• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Last edited:
So looks like some of the frontrunners appear to be from games which aren't represented in Smash Bros, in regards to characters and stages.

In King K Rool's case, the developers would only have to make the character and that's it. They wouldnt have to add any extra content, like a stage, music, trophies,etc

Would you think this is an advantage or something that wouldn't really matter too much? With that KKR is already from a franchise which is represented?

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Someone datamined soundfiles or something for the new update, and it shows Ryu and Roy.

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/32nymz/smash_update_106_decrypted_first_observations/

What do you guys think? Ryu from Street Fighter and Roy's Our Boy?

I personally listened to the sound files, but people are claiming it to be Ryu from Street Fighter's theme from Street Fighter 2.
This is breaking my heart and shows that the Japanese audience is what really matters.... :*(

Wolf has a bigger fanbase then those two combined and yet it matters not...

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
If we get Roy back, amazing, my boy's home again,

But I am literally in a state of confusion, hype and mystery right now.I don't know what's happening anymore!
Diddy getting nerfed, Mewtwo's return, is the Smash Bros world falling in on itself!?

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
There are people who have good reasons to vote for Shovel Knight and Bayonetta too, they fit the game very well and lots of potential for a moveset, moreso with Bayonetta.
Bayonetta is a demonic witch with guns on her stripper shoes. Perfect fit.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Can anyone with a good knowledge of datamining double-check that information? Apparently there are reports contradicting that and saying that neither of Lucas, Roy or Ryu show up in the big file list.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Can't say I'm too impressed with the idea of Roy and Ryu getting in. I can accept Ryu (as long as he's not a Little Mac clone or something...) but the thought of us getting another Marth clone makes me want to apply my face to the nearest desk.

On the plus side these choices probably aren't related to the ballot.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ryu? When Street Fighter V is going to be exclusive to PS4 and PC? In the same Smash Bros. game that doesn't even feature Snake? Okay then.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Ryu? When Street Fighter V is going to be exclusive to PS4 and PC? In the same Smash Bros. game that doesn't even feature Snake? Okay then.
Ryu still has more history with Nintendo than Snake ever did.

Street Fighter II on the SNES anyone?

And it seems the files for the music are SF2 rips.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I would like a second look from another person before we assume this is real.

If it is, the return of Roy greatly confuses me.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Can't say I'm too impressed with the idea of Roy and Ryu getting in. I can accept Ryu (as long as he's not a Little Mac clone or something...) .
Why in the world would Ryu be a Mac clone?

Ignoring all the crazy **** Ryu can do, Karate isn't Boxing.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
If Ryu gets in, that opens the flood gates for multiple reps from third party companies.

That means I will be campaigning HARD for some combination of Snake/Bomberman/Simon Belmont. You guys should, too. You know if in your hearts.

This is breaking my heart and shows that the Japanese audience is what really matters.... :*(

Wolf has a bigger fanbase then those two combined and yet it matters not...
Wolf has a bigger fanbase than those two in Japan as well, though.

Last edited:

TheBazry64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheBazry64
Why does it have to be Roy as a clone?
Fe got 4 reps and now they may get a 5th?
If they add the clones because they are faster to make, why not add a clone from another franchise like Dark Samus or someone else :(

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Maybe Roy will get the Falco/Ganon treatment?

I mean, Doc is drastically different now.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Looking at the character selection screen, it's pretty odd right now.

Link and Kirby are off on their own separated from the rest of their series. Villager is fine since he's already on his own.

It makes you wonder what it's going to look like when the character dlc has stopped coming....

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
If Ryu gets in, that opens the flood gates for multiple reps from third party companies.

That means I will be campaigning HARD for some combination of Snake/Bomberman/Simon Belmont. You guys should, too. You know if in your hearts.

Wolf has a bigger fanbase than those two in Japan as well, though.
And this is why its stressful, Wolf has huge fan demand, it looks like he was planned for the game, his series is getting a new game, and apparently the devs really like him, so it gets really annoying when he just gets pushed aside for other characters.
As for the third parties, I honestly don't think we'll see more, as if this leak is true, then we'll have 4 third party characters, 2 from the same company, unless one gets a ridiculous amount of votes in the poll, and even then if its someone like Shrek they probably wouldn't do it, they probably have a few limitations on third party characters.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
And this is why its stressful, Wolf has huge fan demand, it looks like he was planned for the game, his series is getting a new game, and apparently the devs really like him, so it gets really annoying when he just gets pushed aside for other characters.
As for the third parties, I honestly don't think we'll see more, as if this leak is true, then we'll have 4 third party characters, 2 from the same company, unless one gets a ridiculous amount of votes in the poll, and even then if its someone like Shrek they probably wouldn't do it, they probably have a few limitations on third party characters.
A couple of things.

1.) The poll is a popularity contest that is meant to inform Nintendo of whom the fans want. The final call is still Sakurai's, and there is no guarantee that any of the top 3-5 most voted characters will even get in.

2.) I don't really believe the leak at the moment. I will continue not believing the leak until I hear it from sources that I actually trust. I'm not saying it's fake... I am just saying that I have little reason to think it's true. Why would Nintendo include this data so early? Lucas isn't even out yet and Nintendo knows that we datamine their patches and updates.

The only thing that would make sense to me, if this leak is true, would be Lucas, Ryu, and Roy being released at the same time... perhaps as a pack. It would explain why Lucas' price hasn't yet been revealed. (Also, Snake/Bomberman/Wolf/K. Rool bundle for E3! Let me dream!)

3.) I still can't imagine Wolf not getting in. He is super popular and easy to implement. I have a feeling that if we don't see Wolf by E3 that the number of votes he will receive in the ballot will sky rocket.

4.) I would be super happy to have Roy back. It would just be strange to see him without Wolf, Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Ice Climbers. Still, Roy's my boy.

5.) Seriously, vote Bomberman/Simon/Snake if this is true. It would mean that there is no strict "one third party character per company rule."

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Whenever I enter my mewtwo code it says that's it's "before distribution" which is bull**** so pissed at Nintendo right now.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

I did actually support Bomberman quite actively when I was younger (circa pre-Brawl era). After playing Brawl, I had the notion that he'd be a great Snake clone, albeit smaller and lighter, in a similar vein to the Link / Toon Link dichotomy.

While I'm not nearly as much of a Bomberfan as I used to be, and I definitely think he has enough potential to not merely stand in as a last-minute clone, the thought of him appearing in the roster warms my heart.

Simon Belmont would be amazing. He almost works too well in Smash, to the extent that narrowing down a moveset for him would be a tricky job.

I'm skeptical with regards to the Ryu "leak", but it'd be pretty cool. Neutral-b Hadouken, side-b Tatsumaki Senpukyaku, up-b Shoryuken, down-b Counter [actually not too sure about this one]? Ken (or at least Evil Ryu) as an alt? Perfect soundtrack and stage? Victory quotes and taunts out the wazoo? Hell yeah! I'd play it!

Though what would honestly make me more hype would be a second Namco character. Susumu Hori plz~ ;w;

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Yeah, I mean we all tend to speculate; but let's not get ourselves hyped for something that may not actually happen. :p
- He says, missing the caveat that I am skeptical and suggesting these moves for the lulz.

And anyway, everybody knows Cody is the superior Street Fighter.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Sakurai states he won't add a character from a fighting game. He states he won't do DLC.

He now adds the most famous fighting game character of all time in. As DLC.

Can we all agree this man is filled to the brim with total bull**** and no one should ever use anything he says as gospel for the next batch of Smash speculation. At this rate I'm half expecting Ridley and the ice Climbers to return.

Still, Roy was one of my favourites from the cuts and Ryu is certainly of legendary status. This could be fun.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Sakurai states he won't add a character from a fighting game. He states he won't do DLC.

He now adds the most famous fighting game character of all time in. As DLC.

Can we all agree this man is filled to the brim with total bull**** and no one should ever use anything he says as gospel for the next batch of Smash speculation. At this rate I'm half expecting Ridley and the ice Climbers to return.

Still, Roy was one of my favourites from the cuts and Ryu is certainly of legendary status. This could be fun.
If the "Ryu" was actually reffering to Ridley, I could just imagine the ****storm that would result. :p

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I was just listening to the victory tunes on youtube. Ryu's seems so short compared to the Roy (Fire Emblem) and Lucas (Earthbound) tunes.

Aren't all the victory tunes around the same length?

Geno Boost

Smash Master
i dont mind having Ryu in SSB4 but if the leak is real thats mean Namco and SEGA fans are going to be very annoying because capcom gets all the love but not them so they will beg for another 2nd character from those companies and maybe its going to have alot of 3rd parties in the future (SSB5?) from the same company and the game wont be "nintendo all star" anymore

but i will be very happy if Roy come back he is my melee main and he is my 3rd most wanted character

Last edited:
Darn i thought i was the only one who made the ryu=dragon=ridley joke

Too bad its a strret fighter theme

Still dont believe it yet. Waiting on pushDustin.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I don't believe it for a second, at least not without legit evidence, but it's fun to think about how it'd work.

For the lulz, if I could choose a new character from each of the remaining represented third-party companies:

Konami - Simon Belmont
SEGA - Alicia Melchiott
Namco - Susumu Hori

LET ME DREAM. ;w;

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I feel like the arrival of Mewtwo might be slowing down any potential debunking on this whole Ryu/Roy thing.

Give it a day or two and we'll see if it holds up.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Oh, right. I honestly forgot about Myuutsu with all the balance patch hype, which I'm actually more excited about.

That said, my brother won't be home to redeem the codes for another hour, and the system update refuses to work for me - it just gets as far as the installation and then instantly crashes. Anybody have a similar issue?

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I feel like the arrival of Mewtwo might be slowing down any potential debunking on this whole Ryu/Roy thing.

Give it a day or two and we'll see if it holds up.
The timing is just about right.

Mewtwo is distracting everyone while the leak gains steam...

Burruni

Smash Hero
Can we talk about how Ryu's "victory theme" is about half the length of every other character's and sounds like it was ripped straight from SF2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom