• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
That's why I'm not going to be stunned if we get just Mewtwo and Ice Climbers. I'm 99% expecting the Climbers to be back.

Well if its a bunch of crappy characters (like 75% of the newcomers) than of course not!

But if it has Ice Climbers, Wolf, and King K. I might bite.

Plus didn't UMvC3 give like 6?

If we get like 6, I wouldn't buy something like this:
Chorus Men, Chrom, Waluigi, Captain Toad, Dixie Kong, Dillon, Wonder Red

I'd shell $100 for:
Ice Climbers, Wolf, King K, Lucas, Roy, Snake, Lip, Squirtle, Ivysaur
I'd pay $60 for Captain Toad alone.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
The Wolf, Mewtwo and Isaac icons look so off. I'm surprised you thought they looked nice.

They don't match the other characters at all. Also moving the clones next to their series is a huge red flag in my opinion.
Actually, moving the clones next to their franchises is something I think is highly likely to happen with DLC. No, it wasn't the renders, it was the way he managed to play the music and everything, but I'm now convinced it is fake. I think he played the music on a different 3DS.

ImOnlyHereToTalkStarFox

Smash Journeyman

This video was posted on another forum....

I do not know what to think. Lack of a new DK character is still unnerving. Can anyone debunk this? (Isaac is nice, though...)

EDIT:

Bandana Dee appears identical to this: http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111002085712/kirby/en/images/c/c8/KRtDL_Waddle_Dee.png

It seemed convincing due to the audio, but the pic itself I'm thinking is fake. Figured I'd post it, though. Can you display images on the 3DS screen?
Eww that wolf picture looked soo bad. Maybe that makes it believable these days :p lol

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Actually, moving the clones next to their franchises is something I think is highly likely to happen with DLC. No, it wasn't the renders, it was the way he managed to play the music and everything, but I'm now convinced it is fake. I think he played the music on a different 3DS.
Plus, I think Yoshi would have switched places with the Doc at that point.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I am going to advocate for Ghirahim as a DLC fighter until there is a new Smash Bros.
What hypocrisy that characters that have trophies in the game can be DLC...but Assist Trophies can't! You cannot convince me that it's different, because it is exactly the same issue; they already have content in the game and if they were playable it could conflict with that.
Unlike Midna, who I realize I simply have to let go this time, he's not an old character either.
I feel like even if there were just two or three more newcomers introduced in Smash 4, Ghirahim would be in. I feel he barely missed the boat because he fits all of the 'criteria' set by Sakurai, and exceeds them, especially now with Hyrule Warriors being out.

I was thinking maybe Ghirahim and Impa (as a Sheik clone) could come in a Zelda-themed pack. Maybe bring back an old stage, like Hyrule Castle or Great Bay, and it's not already in the game, Pirate Ship.

/endrant

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I am going to advocate for Ghirahim as a DLC fighter until there is a new Smash Bros.
What hypocrisy that characters that have trophies in the game can be DLC...but Assist Trophies can't! You cannot convince me that it's different, because it is exactly the same issue; they already have content in the game and if they were playable it could conflict with that.
Unlike Midna, who I realize I simply have to let go this time, he's not an old character either.
I feel like even if there were just two or three more newcomers introduced in Smash 4, Ghirahim would be in. I feel he barely missed the boat because he fits all of the 'criteria' set by Sakurai, and exceeds them, especially now with Hyrule Warriors being out.

I was thinking maybe Ghirahim and Impa (as a Sheik clone) could come in a Zelda-themed pack. Maybe bring back an old stage, like Hyrule Castle or Great Bay, and it's not already in the game, Pirate Ship.

/endrant
Its complete and totally different, though. The #1 character I'd advocate for in this situation is Ridley, but a trophy doesn't do anything. Its just there, and playable characters have trophies as well. I mean, if you're going to argue that, then we can't have ANY playable characters because they'll have a separate role as a trophy as well.

This is a ludicrous argument, and its not hypocrisy in the slightest. Every character that has a role in the game has a trophy, period. A trophy isn't a "role," its a collectable item.

I'm not saying characters with a role can't be a DLC character either, though. You can advocate for Ghirahim all you want. The argument that these situations are the same thing is ludicrous, though, and I personally (blatantly) do not believe that any character with a role will be a DLC character. If its possible, though, I'd gladly advocate for Ridley DLC.

Fireriku546

Smash Rookie
I hope Chrom and Vaati are in as DLC just to be an absolute badass in Smash, even though I can do that already with Bowser, Ike, and even Rosalina (not that it's difficult to do so.)

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Its complete and totally different, though. The #1 character I'd advocate for in this situation is Ridley, but a trophy doesn't do anything. Its just there, and playable characters have trophies as well. I mean, if you're going to argue that, then we can't have ANY playable characters because they'll have a separate role as a trophy as well.
This is a ludicrous argument, and its not hypocrisy in the slightest. Every character that has a role in the game has a trophy, period. A trophy isn't a "role," its a collectable item.
A collectable item is still a role. It still serves a purpose in the game. It is content. It has to either be removed, altered, or ignored if a new character is added. Just like an Assist Trophy.
What are they going to do with Mewtwo's trophy in the game? Maybe I liked that trophy. If they removed it, that wouldn't be fair to me. You could say, "well, if you liked it, you'll like the character more". But how does that not apply to Assist Trophies?
If Mewtwo was a Poke Ball summon, would be not be fair game? Would it suddenly be completely out-of-the-question? I don't think so. It was completely not in the game. It wasn't planned at all. Mewtwo was made DLC because there was a huge demand for it. Not because there was demand and ALSO because he was only in the game as a trophy. It wouldn't have mattered.

Now, am I going to say Ghirahim has nearly this much star power? Of course not. But this isn't about Ghirahim.
Also, FYI, trophies do have a set, gameplay-altering function, as they have specific powers in Smash Tour.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
A collectable item is still a role. It still serves a purpose in the game. It is content. It has to either be removed, altered, or ignored if a new character is added. Just like an Assist Trophy.
What are they going to do with Mewtwo's trophy in the game? Maybe I liked that trophy. If they removed it, that wouldn't be fair to me. You could say, "well, if you liked it, you'll like the character more". But how does that not apply to Assist Trophies?
If Mewtwo was a Poke Ball summon, would be not be fair game? Would it suddenly be completely out-of-the-question? I don't think so. It was completely not in the game. It wasn't planned at all. Mewtwo was made DLC because there was a huge demand for it. Not because there was demand and ALSO because he was only in the game as a trophy. It wouldn't have mattered.

Now, am I going to say Ghirahim has nearly this much star power? Of course not. But this isn't about Ghirahim.
Also, FYI, trophies do have a set, gameplay-altering function, as they have specific powers in Smash Tour.
Where are you getting this idea that they'd have to "remove" Mewtwo's trophy? They don't have to do anything of the sort. A trophy doesn't have to be removed. Just create a new one based on his official artwork! That's all you need. Or the Mewtwo trophy IS the trophy you get when beating Classic with Mewtwo. An Assist Trophy, Pokeball, Boss, or whatever, is still a different sort of role that has to be dealt with. A trophy doesn't need anything done to it (except PERHAPS in the case of a new franchise being added, where the trophies from a set franchise would need to be changed to work with an existing franchise).

With trophies, you just add more of them. You don't "remove" anything. Numerous characters have multiple trophies of them, especially playable ones. Anything more than a trophy requires the content to actually be removed from the game, otherwise there can be more than one version of said character on screen at the same time.

MAYBE it could be argued that if the two versions look different enough, such as in the case of Donkey Kong and Classic DK. Although that doesn't exactly explain why Conductor Link is removed when Link is on the Spirit Train. And even then, Conductor Link is replaced by someone so the role is still filled, and its such a minor role.

In fact, Conductor Link is exactly the reason why most people have come to the conclusion that characters that are in the game as anything more than a trophy won't be DLC.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Where are you getting this idea that they'd have to "remove" Mewtwo's trophy? They don't have to do anything of the sort. A trophy doesn't have to be removed. Just create a new one based on his official artwork! That's all you need. Or the Mewtwo trophy IS the trophy you get when beating Classic with Mewtwo. An Assist Trophy, Pokeball, Boss, or whatever, is still a different sort of role that has to be dealt with. A trophy doesn't need anything done to it (except PERHAPS in the case of a new franchise being added, where the trophies from a set franchise would need to be changed to work with an existing franchise).
I never claimed that as going to be the case. In fact, I think his existing trophy is going to stay exactly as it is. But that is irrelevant, because we don't know what will happen to that trophy. If absolutely nothing happens to it, then I rest my case.

The point I'm trying to accomplish is, a character is a character. An Assist Trophy isn't a character. If they want to make an Assist Trophy a character, they don't have to remove that Assist Trophy. At all. They can reskin it to be someone else either when that character is in play, or just all the time. Or they could simply not do anything to it. That would be the worst case scenario, but I don't think it would be much of an issue. The same applies to a trophy, if they want to add a character in the game who already has a trophy, they do not have to remove it or alter it.
I am not trying to say that a trophy has just as much bearing on the gameplay as am Assist Trophy, but it worth noting that they are called Assist Trophies, not Assist Characters. They are items too.

WieldyMinotaur

Smash Cadet
I will also throw in a DLC predection/wanted list:

Predictions:

1. Dixie Kong
2. Isaac
3. Capitain Toad
4. Roy
5. Bandana Dee

Wanted:

1. Palpitoad
2. Anna
3. Bandana Dee
4. King Boo
5. King K Rool

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
So glad this thread is open again...

DLC Want List

Ice Climbers
Lucas
Isaac
Ivysaur
Squirtle

Kriven

Smash Journeyman
I never claimed that as going to be the case. In fact, I think his existing trophy is going to stay exactly as it is. But that is irrelevant, because we don't know what will happen to that trophy. If absolutely nothing happens to it, then I rest my case.

The point I'm trying to accomplish is, a character is a character. An Assist Trophy isn't a character. If they want to make an Assist Trophy a character, they don't have to remove that Assist Trophy. At all. They can reskin it to be someone else either when that character is in play, or just all the time. Or they could simply not do anything to it. That would be the worst case scenario, but I don't think it would be much of an issue. The same applies to a trophy, if they want to add a character in the game who already has a trophy, they do not have to remove it or alter it.
I am not trying to say that a trophy has just as much bearing on the gameplay as am Assist Trophy, but it worth noting that they are called Assist Trophies, not Assist Characters. They are items too.
Assist Trophies/Bosses/Pokeball Pokemon/Hazards are all active game elements which appear and interact with the player's character avatar on the active game surface (within the stages in which the game is actually played) and cannot be ignored for the sake of consistency. Collectible Trophies are passive elements, and their existence is negligible.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
To be off the topic of this "riveting" trophy argument, an Excitebike themed track was confirmed for Mario Kart 8.

Could this mean anything for the biker himself?

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
To be off the topic of this "riveting" trophy argument, an Excitebike themed track was confirmed for Mario Kart 8.

Could this mean anything for the biker himself?
I wouldn't be stunned if Kirby, Excitebiker, and Falcon make it into the mix as they are all from racing games. It could help his chances for DLC in Smash I guess, if they want to make a new Excitebike game.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As far as who I think will be DLC?

Ice Climbers
Wolf
Chorus Kids
Dixie Kong
King K. Rool

That's honestly the most I see happening, just five more characters. That'd make, when including Mewtwo, three veterans and three newcomers, barring an Inkling perhaps much later on, or Snake if a miracle happens.

Last edited:

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW

Ice Climbers
Wolf
Chorus Kids
Dixie Kong
King K. Rool

That's honestly the most I see happening, just five more characters. That'd make, when including Mewtwo, three veterans and three newcomers, barring an Inkling perhaps much later on, or Snake if a miracle happens.
I'ma liking the King K. Rool you have on the list there. It'd be hilarious if Sakurai made a remark about how he's not in the new DK games (like he sorta did with Captain Falcon when he revealed him) to go along with it.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
There seems to be some character support threads that are still locked, do I have to ask to open a specific thread?
I wanna open the Reasons Newcomers Were Considered Unlikely thread in particular.
I want these support threads open in particular (You can find them in the first 10 pages of the character forum):
-Squirtle
-Classic Ganon
-Fossil Fighters
-Chrom
-Signature Icons Thread (We should make DLC signature icons too)
-Mr. Resetti
-Muddy Mole
-Urban Champion
-Ninten
-Mike Jones
-Balloon Fighter (No deconfirmation of the actual Balloon Fighter himself)
-Tharja
-Claus
-Marshal
-Cia
-Porky
-Simon Belmont
-Donbe and Hikari

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I may be tardy to the party, but I'll still list the 10 DLC fighters I'll be rooting for. I will not list what could they bring to the table, but list what are the many disadvantages they would have that could hinder their inclusion.

King K. Rool - He is the main antagonist of the more popular Donkey Kong Kountry (Intentional given who I'm talking about) games before the Returns Saga occurred and he's arguably one of the Big 3 in the Speculation Scene (With Mewtwo konfirmed and Ridley doomed to be a stage hazard). He could have a zany move set that revolves around his quirky actions, the many personas he had in the franchise, and bring some inspiration from his krocodile henchmen. The only downside, he may have to kompete with the likes of Dixie Kong in the long run.

Rhythm Girl - The cheerful gal that love to groove would be a great addition to the cast since she's arguably the mascot of most Rhythm Heaven games and could come with a wide variety of cute outfits. With both the Chorus Boys and Karate Joe out of the picture, she's still one of the last few potential reps and has the least issues against them (Karate Joe due to being bland and the Chorus Men who could suffer from the "3DS hardware issue"). The only downside I see against her is that she could be seen as redundant and that Rhythm Heaven as a whole could only be seen as exciting to the Japanese fan base.

Captain Toad - This cute treasure hunter might as well be the Toad that we all know and love, but who became known under a better persona from the Galaxy games and Super Mario 3D World. He's going to be the star of the show of the upcoming Captain Toad's Treasure Tracker and there are plenty of materials to pull from for a unique move sets that satisfy both Toad fans and Captain Toad fans alike. So far, I see no real threats against his inclusion and he could be still popular after the release of this next title.

The White Witch, Lana - This cheerful sorceress is a new character that was introduced in the Wii hack and slash Hyrule Warriors, making her tone of the main stars of the game other than just Link and Zelda. While most of the Zelda reps so far can represent the canon Zelda games, she can represent Hyrule Warriors with her magical weapons (The Book of Sorcery and the Deku Spear respectively) and is arguably a safer choice compared to the likes of Cia (who's appearance is too intense for an E+10 rated game). The issues that can arise is the fact that she was created by the Dynasty Warriors developers (making her another "Geno") and she is something of Base Breaker towards the Zelda fanbase.

The Sheikah Sage of the Shadows, Impa - This is one of few reoccurring Legend of Zelda characters that hadn't been included in Smash and had played a significant role in every game that involved this woman (regardless of her shape or age). She could potentially have some moves inspired by the Shiekah like Shiek with the addition of some magic techniques (a la Skyward Sword) and some dark attacks to represent her OoT temple. She doesn't really have anything against her, except for the fact that Sakurai may feel that Zelda doesn't need another rep for the franchise.

Wolf O' Donnel - This guy is a fan favorite character from the Star Fox franchise and one of the Ensemble Darkhorses of the Brawl newcomers. He already has a unique move set sans some similarities, has a working model from Brawl, and there's a new Star Fox game coming next year. Only setback I can think of is that he can potentially be ignored by Sakurai again.

Lucas - This young boy is the star of Mother 3 and yet another Ensemble Darkhorse from Super Smash Bros Brawl. He has the same merit as his fellow semi clone Wolf, except that the Mother franchise had been defunct for 8 years. But he still has the popularity to warrant why he should be another cut veteran to return.

Fiora - This is a bit of a stretch, but she is a pretty huge character in Xenoblade Chronicles (for reasons that I can't spoil). Her character overall served as a driving force for Shulk to set off on his quest and she had helped him in everyday possible in the game's plot. She can have some move set potential in the form of her post-game appearance which can set her apart from the female cast that's in the roster already. The only downsides are that she may be too much of a walking spoiler and that Xenoblade might not be deserving of another rep to begin with (despite the upcoming sequel coming next year).

Lord Roy - The Prince of Elibe and the fan favorite of Melee is a Fire Emblem character that shouldn't be left out of this rendition of Smash due to popularity reasons. Like Mewtwo, he can easily be remade from scratch and have a revamped move set to separate himself from Prince Marth and Princess Lucina respectively. The only downside is that Fire Emblem might not be deserving to warrant 5 reps despite the series huge Japanese popularity and number of titles.

Savvy Stylist - This beauty queen is the star of one of the DS's Sleeper Hits that had captured the hearts of many female gamers and was popular enough to spawn a sequel on the 3DS. Not to mentioned that there's a trophy of one of the main characters (The manager) in Super Smash Bros. 3DS as we speak. She could have a unique gimmicks that could revolve around altering her stats/playstyle based on the few iconic outfits that she wear from the games. Unlike all the choices listed; she does have various issues like only appealing to fans of the games, garnering hatred like what happened with Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt, and possibly not looking lime someone the average Smasher would abuse.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Ice Climbers
Wolf
Chorus Kids
Dixie Kong
King K. Rool

Replace Chorus Kids with Isaac and that's basically my list.

I don't see Chorus Kids ever happening as DLC. Obscure characters make more sense for the main game, but DLC is far more questionable. And there's honestly no legitimate reason to believe that Chorus Kids were ever once considered. One leaker who had some legitimate info faked it up and everyone jumped on the bandwagon. There weren't dozens of leaks that knew about Chorus Kids, there were dozens of fake leakers claiming they saw Chorus Kids because they wanted to make their fake leaks more legit by mentioning a leak that was supposedly confirmed true.

Still, that's just my opinion. I could be dead wrong.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
To expand on my thoughts with DLC, my wants go to:
Excitebiker: I don't know, but the idea of a guy on a bike fighting amuses me for some reason. Sorta like a fleshed out Wario Bike.
Squirtle: I've said it before and I'll say it again, he can get back in. Not only does he have the popularity of a Kanto Starter, he's also a veteran. And if Charizard can return, I don't see why he can't.
Ivysaur: See above.
Muddy Mole: Because honestly I believe that the retro portable reps have been rather dry. The last (and really the only) rep was Mr. G&W. I believe we're due for another.
Shantae: In terms of the genie, she's always been in what I like to call the "would it be neat" category. I understand that she may not be the most likely pick to get in, but I mean the concept speaks for itself (a magical dancing genie who uses her hair as a whip).
Wolf/Lucas: Similar to Squirtle and Ivysaur.
Pichu: Because honestly, I love a good troll character, and Pichu is the perfect encapsulation of one. I doubt we'll see anything like it in the future.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Chorus Kids are the most iconic RH characters out there, they aren't obscure. :U
Which is just as well considering that they have never been among the most heavily requested Smash characters among the more dedicated Smash fans. Considering these are the people that DLC is aimed at, this does make the Chorus Men extremely unlikely as stand-alone DLC. If they make it in, I expect them to be part of a bigger DLC pack.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Which is just as well considering that they have never been among the most heavily requested Smash characters among the more dedicated Smash fans. Considering these are the people that DLC is aimed at, this does make the Chorus Men extremely unlikely as stand-alone DLC. If they make it in, I expect them to be part of a bigger DLC pack.
The thing is, Sakurai planned them from the beginning, and the amount of requests Chorus Kids got shouldn't affect their chances as DLC. They are pretty much guarenteed, unless technical limitations happen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom