all that much. I just find him silly; a super flat guy with really zany attacks.

Ahh, sausages.
Ahh, goldfish.
Ahh, a key.
Ahh, sn-... snapping turtle?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Palutena.

Her standard moveset is slow and awkward. Her specials moves, due to the fact there are twelve individual ones, means that each one is bland and a move type already used by many other characters. The fact her default set is so uninteresting doesn't help. A reflector, warp, and a counter? The only one interesting here is Auto Reticle.

xExcel

Smash Apprentice
Zero Suit Samus, Duck Hunt, Rosaluma. I feel like I don't need to explain any of these.

xExcel

Smash Apprentice
I feel like Lil Mac is one of the most boring/generic fighters in the game. He's just...bland. Punch here, punch there, that's like his entire moveset.
That might be because......he's a BOXER?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

That might be because......he's a BOXER?
Ike and Marth are sword fighters, their entire moveset isn't just swinging a sword. Pikachu is a lightning pokemon, not everything about him is lightning. I'm not saying he should only have one or two attacks that are punches, but for goodness sake, a little variety wouldn't hurt.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
I don't see Duck Hunt as being boring/generic. His projectile game is so unique and fun.

Ike's moveset is pretty dull. The moves are so generic for a broadsword fighter with his Aether being his saving grace. Even the eruption is the classic "Throw the giant sword into the ground."

xExcel

Smash Apprentice
Ike and Marth are sword fighters, their entire moveset isn't just swinging a sword. Pikachu is a lightning pokemon, not everything about him is lightning. I'm not saying he should only have one or two attacks that are punches, but for goodness sake, a little variety wouldn't hurt.
Marth's entire moveset IS swinging a sword. I'm a Lucina main, you ain't fooling anyone. Unless u wanna count his grabs, which is stupid but suit yourself.

As for Ike, he has literally one punch and one kick and both come in his jab. His entire moveset is basically all sword swings too. You can stop with the nonsense.

And using Pikachu is a terrible example, have you ever played a Pokemon game? Of course all his attacks aren't lightning.

Little Mac is a BOXER. He BOXES. What else do you want from him? An ear biting move?
He damn sure isn't kicking anyone with that weak aerial game of his.

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
At the moment, Zero Suit Samus is a character I find myself slowly losing passion for. She's a potent character who excels in a wide variety of areas but lacks any real interesting nuance. Before in Brawl, I felt like there was a lot more she could do with the paralyzer after it connected. Now, it seems like she can do a total of three different things with it: dash attack, grab, or do a kill move. Other than that... Fox, Falco, Shiek, Captain Falcon, Marth, and a lot of other popular characters.

I actually find Little Mac to be pretty interesting though. How powerful his ground game is compared to his weak air game actually sets him apart quite a bit.

Last edited:

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Toon Link is pretty boring. After seeing all the buffs that Link got, playing Toon Link is meh.

Coolpool2

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1048-8836-5328
I don't really like Little Mac at all, now this might be a little biased because they can be annoying for me to face them but they mostly just run at you on the ground.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Toon link is repetitive, but a game involving him isn't as much boring as it is frustrating if you haven't learned the windows through his projectile mega spam. A good switch up toon link is pretty scary, and having played with him every now and then I would say he's a very active character. The 'Links' can fall easily into generic or boring if you don't use or see the opponent using their full arsenal of coverage. Trying to be a sword fighter won't cut it, trying to be an exclusive projectile maverick won't either.

Just a defense to these two who I don't feel belong on this list except for maybe an element of overuse of Link because people got a chance to be familiar with him in the demo.

Last edited:

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
I consider only clones boring. So Toon Link, Lucina, Dark Pit, Dr. Mario.
Ganondorf is really boring too even though I don't consider him a full-fledged clone.

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
Little mac, his attacks just seem boring and when I saw his trailer I was hoping he'd be more of a combo heavy character rather than just a brute or at least more technical one, even in punch out the goal wasn't to just throw random punches out and hope they hit it was about having patience and watching your opponent then making a counter attack. In this game you can just throw out smash attacks like their jabs and since he's so fast it promotes reckless play styles

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
I consider only clones boring. So Toon Link, Lucina, Dark Pit, Dr. Mario.
Ganondorf is really boring too even though I don't consider him a full-fledged clone.
Have patience with Ganondorf, it feels so good to win with him

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Zelda.

This doesn't just go for this iteration of Smash. I've never liked how Zelda plays.

It's not even so much because she doesn't feel good to use (not that she feels stellar though). It's just that none of her normals seem characteristic of her, or represent any sort of identity. It's just her kicking about or waving her hand with sparkle effects attached. Yeah, I know it's supposed to be "magic", but it hardly feels like it.

I mean, it was already obvious enough that I didn't really enjoy using her in past games. I always switched to Sheik, and pretty much never used Zelda. Transforming took too long to incorporate Zelda in any way.

But having them separated means I never have to touch Zelda outside of single player stuff, and I never feel the need to.

She just feels so bland to play, and I hardly even remember this is Zelda when I am playing as her. Her specials are fine though.

JetSetWoodo

Smash Rookie
NNID
JetSetWoodo
3DS FC
0146-9264-6465
It seems like a lot of you have different takes on the word "boring."
The thread's also about generic or unsatisfying characters, or characters that people simply have gripes with, or just don't like, boring or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom