• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character ratings from the Official PRIMA strategy guide...

Starry Might

Smash Journeyman
Interesting. Thanks for posting this.

I know strategy guides aren't perfect, but I still like collecting and reading them, and they CAN be helpful at times. I'm still looking forward to getting it (me and my Dad couldn't find it in the stores Sunday, so he ordered it and the "Super Mario Galaxy" guide on Amazon for me 'cause they were both on sale and he wanted to qualify for their free shipping...unfortunately, it looks like they don't ship stuff for free as fast as they used to anymore, so I have to play the waiting game :ohwell:).

That said, Marth Tier FTW. :laugh: :grin:

Another interesting points is the way characters stack up against each other. While Marth is definitely a solid character he definitely has some more weaknesses this time around and seems to struggle against some characters more than others. People may disagree with me here, but me and my friend have found him quite weak against Pikachu who (interestingly enough) is found at the bottom of this list.
Long ago, I saw a video of a couple of fights between Marth (played by Meijin[sp?]) against a Pikachu player. Marth won both fights (w00t!), but Pikachu held his own quite nicely, so it wasn't a totally easy fight for the former. :)

Darth Ace

Smash Rookie
Interesting. Thanks for posting this.

I know strategy guides aren't perfect, but I still like collecting and reading them, and they CAN be helpful at times. I'm still looking forward to getting it (me and my Dad couldn't find it in the stores Sunday, so he ordered it and the "Super Mario Galaxy" guide on Amazon for me 'cause they were both on sale and he wanted to qualify for their free shipping...unfortunately, it looks like they don't ship stuff for free as fast as they used to anymore, so I have to play the waiting game :ohwell:).

That said, Marth Tier FTW. :laugh: :grin:

Long ago, I saw a video of a couple of fights between Marth (played by Meijin[sp?]) against a Pikachu player. Marth won both fights (w00t!), but Pikachu held his own quite nicely, so it wasn't a totally easy fight for the former. :)
So a "tier" don't mean Shibus if the mutha flarker that plays as the character sucks anyway.
Alos, I'm a tad offended by the low tier on Pikachu (He's my main) I could kick the crap out of most Fox and Falco players with him when I got a groove. But I did notice a person that played as Yoshi or Mario could keep up with me fairly easily for some reason.
In Brawl, however, anything that could happen has happened. There are just too many variables in this game to set up a list of character levels like that.
In conclussion, I leave you with one question Smashboards. "Excuse me Prima, what are you smoking and where can I get some?"
Back to you Starry.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
They claim Peach's defense is on par with Marth's and that her offense is 8 while Marth's is 9. That entire list fails simply because of this.

They also claim Peach's offense is on par with Toon Link's (also 8) and the final rankings have her in the same tier as Toon Link. Who wrote this ****, anyway?

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Everyone should stop being so harsh on the Prima stategy guide. That the author actually went out of his way to mention tournaments, Smashboards, a few Melee tournament references (Hyrule banned, no one used Zelda instead they used Sheik, etc) should signal that this is probably one of the better guides on the market for Smash. You won't find references like this in Nintendo Powers guide. Of course the things he lists are wrong, thats the very nature of writing a strategy guide like the one he wrote, he even mentions that his **** is wrong and if you want the most up to date stuff that you should come, well, HERE. Don't take his ratings seriously as they were probably made after only a week or two of playing the game without anyone else to play with (or very few people). We should just be happy this author actually took the time to delve into Smash a little bit more than the usual strategy guide author.

Buy the guide for the poster, its worth every penny.

WindD

Smash Rookie
Blame the ratings on the numerical system they used. Characters are actually punished if they have a projectile and it's only decent rather than none at all. It does not seem like the stats are weighted so offense, defense, throws and speed are given equal value whether or not they actually have equal value in game. So basically, ignored/10.

sxiz

Smash Cadet
Luigi's FS is a five? How the hell is killing someone with your TAUNT (with that sweet home run bat sound) not an automatic win/10?

I appreciate that they tried, but seriously, people like this shouldn't be writing strategy guides.

limitbreak

Smash Ace
No. Just not. That tier list is like for noobs basically. People that dont know much about smash could use this. For anyone that has a clue, no. Snake high tier? Olimar low tier? That is ridiculous.

Top Bottom