• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
I think it was some time ago near Megaman's reveal where Sakurai mentioned he has become stricter about 3rd party inclusions as he is now really looking at the most iconic of characters before adding them.

I don't remember if it was the direct or an interview.

What I got from that is that some characters like Bayonetta/Snake/Lloyd/Cless/Rayman simply lack the starpower to be in a Smash game. This wasn't the case last time in Brawl, where the criteria were simply being a game character and having appeared on a nintendo console.

All this means is that if Snake were considered as a newcomer today, he probably wouldn't get a chance. He was in a previous game so he may still be in though, but based on his new criteria for adding a third party character I highly doubt Snake would qualify.

I'm going to look it up BRB

Edit:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06...ters-receive-no-priority-for-super-smash-bros
http://kotaku.com/dont-expect-a-lot-of-third-party-characters-in-the-nex-513203533

So he points out adding a third party is a very special case which won't be done willy-nilly.
Only special situations get considered.
:D

Last edited:

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Well, it's been quiet over here for too long today, so in order to pick up the pace some, what do we expect to see at Comic-Con from Nintendo? New stage or possibly a veteran? Being the guy I am, I'll be hoping for Snake, but I don't really expect it.
I highly doubt that anyone will be revealed at Comic-Con except maybe Ness.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Has this amazing fan made animation been put here yet?
Credit to @KimmotMan

Last edited:

epicgordan

Smash Ace
If all we are getting is a veteran, then I'd expect only Ness to be confirmed through a potd rather than at SDCC. If we are getting any SDCC reveals, then my bet would be that Ness, Falco/Meta Knight, and Shulk will get confirmed over there in a single trailer.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
I think it was some time ago near Megaman's reveal where Sakurai mentioned he has become stricter about 3rd party inclusions as he is now really looking at the most iconic of characters before adding them.

What I got from that is that some characters like Bayonetta/Snake/Lloyd/Cless/Rayman simply lack the starpower to be in a Smash game. This wasn't the case last time in Brawl, where the criteria were simply being a game character and having appeared on a nintendo console.

All this means is that if Snake were considered as a newcomer today, he probably wouldn't get a chance. He was in a previous game so he may still be in though, but based on his new criteria for adding a third party character I highly doubt Snake would qualify.

Edit:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/06...ters-receive-no-priority-for-super-smash-bros
http://kotaku.com/dont-expect-a-lot-of-third-party-characters-in-the-nex-513203533

So he points out adding a third party is a very special case which won't be done willy-nilly.
edited for sources

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
I see no reason why we wouldn't at least get a veteran and stage at comic con. There are still so many veterans left, he can trickle them out to keep the hype train up.

But which veteran... Who is the most comicy/animey? :joyful:

Morbi

Scavenger
This is not the place for discussing the validity of leaks.
I am curious as to why this is; perhaps, if you would be so kind, could you elaborate on this sentiment? For instance, this notion was not asserted or illuminated in the original post of the thread and I might suggest that you include that provision if it is indeed against the rules. Most (actually, all of them unless they are specifically not leaking characters) leaks directly pertain to character discussion (or more specifically roster discussion) as if the leak is deemed accurate beyond a reasonable doubt, that entails that the character is ON the roster. If not; at the very least, it is a reason to speculate in favor of a character. Some characters, such as Chorus Men, did not have anything relevant regarding their chances, thus the only discussion that could exist prior to e3 HAD to include "discussing the validity of leaks." If a leak supports a characters inclusion without yet being proved incorrect, that would indicate evidence in favor of the character, therefore the discussion seems as though it would be within the confines of the rules. However, if one disagrees, the only logical way to refute that proclamation would have to be through discrediting the leak (thereby influencing our collectively perceived roster). I do not wish for this post to be misconstrued as "arguing," I am genuinely curious as leak discussion seems material to roster discussion as there is an overt established correlation. Of course, if one discusses a leak without relating it to character discussion, that is blatantly against the rules. But that is not usually the case.

Edit:

I am not necessarily certain that this is "new criteria" though. It seem as though this has always been the case. As any Snake supporter would assert, "if Snake has the capacity to appear in Smash once before, he certainly has more than enough merit to do it once more."

But perhaps, if you could find a source that directly insinuates that in the last game a character only needed to appear on a Nintendo console, it might be a valid point.

Last edited:

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman
I'm hoping the "surprise" Mother related. Preferably a Mother 3 localization along with a lucas confirmation. The Mother series 25th anniversary is also that Sunday so I highly doubt they'll gloss over it. Maybe.

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.

Edit:

He had the same criteria for Brawl too, so I really don't think it hurts him, and Snake is pretty darn iconic too, so if anything, I think it helps his chances of returning.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Well you know, Colonel told Snake that this was a once-in-a-lifetime chance in Brawl, so, you know, it's hard not to infer that his statement is true.

Also I agree with Morbid, the mods need to chill the frick out, leaks do in fact pertain to characters so why get so worked up over it? We over-analyze and anticipate based on what we see in an interview, developer statement, and a leak. Why specifically get mad over leaks? Makes no sense. Step it up, mods.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Snake is far more iconic than Mega Man, though of course people will argue that Mega Man is more relevant to Nintendo.

None of that matters anyway, as Snake got in Brawl because of Sakurai and Kojima's friendship. They're clearly still friends, and Kojima himself said that he does want Snake back in an interview. He likely pretended he wasn't in due to an NDA.

Rayman is at least near Mega Man's level, the trophy situation is confusing though. But I would think that if he went through the trouble of licensing for a trophy, then there's the possibility of Rayman being added as a fighter through DLC.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
What does Rayman have to offer besides punching and kicking? I've only played parts of Rayman Legends, so I don't have a big grasp on what he does as a character.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
It's probably Shulk. Considering the fact that a week from tomorrow is the Mother anniversary, SDCC's real big on anime as well, and Monolith Soft practically gave him away as if to assume that all they know is that he is to be revealed this month, I wouldn't put it past myself to see Shulk and Ness confirmed in a trailer. I'm also throwing in either Meta Knight or Falco for the sake of symmetry, though if that is the case, then we're more likely to see Meta Knight. Otherwise, I am only expecting a pic of the day for Ness.

And then in August, I can see a trailer reveal for Falco, King K. Rool, and Ridley.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
What does Rayman have to offer besides punching and kicking? I've only played parts of Rayman Legends, so I don't have a big grasp on what he does as a character.
One of his most iconic moves is spinning his hair like a helicopter in order to gain extra air, and sometimes fly in certain cases. He can also throw chargeable energy shots in Rayman 2, which lends itself perfectly to a neutral special. The lack of limbs gives him a far greater range than any other fist fighter, and it makes him visually distinct from everyone as well. There's plenty of other stuff too.

skylanders fan

Smash Lord
NNID
KyleWussler
It's probably Shulk. Considering the fact that a week from tomorrow is the Mother anniversary, SDCC's real big on anime as well, and Monolith Soft practically gave him away as if to assume that all they know is that he is to be revealed this month, I wouldn't put it past myself to see Shulk and Ness confirmed in a trailer. I'm also throwing in either Meta Knight or Falco for the sake of symmetry, though if that is the case, then we're more likely to see Meta Knight. Otherwise, I am only expecting a pic of the day for Ness.

And then in August, I can see a trailer reveal for Falco, King K. Rool, and Ridley.
i dont see falco and kkr in the same trailer maybe a bad guy to go with a bad guy trailer

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
One of his most iconic moves is spinning his hair like a helicopter in order to gain extra air, and sometimes fly in certain cases. He can also throw chargeable energy shots in Rayman 2, which lends itself perfectly to a neutral special. The lack of limbs gives him a far greater range than any other fist fighter, and it makes him visually distinct from everyone as well. There's plenty of other stuff too.
Sounds good. If he's a fighter I'd like to see him do something with Rabbids, despite most/all their games being terrible. They made their debut on the Wii as well. Maybe a Rabbid Toss, or a Final Smash? Does Rayman have anything that is worthy of being a Final Smash?

Last edited:

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
Snake more Iconic than Megaman? how young are you?
Snake is far more iconic than Mega Man, though of course people will argue that Mega Man is more relevant to Nintendo.

None of that matters anyway, as Snake got in Brawl because of Sakurai and Kojima's friendship. They're clearly still friends, and Kojima himself said that he does want Snake back in an interview. He likely pretended he wasn't in due to an NDA.

Rayman is at least near Mega Man's level, the trophy situation is confusing though. But I would think that if he went through the trouble of licensing for a trophy, then there's the possibility of Rayman being added as a fighter through DLC.
Snake more Iconic than Megaman?
wat?
stop.

How old are you?

Snake is well-known amongst us gamers.
Megaman is almost as iconic as Sonic and Mario. Almost.
Snake is nowhere near that level.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me

wat?
stop.

How old are you?

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with this. I'm pretty sure half of Sakurai's audience at the first showing of Brawl were like "Who the heck is THAT?!?!" when he showed off Snake. Is he even Konami's mascot?

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
Sounds good. If he's a fighter I'd like to see him do something with Rabbids, despite most/all their games being terrible. They made their debut on the Wii as well. Maybe a Rabbid Toss, or a Final Smash? Does Rayman have anything that is worthy of being a Final Smash?
I'd like to see Rabbids as a Smash run enemy, not part of Rayman's moveset.

Oddliestotter

Smash Cadet
Well, it's been quiet over here for too long today, so in order to pick up the pace some, what do we expect to see at Comic-Con from Nintendo? New stage or possibly a veteran? Being the guy I am, I'll be hoping for Snake, but I don't really expect it.
Surprises are in store for San Diego!! I'm thinking at least two characters to be revealed at the end, new stages to be present in the demo for the tournament, but he may focus on attributes of the game itself. This game could definitely host more options in stage customization or customizable fights.

For new characters, I could see a Kirby or DK reveal as they're big franchises without many reps so far!
DK: I could see K. Rool be revealed with Ice Climbers and mayyyybbbeeee Dixie
Kirby: I envision a battle between Meta Knight and Shulk. AND THEN BANDANA DEE COMES IN!!!!!

Still hopeful for Birdo, but I feel she is extremely unlikely. :(

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

wat?
stop.

How old are you?

How young am I? How young are you?

Snake made his first appearance before Mega Man, the Metal Gear franchise is far larger than the Mega Man franchise, and the series is still going strong to this day, as opposed to Mega Man's. Don't blame me because you didn't do the research.

Sonic isn't even as big as Mario, that was always a delusion by fanboys of the 90's who couldn't get off of "Sega vs Nintendo."

Mario and Pac-Man are the only ones of any real caliber, none of the others come close, but Snake is certainly a contender.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I'd like to see Rabbids as a Smash run enemy, not part of Rayman's moveset.

Ehhhh I'd rather see Rayman and everything Rayman-related as DLC than anything. But it would be fun to kick Rabbid aѕѕ, no doubt about that.

Last edited:

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814

Snake made his first appearance before Mega Man, the Metal Gear franchise is far larger than the Mega Man franchise, and the series is still going strong to this day, as opposed to Mega Man's. Don't blame me because you didn't do the research.

Sonic isn't even as big as Mario, that was always a delusion by fanboys of the 90's who couldn't get off of "Sega vs Nintendo."

Mario and Pac-Man are the only ones of any real caliber, none of the others come close, but Snake is certainly a contender.
Oh boy. Flamebait.
Just because someone revived an old franchise and made it more popular doesn't make the originals big hits.
Ninja Gaiden and Metal Gear fall in this trend.

There is a reason that the Pacman trailer was made that way. People like me who lived and played during the NES and SNES era will know what that trailer means. Snake does not belong. Just like Kratos does not.

This doesn't mean I don't want Snake in the game. I'm just stating a fact here.
Get out before you get burned to death boy.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with this. I'm pretty sure half of Sakurai's audience at the first showing of Brawl were like "Who the heck is THAT?!?!" when he showed off Snake. Is he even Konami's mascot?
nope. The correct mascot for Konami would be Simon Belmont from Castlevania as that was as big of a hit back in the day as Metroid, bigger than Kid Icarus even. The series continued on for a long time and was eventually rebooted by Konami to be less like Casltevania and more like God of War.

Last edited:

Silverjay323

Smash Journeyman

Ehhh I see your point, but simply being released prior doesn't mean anything. Megaman was one of the most famous platformers of it's time, with 10 installments in it's main series. Not to mention he is the constant protagonist of the main series, unlike Snake. So yes, as a character, he is much more iconic.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Perception is not reality, people. Just because you don't see the Metal Gear all that popular or iconic as the Mega Man franchise doesn't mean it isn't. Metal Gear is just very.... different from the other third parties and is more obscure compared to the other three.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I agree with the thing about Metal Gear not being as iconic as the other 3rd parties, i don't think no one is arguing that, but the fact that he made it into Smash before any of them says how much that matters to Sakurai, i mean i'm pretty sure there are tons of reasons of why Snake should have never made it into Smash in the first place, but he did, now it's only a matter of wether Sakurai wants to put him back or not.

KageJuin

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1349-7001-8814
for the record: Seeing the snake reveal trailer for brawl got me HYPED.

He's just not that Iconic. Still want him in :p
Sleeping darts to replace nikita missile please?

Perception is not reality, people. Just because you don't see the Metal Gear all that popular or iconic as the Mega Man franchise doesn't mean it isn't. Metal Gear is just very.... different from the other third parties and is more obscure compared to the other three.
saying the series is obscure directly contradicts your claim of the character being iconic.
A character's popularity or starpower stems only from how many people can recognize said character.
If you were to start a poll amongst a population that represents the USA/EU and JP you would probably be very upset when confronted with the fact that the only Snake everyone mentioned was the nokia game on those old phones.

Last edited:

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
saying the series is obscure directly contradicts your claim of the character being iconic.
A character's popularity or starpower stems only from how many people can recognize said character.
If you were to start a poll amongst a population that represents the USA/EU and JP you would probably be very upset when confronted with the fact that the only Snake everyone mentioned was the nokia game on those old phones.
I meant obscure to the Smash audience, the genre of video games Snake appears in is pretty different than the likes of Mega Man, Sonic, and Mario.

Morbi

Scavenger
Yeah your delusional if you think snake is more iconic than mega man.
No...
This.

for the record: Seeing the snake reveal trailer for brawl got me HYPED.

He's just not that Iconic. Still want him in :p
Sleeping darts to replace nikita missile please?

It does not contradict his assertion as "iconic" status is still a subjective notion and a dependent variable. Snake might be an obscure character relative to Nintendo fans; however, Metal Gear Solid is much more prominent in the modern gaming community. No poll would accurately discern anything relevant to the discussion for the very same reasons that polls are entirely irrelevant collectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom