• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
He has appeared in Samurai Warriors and Captain Rainbow for Wii and a game in Nintendo Land was based off of his game.

He would be a fitting Retro newcomer as well, like @ TumblrFamous TumblrFamous stated. Although I have a hard time seeing how he'd set himself apart from the rest of the roster, moveset- and gameplay-wise.

Morbi

Scavenger
Haw! Do you even know about his franchise getting recognition from NintendoLand?

And also, "No recent games" didn't stop Pit from getting into Brawl!
To be fair, he did state that Takamaru has had no recent games of his own. That statement is objectively true regardless of whether or not his franchise was receiving recognition.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
The correct mascot for Konami would be Simon Belmont from Castlevania
Amen brother!
But, sadly there probably has to be fan service to all the generations, and I think we got ours with Mega Man and Little Mac this time around.

Last edited:

domokl

Smash Lord
Takamaru is a popular choice and he is unique. He a samurai for crying out loud. If a retro rep is in smash 4 its probably him mach rider or duck hunt dog.

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Duck Hunt dog?

Well, he'd work as an Assist Trophy. Maybe.

Wait...a Duck Hunt stage would rock my socks off.

Would it rock anyone else's?

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Takamaru is a popular chooce and he is unique. He a samurai for crying out loud. If a retro rep is in smash 4 its probably him mach rider or duck hunt dog.
I would like to argue that if I were to choose between Takamaru and Duck Hunt Dog, I would choose that Dog. PETA would have a field day with that.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
That makes me want a sword-wielding fireball ninja in a game like SSB.

I am rather confused, though, what does that have to do with validity?
Regardless of validity, I vote he is probably not getting in this time around.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
I always thought Mach Rider would be cool.

However, I also have Geno on my wish roster so what do I know about choosing unique and well representing fighters.

Andinus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kyonyuudaisuki
I have to admit, I feel like PETA would not care if Duck Hunt Dog gets in. Everyone hated that dog, they'd think it'd be fair.
would not be so sure... didn't they flip out about Obama swatting a housefly or something?

Morbi

Scavenger
Its not like greNINJA is a ninja or anything. Or sheik
Greninja('d :4greninja:) is an emoticon used for when someone has asserted the point you were about to make; or he is a perhaps more accurately a Pokemon, maybe even a frog, if you wanted to get literal. He is not; however, a ninja as his identity is not concealed. According to this video, that means that he is not a ninja...
#Fact

Neither is Sheik. I apologize, but you are quite misinformed. :troll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxUbKUr6LK4

Oddliestotter

Smash Cadet
Greninja('d :4greninja:) is an emoticon used for when someone has asserted the point you were about to make; or he is a perhaps more accurately a Pokemon, maybe even a frog, if you wanted to get literal. He is not; however, a ninja as his identity is not concealed. According to this video, that means that he is not a ninja...
#Fact

Neither is Sheik. I apologize, but you are quite misinformed. :troll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxUbKUr6LK4
What about the ninjas we don't see?

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
...yeah, Takamaru is more Samurai. He no longer has Shurikens as something unique. I don't know, I think, especially with this batch of newcomers, it's not all about unique movesets. It's more unique gameplay. Robin with tomes, Rosalina as a puppeteer, Little Mac and Mega Man (being primarily ground and projectile-based, respectively), Pac-Man as a summoner, and Palutena as a zoner. If we get Takamaru, I can see some cool gameplay mechanic.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Takamaru isn't even a ninja, he's a god damn samurai. Besides how the hell does being a ninja make you less likely to get in Smash Bros?
Even though it will never happen, it would be awesome to have Lolo in SSB, regardless of how old its game is.
Lolo would never get in because he's an obscure 3rd party character, not because his games are old. Old characters owned by Nintendo can make it into Smash Bros. hence Ice Climbers and Pit and Game and Watch and R.O.B.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Am I the only one to think we need more middle-ranged characters?

Zero Suit Samus seems like the only one so far. And regular Samus to an extent thanks to Zair.

Haw! Do you even know about his franchise getting recognition from NintendoLand?

And also, "No recent games" didn't stop Pit from getting into Brawl!
Criteria might have changed this time around. Like how Villager is only now playable.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
You know what I would like to see? A character that is fully resolved around a bow and arrow. Moves that are long range arrow shots. Someone wielding a bow and completely tearing it up and controlling the field.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
This is not the place for discussing the validity of leaks.
-gif removed-
:4megaman: versus :snake:

Gun battle on Pay-per-view!
The following bout is scheduled for one fall, and it is for the Super Smash Bros Ranged Fighting Championship

:troll:

Ness will probably return, Lucas might return, but Takamaru and Chorus Men WILL NOT BE ADDED!
Takamaru would be a great choice for a classic character along with a samurai moveset. Also, Chorus Men definitely have a chance now

Quit sipping the Haterade

He has no recent games of his own, and plus he has no validity for Smash anyways.
Ice Climbers, Pit, and Mr. Game and Watch all have not had games for over 10 years before they were added to Melee and Brawl. Therefore, your argument is terrible

Last edited by a moderator:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
You know what I would like to see? A character that is fully resolved around a bow and arrow. Moves that are long range arrow shots. Someone wielding a bow and completely tearing it up and controlling the field.
That would actually be kinda cool.
What character did you have in mind when thinking up a bow+arrow exclusive character?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
This is something I've really wanted to see too, lately. Unfortunately, this is the best example of that I could think of

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I am curious as to why this is; perhaps, if you would be so kind, could you elaborate on this sentiment? For instance, this notion was not asserted or illuminated in the original post of the thread and I might suggest that you include that provision if it is indeed against the rules. Most (actually, all of them unless they are specifically not leaking characters) leaks directly pertain to character discussion (or more specifically roster discussion) as if the leak is deemed accurate beyond a reasonable doubt, that entails that the character is ON the roster. If not; at the very least, it is a reason to speculate in favor of a character. Some characters, such as Chorus Men, did not have anything relevant regarding their chances, thus the only discussion that could exist prior to e3 HAD to include "discussing the validity of leaks." If a leak supports a characters inclusion without yet being proved incorrect, that would indicate evidence in favor of the character, therefore the discussion seems as though it would be within the confines of the rules. However, if one disagrees, the only logical way to refute that proclamation would have to be through discrediting the leak (thereby influencing our collectively perceived roster). I do not wish for this post to be misconstrued as "arguing," I am genuinely curious as leak discussion seems material to roster discussion as there is an overt established correlation. Of course, if one discusses a leak without relating it to character discussion, that is blatantly against the rules. But that is not usually the case.
Because discussion of characters on a leak is one thing, but discussion of validity does not pertain to characters or the roster, it pertains to the leak, the leak is the focus and topic, and there are other places to discuss leaks.
Apart from topical text-only posts, posting legitimate prediction roster images and other content specifically related to the topic of the thread, which is character/roster discussion and only character/roster discussion is acceptable.
You have asserted that discussion of the leak is all-encompassing and there can only be discussion of a leak, or no discussion whatsoever pertaining leaks. I never said discussion of the entirety of leaks was reprehensible in this thread, but debating the validity of leaks switches focus away from the characters, which is the topic of this thread. No one is stopping discussion about the chances of said characters, or how they would function - if you've noticed the topic of Chorus Men is not prohibited in this thread even though without a leak they would not be in the public consciousness - but discussions of characters on a leak and discussions of whether a leak might or might not be valid do not necessary go hand in hand, they are not the same thing, and there are instances of the latter happening devoid of the former, which conflicts with the rules of the thread. It might seem a little restrictive to you, but this thread was designed specifically for character discussion, there are other places where the entirety of leak discussion can be had - validity, characters, etc, so what is so troublesome about shifting the topic simply to another area of the forums if it should start conflicting with the specified topic of this thread? If you want to discuss characters on a leak, feel free to do that, but if you wish to focus on discussion of whether the leak is real or not - that can be done elsewhere. There is a difference.

Also, there shouldn't be a need to spell out everything that isn't allowed when the OP makes it fairly clear what the only type of content that is allowed might be.

If you would like to continue this conversation, feel free to send me a PM.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I immediately go to Toon Zelda. Sadly, I doubt we're getting three Zeldas.
I don't think a Zelda newcomer is too farfetched.
Wind Waker HD was a pretty big deal for Wii U, so I wouldn't be surprised if they thought they needed to put in another one.
I think we've had like 5-6 Zelda games from Wii until Wii U. If we're not counting the one announced on E3.

Toon Zelda is pretty likely IMO. Bow-centric moveset, not too sure, but honestly I would prefer that over a Zelda clone.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I don't think any of the Toon Zelda characters are likely, one Toon Zelda character is enough. I'd take Ghirahim over Impa or Pig Ganon or Toon Zelda/Tetra/Ganondorf anyday. He has an awesome personality and a ton of "moveset potential." Even though he's not exactly the main villain of the series, he has a degree of significance being associated with Demise in more ways then one, from the way I see it.

Also,

Hello, everyone. Allow me to share my poetry with you all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom