• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Mach Rider is about the same height as Captain Falcon. His bike looks exactly the same as in the image provided, just shinier. I would say it's about the same size as Wario's bike, but more compact. I made a rule while designing this moveset that Mach Rider could never be detached from his motorcycle, and I think I made it work. His idle animation has him sitting upright with one hand on the handle with the other hanging. His walk/run animations however his posture sort of looks like how the Tron bike is ridden. His ledge animation is actually him holding the bike by the handle. He's quite strong.
...How...

How in the world world did I forget about Wario's bike? xD

Sounds interesting! So when he jumps, is he basically just doing a crazy wheelie and taking into the air? Presumably the movements would all feel fluid and natural, not mechanical and clunky like Wario's bike?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Sounds interesting! So when he jumps, is he basically just doing a crazy wheelie and taking into the air? Presumably the movements would all feel fluid and natural, not mechanical and clunky like Wario's bike?
His first jump sort of looks like a deer's jump, if that means anything. The second, due to that fact it's physically impossible to jump twice anyway, is a simply "boost" upwards.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
His first jump sort of looks like a deer's jump, if that means anything. The second, due to that fact it's physically impossible to jump twice anyway, is a simply "boost" upwards.
Ah, makes sense. Now I actually want to play as Mach Rider.

I do love fan-made movesets, though. They're so creative and imaginative, it's great to see people letting the old brain-juices flowing and creating nice things with it~!

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
Ray MK II, never heard of him.
Sceptile would be cool but he is not very likely for DLC. We already have one Pokemon DLC and Pokemon as a series has (wth Mewtwo) seven reps.
Ray MK II is this cool guy here:
Probably the third most popular assist trophy from Brawl (Just behind Little Mac and Isaac).

About Pokémon, we actually heve with Mewtwo, six reps, one less than Mario, with seven.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'll admit, while I am more of an Excitebiker man myself, I like what you did.
One thing I recommend is possibly going into the Custom Specials.
Of course.
I don't know what would be good for his down special, however I have an idea on how the others could work.

Side Special variant 1 - Oil Spill: Mach Rider knocks over the oil drum, which spills oil on the ground that will trip opponents who touch it (but not Mach Rider)
Side Special variant 2 - Bouncing Drum: Mach Rider kicks out an oil drum that bounces away and hits multiple times but can't explode.

Up Special variant 1 - Explosive Separate: Mach Rider violents splits into particles, doing explosive damage, but the teleport's range is shorter.
Up Special variant 2 - Self-destruct Cycle: Mach Rider is ejected from his motorcycle, which explodes in particles. Mach Rider is vulnerable till he touches the ground, where his motorcycle will reform, but can attack with his pistol.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Of course.
I don't know what would be good for his down special, however I have an idea on how the others could work.
Well maybe one could be a more exaggerated version of it. And the second being a more warped version of it. (Such as mode 2 making him slow, but the damage is greater. And with Mode 3 doing less damage, but his jump and speed are increased.)

Kinda... Waluigi was popular even before he gets his AT status...
But it's still popularity.

Last edited:

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
Probably the third most popular assist trophy from Brawl (Just behind Little Mac and Isaac).

About Pokémon, we actually heve with Mewtwo, six reps, one less than Mario, with seven.
That's actually Ray Mk III, Ray Mk II looks like this.

But Ray definitely needs to be in Smash.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
How about giving Mach Rider a Mounted Mode and an Unmounted Mode?
Un-mounted mode gives you full control over Mach Rider himself and easy control to attack.
While on Mounted Mode, you are given more power and speed, but only given one jump and unable stay idle while being unable to grab ledges. That could be fun.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
How about giving Mach Rider a Mounted Mode and an Unmounted Mode?
Un-mounted mode gives you full control over Mach Rider himself and easy control to attack.
While on Mounted Mode, you are given more power and speed, but only given one jump and unable stay idle while being unable to grab ledges. That could be fun.
I think that could be cool but it would be really gimmicky, and probably not feasible as he essentially has two movesets. Besides that, without the bike he wouldn't be that unique anyway, I would prefer if he eventually we do see him he is on the bike at all times, to further emphasis that it's his "thing" and to make him unique.

WieldyMinotaur

Smash Cadet
That's actually Ray Mk III, Ray Mk II looks like this.

But Ray definitely needs to be in Smash.
Ah ok, never knew I had heard of him.

Whoopsie, must have counted wrong somewhere. Well, then I guess Sceptile could make it in too.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Yeah, but one of Mario's is a clone, with Dr. Mario. It has six unique characters.
To put them on even ground would require a clone from Pokemon.
Pichu could work in that case, but I'd prefer someone more distinctive.

Kriven

Smash Journeyman
It's always possible to give Mach Rider little fire boosters on the bottom of his bike, the way Samus actually jumps via a small jetpack.

Honestly all I want for DLC is the return of cut veterans. I mean, I do want other characters to show up, but I don't care about newcomers as much as I do the return of elements from previous iterations. I'm talking every character by the way, even if they have to be reworked as new characters:

Roy: Marth was changed a lot in Brawl and more in SSB4, to a point where I think he and Lucina would play distinctively from Roy if Roy were to return unchanged. Naturally, he'd have an Eliwood alt.

Pichu: Pichu should have been in the game originally considering it's one of the non-intensive "duplicate" characters Sakurai was talking about...

Young Link: Controversial here, I know. Young Link's style was taken by Toon Link, but that doesn't mean he has nothing to offer. I'd give him a Majora's Mask-enfused moveset with Bombchus, Deku Nuts, Deku Sticks, Great Fairy Swords, and of course... Masks! He could also take advantage of unrepresented franchise staples, like candles, magic staves, etc. He would have alternate characters representing the other children Link from Zelda lore: The Legend of Zelda Link and A Link to the Past Link.

Squirtle, Lucas, Ivysaur, Snake, Ice Climbers, and Wolf don't need any changes other than balancing and proper Down B and Final Smash for the Pokemon (for Ivysaur, he could definitely use Solar Beam as a spiritual successor to Triple Finish).

I'd also want some alternate characters for the Zelda cast...

Link: Ocarina of Time Link, Skyward Sword Link, Hyrule Warriors Link, Zelda II Link (voiced by Jonathan Potts), Ocarina of Time Dark Link (actually announced "Dark Link" and with dark versions of Link's tools)
Zelda: Ocarina of Time Zelda, Skyward Sword Zelda, Hyrule Warriors Zelda, Cartoon Zelda (voiced by Cyndy Preston)
Sheik: Ocarina of Time Sheik, Super Smash Bros. Brawl Sheik, Hyrule Warriors Sheik
Ganondorf: Ocarina of Time Ganondorf, Aghanim, Wind Waker Ganondorf, Demise, Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf
Toon Link: Conductor Link

Reason: Each of these "costumes" or "alts" are technically different characters, some of them actually veterans. I'd like to see them appear in at least costume capacity.

For newcomers, I couldn't really care less who they give us as long as we get most of the veterans back... I guess here's a top five anyway:

1: Tetra (Toon Zelda would either be an alt or absent entirely)
2: Ganon (Blue Pig Ganon design with trident as primary weapon. Uses the cartoon incarnation of Ganon as an alt)
3: Lolo (Has a Lala alternate)
4: Captain Toad (Has alternates for all members of the Toad Brigade in both Captain and traditional attire. Same for Toadette)
5: Dixie Kong

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think that could be cool but it would be really gimmicky, and probably not feasible as he essentially has two movesets. Besides that, without the bike he wouldn't be that unique anyway, I would prefer if he eventually we do see him he is on the bike at all times, to further emphasis that it's his "thing" and to make him unique.
Mach Rider has been unmounted a few times of the game, I basically just want to see a fleshed out moveset of Wario's bike that's easy to get off and on.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
So, essentially a Stance Change character. But didn't Sakurai say they removed Transformations?

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Technically, it is. Transforming in a fighting game is when a character switches from one moveset to another. Essentially a fancy way of saying Stance Change.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I like the idea of Mach Rider, but not clunky mounted one. I'd prefer Capt. Falconized MR with Wario esque bike moves. A more manerable side B that lets him jump and shoot on the bike, but some kind of slower cross between Falcon and ZSS (use of blasters, dope breakup teleportation, being a general BAMF) Give him that cold, calculated, bounty hunter bravado that was lost to the SHOW ME YOUR MOVES attitude of Smash Falcon (which is dope, but not very bounty hunter-y)

Roy: Marth was changed a lot in Brawl and more in SSB4, to a point where I think he and Lucina would play distinctively from Roy if Roy were to return unchanged. Naturally, he'd have an Eliwood alt.

Pichu: Pichu should have been in the game originally considering it's one of the non-intensive "duplicate" characters Sakurai was talking about...

Young Link: Controversial here, I know. Young Link's style was taken by Toon Link, but that doesn't mean he has nothing to offer. I'd give him a Majora's Mask-enfused moveset with Bombchus, Deku Nuts, Deku Sticks, Great Fairy Swords, and of course... Masks! He could also take advantage of unrepresented franchise staples, like candles, magic staves, etc. He would have alternate characters representing the other children Link from Zelda lore: The Legend of Zelda Link and A Link to the Past Link.

Link: Ocarina of Time Link, Skyward Sword Link, Hyrule Warriors Link, Zelda II Link (voiced by Jonathan Potts), Ocarina of Time Dark Link (actually announced "Dark Link" and with dark versions of Link's tools)
Zelda: Ocarina of Time Zelda, Skyward Sword Zelda, Hyrule Warriors Zelda, Cartoon Zelda (voiced by Cyndy Preston)
Sheik: Ocarina of Time Sheik, Super Smash Bros. Brawl Sheik, Hyrule Warriors Sheik
Ganondorf: Ocarina of Time Ganondorf, Aghanim, Wind Waker Ganondorf, Demise, Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf
Toon Link: Conductor Link
I love Roy, and if they could make him unique, I'm all about it, but I'm not sure f they could do it. Though I love clones, so bring him on clone or no (also Eliwood > Roy, you're so right)

As for the Young Link, I've gotten in lots of debates about him. I main him in Melee (alongside Ganon) and there is so much room for another Link moveset. I brought it up in the PM clone engine debates, bare bones he could have bombchus, deku sticks, deku nuts, slingshot, etc. and most he could have a super mask moveset, in between he could have those various items you described. He's like my most wanted to bring back because of how vanilla the links are in smash compared to what they could be. Don't forget awakening, I think he's a "child" link too.

And the costumes, I just really want OoT Ganon. Please Sakurai.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
A character like Mach Rider would be a perfect base for a "mounted" fighter. Their ability to explode into a bunch of bits would allow an easy way for the bike to appear and disappear at whim. The character is also a blank slate too, so there's a lot open for interpretation for them like what they did with Pit in Brawl.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
A character like Mach Rider would be a perfect base for a "mounted" fighter. Their ability to explode into a bunch of bits would allow an easy way for the bike to appear and disappear at whim. The character is also a blank slate too, so there's a lot open for interpretation for them like what they did with Pit in Brawl.
Pardon my French, but that sounds like rated M material unless the bike explodes in the same way the Wario Bike does.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Yes, exactly. The separating thing is perfect for him because it means they can work around some otherwise awkward animations.
Visually, I think it would be cool if he separated in cubes of varying sizes with his textures on them.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I posted a "What if" scenario in the Wii U board if anyone wants to take a look. It's pretty much saying that the job listing posted by Namco for Super Smash Bros. 6 is referring to either an expansion/deluxe edition of the game or that it's just the working title for all dlc content.

It's not a prediction, just a question as to what Super Smash Bros 6 would look like if it existed.

I'm a little nervous since I don't usually post topics, but this has been nagging away at me for a while now. Is "Hypothetical" the right word to use when proposing a scenario?

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I posted a "What if" scenario in the Wii U board if anyone wants to take a look. It's pretty much saying that the job listing posted by Namco for Super Smash Bros. 6 is referring to either an expansion/deluxe edition of the game or that it's just the working title for all dlc content.

It's not a prediction, just a question as to what Super Smash Bros 6 would look like if it existed.

I'm a little nervous since I don't usually post topics, but this has been nagging away at me for a while now. Is "Hypothetical" the right word to use when proposing a scenario?
I'll strangle someone if we get an "Ultimate Super Smash Bros for Wii U and 3DS"

I can't see us getting too much. I see:

Characters:
Mewtwo
Ice Climbers
Wolf
One more (Chorus Men, Isaac, Lucas, King K)

Stages:
Multiple past Stages
Ice Climber Stage
A Stage for Chorus Men, Isaac, or King K if in
And I pray to God Cerulean Cave

And events

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
@ Sabrewulf238 Sabrewulf238 I would really like it if there is a UMVC3 size expansion of Smash Bros. Could you imagine having twelve more characters?
---

Also, I want to go back to Mach Rider for a second.
I think one of his victory poses should be him riding off into the background, like in the original game.
His victory theme should be a slightly extended version of this:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
@ Sabrewulf238 Sabrewulf238 I would really like it if there is a UMVC3 size expansion of Smash Bros. Could you imagine having twelve more characters?
---

Also, I want to go back to Mach Rider for a second.
I think one of his victory poses should be him riding off into the background, like in the original game.
His victory theme should be a slightly extended version of this:

You mean 12 characters that we could easily be given as DLC? Oh yeah, I for sure want to spend 60 on a brand new game like that.

And next year, I think for the VGC challenge I'll just bust out all retro games. Mach Rider to be included.

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I can't help but look at what the Smash Community is generally expecting and then look in the opposite direction. I've lost count how many times Sakurai has pulled the carpet out from under us by now.

I may be crazy for considering such things, but Sakurai is crazy too so I'm in good company.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
You mean 12 characters that we could easily be given as DLC? Oh yeah, I for sure want to spend 60 on a brand new game like that.
That's not what I meant...I meant a DLC expansion that is sold as a complete package later...
But don't act like you wouldn't pay $60 for twelve more characters.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I can't help but look at what the Smash Community is generally expecting and then look in the opposite direction. I've lost count how many times Sakurai has pulled the carpet out from under us by now.

I may be crazy for considering such things, but Sakurai is crazy too so I'm in good company.
That's why I'm not going to be stunned if we get just Mewtwo and Ice Climbers. I'm 99% expecting the Climbers to be back.

That's not what I meant...I meant a DLC expansion that is sold as a complete package later...
But don't act like you wouldn't pay $60 for twelve more characters.
Well if its a bunch of crappy characters (like 75% of the newcomers) than of course not!

But if it has Ice Climbers, Wolf, and King K. I might bite.

Plus didn't UMvC3 give like 6?

If we get like 6, I wouldn't buy something like this:
Chorus Men, Chrom, Waluigi, Captain Toad, Dixie Kong, Dillon, Wonder Red

I'd shell $100 for:
Ice Climbers, Wolf, King K, Lucas, Roy, Snake, Lip, Squirtle, Ivysaur

Last edited:

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I think Rayman could be the 3rd party representative for Super Smash Bros. 6.

If it exists.

Rayman having a trophy in the Wii U version is such an oddity.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Well if its a bunch of crappy characters (like 75% of the newcomers) than of course not!
But if it has Ice Climbers, Wolf, and King K. I might bite.
Plus didn't UMvC3 give like 6?
If we get like 6, I wouldn't buy something like this:
Chorus Men, Chrom, Waluigi, Captain Toad, Dixie Kong, Dillon, Wonder Red
No, UMvC3 added 12 new characters. They would have been actual DLc for the base game but there was that tsunami in Japan...

- Phoenix Wright
- Vergil
- Firebrand
- Nemesis T-Type
- Frank West
- Strider Hiryu

- Hawkeye
- Nova
- Dr. Strange
- Ghost Rider
- Rocket Raccoon
- Iron Fist

While Nintendo characters would probably require more work, twelve of them would be pretty amazing.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
No, UMvC3 added 12 new characters. They would have been actual DLc for the base game but there was that tsunami in Japan...

- Phoenix Wright
- Vergil
- Firebrand
- Nemesis T-Type
- Frank West
- Strider Hiryu

- Hawkeye
- Nova
- Dr. Strange
- Ghost Rider
- Rocket Raccoon
- Iron Fist

While Nintendo characters would probably require more work, twelve of them would be pretty amazing.
I WILL TRAVEL BACK IN TIME TO PREVENT THIS!

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Personally, if a "Ultimate Super Smash Bros." does happen:

- Mewtwo
- Wolf
- Lucas
- King K. Rool
- Bandana Dee
- Mach Rider
- Dixie Kong
- Ghirahim
- Rayman
- Snake

My beautiful selection.
Ghirahim's Assist Trophy is replaced with an functionally identical Zant.

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Personally, if a "Ultimate Super Smash Bros." does happen:

- Mewtwo
- Wolf
- Lucas
- King K. Rool
- Bandana Dee
- Mach Rider
- Dixie Kong
- Ghirahim
- Rayman
- Snake

My beautiful selection.
Ghirahim's Assist Trophy is replaced with an functionally identical Zant.
If I had the choice:
-Mewtwo
-Wolf
-Lucas
-Ice Climbers
-King K Rool
-Micaiah
-Layton/Wright/Neku/Amaterasu/Crono/Snake
-Ashley
-Viridi
-Lip/Ayumi/Donbe + Hikari

Of course I have no idea how to replace Ashley with someone.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

This video was posted on another forum....

I do not know what to think. Lack of a new DK character is still unnerving. Can anyone debunk this? (Isaac is nice, though...)

EDIT:

Bandana Dee appears identical to this: http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111002085712/kirby/en/images/c/c8/KRtDL_Waddle_Dee.png

It seemed convincing due to the audio, but the pic itself I'm thinking is fake. Figured I'd post it, though. Can you display images on the 3DS screen?

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero

I do not know what to think. Lack of a new DK character is still unnerving. Can anyone debunk this? (Isaac is nice, though...)

EDIT:

Bandana Dee appears identical to this: http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111002085712/kirby/en/images/c/c8/KRtDL_Waddle_Dee.png

It seemed convincing due to the audio, but the pic itself I'm thinking is fake. Figured I'd post it, though. Can you display images on the 3DS screen?
Not sure how to feel. It's clearly on a DS which makes it seem pssible, but those renders look really low wuality and anamalous. Mewtwo looks too zoomed out, Dee is too zoomed in, Wolf just looks like trash. I dunno. I'm leaning towards fake, but then again "bad renders" was the only valid excuse for the big leak and that one was true so who knows.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero

EDIT:

The Wolf, Mewtwo and Isaac icons look so off. I'm surprised you thought they looked nice.

They don't match the other characters at all. Also moving the clones next to their series is a huge red flag in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom