• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Well, Amazing Mirror had Kirby split into four separate individuals for the majority of the game. Whether or not the situations are comparable depends on whether an individual Bandana Dee was split into four separate entities, or if there are just multiple Bandana Dees in general.
Well, A LOT of Kirby games have multiple Kirbys in them.

Also, Kirby Fighters is a game about, well...KirbyS XD
Oh, and Shadow Kirby too.

The multiple Bandana Dees (IMO) are going to be something with the multiplayer OR something like this:

With Bandana Dee as the leader of the group :awesome:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Having Bandana Dee in the game is like having Toad in the game. They're both kinda nonspecific characters that play in kinda nonspecific roles, playable and non-playable. And they're both not very likely to be in the game in my opinion.

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
Having Bandana Dee in the game is like having Toad in the game. They're both kinda nonspecific characters that play in kinda nonspecific roles, playable and non-playable. And they're both not very likely to be in the game in my opinion.

Those there are fighting words.

Take this shield. You will need it to prevent spear thrusts. *Hands over shield.*

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Bandanna Dee is more comparable to Captain Toad in my opinion; however, that is neither here nor there.

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs

This is the roster I think will have a good chance of making it in the game.

Bandana Dee:
I know some people have a problem with him. However I find him fine, and is the best choice for the 4th Kirby Rep. He can have a unique moveset that uses spears, or potentially he could summon all of the enemies that Kirby fights thoughout the games. His appearence in the 2015 Kirby game, (Kirby and the Rainbow Curse) proves that he is more than just a generic Waddle Dee.
...Yes, he is the best choice for a 4th Kirby representative. A 4th Kirby representative that we do not need, nor does any evidence point to another rep.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't understand this notion that Kirby will get a fourth rep before DK gets a third. It doesn't sit well with me, and there's FAR more going for K. Rool than there is for Bandana Dee.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I don't understand this notion that Kirby will get a fourth rep before DK gets a third. It doesn't sit well with me, and there's FAR more going for K. Rool than there is for Bandana Dee.
Eh, at least they're from different franchises so that their chances are on more equal footing. Not like Dark Pit v. Medusa, or Ghirahim v. Vaati v. Ganon, or even Dixie v. K. Rool.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I'm gonna take a shot in the dark & say that Melee was T because Giga Bowser.
I think it's because E-10+ wasn't a rating yet. At least, I don't think it was. Another game is Fire Emblem Path of Radiance, which on the Gamecube was rated T, while it's sequel which I believe had a bit of better graphics was rated E-10+. I'm quite sure if the rating had existed, BOTH games that I've mentioned would be E-10+

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Eh, at least they're from different franchises so that their chances are on more equal footing. Not like Dark Pit v. Medusa, or Ghirahim v. Vaati v. Ganon, or even Dixie v. K. Rool.
They are on even footing, but I keep seeing this "Bandana Dee, a side character who happens to be the fourth main character of the Kirby franchise" getting in over a third DK character, when the DK franchise is the fourth or fifth-best selling Nintendo franchise of all time.

They aren't mutually exclusive.
I keep seeing people add a fourth Kirby rep before a third DK rep. That's what I have a problem with. Yes, its incredibly possible Kirby can get a fourth character, but Bandana Dee isn't that iconic compared to characters of other franchises. Bandana Dee is the fourth-main Kirby character, but he's still closer to a slightly more recurring Captain Toad (although I think Captain Toad is the same "Toad" character from past games, which would make him less recurring). And unlike Lucina or Dixie Kong, whom could potentially made clones/semiclones, that isn't possible with Bandana Dee at all.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
Wasn't the recent trailer aired at this time to coincide with some anniversaries? If that's the case I could totally see a newcomer reveal at one of the biggest events in the West.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
They are on even footing, but I keep seeing this "Bandana Dee, a side character who happens to be the fourth main character of the Kirby franchise" getting in over a third DK character, when the DK franchise is the fourth or fifth-best selling Nintendo franchise of all time.

I keep seeing people add a fourth Kirby rep before a third DK rep. That's what I have a problem with. Yes, its incredibly possible Kirby can get a fourth character, but Bandana Dee isn't that iconic compared to characters of other franchises. Bandana Dee is the fourth-main Kirby character, but he's still closer to a slightly more recurring Captain Toad (although I think Captain Toad is the same "Toad" character from past games, which would make him less recurring). And unlike Lucina or Dixie Kong, whom could potentially made clones/semiclones, that isn't possible with Bandana Dee at all.
Some people just aren't DK fans. I don't keep in mind the feelings of Star Fox fans when I'm supporting Ridley and Ganon.

I personally don't support him (And support Deester) because I assume he's already in. Plus, Dee is just so much fun to talk about.

I'm in for the fun. Which is my primary reason I hang around the Ridley thread despite my absolute certainty he's in.

Oddliestotter

Smash Cadet
Wasn't the recent trailer aired at this time to coincide with some anniversaries? If that's the case I could totally see a newcomer reveal at one of the biggest events in the West.
"Surprises" are said to be in store at the San Diego Comic-Con....... YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!!!

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Some people just aren't DK fans. I don't keep in mind the feelings of Star Fox fans when I'm supporting Ridley and Ganon.

I personally don't support him (And support Deester) because I assume he's already in. Plus, Dee is just so much fun to talk about.

I'm in for the fun. Which is my primary reason I hang around the Ridley thread despite my absolute certainty he's in.
I try to keep in mind everything when I do my speculation. I take into account popularity, sales, how prominent the character is, and how much potential the character is. I won't deny Bandana Dee has loads of potential, I just try and keep into mind everything, and as far as I'm concerned, Bandana Dee is way low on the priority list. Again, especially because of how OP Metaknight was, he likely needs a complete overhaul to fix him.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
I try to keep in mind everything when I do my speculation. I take into account popularity, sales, how prominent the character is, and how much potential the character is. I won't deny Bandana Dee has loads of potential, I just try and keep into mind everything, and as far as I'm concerned, Bandana Dee is way low on the priority list. Again, especially because of how OP Metaknight was, he likely needs a complete overhaul to fix him.
What do you think of a playable 8-Bit Mario as a standalone character?

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I get where you are coming from. However I would no doubt add another DK rep if I could. Preferably K. Rool.

However sticking to the fact that I believe that a 51 character roster is all we are going to get. I would be shocked if we get more than 51.

However, just imagine my list with K. Rool instead of Shulk. Because I want K. Rool more than shulk because I at least know who that character is.

What do you think of a playable 8-Bit Mario as a standalone character?
I think it is a really silly idea. I can't think of a moveset that would be unique.

Last edited:

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
Just read the Bomberman support thread. I want the Bomber. But I think we reached our 3rd party limit. :sadeyes:

Oddliestotter

Smash Cadet
I get where you are coming from. However I would no doubt add another DK rep if I could. Preferably K. Rool.

However sticking to the fact that I believe that a 51 character roster is all we are going to get. I would be shocked if we get more than 51.

However, just imagine my list with K. Rool instead of Shulk. Because I want K. Rool more than shulk because I at least know who that character is.

I think it is a really silly idea. I can't think of a moveset that would be unique.
51 sounds like a good limit.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

So, basically, your personal bias for Bandana Dee makes you put Bandana Dee in instead of a third DK rep? I mean, I'll admit, DK is my second-favorite Nintendo franchise, but in my early drafts, I never included both K. Rool and Dixie even though I believed both should be playable, I only included one. Nothing hints at Bandana Dee, and tons more hints at at least a third DK rep, although moreso K. Rool specifically. (Nothing except Monolith tweets really hints at Shulk.)

Oddliestotter

Smash Cadet
So, basically, your personal bias for Bandana Dee makes you put Bandana Dee in instead of a third DK rep? I mean, I'll admit, DK is my second-favorite Nintendo franchise, but in my early drafts, I never included both K. Rool and Dixie even though I believed both should be playable, I only included one. Nothing hints at Bandana Dee, and tons more hints at at least a third DK rep, although moreso K. Rool specifically. (Nothing except Monolith tweets really hints at Shulk.)
Agreed! I don't know if the Kritter in Smash Run was a good indicator but I feel a DK rep would be understood.
But Banana Dee would be cool.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Didn't Sakurai get rid of the Waddle Dees from King Dedede's moveset?
Doesn't this kind of say that a potential Bandana Dee could be the next Kirby newcomer? Because removing Waddle Dees might make Bandana Dee's prescence inside the battlefield less confusing?

And judging from Palutena's trailer, I'd easily see Sakurai giving Bandana Dee a Return To Dreamland centric moveset. (Spear, Whip, Knuckle, Sword, Fire, Spark, Ice, etc)

I don't know, it just makes sense to me.

Another DK Newcomer is extremely likely to me. Wouldn't be surprised if it's two. I'm betting it's Dixie for the trio-SNES-Kong factor, and Cranky for the "New concept" factor that pulls a Rosalina on us. K.Rool is also pretty likely, but with boss mode and stage hazards around, there's a 50/50 chance he might be turned into one. Just my guesses though. Remember when we all thought Krystal was a shoe-in, and BAM, Wolf O'Donell happened. :p

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Doesn't this kind of say that a potential Bandana Dee could be the next Kirby newcomer? Because removing Waddle Dees might make Bandana Dee's prescence inside the battlefield less confusing?
Either that or the Waddle Dee's and Waddle Doo's are perhaps now a part of his alternate side special moves for his costumisable moveset...

Depending how far Sakurai is willing to take his costumisable moveset thing I guess...

Last edited:

Oddliestotter

Smash Cadet

And judging from Palutena's trailer, I'd easily see Sakurai giving Bandana Dee a Return To Dreamland centric moveset. (Spear, Whip, Knuckle, Sword, Fire, Spark, Ice, etc)

Another DK Newcomer is extremely likely to me. Wouldn't be surprised if it's two. I'm betting it's Dixie for the trio-SNES-Kong factor, and Cranky for the "New concept" factor that pulls a Rosalina on us. K.Rool is also pretty likely, but with boss mode and stage hazards around, there's a 50/50 chance he might be turned into one. Just my guesses though. Remember when we all thought Krystal was a shoe-in, and BAM, Wolf O'Donell happened. :p
Hmmmm... maybe a trailer of Dixie and the Ice Climbers fighting K. Rool?

Or Shulk and Meta Knight duking it out? :)

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Either that or the Waddle Dee's and Waddle Doo's are perhaps now a part of his alternate side special moves for his costumisable moveset...
Would make some sense I guess. I thought the transformations were cut due to 3DS limitations because it can switch between models so quickly. It would make sense it can't switch between the three types of minions with their different properties and models very quickly, forcing them to stick just to one.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

As I've stated before, if you want to include that argument... generic Waddle Dees are still in Smash Run. The argument doesn't work. Cranky Kong has already been disconfirmed, he's just a trophy, and its his Brawl model returning. Not that they'd include Cranky over the two more iconic DK characters anyway.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Agreed! I don't know if the Kritter in Smash Run was a good indicator but I feel a DK rep would be understood.
But Banana Dee would be cool.
The thing about the Kremlings making an appearance in Smash run is how often have the Kremlings appeared in a gane without K Rool appearing as well? As far as I remember, only Diddy Kong Racing, which didnt even have DK. Besides,its not a canon game.

Combine that with his popularity, which Sakurai addressed in Melee AND Brawl on his trophy, his prominent role as the main villain in DK and his heaviness being a potential uniqueness factor, its looking good for him.

I know it doesnt guarantee him, but it makes me hopeful.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
The thing about the Kremlings making an appearance in Smash run is how often have the Kremlings appeared in a gane without K Rool appearing as well? As far as I remember, only Diddy Kong Racing, which didnt even have DK. Besides,its not a canon game.

Combine that with his popularity, which Sakurai addressed in Melee AND Brawl on his trophy, his prominent role as the main villain in DK and his heaviness being a potential uniqueness factor, its looking good for him.

Well, there was also the Mario Strikers games which had the Kritters without K. Rool too.

I'm not sure how much they hint to K. Rool in terms of Smash but it's something at least I guess....

epicgordan

Smash Ace
His jumps could have him simply swimming in the air.

Jabs: ???

Forward Tilt: ???
Up Tilt: ???
Down Tilt: ???

NAir: ???
FAir: ???
BAir: ???
UAir: Coin toss
DAir: Stomp

Side Smash: Hammer
Up Smash: Block Smash
Down Smash: Switch

Grab: ???
Front Throw: ???
Back Throw: ???
Down Throw: ???
Up Throw: ???

Up Taunt: Grows big, and then shrinks down
Side Taunt: Flashes

Neutral Special: Fireball > Fast Fireball > Large Fire Flower
Side Special: Green Shell > Red Shell > Blue Shell
Up Special: Jump > Hi Jump > Super High Jump
Down Special: Onions > Mushroom > Bob-omb
Final Smash: Duck Hunt

It's a work in progress, but at least I got the Smash and Special attacks out of the way, and I know just what his Final Smash would be and how it would work, too.

If anybody can think up a moveset for such a weird character choice, it would be Sakurai.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Kritters have never appeared as random enemies in a game without K. Rool. They do appear in the Strikers games as goalies, but that's it. Even in Diddy Kong Racing K. Rool was mentioned in the backstory where its stated he personally sent Krunch to investigate what Diddy was doing.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, there was also the Mario Strikers games which had the Kritters without K. Rool.

I'm not sure how much they hint to K. Rool in terms of Smash but it's something at least I guess....
It's not that they directly hint towards K. Rool, I think. It's that their presence in the game damages the "relevancy" argument, which is probably the one thing in K. Rool's way. They're sort of an indirect boost to his chances.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's not that they directly hint towards K. Rool, I think. It's that their presence in the game damages the "relevancy" argument, which is probably the one thing in K. Rool's way. They're sort of an indirect boost to his chances.
Oh if that's the case, I don't think relevancy or recency matters all that much when it comes to any additional DK characters though... But that's just me I guess...

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
His jumps could have him simply swimming in the air.

Jabs: ???

Forward Tilt: ???
Up Tilt: ???
Down Tilt: ???

NAir: ???
FAir: ???
BAir: ???
UAir: Coin toss
DAir: Stomp

Side Smash: Hammer
Up Smash: Block Smash
Down Smash: Switch

Grab: ???
Front Throw: ???
Back Throw: ???
Down Throw: ???
Up Throw: ???

Up Taunt: Grows big, and then shrinks down
Side Taunt: Flashes

Neutral Special: Fireball > Fast Fireball > Large Fire Flower
Side Special: Green Shell > Red Shell > Blue Shell
Up Special: Jump > Hi Jump > Super High Jump
Down Special: Onions > Mushroom > Bob-omb
Final Smash: Duck Hunt

It's a work in progress, but at least I got the Smash and Special attacks out of the way, and I know just what his Final Smash would be and how it would work, too.

If anybody can think up a moveset for such a weird character choice, it would be Sakurai.
The only way Duck Hunt will have anything to do with this game, is I think, if Duck Hunt Dog is playable. Which, I'm leaning towards that he will be. He doubles as a retro AND hardware (zapper) rep.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Oh if that's the case, I don't think relevancy or recency matters all that much when it comes to any additional DK characters though... But that's just me I guess...
Well, I suppose if you never thought relevancy mattered, then the Kremlings being present in the game would have no meaning to you. In that case, I can see why you wouldn't think of them as a hint towards K. Rool.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Sakurai is going to bring as much content in Smash as possible, so it's no surprise that Kremlings are in Smash Run, so no it does not be break the relevancy arguments for newcomers yet,

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Sakurai is going to bring as much content in Smash as possible, so it's no surprise that Kremlings are in Smash Run, so no it does not be break the relevancy arguments for newcomers yet,
If relevancy had any importance then we wouldn't have kremlings, we would have the snowmads

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Well, I suppose if you never thought relevancy mattered, then the Kremlings being present in the game would have no meaning to you. In that case, I can see why you wouldn't think of them as a hint towards K. Rool.
Kremlings being in Smash Run is a huge boon to K. Rool, but its also all the additional hints we've got even MORE Kremlings, plus the Chunky Kong rumors, too, further shattering any problems with the relevancy argument against K. Rool. Even then, its not relevancy, its recency. K. Rool is COMPLETELY relevant, he is the main antagonist of the DK series after all. People keep confusing "recency" for "relevancy" but they are two different things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom