• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Rankings List - Post-March 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Browny

Smash Hater
whos winning all the tourneys with lucario? i figured its azen but i cant find any new vids of his lucario, i must find out whos winning them and if they have videos :D

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
pt is low because he has the steepest learning curve of any character in the game and is pretty unpopular. nice potential there though.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Snake has 317.5 points. >_>

That's more than the sum of the bottom 17 characters. Wow.

And over 100 times the points Yoshi has. lol

lethminite

Smash Apprentice
really good list, one problem, which is unlikely to be easily fixed, is simply having a character played lots gets up high on the ranking.

lucario is 14th, yet has won more times then marth, who is 4th. who has over 3 times as many top 8 rankings as lucario.
that seems to tell me, marth is overplayed, and solid, but not necessarily great, while lucario is underplayed, and solid.

i have no idea how to fix that with out other problems coming into play instead.

but again, really good list.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
The problem is that some characters have one or two people that are amazing using them and they win tournies with them while other characters have no one amazing using them, but legions of good players so even though they don't win they place high.

This is the case with Marth.

No one amazing plays him, but he has legions of good players backing him.

Wario and Lucario both have some amazing players backing them.

Wario has Futile and Lucario has Azen. But both seem to lack legions of good players backing them although Wario ahs more of that then Lucario does.

Also Marth is consistent, but he doesn't win often. This is characteristic of a high tier character. A character that is really good, but doesn't really win all that often.

Isolated events like Lucario winning is most likely due to the skill of the player if Lucario mains aren't consistently placing well with him all across the country.

Kasai

Smash Journeyman
Dang Lucario took a huge leap up in this list...he now has the 6th most wins.

Also, I agree with the above posts about popularity but theres little that anyone can do about it. Eventually, as characters develop bigger popularity bases, the numbers of the "good" characters might eventually even out.

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
Peach is back at 20 ^^ I hope she doesn't drop anymore.

Wouldn't be surprised if she did.

I really hope Diddy and the ICs starts rising soon, I know Zelda has already started to, as has Lucas surprisingly, but those two are the only High Tier characters IMO left so far that haven't performed up to specs.

Maybe what we thought in theory isn't translating as well as planned

lethminite

Smash Apprentice
Also, just wondering why you chose 0.5,3,5 as the points for placing top8,4,1 ?

i skimmed the thread, i see that you tried to take into account popularity.

since the list changes depending on what numbers you give (EG, for a stupid one, 0.5 for top 8, 1 for top 4 and 20 for winning makes lucario over marth)
how did you chose 0.5,3 and 5?
(not saying thats a bad choice, just interested)

I.T.P

Smash Ace
what takes into consideration which tourneys are on that last? can I post the stats from our tourneys to have them calculated into it?

isomorphism

Smash Cadet
what takes into consideration which tourneys are on that last? can I post the stats from our tourneys to have them calculated into it?
I think the only requirements are offline, at least 32 people, no items, no scrubs? I don't remember if it's a requirement that they have to be created on Smashboards but it might be.

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
You can't just use any tournament that follows the competitive rules. How do we know the players there are good?

isomorphism

Smash Cadet
Well, it's likely that a certain percentage of the players are going to be bad regardless, especially at these crazy 100+ people tournies. But it's also likely that the ones who make it to the top 8 are going to be skilled given a large enough player pool, which is why there's a lower bound for tournament size. If the Smashboards requirement exist I'm guessing that it's to help ensure that at least some good players are involved. If all else fails, it still shouldn't ultimately matter, since regularly held tournaments are going to dominate the rankings and if a group of people attends a tournament regularly they're likely to improve and become good. So over time the results from good players should far outweigh the bad ones. The fact that Ankoku's apparently starting a new list for the summer (I think that's what he said, anyway) and will continue to regularly restart it will help ensure that it reflects the current metagame and player skill, so earlier results won't bog it down. Obviously it's not a perfect system but if he keeps it up to date it's about as close as it can get.

goodkid

Smash Lord
Well, it's likely that a certain percentage of the players are going to be bad regardless, especially at these crazy 100+ people tournies. But it's also likely that the ones who make it to the top 8 are going to be skilled given a large enough player pool, which is why there's a lower bound for tournament size.
Yeah, this list reflects almost all tournaments from Smashboards with character results. Not all of the tournaments are at FC level, and the list reflects even the lower-level tourneys, because this list is overall in tourney results and not selective. Most top characters rise up in lower-level tournaments anyways.

mitchlol7

Smash Cadet
Ok everyone use yoshi in tournys so that he will be top tier and we will all laugh and kick the butts of all the noobs who will try to be good with the "god tier yoshi"

mitchlol7

Smash Cadet
I see an error in the c ranking
C Rank
14 Lucario (6 top8, 8 top4, 6 wins, 57 pts) <18>
13 Fox (8 top8, 13 top4, 2 wins, 53 pts) <16>

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I just want to say that this is easily the best thread on all of smashboards right now.

It's interesting to see how much the list is fluctuating still. I wonder when it'll start to settle out. I can't wait for the summer list. Anyways for those unbelievers, Lucas has a lot of potential that has yet to be truly tapped into. He's a better character than most people give him credit for. Of course he's my main so I could be a little bit biased. Anyhow I like how things are shaping up except for Snake. Hopefully something/someone will knock him down a few notches in the near future.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
There is no way the OP will be able to keep this up.

The amount of work he must have put into that list seems pretty outstanding.

Good job!

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I don't remember which ones exactly, but if you look for Mr. 3000 you'll probably find one or two. I know Lucky won Andeh's tournament.

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
All my love goes to this thread. Probably one of the most useful threads on the entire board.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
The most amazing thing about this thread is that someone who is actually dedicated to it started it.

10chars & an internet to Ankoku ^^

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Haha, thanks.

Summer list is starting up this weekend, we'll see how character rankings change now that we've all had a chance to learn this game. : P

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
Thank you Ankoku for devoting time and energy to such a wonderful project. It's nice to see some hard and fast data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom