• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters that can recover from Bowsercide

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Hey all, with the Wii U release/3DS 1.04 patch, Bowser's ability to suicide with the opponent was dramatically changed. Now it is the opponent that is released moments before death on certain stages and they have the opportunity to attempt a recovery by mashing double jump. In the interest of adapting to this change, and for discussing the possibility of Bowsercide in MU discussion, I've compiled this list of characters that can survive a Bowsercide on the possible stages. If you want to know which stages that you can attempt a recovery on, I made a short list at the bottom of the post that only focuses on current, tournament legal stages. I have unlocked and tested with all custom moves as well. If you only care about the non-customs meta, any character that can recover without the aid of custom moves will have a :starman: to expedite your reading.

This list was compiled with Flying slam (default Side B) on the stage, Battlefield. Keep in mind that all these characters are using their double jump first to avoid death, and are recovering from directly under the ledge.
:4luigi:: Only with Mach cyclone (Down B 2). With the proper double jump boosting method.
:4bowserjr::starman:: With default UpB and Koopa Meteor (Up B 3) only when combined with default side B jump after double jump.
:4wario::starman:: With a fully charged waft he makes it up. If Wario is using Quick Waft (Down B 3), he needs to perform an aerial bike dismount (any bike) and definitely have Corkscrew Leap (Up B 3) to reach the ledge.
:4gaw:: Only with High Fire (Up B 2).
:4zelda:: Only with Farore's Squall (Up B 2), and only when traveling directly up.
:4tlink:: Only with Short Fuse Bomb (Down B 3) and the infinite bomb jumping it provides.
:4pit::starman:: With his three double jumps, Pit reaches the ledge with both Up B 1 and 2, but not Breezy Flight (3)
:4palutena:: Only with a combination of lightweight (Down B 2) activated before being grabbed, and Warp (Up B 1).
:4kirby::starman:: With his five double jumps, Kirby reaches the ledge with all Up Bs
:4dedede::starman:: With his four double jumps, Dedede reaches the ledge with all Up Bs.
:4metaknight::starman:: With his five double jumps, Metaknight reaches the ledge with Up B 1 and 3, or default side B (angled upward).
:4falco:: Distant Fire Bird (Up B 3)

:4pikachu::starman:: With either Quick attack (default) or Quick Feet (Up B 3)
:4lucario::starman:: Extreme Speed with 20%+ worth of aura, Ride the wind (Up B 2) at any perent, and Extreme Speed Attak (Up B 3) with 140%+ worth of aura
:4greninja::starman:: All Up Bs
:4mewtwo::starman:: With careful timing, a vertical teleport will reach the ledge.
:4rob::starman:: Default Up B – only needing half fuel, Robo Rocket (Up B 2) all the time, and High Speed Burner (Up B 3) require most if not all of fuel
:4villager::starman:: Default Up B and Balloon High Jump (Up B 3). He can also make it back by riding Liftoff Lloyd (Side B 2)
:4olimar::starman:: Default Up B if he has two or less Pikmin. Winged Pikmin Jump all the time. Mighty Winged Pikmin all the time, provided you mash hard enough.
:4shulk::starman:: Only when equipped with Jump arts preemptively, all versions of Monado Arts and Air Slash will reach the ledge, with one exception. Default monado arts combined with Advancing Air Slash (Up B 2) will not make it. In case you're wondering, no, Shulk cannot activate jump arts while recovering for it to help him in time. He needs this art activated by the time he's released.
:4drmario::Only with a combination of properly boosted Soaring Tornado (Down B 2) and Super Jump (Up B 2)
:4darkpit::starman:: Same as normal Pit
:4megaman:: Only with Beat (Up B 3)
:4pacman::starman:: With Default Up B. Or a combination of default side B fully charged upward and Power Pack Jump (Up B 2).
That's a lot of faces to keep track of. Let me give you a list of characters that Bowsercide will work on for normal circumstances (customs still considered). It's 25/51 characters: :4bowser::4falcon::4charizard::4diddy::4dk::4duckhunt::4fox::4ganondorf::4myfriends::4jigglypuff::4littlemac::4link::4lucina::4mario::4marth::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword::4peach::4robinm::4samus::4sheik::4sonic::4yoshi::4zss:

It's important to consider that not every stage has the same distance between the ledge and the bottom boundary. So I've compiled an additional list of characters not in the first one, who come within a Bowser's height reach of the ledge. These characters can make it back with these moves on Town and City, Lylat Cruise (when the stage is tilted either down toward them, or at least neutral position). As well as every Omega form that allows for recovery attempts. Strangely, I've also been able to recover on about 15% of the stage transition segments of Delfino Plaza, as well as the Rooftop and Shine Gate phases. See this thread to know what phases I'm talking about.
:4bowser:: Only with Flying Fortress
:rosalina::starman:: With Up B 1 and 2. These moves have no difference in recovery for this purpose.
:4sheik:: Only with Gale (Up B 2)
:4marth:: With Dolphin Jump (Up B 3)
:4duckhunt:: Only with Super Duck Jump (Up B 3)
:4ness:: With Lasting PK Thunder (Up B 2)
:4wiifit:: With Hoop Hurricane (Up B 3)
:4lucina:: Same as Marth.
It's also worth noting that characters with wall jumps and wall clings can recover much better on certain phases of certain stages, as well as several omega forms. These phases are phase 2 of Halberd (on the ship with the megalaser) and the rooftop phase of Delfino Plaza. Shiek, Pac Man, Duck Hunt, and Diddy are just a few off the top of my head that shouldn't have trouble when using correct moves and being close enough to the wall. So it goes without saying that you want to be as far away from the stage as you can possibly get.

To be clear, here is the list of tournament legal stages where recovery can be attempted:
Battlefield, Town and City, Lylat cruise, Halberd, Kongo Jungle (hardest to reach the ledge, but that barrel can be reached instead), Phase 3 of Castle Siege, One of the stage transition routes on Delfino Plaza, the Rooftop and Shine Gate phases of Delfino Plaza, and the following Omegas:

Battlefield, Big Battlefield, Luigi's Mansion, Jungle Hijinxs, Skyloft, Temple, Lylat Cruise, Kalos Pokemon Stadium, Pokemon Stadium 2, Onett, Coliseum, Castle Siege, Gamer, Town and City, Boxing Ring, Duck Hunt, and Windy Hill Zone.
Finally, here's the results for Dash Slam. Every stage allows the victim to recover. Even Omegas. While it's true Dash Slam can be used to take an opponent further to the left or right, letting the opponent recover on every stage makes Bowsercide on opponents like Villager impossible in every scenario with this version of the move.

I am looking forward to discussion on this topic. The number of characters included may seem pretty damning, but remember that your opponent must have the correct move and the knowledge that they are able to double jump in order to attempt a recovery. I'm going to hazard a guess that less than 5% of this game's competitive community that isn't Bowser mains are fully aware of how to attempt a recovery and might remember to do so in a real match. However, the more our enemies attempt this, the more widespread this knowledge will become. I personally wish that the ability to attempt a recovery were either non-existant or more difficult, but nothing could be easier than mashing your jump button to buffer the double jump.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Just theorying here, but for Lucina/Marth, doesn't Dolphin Jump reach the edge if the Bowsercide fails and doesn't kill? I ask since I use it heavily in edge hogging and can make it from the bottom of the stage if double jump is used.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Just theorying here, but for Lucina/Marth, doesn't Dolphin Jump reach the edge if the Bowsercide fails and doesn't kill? I ask since I use it heavily in edge hogging and can make it from the bottom of the stage if double jump is used.
I was expecting it to work as well, however, they didn't really come close enough to mention. You have to remember that the character is being released from just above the stage boundary. This is a point where most character don't even reach high enough for them to be partially visible on screen after a double jump.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I was expecting it to work as well, however, they didn't really come close enough to mention. You have to remember that the character is being released from just above the stage boundary. This is a point where most character don't even reach high enough for them to be partially visible on screen after a double jump.
True. I didn't account for how low the Bowsercide takes a character, since I was mainly thinking about how high Dolphin Jump went. Figured it would reach, but that clears it up for me.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
True. I didn't account for how low the Bowsercide takes a character, since I was mainly thinking about how high Dolphin Jump went. Figured it would reach, but that clears it up for me.
I played with it a few more times, taking care to properly go straight up with the move, rather than the moves usual straight up, but slightly forward. And I guess they do get close enough to be included in the "Bowser's height reach" list. This list will become important once I've gathered more information on which stages that a recovery can be attempted at all , and are lower than battlefield. So far I know of Lylat Cruise and Town and City. Halberd seems to have the same lower boundary as Battlefield. I can't seem to attempt recovery at all on Smashville, and FD(?). Flying Slam is such a poorly programmed move that it's hard to lock down a straight answer for some stages.

Last edited:

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
I'm sure I've survived Bowsercide as Junior on BF before by using the initial jump, Side-b jump and then Up-B... I would double check that one for certain unless this is how you tested it in the first place.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
I'm sure I've survived Bowsercide as Junior on BF before by using the initial jump, Side-b jump and then Up-B... I would double check that one for certain unless this is how you tested it in the first place.
Ahh, good find! I always assumed that the clown kart jump from the air was only possible with a double jump, since it consumes a double jump if you have one. Thanks for the info. The problem with testing all 51 characters and their recovery potential is that I don't main all 51 characters. Most of my research on them was regarding the custom moves.

Corgian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Corgian
3DS FC
2079-7941-6787
Yeesh, I am not liking the length of this list. That being said, when checking against the customs meta, it might be worth checking to see how Dash Slam affects this. Dash Slam has waaaaaaaaaaay more horizontal movement, and would probably thin this list quite a bit.

That being said, outside of mentioning Bowser's own customs, is there anything we as Bowser players can do to prevent them from recovering, such as aiming the slam closer or further from the ledge?

Judo777

Smash Master
I was doing some of this yesterday, and I literally couldn't find a stage with walls that didn't automatically make us tie each time (so it would have been a sudden death and neither player can attempt to recover). Can you survive bowsercide on stages with walls?

I was testing for sheik (who btw should almost definitely be able to recover with walls). Also did you test with sheiks Gale up B because she comes pretty close to surviving on battlefield with her normal up b and gale is longer.

I wasn't even factoring in wall clings, any character with a wall cling can scale walls almost infinitely.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I was doing some of this yesterday, and I literally couldn't find a stage with walls that didn't automatically make us tie each time (so it would have been a sudden death and neither player can attempt to recover). Can you survive bowsercide on stages with walls?

I was testing for sheik (who btw should almost definitely be able to recover with walls). Also did you test with sheiks Gale up B because she comes pretty close to surviving on battlefield with her normal up b and gale is longer.

I wasn't even factoring in wall clings, any character with a wall cling can scale walls almost infinitely.
Hey man, so random to see you around here!

This is the list of the stages that go to SD upon Koopaciding:

Normal Stage Sudden Death
Final Destination
Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege
Custom Stages (wont be used, but thought it would be nice to know)
Duck Hunt

Omega Stage Sudden Death
Delfino Plaza
Halberd
Mario Circuit
Mario Circuit (Brawl)
Bridge of Eldin
Pyrosphere
Norfair
Port Town Aero Drive
Wooly World
Yoshi's Island
Great Cave Offensive
Orbital Gate Assault
Mario Galaxy
Palutena's Temple
Skyworld
Garden of Hope
Wii Fit Studio
Gaur Plain
75m
Wrecking Crew
Pilotwings
Wuhu Island
Wily Castle
Smashville
Duck Hunt

Looking at the list of Omegas real quick where Bowser dies first--Boxing Arena and Kalos Pokemon Stadium do NOT go to sudden death. Did you try wall clinging on one of those stages? The ones in the list above won't work since you'll be dying at the same time as Bowser.

Judo777

Smash Master
Hey man, so random to see you around here!

This is the list of the stages that go to SD upon Koopaciding:

Normal Stage Sudden Death
Final Destination
Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege
Custom Stages (wont be used, but thought it would be nice to know)
Duck Hunt

Omega Stage Sudden Death
Delfino Plaza
Halberd
Mario Circuit
Mario Circuit (Brawl)
Bridge of Eldin
Pyrosphere
Norfair
Port Town Aero Drive
Wooly World
Yoshi's Island
Great Cave Offensive
Orbital Gate Assault
Mario Galaxy
Palutena's Temple
Skyworld
Garden of Hope
Wii Fit Studio
Gaur Plain
75m
Wrecking Crew
Pilotwings
Wuhu Island
Wily Castle
Smashville
Duck Hunt

Looking at the list of Omegas real quick where Bowser dies first--Boxing Arena and Kalos Pokemon Stadium do NOT go to sudden death. Did you try wall clinging on one of those stages? The ones in the list above won't work since you'll be dying at the same time as Bowser.
Lol yea I was just curious at the rules for bowsercide, not normally lurking bowser boards. Tbh the Bowsercide nerf was by FAR in my opinion the greatest injustice of the patch. SO i wanted to see how bowsers were adapting.

I did not try on any of those stages you mentoned. I only tried a few, but I wil now try on the ones you mentioned. WIly Castle and Wii fit were the only ones i tried.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Lol yea I was just curious at the rules for bowsercide, not normally lurking bowser boards. Tbh the Bowsercide nerf was by FAR in my opinion the greatest injustice of the patch. SO i wanted to see how bowsers were adapting.

I did not try on any of those stages you mentoned. I only tried a few, but I wil now try on the ones you mentioned. WIly Castle and Wii fit were the only ones i tried.
Thanks man; we all certainly think it was too. Let us know your findings!

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Also did you test with sheiks Gale up B because she comes pretty close to surviving on battlefield with her normal up b and gale is longer.
Yes, and it is impossible for Gale to bring her to the ledge on Battlefield. Rest assured that I have unlocked and tested with all customs and combinations I could think of. However, I've found that it is just barely possible for her to return on one of the low stages with Gale, so she gets added to the low stage list list.

As for wall jumpable stages where opponents can attempt recovery, there are indeed very few that are tournament viable. They are (and I am going to update the OP with my stage research in a bit) Phase 2 of Halberd, and Rooftop of Isle Delfino (right side). The latter is a bit trickier because while you can wall jump up to the ledge, the ledge itslef isn't grabbable.

Top Bottom