• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Kumatora and porky >ness ninten

nobody here has played batallion wars I guess. . .

batallion wars is a 3rd person shooter with tactical elements (ordering fellow troop classes around) that had 2 games to my knowledge. both were really fun. no ties to advance wars or IS

also Xenoblade chronicles is my 2nd favorite game ever. XCX is my most wanted game of the year. I dont think Xenoblade "deserves a rep". (I hate reps still) it has 2 games right now and is extremely new. 2nd one might not even sell that well being tied down with the wii u and being a JRPG
Batallion Wars aren't related to the Wars series, though they did market them that way in Japan. They were ORIGINALLY going to market them that way in the west but changed their minds.

TKactual

Smash Journeyman
Yes Battalion Wars and Advance Wars are both nintendo wars games but both are completely different as far as the setting and gameplay, so they are 2 different series. Thus why I want them both to be represented somehow. Side note, wii u is practically built for a battalion wars 3 so why hasn't it happened:crying:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Despite their differences I think it's fairly evident they're still both under the umbrella of the Wars series, even if Battalion Wars is an offshoot or a spin-off or however you want to classify it.

It's not like all the games under the Mario series have the same gameplay either.

TKactual

Smash Journeyman
Despite their differences I think it's fairly evident they're still both under the umbrella of the Wars series, even if Battalion Wars is an offshoot or a spin-off or however you want to classify it.

It's not like all the games under the Mario series have the same gameplay either.
I suppose this is true, however that just means the series has a lot of games within the series therefore it definetely deserves representation at this point (perhaps even two characters Sami and the grunt anyone?)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

I would say that Batallion Wars is part of the Wars series, but the thing is, it was never intended to be. The only reason you can argue it is that it is branded as such in Japan. Battalion Wars was intended to be something totally different.

That said, the odds are slim we'll get representation for Advance Wars in Smash. Frankly, if Battalion Wars ever DOES get any representation, it'd probably be counted as part of the Wars franchise anyway.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Yes Battalion Wars and Advance Wars are both nintendo wars games but both are completely different as far as the setting and gameplay, so they are 2 different series. Thus why I want them both to be represented somehow. Side note, wii u is practically built for a battalion wars 3 so why hasn't it happened:crying:
I loved the Wii version, it was really fun, i should play it again in the future :dr^_^:

mark welford

Smash Ace
Honestly.... I want to take a bit of a perspective turn from our norm here. Instead of going about who we think is more likely to be included via planned DLC or ballot... let's look at where there's even the potential from here, considering how some bicker about the so-called drop in character quality.

Anyone want to cite where I'm missing some sleeper champions for Nintendo?
You are forgetting Klonoa he would be a great second rep for Namco-Bandai even though he looks like he could of been a Sonic character lol.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
In all honesty....

....is a more logical Xeno DLC character than Fiora or Cross or any other 'blade rep at the moment. KOS-MOS is still super unlikely though, as I think another Namco rep is questionable and several others would be vying for that spot regardless.

I think Xenoblade will almost definitely get a new character come Smash NX (or whatever console is the Wii U's successor,) but I doubt the series will see another DLC rep this go around. I'd personally be all for it as I love the characters in the series (as long as Isaac still gets in first.)

Burruni

Smash Hero
You are forgetting Klonoa he would be a great second rep for Namco-Bandai even though he looks like he could of been a Sonic character lol.
I'm not listing him for the following reasons:
1) He had 3 titles released internationally with 1 being a remake of the 1st game. None of these sold incredibly well or "revolutionized" any real part of gaming unlike our current 3rd Parties, Snake as a veteran, and the leaked newcomer Ryu.
2) His other 4 games were failures to the point that they were not internationally released.
3) His last appearance was in late 2002 in japan only as a protagonist. His last appearance AT ALL was Namco x Capcom in late 2005. When a character and series is not touched by their own makers for a decade, they really shouldn't be discussed as 3rd Party Newcomers. And before the "last touched" point is argued for :4megaman:, while there was a LONG gap between 8 and 9, the various incarnations of him with all the sub series never made Megaman Irrelevant.

Speculation in a nutshell.

View attachment 48828

:231:
And yet ANOTHER reminder that I need to pick up Dual Destinies....

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
In all honesty....

....is a more logical Xeno DLC character than Fiora or Cross or any other 'blade rep at the moment. KOS-MOS is still super unlikely though, as I think another Namco rep is questionable and several others would be vying for that spot regardless.

I think Xenoblade will almost definitely get a new character come Smash NX (or whatever console is the Wii U's successor,) but I doubt the series will see another DLC rep this go around. I'd personally be all for it as I love the characters in the series (as long as Isaac still gets in first.)
Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenosaga are two different franchises. They are even made by two different companies.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Xenoblade Chronicles and Xenosaga are two different franchises. They are even made by two different companies.
All created by Monolith Soft though, same as Xenogears, even if they were not Monolith Soft at the time. They are very much considered a meta-series by most people due to the talent involved in their creation, the reoccurring theme and plot elements, and even the similarities in characters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xeno_(series)
http://www.giantbomb.com/xeno/3025-2509/

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

Team Rocket Meowth would be ideal for me if we can have him mix mechas or other Team Rocket Pokemon in his moveset. Hell, he'd probably be my favourite newcomer...unless Captain Toad turns up.

(I love these Pokemon in Onesie images)
I came up with a revised moveset for Meowth.

B: Pay Day

Meowth throws a bunch of coins the same way he does in Brawl. Hold down the button and Meowth will keep throwing coins but the range will gradually shrink. When the coin on Meowth's forehead shines, it means Meowth can throw more coins than usual (bigger range).

Side+B: Pickup Power

Meowth zips past an opponent (with after image effects) and picks up a random item (Lip's Stick, Banana Peel, Ray Gun, etc.). It works even with items turned off. When the coin on Meowth's forehead shines, it means Meowth can pick up the effects of a random item (Super Mushroom, Metal Box, Superspicy Curry, etc.).

This is based on Meowth's Pickup ability and three item-stealing moves: Thief, Snatch, and Covet. and doubles as a homage to Team Rocket Meowth since he likes to steal. The name comes from a Meowth card (Pokemon Trading Card Game).

Up+B: Fury Swipes

Meowth charges and launches in the direction you choose to go... and Meowth unleashes a flurry of scratches in his path. When the coin on Meowth's forehead shines, it means Meowth can launch further and scratch more.

Down+B: Feint Attack

Meowth flips off the ground and... if you press the button again... pounces on the opponent like how Cat Mario pounces in Super Mario 3D World. When the coin on Meowth's forehead shines, it means Meowth can meteor smash the opponent when he pounces on them (kinda like Captain Falcon's knee).

Final Smash: Meowth's Party

Meowth pulls out his red and white guitar and plays his song. Team Rocket's Pokemon from the games and the anime like Ekans, Koffing, Rattata, Zubat, etc. come to the party and they attack everyone during the song.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
If Wario Ware were to ever get a 2nd rep, whom do think would have the best chances out of all of them?
Who would like to see most?
I think Mona has the best chances, but would love to see Ashley being playable instead.

A few people I know of want MagiKoopa/Kammy Koopa in, but I think Ashley would make a more notable magician/witch character.

I've had these ideas for her moves for a while being references to other Nintendo games which is what Wario Ware does really well.

Remember Super Mario World, Castle 3?

Magi Koopa shoots out these magic shapes at you which change other things if it misses you.

This could be Ashley's side B, useful for interupting other physical projectiles and maybe turning them into food for Ashley or Slimes that hop towards and attack her enemies! >:D

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
If Wario Ware were to ever get a 2nd rep, whom do think would have the best chances out of all of them?
I think Mona has the best chances, but would love to see Ashley being playable instead.

A few people I know of want MagiKoopa/Kammy Koopa in, but I think Ashley would make a more notable magician/witch character.

I've had these ideas for her moves for a while being references to other Nintendo games which is what Wario Ware does really well.

Magi Koopa shoots out these magic shapes at you which change other things if it misses you.

This could be Ashley's side B, useful for interupting other physical projectiles and maybe turning them into food for Ashley or Slimes that hop towards and attack her enemies! >:D
Ashley support? Oh no not again...

Only if Pantaloonus Giganticus is a Final Smash, and if I can turn Wii Fit Trainer into a spoon.

Ashley would be our first "stat-fighter", she'd poison, slow, freeze and burn opponents with her magic.

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Do you think they'll have a announcement on the 28th, just to clear up some details about future DLC?

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Ashley support? Oh no not again...

Only if Pantaloonus Giganticus is a Final Smash, and if I can turn Wii Fit Trainer into a spoon.

Ashley would be our first "stat-fighter", she'd poison, slow, freeze and burn opponents with her magic.
:laugh: Pantaloonus Giganticus as a final smash would be really cute and funny!

I was thinking that too, Ashley would be like a "Reverse Shulk" if you will, negating other characters stats and attributes (EX: Making a character heavier or fall faster to get more comboes, but it would be in turn harder to kill them for a while of course)

This would serve to make her yet another unique Smash character for the roster, inticing even people who are not Ashley/Wario Ware fans to pick her up! :grin:

Do you think they'll have a announcement on the 28th, just to clear up some details about future DLC?
Most likely, and also Mewtwo prolly be getting his custom moves by that point too since we know they are already in the game but unfinished.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
The more I play of Pirate's Curse, the more I realise Shantae's moveset practically writes itself.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
:laugh: Pantaloonus Giganticus as a final smash would be really cute and funny!

I was thinking that too, Ashley would be like a "Reverse Shulk" if you will, negating other characters stats and attributes (EX: Making a character heavier or fall faster to get more comboes, but it would be in turn harder to kill them for a while of course)

This would serve to make her yet another unique Smash character for the roster, inticing even people who are not Ashley/Wario Ware fans to pick her up! :grin:

Most likely, and also Mewtwo prolly be getting his custom moves by that point too since we know they are already in the game but unfinished.
This is a really cool concept, but I don't know about making a character heavier. Lighter characters would benefit from this, and heavier characters would have their recoveries hampered. I do think poison and stuff would be cool though.

Burruni

Smash Hero

If Wario's getting a sidekick on the roster, it would be Waluigi. But of the Warioware cast, it's clear that Ashley is seen for the most potential while being one of the most popular overall.
Typical broom riding with Up+B, down+B I see being something that summons Red to be a short term and weak partner that pursues enemies like an Assist Trophy. While side B bein an anti-projectile projectile, I could see the neutral B being an inverse of Shulks: She would switch around various nefarious potions that force opponents to have status ailments with some benefits but mostly being an issue and after it is chosen, the next usage would toss one with some internal cooldown for conjuring another, for balance .

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
If Wario's getting a sidekick on the roster, it would be Waluigi. But of the Warioware cast, it's clear that Ashley is seen for the most potential while being one of the most popular overall.
Typical broom riding with Up+B, down+B I see being something that summons Red to be a short term and weak partner that pursues enemies like an Assist Trophy. While side B bein an anti-projectile projectile, I could see the neutral B being an inverse of Shulks: She would switch around various nefarious potions that force opponents to have status ailments with some benefits but mostly being an issue and after it is chosen, the next usage would toss one with some internal cooldown for conjuring another, for balance .
I think the only reason why Waluigi isn't playable is because he strangely hasn't appeared in a Wario Land/Ware game.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
This is a really cool concept, but I don't know about making a character heavier. Lighter characters would benefit from this, and heavier characters would have their recoveries hampered. I do think poison and stuff would be cool though.
Yeah... she might turn out to be too OP with devious tools like this... :demon:
But I figured you could just make these kind of moves hard to hit with, or be secondary but random factors on specials or throws.

I also thought it would be real funny if she swings Red around by his tail for her Smash attacks! xD

It'd be a good way to show off how her personality is and their relationship to others very well~

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Ashley has magic wand, rides a broom, brews potions, has a sidekick of her own and has an awesome song to top it off. That screams potential.

At least her popularity was acknowledged by her inclusion as an Assist Trophy. When Smash 5 rolls around she will likely be among the forerunners.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
For the debuffs...How about it boosts some stats making it literally a Monado Art you give to enemies?
I'm not sure how you could balance that out without benefiting the opponent in some way. Well... I think Shulk players would have a fun time with Speed on twice at the same time. :) Imagine Kirby with Jump on twoce at the same time. O.O

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
No they're not made by two different companies. They're PUBLISHED by two different companies. That's a huge, huge difference there. Monolith Soft made and was responsible for both franchises, and Xenoblade is essentially a spiritual successor to Xenosaga and Xenogears.

It still probably wouldn't happen, but frankly I think KOS-MOS is more likely to be a second "Xeno" character than another character from Xenoblade at this point. And as it stands that's incredibly unlikely as is.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Ashley has magic wand, rides a broom, brews potions, has a sidekick of her own and has an awesome song to top it off. That screams potential.

At least her popularity was acknowledged by her inclusion as an Assist Trophy. When Smash 5 rolls around she will likely be among the forerunners.

We can only hope and pray so at this point~
And how cool would it be if Ashley earned her own spinoff game before a Smash 5 came out? That would guarantee her inclusion!
It could take elements from Wario Ware, Cooking Mama, Zelda & Mario and mesh them all together! :roll:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
For the halibut, and because @ Burruni Burruni 's post was both insightful and entertaining, this is my "who's viable?" list per series:

:4mario: Captain Toad (i.e. Toad by proxy) is the only "big name" character left in the main series, I think. Waluigi and Daisy are potential candidates, but I can't see either happening unless they appear in a mainline title. Paper Mario could be a potentially viable left-fielder.
:4yoshi: Kamek at a stretch, I guess?
:4wario2: Captain Syrup is the only named recurring character aside from The Wa himself, but that's very unlikely.
:4wario: Ashley seems to be the most popular choice, though her status as an AT scuppers her chances. After that, it's a toss-up between Mona, Jimmy T and possibly 9-Volt.
:4dk: Dixie and K. Rool. No reason we can't get both!
:4link: Impa seems to be the most likely recurring character. Ganon is a possibility, and I think Tingle would be a good candidate if not for his status as an AT. Other popular choices, like Ghirahim and Midna, in addition to being ATs, will be in a good position if they appear in future games.
:4pikachu: So much to choose from, yet very few particularly stand out. Aside from a reworked Pokémon Trainer and possibly Squirtle and / or Ivysaur, this is pretty much a case of picking your favourite and sticking with it.
:4kirby: Bandana Dee, as he's become the fourth hero in recent games. Magolor ought to make another mainline appearance before he's properly considered.
:4samus: Ridley is the top dog here, but that ship has long since sailed, and Dark Samus is the best runner-up. Out of those remaining, I reckon Rundas or Sylux have the best chance, but that's not saying much. Adam or Anthony would be up there, if only by default, but they're not exactly fan favourites.
:4pit: Toss-up between Viridi, Medusa and Hades - pick your favourite. Unless a supporting character like Phosphora or Arlon makes a huge impact in a future title, a main antagonist seems like the best choice. Magnus, in addition to being an AT, doesn't really do much in the first place. Decloned Pittoo seems the most likely right now.
:4fox: Wolf and Krystal. Anything beyond that is superfluous.
:4falcon: An antagonist, maybe? I don't think anybody stands out as much as Cap.
:4marth: Roy's a popular veteran and almost confirmed at this stage. Tiki and Anna are recurring and popular characters, thereby putting them above 90% of the cast by default. Not sure if appearing in a sequel counts as recurring, but let's consider the Black Knight and Micaiah as very low-key contenders. If the new game does well, Kamui may have a good chance.
:4littlemac: Doc Louis? This is pretty much the extent of the series.
:4ness: Porky is the most important recurring character in the series, seems as good a choice as any. The Masked Man has some decent fan support and Ninten would make an interesting alt. That said, the chances of any of them getting in are very slim.
:4wiifit: Again, this is the extent of the series.
:4olimar: Ibid.
:4villagerf: Tom Nook or Isabelle, as they're both important to the "story"; Nook is a recurring character and Isabelle is very popular in spite of her thus far single appearance.
:4shulk: Metal Face More than likely another hero, pick your favourite.
:4gaw: (retro) Ice Climbers if they can be fixed. Takamaru has a very good chance if he gets another game, and beyond that, there are a few to choose from, e.g. Mach Rider and Lip. I don't think any of them are too likely, though.
:4sonic: (third-party) Snake is in a good position by virtue of being a veteran. Ryu is pretty much confirmed. As for another third-party character entirely, I think Rayman has the best chance, owing to his foot already being in the door and huge fan support.

Last edited:

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I think if Punch-out had another rep, it would be Bald Bull. Slower, stronger, doesn't have Mac's weakness of bad air game and bad recovery, but instead has a different weakness via crippling end lag on whiff for all his moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom