• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters on Sakurai's Poll

vZakat

Half Genie
Lip is being considered? that's great ! I love PDP and it would be a great day for me if she's added. I'm sure other TA fans would agree.

The_TooCool_Master

Smash Apprentice
Sniffnoy said:
So let's see... I think we're going to need someone who can actually read Japanese to get through some of these... (I'm just using our old friends, Google Translate, Babelfish, and a katakana chart.)

151 - talks about the Ice Climbers.
152 - ? Can anyone figure this out? Seems to mention Tetra, something about Pikmin, but what's that "bee B Robo" (?) he talks about before? And what is this Virtual Boy character (does he specify a game?) Calamites? That's some extinct genus of tree-like things.
153 - Likes the Fire Emblem characters.
154 - Does not talk about characters.
155 - Suggests James Bond. Can anyone understand the rest of this?
156 - Can anyone understand this?
157 - Diddy Kong
158 - Mia (Fire Emblem), Ike, something about a green flame?
159 - Mentions Falco and Fox, I think that's it.
160 - Doesn't talk about characters.

Sakurai's response: Doesn't talk about characters.
151-Talking about various characters
152-bee [bi] [robo]? Maybe Chibi Robot.
153-Fire Emblem characters? I think not...Just seems to talk about the game.
155-James Bond as Snake's rival(I think)
156-When you hit the raacoon dog in the first it come out, enormous, you think it's funny but "“Shelf life apple 100 bell”". Maybe someone saw this in a game once.

Google translator stop working here....

Sporkman

Smash Ace
Understandably i cant be bothered to go through 30 odd pages of suggestions for people ive never even heard of, all i want to know is:
I did search for "Golden Sun" and this came up, now was that someone on this forum suggesting Golden Sun characters or has some (undeniably cool) japaneese actually suggested them to the big cheese?

Also angry chickens wouldnt be bad as an item or stage hazard as someone said. replace those magnet pokemon if its an item. Itd work with: chicken comes down. moves about abit, eventually will go off the screen or dissapear. character picks chicken up. characters throws chicken and hits opponent. Lots of chickens fly around generally homing in on the player who was hit. If the character misses the chickens go after him. The chicken can be caught. Oh it would madness.

Its times like these i wonder why im not on the dev team..

Suska

Smash Apprentice
Megaman (Megaman)
Claus (MOTHER 3)
Lucas (MOTHER 3)
King K. Rool (DK Country)
King Dedede (Kirby)
Geno (Super Mario Bros. RPG)
Professor Kawashima (Brain Age)
Kalas (Batten Kaitos)
Black Shadow (F-Zero)
Captain Olimar (Pikmin)
Ike (Fire Emblem)
Black Knight (Fire Emblem)
Toad (Super Mario Bros. 2)
Ray 01 (Custom Robo)
Ganondorf/Ganon (Legend of Zelda)
Link (Wind Waker)
Ridley (Metroid)
Little Mac (Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!!)
Diddy & Dixie Kong (DK Country) [Ice Climber-type is sugested]
Jeff (Earthbound)

I like this characters
I also hope they put in Mallow from Super Mario RPG

SSJ4Kazuki

Smash Champion
Why on earth do they need to put in mallow?

Some people may like him, but I can't see him being in smash, he just isn't diverse enough.

I fel the same way about Geno. He's a wooden doll.

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
I agree with you that Mallow sucks, but Geno is awesome even if he is just a doll. He would be fast and...heck, I'll do his stats. Strength:2 Speed:5 Weight:2 Height:3 Jump: 4 Overall:3

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
You mean replaced Unown :p They look similar to Magnemite, but they're actually psychic types, and based on hieroglyphs. But yeah, I would imagine the Cuccos from Zelda working in a very similar fashion.

Anyways, I did my own little Googliness, and here's what I think I can see:
151 - He says that he loves the cutesy music and sounds in Smash Melee, and used to record it with his tape recorder. He is begging Sakurai to keep the Ice Climbers playable, but also mentioning how important Kirby and Mother characters are to the game. That's basically his point. That and he can't wait to buy the game.
152 - Okay, this guy's mentioning a LOT. He says that Tetra would be cool to see. He also mentions that if Link became Twilight Link, will we see Wind Waker Link? He then mentions Chibi Robo and Pikmin, and somebody called Kiyara (?) from a Cube game. He says that if Pit made it in, then Kiyara's chances are even better. He also wants something to do with a Virtual Boy game called Calamites. Huh?
153 - I don't see anything here about Fire Emblem.. He just talks about how he grew up through high school with Smash Melee, and is looking forward to Brawl. He also says he loved the inclusion of Game and Watch and Ice Climbers, and can't wait to see what else they cook up.
154 - Just some stuff about camera mode returning.
155 - He suggests Bond, yeah, as a competitor for Snake. He says something about a "**** and kitchen" stage? Wtf? and something about a beautiful boy? ???
156 - Heh. He's making a crappy joke about hitting Tom Nook with a shovel, and him coming back "I'm suing you for 100 bells" or something like that. He basically wants Tom Nook as a fighter, and presumably a sarcastic one (all the character suggestion entries are titled "Character Reflections," including this one)
157 - Diddy Kong, and not much else.
158 - Mia and Ike from Fire Emblem, and then he blathers on about a green fire. Huh? He also talks about a younger brother at the beginning, but he might be his own.
159 - He says how happy he is to see Meta Knight. Also jokes about a situation between Falco, Fox, and Giga Bowser. Talks about some weird "kutsupa" character too.
160 - Just showing concern over the Wii classic controller. He doesn't like that it connects like the nunchucks to the remote, or something.

Sakurai-- Repeats himself on the whole "Don't throw out your Cube controllers" statement.

Sporkman

Smash Ace
I forgot about Magnemite! god 'back in the day' sure was a long time ago :o but yes 'Unown' as you say seems to be the wee nippers i meant, black with an eye thing?

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Yep! That's Unown alright! Crappy little Pokemon they are XD

And I really hope Sakurai takes more consideration towards solo Diddy than Diddy/Dixie combo

TrustTheFungus

Smash Cadet
The Virtual Boy game might be Teleroboxer. The translation has something like "tele Calamite sir". Harry is the star of Teleroboxer, but I'm not sure if he has a different name in Japan.

TrustTheFungus

Smash Cadet
FlipTroopa said:
That was my thought too, TTF. I need to go research it a little though, because it could also be something really obscure.

Hey, you're from NinDB, huh? :) Awesome to see another one of you guys roaming the Smash community forums ;)

EDIT:

GOT IT!
http://translate.google.com/transla...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=/language_tools
He's asking for Harry from Teleroboxer! :chuckle:
Yeah, I've mostly been just hanging out in this thread, but sometimes I read others.

Yay! I'd be cool if a VB game could get represented in SSB. And Harry is pretty much the only character who can do that. (Although I would love to have Dorin from Dragon Hopper.)

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
This is getting off topic, I know, but I really doubt they'll bother to do much with the VC. As much as I wanna play Fire Emblem on the NES in English; ain't gonna happen :( :(

But, anyways, back on subject... what would Harry do? If clones are still hanging around, I can see a whole Harry/Little Mac thing

icymatt

Smash Lord
FlipTroopa said:
He then mentions Chibi Robo and Pikmin, and somebody called Kiyara (?) from a Cube game. He says that if Pit made it in, then Kiyara's chances are even better.
I've come to understand that "kiyara" means "character". I think he's just noting that Chibi Robo and Pikmin are GC characters. And in the last sentence, he is saying that since Pit is in the game, other old characters have a good chance, too.

Sniffnoy

Smash Cadet
FlipTroopa said:
Is he specifically asking for Harry? Looking this over some more, "tele Calamites sir" seems to be what Babelfish/Google makes of "Teleroboxer"; I think he names the game but not a specific character. Seeing as Harry is the main character, of course, that would be the most likely to be added, but I think this should go in the first post simply as "Teleroboxer characters" rather than "Harry (Teleroboxer)".

antpod

Smash Cadet
Can someone please explain to me how this section of theofficial japanese site works?(Toukouken section) Is that opening paragraph some things the Sakurai wrote? And then i click the other tab(the one that has the 5.29. update) and it has 160 letters im guessing from the japanese poll? How are these being shown on the site?(by the most popular? the one Sakurai likes?)

Also is the little bubble grey boxes under every page Sakurai's own comment on the 10 letters of the page or something?

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
The gray bit is Sakurai's comments, yes. And we're not sure how he's selecting. I guess just what he thinks is a cool, appreciative letter? He obviously isn't going on character suitability, let's be honest. Lupus? That could never happen. Same for James Bond.

And yeah, I assumed Harry >.> But he's the only name from Teleroboxer, so ya know... Most likely the one to be in there.

Sporkman

Smash Ace
seeing as my question was never answered :( is there any mention of Golden Sun in there? id just like to know its been at least suggested! Are all these characters really old and obscure nintendo characters? i havent heard of hardly any of them!

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
No, a lot of these characters are actually from Fire Emblem or third parties. There's a good amount of obscure ones, but not as many as there are Fire Emblem >.>;;

And I have yet to see anything Golden Sun related, sorry :/

SuperFast

Smash Cadet
actually abotu the characters in sakurai's poll i heard that he also mentioned tom nook, chibi robo, ayuni tachibana, and the character that was mentioned from shin oni ga shima was donbe

LostArtofRock

Smash Rookie
The following list appeared in the "Characters Sakurai is ACTUALLY considering V2" thread on GameFAQs.com:

"Updated List (Based on Fan Translations* and the Current List on SmashBoards.com**)

Hammer Bros. (Super Mario Bros. - 1985)
Toad (Super Mario Bros. 2 - 1988)
Geno (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - 1996)
"Cel-Shaded" Link (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - 2002)
Tetra (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker - 2002)*
Ganon/Ganondorf (The Legend of Zelda/The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - 1986/1998)
Ridley (Metroid - 1986)
Diddy Kong & Dixie Kong (Donkey Kong Country/Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy Kong's Quest - 1994/1995)
King K. Rool (Donkey Kong Country - 1994)
Ninten (Mother - 1989)
Jeff (Mother 2 ["EarthBound" in the U.S.] - 1994 [1995])
Claus (Mother 3 - 2006)
Lucas (Mother 3 - 2006)
Lololo & Lalala (Kirby's Dreamland - 1992)
King Dedede (Kirby's Dreamland - 1992)
Oguma (Fire Emblem: Ankoku Ryuu to Hikari no Tsurugi - 1990)
Sigurd (Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu - 1996)
Ike (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - 2005)
Mia (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - 2005)*
The Black Knight (Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance - 2005)
Black Shadow (F-Zero X - 1998)
Little Mac (Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream - 1990)
Dragon Chan (Super Punch-Out!! - 1994)
Ray 01 (Custom Robo - 2004)
Captain Olimar (Pikmin - 2001)
Tom Nook (Animal Forest - 2001)*
Chibi-Robo (Chibi-Robo! - 2005)*
Lip (Panel de Pon - 1995)
Takamaru (Nazo no Murasamejou - 1986)
Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight - 1993)
Harry the Robot (Teleroboxer - 1995)*
Donbe (Shin Oni ga Shima - 1987)
Ayumi Tachibana (Famicom Tantei Club Part II: Ushiro ni Tatsu Shoujo - 1989)*
Professor Kawashima (Brain Age: Train Your Brain in Minutes a Day - 2006)
#111 Possibly "Cat-Eye Link?"

Third Party Suggestions

Mega Man (Capcom) (Mega Man - 1987)
G-Red (Capcom) (Gotcha Force - 2003)
Simon Belmont (Konami) (Castlevania - 1986)
Colonel Yevgeny Borisovitch Volgin (Konami) (Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - 2004)
Power Pro-Kun (Konami) (Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu '94 - 1994)*
Lupus (Rare) (Jet Force Gemini - 1999)
Sora (Square Enix, Inc.) (Kingdom Hearts - 2002)
Princess Katia (From Software) (Lost Kingdoms - 2002)
Kalas (tri-Crescendo/Monolith Soft) (Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean - 2003)

*Credit goes to SamuraiPanda01 and BunyipFlip of GameFAQs.com for translating the suggestions focusing on Ayumi Tachibana, Tetra, Mia (FE), Tom Nook, Chibi-Robo, Harry the Robot, and Power Pro-Kun.

P.S. If I'm totally wrong or mistaken in any of these translations, please don't hesitate to correct me. :-)

**List last updated by kilroy on 5-26-2006 at 04:05 PM."

Sniffnoy

Smash Cadet
That looks mostly identical to Kilroy's current list, plus some recent stuff that Kilroy has yet to add... but one thing is for certain, you can eliminate "Kiyara" from there. "Kiyara", as has been repeated many times by now, is an abbreviation for "character". It is *not* the name of a character, and should not be on the list.

By the way - what order is that sorted in? The differing orders on the two lists makes them hard to compare. Of course, I suppose Kilroy's isn't really sorted either - it's roughly by when they were first mentioned, but really by when we first figured them out - but I have no idea where the order on that list came from at all.

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Kutsupa still bugs me. This is BunyipFlip, btw. Yeah, I changed it up between the boards :p

Kutsupa... hmm

EDIT: Kutsupa is a Mario character. I'm homing on... Gimme a few more minutes :laugh:

LostArtofRock

Smash Rookie
That looks mostly identical to Kilroy's current list, plus some recent stuff that Kilroy has yet to add... but one thing is for certain, you can eliminate "Kiyara" from there. "Kiyara", as has been repeated many times by now, is an abbreviation for "character". It is *not* the name of a character, and should not be on the list.
I fully realize that the list is quite similar to kilroy's, and I gave him/her credit. In addition, I mentioned that the aforementioned list comes from GameFAQs.com (where I don't believe that kilroy posts).

I only posted this list in the hopes that kilroy will include some of the latest names in the initial post of this thread.

By the way, thank you for the information concerning "Kiyara," Sniffnoy. :-)

By the way - what order is that sorted in? The differing orders on the two lists makes them hard to compare. Of course, I suppose Kilroy's isn't really sorted either - it's roughly by when they were first mentioned, but really by when we first figured them out - but I have no idea where the order on that list came from at all.
The order of the characters is as follows:

Super Mario Bros. Characters
Legend of Zelda Characters
Metroid Characters
Donkey Kong Characters
Mother/Earthbound Characters
Kirby's Dreamland Characters
Fire Emblem Characters
Other Nintendo Franchise Characters (based on my own knowledge)

FlipTroopa

Smash Lord
Okay, I am lost. Kutsupa is not a character, just a generic word. He uses it in his letter when talking about Falco, and then I ran into it on a quick Google search used with Mario characters. It must be victory or something.

Sniffnoy

Smash Cadet
LostArtofRock said:
I fully realize that the list is quite similar to kilroy's, and I gave him/her credit. In addition, I mentioned that the aforementioned list comes from GameFAQs.com (where I don't believe that kilroy posts).

I only posted this list in the hopes that kilroy will include some of the latest names in the initial post of this thread.
Hah, sorry, I wasn't trying to imply you plagiarized the list, I was just saying that there didn't seem to be much in the way of new information on this one. Though, actually, I don't know if Ayumi Tachibana has been mentioned here... I'll have to go check.

LostArtofRock said:
The order of the characters is as follows:

Super Mario Bros. Characters
Legend of Zelda Characters
Metroid Characters
Donkey Kong Characters
Mother/Earthbound Characters
Kirby's Dreamland Characters
Fire Emblem Characters
Other Nintendo Franchise Characters (based on my own knowledge)
Oh, hah. Of course that doesn't specify a total order, but...

LostArtofRock

Smash Rookie
Okay, I am lost. Kutsupa is not a character, just a generic word. He uses it in his letter when talking about Falco, and then I ran into it on a quick Google search used with Mario characters. It must be victory or something.
Does this mean that I should remove "Kutsupa" from the list in order to avoid inadvertently confusing kilroy, FlipTroopa?

LostArtofRock

Smash Rookie
Hah, sorry, I wasn't trying to imply you plagiarized the list, I was just saying that there didn't seem to be much in the way of new information on this one.
There's absolutely no need to apologize, Sniffroy. I never took your comment in a negative fashion, and I agree that the amount of "new" information would be sparse to this board in comparison to the folks at Game FAQs.com. :)

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
SamuraiPanda, who seems to also be a Gamefaqs user, has posted his translations here as well, which we have stickied.

You're better off coming here anyway. We moderate our forums, so you don't have to sift through endless crap. :p

Sniffnoy

Smash Cadet
Yet more characters!

161 mentions a bunch of Star Fox characters - Krystal, Peppy, Slippy, Wolf. Before anyone gets confused and asks, "asaruto" is not a character, it's "Assault".
162 talks about Petey Piranha.
165 likes the obscure characters, it seems - he talks about Link's uncle from A Link to the Past, something about Takamaru again, the blue virus from Dr. Mario (!), "Two people of urban champion" - probably a reference I won't bother to decipher - I think this next one is the Eggplant Wizard of Kid Icarus, Dr. Wright from Sim City, and Thomas of Kung Fu Master (Spartan X in Japan).
166 mentions some games, I don't know if any specific characters are mentioned.

I think that's all for suggested new characters in that batch, as always if someone who actually understands Japanese could go over this that would help a lot.

antpod

Smash Cadet
woh, another update

does anyone know what Sakurai said? (besides from the google and altavista translations)

誰かにとってのいいことは、誰かにとってのよくないこと。
誰かにとってのエキサイティングは、誰かにとっての不親切。
正解なんて、ないのだろうと思います。

今回は対戦の細かいことよりもやさしさを重視したいので、
全体的に多少甘めになるかもしれません。
先のことはまだわかりませんけど。

Mr.Starone

Smash Cadet
I like that Petey made the list. If you ask me he's more than likely to be the next Mario character included.

Top Bottom