• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well, I suppose if you never thought relevancy mattered, then the Kremlings being present in the game would have no meaning to you. In that case, I can see why you wouldn't think of them as a hint towards K. Rool.
I guess so. DK isn't really the type of franchise that gets it's cast refreshed or increased every once in a while with new potential fighters like Pokemon and Fire Emblem do. (Although I guess they have been changing their main villains up since that Gamecube game but I guess that's kinda comparable to the way the Zelda series does it).

I don't know, although I am fairly sure that if DK where to get a new character, it would be K. Rool and/or Dixie Kong. (or Cranky Kong)

I think it's recentness what people tend to argue most about with K. Rool. Which I don't really necessarily tend to agree with either...

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
I think this is irrelevant to K. Rool getting in, unless Sakurai wants to bring on newer game enemies (Which makes no transitional sense whatsoever in terms of bring content).
Kremlings hadn't appeared in a single game since 2008, they are getting more attention than the tikis and they could be getting a boss in smash run, in other words, Sakurai is giving them more attention than the tiki's who are more recent enemies, if sakurai actually cared about recency we wouldn't have retro characters in the first place or we would have skyward sword designs for zelda and link

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Kremlings hadn't appeared in a single game since 2008, they are getting more attention than the tikis and they could be getting a boss in smash run, in other words, Sakurai is giving them more attention than the tiki's who are more recent enemies, if sakurai actually cared about recency we wouldn't have retro characters in the first place
To be fair, the Tiki tribe are Smash Run enemies too. Not that I expect Tiki Tong as a playable character anytime soon though. Perhaps a boss though?

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
To be fair, the Tiki tribe are Smash Run enemies too. Not that I expect Tiki Tong as a playable character anytime soon though. Perhaps a boss though?
Apparently, the kritters are getting a boss in smash run, that would mean they are getting more attention than the tiki's despite not being as recent as them, it could mean nothing to king k rool, it could hint him

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Kremlings hadn't appeared in a single game since 2008, they are getting more attention than the tikis and they could be getting a boss in smash run, in other words, Sakurai is giving them more attention than the tiki's who are more recent enemies, if sakurai actually cared about recency we wouldn't have retro characters in the first place
First off, retro characters don't count as part of relevancy because they have a different set of criteria of getting in than veteran franchises getting newcomers.
Second, I already stated that there are signs that every character driven franchise are getting more content than Brawl, so in reality, I state again, it does nothing to K. Rool's chances, Kremlings could be in Smash Run because of Sakurai hearing out from the fans that they want the Kremlings back, as a fan request.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
First off, retro characters don't count as part of relevancy because they have a different set of criteria of getting in than veteran franchises getting newcomers.
Second, I already stated that there are signs that every character driven franchise are getting more content than Brawl, so in reality, I state again, it does nothing to K. Rool's chances, Kremlings could be in Smash Run because of Sakurai hearing out from the fans that they want the Kremlings back, as a fan request.
But in that case, couldn't that extend to him potentially adding in K. Rool as a playable character due to fan request?

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
If he has heard about fan request then why aren't we trating King K Rool as a shoo in then? this is the criteria according to Sakurai to add characters in smash
- The character's inclusion must make people want to buy the game.
- The character must be unique
- The character must fit into the style of Super Smash Bros.
- They must contribute to the game balance.
And King K Rool fits this criteria perfectly, like I said if recency had any value then why don't we have an skyward sword design for zelda and Link?, Why aren't we getting snowmads? If Sakurai wanted to add more content from the dk series then we would also have snowmads, but so far it doesn't seem like it, I mean, I'm pretty sure that if there were snowmads in smash run, everyone and their mother would be treating dixie as a lock in, characters aren't added based on recency, they are added based on their merits
Also I don't understand why are you saying ridley is a boss again

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

How's this for a Choir Kids reveal? (No, I didn't make it & no, it isn't real so nothing is spoiled)

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Yeah fan request as in either Ashley and Skull Kid being an AT or Ridley being a boss again.
Ashley and Skull Kid were no where near the level of popularity K. Rool has, and neither were the most logical character choices to begin with.

Also, I think Ridley is probably going to be playable, but that's a different topic.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Alright, fine, I'll play.

Assuming Gematsu WAS real after all, it's just that the supplier of the information/Sal was a total idiot when it came to Nintendo (How else could you confuse Robin with Chrom?), couldn't this Rhythm Heaven Rep (If there is one) easily be Marshal? You know, the guy who looks like a Chorus Men without a bowtie?

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859

Assuming Gematsu WAS real after all, it's just that the supplier of the information/Sal was a total idiot when it came to Nintendo (How else could you confuse Robin with Chrom?), couldn't this Rhythm Heaven Rep (If there is one) easily be Marshal? You know, the guy who looks like a Chorus Men without a bowtie?
Welp, seeing as the guy couldn't point Chrom out of a line-up, I'm going to say yes, could be.

If it is the case, it would immediately invalidate all the leaks that tried to hop on the Sal train and described 3 little guys, haha.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master

Honestly, the Rhythm Heaven rep could have been changed to absolutely anyone during development.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
How's this for a Choir Kids reveal? (No, I didn't make it & no, it isn't real so nothing is spoiled)

Nice. All that was missing was a Wario title card to psych us up, and then to show gameplay footage after the Chorus Kids splash text, and we'd have a real trailer. Too bad, though. Would have been cool.

Zynux

Smash Lord
Yeah fan request as in either Ashley and Skull Kid being an AT or Ridley being a boss again.
If I'm understanding correctly (correct me if I'm wrong), you're arguing that the Kremlings being present in Smash Run is irrelevant to K. Rool and the "recency" arguments against him because Sakurai added the Kremlings, generic mooks from Donkey Kong Country, only because of fan request.

Then, you turn around and argue that K. Rool, despite him being far more iconic, far more popular, and being the far more fan requested leader and King of the Kremlings to be playable (people aren't asking for K. Rool to be intrusive trophy or a stage pinata; they're fan request that they want fulfilled is playability), will not be playable because the fan requests for him all of a sudden don't seem to apply to him, but only apply to the Kremlings.

Not only that, but you used Ashley and Skull Kid, two examples whom were no where near the league of K. Rool (and honestly were not only not that often requested, but were not logical choices to begin with), and Ridley, whom status has not been objectively confirmed one way or another and whose status is still ambiguous and up in the air to support this.

If the Kremlings "fan request" got them into Smash run, then K. Rool's massive fan requests for playability are also in his favor. If the Kremlings, who were no longer "relevant" and forgotten from the Donkey Kong Country franchise, made it in to the Smash Run, then it is also no longer deterrent to K. Rool as well for playability. Which is what fans are requesting.

Last edited:

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
If I'm understanding correctly (correct me if I'm wrong), you're arguing that the Kremlings being present in Smash Run is irrelevant to K. Rool and the "recency" arguments against him because Sakurai added the Kremlings, generic mooks from Donkey Kong Country, only because of fan request.

Then, you turn around and argue that K. Rool, despite him being far more iconic, far more popular, and being the far more fan requested leader and King of the Kremlings to be playable (people aren't asking for K. Rool to be intrusive trophy or a stage pinata; they're fan request that they want fulfilled is playability), will not be playable because the fan requests for him all of a sudden don't seem to apply to him, but only apply to the Kremlings.

Not only that, but you used Ashley and Skull Kid, two examples whom were no where near the league of K. Rool (and honestly were not only not that often requested, but were not logical choices to begin with), and Ridley, whom status has not been objectively confirmed one way or another and whose status is still ambiguous and up in the air to support this.

If the Kremlings "fan request" got them into Smash run, then K. Rool's massive fan requests for playability are also in his favor. If the Kremlings, who were no longer "relevant" and forgotten from the Donkey Kong Country franchise, made it in to the Smash Run, then it is also no longer deterrent to K. Rool as well for playability. Which is what fans are requesting.
I think he's saying recency (the idea tha K. Rool is being phased out of the seres or whatever) isn't as big a factor as people are claiming. So K. Rool can get in despite his fading recency because that's not a major criteria, evidence by the kremlings over Tropical freeze enemy.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Probably something else, like Reggie going to the tournament to cheer the players or something, either that or Wario
reggie-675x385.jpg

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I could never wrap my head around that leak.
Sure, some parts are okay, but then you have stuff like "Locked advanced techniques". Wouldn't it have just made more sense to say "They're in. They were just not in the build used at E3."? It just sounds like a lame excuse.
That, and "secret special moves". Like I said over there, it sounds like he had an idea and just threw around a bunch of moves.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Please keep me grounded guys.....Tell me why it is fake....please before I cry......

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Ashley and Skull Kid were no where near the level of popularity K. Rool has, and neither were the most logical character choices to begin with.

Also, I think Ridley is probably going to be playable, but that's a different topic.
You specifically said a newcomer would get in solely by fan request, I showed you examples of very popular newcomer candidates who got the AT deal. Skull was a number one request in one poll I read with more than 130,000 on voting on Skull Kid, even beating K. Rool:
http://vgtribune.com/smash-poll-2012-winner/

Because fan requests for content is unequal to fan requests for newcomers this time around, there are more rules applied for getting new characters in the roster, and fan requests alone won't easily seal the deal.

Absolutely no evidence to back it up. About as real as my million dollars. Though I would love it to be true.
Did you read the Rayman part of the leak?

cybersai

Smash Ace
I'm leaning more toward Dixie being the new DK rep, if we only get one. She came back in Tropical Freeze and starred in her own game (DKC3).

As much as I'd love both her and King K. Rool, I think it'll just be Dixie.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
You do realize he says Lucina is an alternate costume for Marth, right?
That is invalid because Sakurai said it himself in the interview that Lucina was originally a Marth alt, and only got in last minute...

Please prove this leak fake, so I can sleep.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Well the Lucina thing is wrong. Also why say Blaziken, Sceptile, and Marshtomp? Probably spelled that wrong, but wouldn't it be Swampert? It's fake. And since X and Y pokemon was a thing, I don't think "Hoenn Pokemon" would be.

Right now I'm thinking Shulk, King K, Ridley, Isaac, and Duck Hunt Dog as the final bunch of newcomers. And I think Mewtwo will share a trailer with one of them, and that King K and Ridley might share the final trailer with Snake.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Well the Lucina thing is wrong. Also why say Blaziken, Sceptile, and Marshtomp? Probably spelled that wrong, but wouldn't it be Swampert? It's fake. And since X and Y pokemon was a thing, I don't think "Hoenn Pokemon" would be.

Right now I'm thinking Shulk, King K, Ridley, Isaac, and Duck Hunt Dog as the final bunch of newcomers. And I think Mewtwo will share a trailer with one of them, and that King K and Ridley might share the final trailer with Snake.
Duck hunt dog? i mean i have nothing against the idea, but what makes you think he's got a chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom