• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staarih

Smash Master
There were confessions here earlier, here's one of mine that I just realized:

I'm not that interested in Palutena as a character. I did support her inclusion before but now that she's actually in... I don't know if I'm excited or not haha. She seems sort of bland to me, even with all the specials she has. Funny thing, really. Or maybe it's just the lack of info on her (and PotD's with her) or whatever, but even the Mii Fighters are more interesting to me at this point. Yikes. Hopefully that'll change at some point. And if not, well, no can do.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Honestly, the Mii trailer was my favorite part of E3. I still have my daily dose of "Mr. Iwata vs Reggie." Not that I really care for the Mii's inclusion but that fight scene has me laughing still to this day.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
There were confessions here earlier, here's one of mine that I just realized:

I'm not that interested in Palutena as a character. I did support her inclusion before but now that she's actually in... I don't know if I'm excited or not haha. She seems sort of bland to me, even with all the specials she has. Funny thing, really. Or maybe it's just the lack of info on her (and PotD's with her) or whatever, but even the Mii Fighters are more interesting to me at this point. Yikes. Hopefully that'll change at some point. And if not, well, no can do.
Yeah, I'll admit they could have done something way more than just the abilities in Uprising. I mean, they could have brought something from the fight against her in Uprising but nooooooo, she uses Pit's abilities. By the way, not exactly worried about spoiling that detail since Sakurai himself did that and a more important detail in her own trailer.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
I love palutena, she reminds me to many snk bosses with all those attacks and talking, says athena :p

A character with crazy attacks and a feel of "power" was something i always wished, and is cool because i really never cared about paluty until now xD

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Confession time:

Ghirahim is my most wanted character for Smash 4. He was the only character I cared about before coming to Smashboards, actually.
Phew! I've been waiting so long to finally admit it.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Confession time:

Ghirahim is my most wanted character for Smash 4. He was the only character I cared about before coming to Smashboards, actually.
YOU SUCK!
JK I was just thinking that that was the reaction you were expecting.
I only joined SmashBoards to support Takamaru so...

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Confession time:

YOU SUCK!
JK I was just thinking that that was the reaction you were expecting.
I only joined SmashBoards to support Takamaru so...
Hahaha funny because the reason I joined was to talk about Paper Mario mostly.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Okay, real confession time:

I acknowledge the fact I am super biased towards the characters I want and will always argue in their favor.
But, I mean, come on. Why is that such a bad thing?

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Okay, real confession time:

I acknowledge the fact I am super biased towards the characters I want and will always argue in their favor.
But, I mean, come on. Why is that such a bad thing?
I've actually noticed that most people will do the exact same. I don't think it's anything to be ashamed of. It just means that you've put in some good thought and research about why you believe the characters that you want should become playable. I do it as well.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
If you're not a little biased towards your most wanted character then something's wrong.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I'm biased towards some characters, but while I support my favorite characters, I try to include factual information and legit reasoning. I don't want to end up acting like a 10 year old on Youtube.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
If you're not a little biased towards your most wanted character then something's wrong.
I try to remove bias from my speculation. I wouldn't claim that a character I really want is likely if evidence strongly suggested that said character is unlikely. My speculation would become inaccurate as a result.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Hahaha funny because the reason I joined was to talk about Paper Mario mostly.
Oh I actually never talked about it but I just got on hiatus when I joined on ttyd glitch hunting.

But I didn't liked that in the end because the reason I was on hiatus was the same that prevented me to have fun with games. So, I was just checking this site to pass time but that was depressing in the end.

It took until August for this to resolve but I began to post more after the DDOS and again, it took a lot of time to even post on the paper mario thread (wasn't the op at the time). I was pretty shy but I got over it in the end.

Still, I think I should have became the op months earlier because I didn't get that minority can be more enjoyable sometimes. Getting a deconfirmation at E3 though would've been the worst thing but frankly, it will live for some months before we know how it will be rep.

Oh well, I guess the language barrier is really annoying.

Wow I checked the first pages of the thread as posting this. Support really changed I can't believe who showed their support before. Ah, I wish I was there before.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I've actually noticed that most people will do the exact same. I don't think it's anything to be ashamed of. It just means that you've put in some good thought and research about why you believe the characters that you want should become playable. I do it as well.
Thanks. Sometimes it helps to be reminded of that. I have grown weary of concentrated, drawn-out speculation, always looking over the same evidence to find new evidence, and being prosecuted if I end up liking and expecting something at the same time. (By people who are equally defensive of something else, and I am referring to very specific individuals)

It is emotionally exhausting. But, I never want to delve into want =/= expectation, for that is simply bad speculation and, moreover, not convincing.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The way I see it is that you suggest a character you want you immediately find evidence to back up your opinion which isn't a bad thing.
Example: Ryu Hayabusa deserves a spot on the roster he's even been on Nintendo consoles more than Snake.
Snake is more deserving because he's already been in a Smash game because he's a vet.
ETC.
I am referring to very specific individuals)
Welp that rules me out.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Oh I actually never talked about it but I just got on hiatus when I joined on ttyd glitch hunting.

But I didn't liked that in the end because the reason I was on hiatus was the same that prevented me to have fun with games. So, I was just checking this site to pass time but that was depressing in the end.

It took until August for this to resolve but I began to post more after the DDOS and again, it took a lot of time to even post on the paper mario thread (wasn't the op at the time). I was pretty shy but I got over it in the end.

Still, I think I should have became the op months earlier because I didn't get that minority can be more enjoyable sometimes. Getting a deconfirmation at E3 though would've been the worst thing but frankly, it will live for some months before we know how it will be rep.

Oh well, I guess the language barrier is really annoying.

Wow I checked the first pages of the thread as posting this. Support really changed I can't believe who showed their support before. Ah, I wish I was there before.
Many people previously supported Paper Mario but I guess after the confirmation of Rosalina, many gave up. That's my guess.
I've mostly given up, but I've wanted this character ever since a kid. Especially after seeing a trophy of him in Melee. I remember a friend and I sent an email to Nintendo with potential ideas of his moveset. Hahaha so naive and young.

D

Deleted member

As much as I want characters like Tails or King Boo, I know they are never going to happen so why get my hopes up for them when I can be excited for the characters we are getting. As for why I joined Smashboards, mostly because the people I talk to about this Smash 4 don't really know about leaks or character selection process or even follow the game as closely as this community does, and some just have stupid Ideas. I literally know someone who legitimately thinks: dodging/blocking is cheap, says Sonic is broken in brawl(even with ought items on), thinks villagers from minecraft would be better than AC Villager, and regardless of what I tell him and the sources I use, refuses to believe Mega Man is 100% robot and thinks he is half human. I'd rather talk to smart people who know what they're talking about.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
As much as I want characters like Tails or King Boo, I know they are never going to happen so why get my hopes up for them when I can be excited for the characters we are getting. As for why I joined Smashboards, mostly because the people I talk to about this Smash 4 don't really know about leaks or character selection process or even follow the game as closely as this community does, and some just have stupid Ideas. I literally know someone who legitimately thinks: dodging/blocking is cheap, says Sonic is broken in brawl(even with ought items on), thinks villagers from minecraft would be better than AC Villager, and regardless of what I tell him and the sources I use, refuses to believe Mega Man is 100% robot and thinks he is half human. I'd rather talk to smart people who know what they're talking about.
That guy's a true douche.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I'm kind of in the same boat. I love the idea of Tails being playable, but I'm fully aware that it will probably never happen. At this point in time, Tails has already been shown off as a Trophy in the new Smash 3DS trailer. Even though he's shown alongside other playable character trophies, those characters are already confirmed and I don't believe that they would allude to any character being playable by showing off a trophy of that character.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
I'm loving this conversation right now.

And to be honest, I joined to talk about Krystal since she's my most wanted. I still have faith in her as a character, but I know her chances aren't that great.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
I'm kind of in the same boat. I love the idea of Tails being playable, but I'm fully aware that it will probably never happen. At this point in time, Tails has already been shown off as a Trophy in the new Smash 3DS trailer. Even though he's shown alongside other playable character trophies, those characters are already confirmed and I don't believe that they would allude to any character being playable by showing off a trophy of that character.
Precisely. Chances are if you see them before you see a trailer featuring them and giving them a tagline banner, they're likely unplayable.

Certainly the disconfirmations are becoming all the more common. Cranky Kong, Bonkers and a few others are slowly being revealed as NPCs. Personally, it's still much better to appear in Smash somehow than in no way at all! :)

Also, the bosses in Smash Run may be like City Trial's Dyna Blade or Tac. As in they may appear as an event (A boss has appeared! Or something akin to that) and will appear for a short time. If they are damaged or defeated in that period they would likely drop power ups.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
That guy's a true douche.
No, no, not a douche, just really stubborn and ignorant.
So, yeah, a little bit.

Many people previously supported Paper Mario but I guess after the confirmation of Rosalina, many gave up. That's my guess.
I've mostly given up, but I've wanted this character ever since a kid. Especially after seeing a trophy of him in Melee. I remember a friend and I sent an email to Nintendo with potential ideas of his moveset. Hahaha so naive and young.
See, this is why I could never have Sakurai's job.

Different Nintendo fans connect so strongly with so many different characters, like you do with Paper Mario, or I did with Sonic, or everyone else did with Mega Man and Pac-Man.
I couldn't chose if I knew that. Every decision I made for the roster would make one group happy, but sorely let down another.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
I'm loving this conversation right now.

And to be honest, I joined to talk about Krystal since she's my most wanted. I still have faith in her as a character, but I know her chances aren't that great.
I wouldn't mind Krystal being playable. I'm a pretty big fan of the Star Fox franchise. I do believe that if Star Fox were to get another character, Krystal is probably the front-runner.

NonSpecificGuy

Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I wouldn't mind Krystal being playable. I'm a pretty big fan of the Star Fox franchise. I do believe that if Star Fox were to get another character, Krystal is probably the front-runner.
If she uses the staff and her Final Smash is that pterodactyl at the beginning of Adventures she'll be the best character ever.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
See, this is why I could never have Sakurai's job.

Different Nintendo fans connect so strongly with so many different characters, like you do with Paper Mario, or I did with Sonic, or everyone else did with Mega Man and Pac-Man.
I couldn't chose if I knew that. Every decision I made for the roster would make one group happy, but sorely let down another.
"The amount of stress I feel, it's almost to the brink of death" - Masahiro Sakurai

Morbi

Scavenger
"The amount of stress I feel, it's almost to the brink of death" - Masahiro Sakurai
Hyperbole at its finest, unless he has actually been to the brink of death and developing Smash feels the same way. I suppose it was not easy omitting the most prominent Pokemon character ever and pissing off three different fan-bases. Poor Sakurai-kun. But hey, at least we have three redundant variants of Mii Fighters. Hip hip hurrah! It was a decent choice for those who never intend on playing online. :)

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
haha well, on that note, I do have a confession to make when I was young.

Just to remind you, I only started to love video games around a year after I sold my Gamecube because I played ssbm. But I did played n64 games before (still remember the first: donkey kong 64). And because I didn't know why games were that good without even realising it, I couldn't enjoy them as much (that is, until I played ssbm).

So, this will surprise you but yes I did played Paper Mario 64 and guess what, I didn't like it at all. My memories are fuzzy but that's so weird to not like that game until I bought it on VC years later when I realised that I love rpg. Kinda ironic to like the series a lot today but that's what happened.

Tbh with you, I heard of the paper mario series in 2012 when I was watching speedruns of that game (there's a streamer that popularized a lot this game for speedrun making it super broken because more glitch hunter). And as you may have guessed, that's how I got TTYD and I'm still addicted to it.

So, I came kinda super late but that's still so ironic to not wanting to play as my most want before to then love him.

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
I am not a little biased towards my most wanted character. It is better to remain objective at all times; when I detect bias, it must be eradicated.
I am not biased at all with any character because you never know until you try them out. The only problem is, how can I last until then? :cry:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Aren't the Boards such a better place when people aren't yelling or flamming each other! :b:

nintendotaku

Smash Rookie
am i the only one who wants (even tho it will never ever happen) miku hatsune in smash? i know it would sell alot of wii u . i also (more likely and want more) king k rool, krystal, another zelda rep. (ghirahim?) , and most importantly i want magikarp cause he is the shiz. they would have to tone down hiss op moves tho. :129: #magikarp4smash

Last edited:

Autumn ♫

I'm terrible with these Custom Titles.
am i the only one who wants (even tho it will never ever happen) miku hatsune in smash? i know it would sell alot of wii u . i also (more likely and want more) king k rool, krystal, another zelda rep. (ghirahim?) , and most importantly i want magikarp cause he is the shiz. they would have to tone down hiss op moves tho. :129: #magikarp4smash
Nope, I'd love to see her in too, I just keep to actively supporting characters that actually have a chance, as seen through my sig. :troll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom