• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Ok theres some news

Shovel knight is going to become a japanese game as well now

That might get sovel knight an atvantage in the ballot.
I doubt it - seems like too little, too late to have any chance of even slightly impacting overall Japanese voting habits.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Smash has so many Street Fighter references that it's not surprising.

:4zss:Up B is similar to Chun-Li's Tenshoyken

:4lucario:in general

:4drmario:Is like a much more aggressive Mario aka Evil Ryu

Heck then there's Street Foghter references in other Nintendo games:4kirby:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Since you guys were talking about Castlevania a couple pages back, I have to ask...
Wouldn't the most recognizable and recurring character in the series not be Simon Belmont...
But Dracula himself?

Graizen

Smash Champion
Smash has so many Street Fighter references that it's not surprising.

:4zss:Up B is similar to Chun-Li's Tenshoyken

:4lucario:in general

:4drmario:Is like a much more aggressive Mario aka Evil Ryu

Heck then there's Street Foghter references in other Nintendo games:4kirby:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Glad I'm not the only one who noticed Yoshi's victory pose.

Every time I see it I'm honestly expecting to see this flash on his back:

TKactual

Smash Journeyman
That's only 2 clones.
Who is clone 3?
I believe they have been trying to say that marth lucina and Roy are all clones of each other which would lead them to 3 clones, but technically lucina and Roy are clones of marth, but we still do have 3 characters with movesets that resemble eachother therefore 3....... I think.

D

Deleted member

I don't think this is going to happen though.

That's also a very Capcom-y move.
I don't think Nintendo is above nickel and diming their customers. Pokémon Shuffle is proof of that.

But that's not the only reason why I feel we could see "Smash 6" as Super Smash Bros. NX.

D

Deleted member

I don't think Nintendo is above nickel and diming their customers. Pokémon Shuffle is proof of that.

But that's not the only reason why I feel we could see "Smash 6" as Super Smash Bros. NX.
Even though "Smash 6" was listed for Wii U and 3DS.

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace
By the time of Smash 5 XCX is gonna be old news~
Then by that very logic, Splatoon will also be old news. I guess we won't have a Splatoon character in Smash 5. :p

By the time Smash 5 begins development (assuming it comes out in 5-6 years), XCX will still be relatively new.

Last edited:

TKactual

Smash Journeyman
Then by that very logic, Splatoon will also be old news. I guess we won't have a Splatoon character in Smash 5. :p

By the time Smash 5 begins development (assuming it comes out in 5-6 years), XCX will still be relatively new.
Yes but splatoon is online multiplayer based, people will continue playing it for a long while.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
So we are going to have Marth (tipper), Lyn (aller) and Roy (baser) to incorporate all the strength points of a sword: Tip, even blade, and base.

Hmmm... I think they can stop with Marth clones after this. They are running out of blades.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Mii Brawler's Onslaught is "Instantaneous Hundred Rending Legs" in Japan, which is referencing quite directly to Chun-Li's Hyakuretsukyaku ("Hundred Rending Legs").

But yeah, this game puts plenty love to SF.

D

Deleted member

So we are going to have Marth (tipper), Lyn (aller) and Roy (baser) to incorporate all the strength points of a sword: Tip, even blade, and base.

Hmmm... I think they can stop with Marth clones after this. They are running out of blades.
Lyn? Don't you mean Lucina?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Difference being Elma doesn't have much if any popularity now, so several years in the future, she's not suddenly going to get that much more.

Second, the Xenoblade series is either going to go dormant after XCX, meaning it'd only have two games, making it unlikely to get another character, or it will get a new game, presumably with a new cast, making it unlikely we get Elma. On the other hand, Splatoon, which seems like Nintendo is aiming to make a series, will probably always have Inklings as its protagonists.

Last edited:

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Difference being Elma doesn't have much if any popularity now, so several years in the future, she's not suddenly going to get that much more.
Unless she becomes a meme (that's the easiest way to make someone popular)

Second, the Xenoblade series is either going to go dormant after XCX, meaning it'd only have two games, making it unlikely to get another character, or it will get a new game, presumably with a new cast, making it unlikely we get Elma. On the other hand, Splatoon, which seems like Nintendo is aiming to make a series, will probably always have Inklings as its protagonists.
Inklings will be the Nintendo FPS Miis

Senatiator

Smash Apprentice
Now... That Yoshi pose... Was the first sign of Ryu coming to smash?
Not sure what you're getting at.
Yoshi has been doing that pose since the first Super Smash Bros game. If anything people should be getting Yoshi flashbacks every time when Akuma imitates Yoshi's pose.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Lyn? Don't you mean Lucina?
Yes. That is the one.

I understand not changing Mewtwo's moveset in terms of actual move changes other than slight animation adjustments. The playstyle was just made to work and I have to say, Mewtwo (and all the characters) really seem to flow and just pop out more this time around.

And I understand the same with Lucas. Falco and Ganondorf in Brawl were changed enough to not be just a simple stat adjustment. Lucas was created with move changes baked into his build.

However, Roy could be different. If he were to have returned in Brawl, he might have had a different special or other adjustments like Falco and Ganondorf. If his base-of-the-sword-hitting-harder mechanic is kept, I think having a leaping slash (like Link's dash) would help his playstyle revolve around getting his playstyle to work.

Also, perhaps his eruption can have a vacuum effect such as Ganondorf's up tilt. Also, having tilts and moves that either include Roy stepping back or stepping forward can slide the odds in his favor to connecting the base.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Not sure what you're getting at.
Yoshi has been doing that pose since the first Super Smash Bros game. If anything people should be getting Yoshi flashbacks every time when Akuma imitates Yoshi's pose.
Yeah but Akuma predates Smash Bros by 5 years

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yep, the US hates Cutesy stuff.

That's why we have :4pikachu:in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

You.... kinda need to get some data if you're gonna make that claim. Because I could make the counter argument of Tingle's Rosy Ruppeeland which was never released in the US but came out in Europe which is far from cutesy.
Pikachu is the mascot of the second best selling franchise, and the trope name 'Americans hate Tingle' is enough. Starfy was mentioned there iirc

D

Deleted member

Yes. That is the one.

I understand not changing Mewtwo's moveset in terms of actual move changes other than slight animation adjustments. The playstyle was just made to work and I have to say, Mewtwo (and all the characters) really seem to flow and just pop out more this time around.

And I understand the same with Lucas. Falco and Ganondorf in Brawl were changed enough to not be just a simple stat adjustment. Lucas was created with move changes baked into his build.

However, Roy could be different. If he were to have returned in Brawl, he might have had a different special or other adjustments like Falco and Ganondorf. If his base-of-the-sword-hitting-harder mechanic is kept, I think having a leaping slash (like Link's dash) would help his playstyle revolve around getting his playstyle to work.

Also, perhaps his eruption can have a vacuum effect such as Ganondorf's up tilt. Also, having tilts and moves that either include Roy stepping back or stepping forward can slide the odds in his favor to connecting the base.
Pretty much how I see it.

I don't think Roy is going to be full Melee clone or there would be little reason to bring him back. I'd imagine he go through the same kind of evolution as fellow Melee clones Ganondorf and Falco (and technically Dr. Mario, but that's more because Mario had changes).
I can see Flare Blade being altered to be a ranged attack like in his home game, for example.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Pretty much how I see it.

I don't think Roy is going to be full Melee clone or there would be little reason to bring him back. I'd imagine he go through the same kind of evolution as fellow Melee clones Ganondorf and Falco (and technically Dr. Mario, but that's more because Mario had changes).
I can see Flare Blade being altered to be a ranged attack like in his home game, for example.
FE translations, should try some out
After remembering Roy was cut from Brawl I realized something. This means he could be a semi clone

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Warning Received
Yep, the US hates Cutesy stuff.

That's why we have :4pikachu:in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

You.... kinda need to get some data if you're gonna make that claim. Because I could make the counter argument of Tingle's Rosy Ruppeeland which was never released in the US but came out in Europe which is far from cutesy.
Pikachu is an icon and people love him because h s cute and cool. People hate Tingle for same reason why people were turned off of characters like Jar-Jar (coming from a guy who never liked Star Wars at all), he was annoying piece of crap and acts like a flaming:192:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Roy being a semi clone is much more of a deal than you'd think, Roy's fans will be pleased and casuals will think he's a cool new unique fighter, as would a casual player want to buy a rather unique character, or one that's a cookie-cutter clone? Given his FE stats he's still a ****-lord to many. Wait, did I just?

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Roy being a semi clone is much more of a deal than you'd think, Roy's fans will be pleased and casuals will think he's a cool new unique fighter, as would a casual player want to buy a rather unique character, or one that's a cookie-cutter clone? Given his FE stats he's still a ****-lord to many. Wait, did I just?
Hardcore Roy fans might not be too totally happy, however. I get the impression that a lot of Falco fans, the ones who played him in Melee at least, weren't exactly happy with the changes to his character in Brawl. In fact, the desire to recreate Melee Falco in Brawl through modding is what led us to Project M, apparently.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Hardcore Roy fans might not be too totally happy, however. I get the impression that a lot of Falco fans, the ones who played him in Melee at least, weren't exactly happy with the changes to his character in Brawl. In fact, the desire to recreate Melee Falco in Brawl through modding is what led us to Project M, apparently.
I believe Roy would get some buffs, and I think fans should be happy their character is returning

Bebe Mignon

Smash Ace

Of course she's currently not popular among the gaming community, the game isn't even out yet (though she's pretty popular in the Xenoblade forums/threads at GameFAQs and NeoGAF).

By the time a hypothetical new Xenoblade game comes out, none of the characters from the hypothetical new cast will be considered for Smash 5. The Smash roster is determined at the beginning of development, which could be a couple years before the next Xenoblade game comes out. (I hope what I'm saying makes sense since English is not my primary language).

I certainly hope the series doesn't become dormant, but I doubt it will because it seems like it will at least be moderately successful. I can imagine it becoming the next Fire Emblem, but we'll see. :)

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021

I agree. Like Super Mario Galaxy/2 is relatively new, too imo......but even newer.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I agree. Like Super Mario Galaxy/2 is relatively new, too imo......but even newer.
(Looks at all the music in Super Mario Galaxy/2. Sees "A Fated Battle".) Yes! We got the awesome final battle theme! (Listen's to the song. My reaction thirty minutes in is: ) What the heck is this?!? Why did we get "A Fated Battle" over "A Final Battle With Bowser"!!!!!! (sighs) If we ever get music as DLC I hope it's "A Final Battle With Bowser", the Purple Commet music, and "Alternate Route" (Koopa's Road Remix)

But enough of my grievances of music that nobody cares about. I wonder. If you could pick a Pokémon that isn't Sceptile, Zoruark, or a veteran, who would you pick? (I say no Sceptile or Zoruark because I don't want that to be the only two answers. ;))

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom