• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Style Categories!

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
so I was rummaging through youtube when I found this interesting video that separates characters into style categories exactly like Mario Tennis.

this made me think: so what other characters fit in these categories? and if we were to rate characters by attributes, how would they be?

here is an idea of what it could look like:

CHARACTER NAME

Style:

Strength ☆☆☆☆☆
Speed ☆☆☆☆☆
Ground ☆☆☆☆☆
Air ☆☆☆☆☆
Recovery ☆☆☆☆☆
Final Smash ☆☆☆☆☆

in this case, strength would be the power a character has in damage output and knockback. speed is the overall mobility of the character. Ground is the the character's ability to control the ground area, while Air is the same but in the air. Recovery rates the overall utility that the character has to return to stage safely, and Final Smash because why not?

now for styles, we could keep it simple and use the same as Mario Tennis. they are:
All-Around
Power
Speedy
Technique
Tricky

so as a sample, here is Mario.

MARIO

Style: All-Around

Strength ★★★☆☆
Speed ★★★☆☆
Ground ★★★☆☆
Air ★★★☆☆
Recovery ★★★☆☆
Final Smash ★★★☆☆

so what's your opinion on this system? and if you want to use it, how would you rate your favorites?

Last edited:

Thecombosetups

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ComboSetup
3DS FC
3540-1655-8773
Don't how to do stars, but I'll impervious
Sonic

Strength: 1 out of 5 stars
Speed: 5 out of 5 stars
Ground: 3 out of 5 stars
Air: 3 out of 5 stars
Recovery: 4 out of 5 stars
Final Smash: 5 out of 5 stars

I think the system is great

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
you can copy paste the stars from my post. here's also another one that I've been thinking for my main.

ROB

Style: Tricky

Strength ★★★☆☆
Speed ★★☆☆☆
Ground ★★★☆☆
Air ★★★☆☆
Recovery ★★★★★
Final Smash ★★★☆☆

I'm still undecided whether ROB is a Technique or a Tricky. he definitely one of the harder characters to pick up and play efficiently like a technique, but the toolkit he has can make for some nasty tricks as well. I give him average strength since he has some quick attacks mixed in with powerful ranged strikes. although not the fastest, he definitely has more mobility than most powerhouses. ground and air control are average, since despite the fact that he can control a longer range them most, these attacks can make openings that are easily punishable. ROB has arguably one of the best recoveries length wise, and it does not put him in helpless state like almost everyone else. his final smash is pretty powerful but at the cost of a short range. it's also a pretty cool attack to look at.

Last edited:
NNID
Majorasmask66
I feel that vid got a few of the names of character styles wrong. Like speedy is rush down and trickster is speedy characters who use their mobility to confuse their opponent. Theres also grapplers, stance, all around, keep away, powerhouse, puppet, and many more. Some of these like technique characters isn't even a thing. But I guess we can call it what we want since these are the wildly excepted terms but not super duper official so call them what you feel like I guess. Any way

Little Mac

Style: Hard to say. If a brawler character is a character who's great on the ground but bad in the air than hes a brawler.

Strength: 5
Speed: 4
Ground: 5
Air: 1
Recovery: 1
Final Smash: 3

The star thing was acting weird for me ): but great system.

Top Bottom