• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean, minus the Miis, I'm not against any of the newcomers on the Sal leak. Just putting it out there. Though I would be ticked (hehe) if K. Rool isn't playable. But I think he is, so it's all good. Plus, I got Little Mac. I can't be disappointed! Unless the Ice Climbers are cut. But they're not! So it's all good.

Headcrab Jackalope

Smash Ace
NNID
Jackalope1313
3DS FC
0791-2751-5749
Switch FC
SW-2418-1451-4036
It's Greninja, isn't it?
GIMME YOUR PICKLES PRISMO
As surprising as some of the characters have been, none of them have pissed me off. In fact, the ones most anticipated and predicted (Mega Man and Little Mac) are the most boring to me. The characters no one saw coming are the ones that get me the most excited. I had no idea we'd get ZSS and R.O.B. in Brawl! But yet, we get them, and they're my favorite characters.

Wii Fit Trainer and Villager were interesting to me from the get-go. I think I found mains in the forms of Rosalina and Greninja because of how interesting they are. I'm happy with the choices Sakurai is making. And even if I get my most wanted, Palutena, who knows? Maybe I'll find her boring and rather play someone else. I didn't expect Rosalina or Greninja at all, and they're shaping to be my favorites right now.
I agree with this so much. Mega Man hardly hyped me up at all. Little Mac kind of did, but it was mostly the trailer that did that. Villager, Rosalina, and Greninja are my favorite newcomers so far. I honestly love the more unexpected choices. The most anticipated characters usually seem boring to me(Aside from Ridley, K. Rool, and to a lesser extent, Palutena), so I tend to want the characters who have very small amounts of support. *looks over at Plasm Wraith*

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
So wait, can someone explain the Sal leak to me? If i'm thinking of the same one, he didn't predict Rosalina. I could be wrong though.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Don't complain when your favorite characters don't make it in.
Just look at some of my favorites. Fawful. Porky. Gary Oak. KING HARKINIAN! CAPTAIN N!!!
I know none of these are going to be in.

Yet I am still excited for Smash 4. We are going to get a well-balanced game, that will be lots of fun! So what if ONE character doesn't get in?

All that matters is that SSB4 is finally on the horizon after all these years, and it will be great.

And in the grand scheme of things, it is a game. It's not going to affect your life in any way, and it certainly shouldn't make you genuinely upset.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Seems like I'm the only one here that is more curious about the veteran characters being adjusted, and the adjustments to the mechanics determining the shifts to the metagame.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So wait, can someone explain the Sal leak to me? If i'm thinking of the same one, he didn't predict Rosalina. I could be wrong though.
From what I understand, the original "leaker" made a post predicting Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Mega Man, Little Mac, Pac-Man, and Miis before E3. Obviously, four out of those six happened. Sometime later, the same person apparently said that Chrom, Palutena, Shulk, Chorus Men, and a Pokemon from X and Y would be in as well. yeah, go figure the hardest series to predict would have a vague, can't-be-wrong prediction

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Don't complain when your favorite characters don't make it in.
Just look at some of my favorites. Fawful. Porky. Gary Oak. KING HARKINIAN! CAPTAIN N!!!
I know none of these are going to be in.

Yet I am still excited for Smash 4. We are going to get a well-balanced game, that will be lots of fun! So what if ONE character doesn't get in?

All that matters is that SSB4 is finally on the horizon after all these years, and it will be great.

And in the grand scheme of things, it is a game. It's not going to affect your life in any way, and it certainly shouldn't make you genuinely upset.
And I'm very certain that somewhere down the line...someone is gonna try to find a way to mod in characters just like with Brawl.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Seems like I'm the only one here that is more curious about the veteran characters being adjusted, and the adjustments to the mechanics determining the shifts to the metagame.
I really want to see what's happening with the Ice Climbers. No doubt they're staying due to the Polar Bear in Smash Run, but will they be unable to be desynched? Will the death grabs stay? Will they finally get a useful Down Air that has a ton less ending lag? Burning questions for such cold characters.

If we're lucky we'll find out this week. Maybe. Likely not, but still.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Nah, I'm with you. I got Little Mac so I'm definitely more curious about the adjustments that are gonna be made to the game and the design applied now. At this point I'm also more excited to see Captain Falcon and Wario and some other veterans than any other possible newcomer.

Although, the Gematsu leak with Chorus Kids DOES make me hyped for a Rhythm Heaven character. lol

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
GIMME YOUR PICKLES PRISMO
Done.
They're at your house.

That was your only wish.
I really want to see what's happening with the Ice Climbers. No doubt they're staying due to the Polar Bear in Smash Run, but will they be unable to be desynched? Will the death grabs stay? Will they finally get a useful Down Air that has a ton less ending lag? Burning questions for such cold characters.

Plot Twist: Ike is cut, but Ice Climbers are now changed to Ike Climbers, which is an Ike clone but with the double-fight Ice Zclimber mechanic.
Oh, and the Ikes are wearing Ice Climber outfits.

The Suit-less Ace

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2234-7574-2599
What do you think is the deal with retro characters at this point? Lip is basically disconfirmed and Greninja lowers Takamaru's chances so.............? What now?

Done.
They're at your house.

That was your only wish.

Plot Twist: Ike is cut, but Ice Climbers are now changed to Ike Climbers, which is an Ike clone but with the double-fight Ice Zclimber mechanic.
Oh, and the Ikes are wearing Ice Climber outfits.
April fools. Those don't exist. :ike::popo: (Ike is right next to Ice Climbers for the emoticons)

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
What do you think is the deal with retro characters at this point? Lip is basically disconfirmed and Greninja lowers Takamaru's chances so.............? What now?
There doesn't seem to be enough room on the roster to be honest.
Assuming all Brawl veterans return, after you add the "necessary" and most likely newcomers, there doesn't seem to be any room left (assuming we get a 52 character roster max).

Last edited:

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337

April fools. Those don't exist.
What now? WHAT NOW?!? The only available retro of course!
image.jpg

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

)
Quotas aside, have you heard about our Lord and Savior Muddy Mole? I've always liked the idea of him getting in, personally.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings

I suppose the main problem that should be fixed right now is make the grabs less game breaking. Either adjusting the throws themselves, or introducing a mechanic that discourages chain grabbing in general.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I suppose the main problem that should be fixed right now is make the grabs less game breaking. Either adjusting the throws themselves, or introducing a mechanic that discourages chain grabbing in general.
Perhaps a sort of input lag of sorts could be put on Nana's grabs while Popo is grabbing the opponent? Not sure how feasible that is, though.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'm going with 52-54.

Brawl had a total of 39 playable characters, so adding 15 doesn't seem that unrealistic.
Out of curiosity, since you seem to think we'll be getting a larger roster, when do you think they'll reveal those new characters? Do you think we'd get a bunch at E3, or do you think there will just be a lot of secret newcomers?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I wonder if they'll change Dedede's grab also.
I never really played Dedede until recently (and now I really enjoy using him, funny enough), but maybe more knockback on his Down Throw could fix most of his chaingrab issues.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
N64 Logo?
That was actually my most wanted newcomer a while back.
I'd still gladly accept his inclusion as a WTF Retro, like how Mr. G&W and R.O.B. were.
NO! The Hall of famin, super sluggin, ultra Retro, KEN GRIFFEY JR.!

The Suit-less Ace

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2234-7574-2599
I'm going with 52-54.

Brawl had a total of 39 playable characters, so adding 15 doesn't seem that unrealistic.
That sounds similar to what I would say. I think the only cuts though will be Snake and maybe Lucus. Also, cutting Snake shows how Pack-Man can replace him.

Out of curiosity, since you seem to think we'll be getting a larger roster, when do you think they'll reveal those new characters? Do you think we'd get a bunch at E3, or do you think there will just be a lot of secret newcomers?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
DDD just needs knockback adjustments to his grab game.
Quotas aside, have you heard about our Lord and Savior Muddy Mole? I've always liked the idea of him getting in, personally.
Stop.

You're making me sad.

Last edited:

The Suit-less Ace

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2234-7574-2599
I'd like it if Mewtwo was a secret character, and Sakurai made everyone think that Mewtwo wasn't in by not revealing him before the game.

D

Deleted member

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
If they somehow incorperated Mime Tyson, Ken Griffey Jr., or Derek Jeter in smash, I would never leave my house again

Ok, back to the topic- Ike. What are his chances? Also, if he returns, any changes in his initial moveset?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
If they somehow incorperated Mime Tyson, Ken Griffey Jr., or Derek Jeter in smash, I would never leave my house again

Ok, back to the topic- Ike. What are his chances? Also, if he returns, any changes in his initial moveset?
I'd say he's got a great shot at returning, given his importance in Fire Emblem's pretty much ONLY behind Marth's. For changes? Hopefully more range and approach options.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Since Chrom doesn't really play like him in Fire Emblem Awakening (Chrom is actually more like Marth if anything), I'd say he's got a good chance to return since there's nobody to replace him.

I'll echo that he needs better approach, and I'll add that he needs a better recovery as well.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I stopped speculating once a character in the lowest tier possible I had on my chance tier list was confirmed.

Now I'm just going with the flow.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Takamaru's chances have nothing to do with Greninja, Takamaru is a samurai, not a ninja. Even so, that wouldn't have lowered his chances regardless, that would be like the flapping of a butterfly's wings in Mexico causing a tsunami in Japan. I'm still holding out hope for him, nothing so far has convinced me otherwise.

D

Deleted member

So I presume everything else being adjusted to be more diverse and accessible, basically fixing the complaints with Super Smash Bros. Brawl, doesn't matter at all and the game is automatically **** tier because the roster doesn't live up to your hopes and dreams.

Hello, anyone remember that we're getting the Super Smash Bros. Brawl we should of gotten?
Perhaps the silliest thing I have ever seen is when people state they're not getting the game because of "X character is not included!" If one character exclusion is going to ruin a game for you, then you don't deserve to play it. That's not to say that people don't have the right to criticize Sakurai on character decision (I certainly would with how Sakurai has handled Ridley), but there's more to the game than just characters.
When the Gematsu leak comes true, you can restate this a bit less crassly (and with less generalizing) and be completely in the right in doing so, "how dare you" and "entitled brat" reactions aside. If you have standards that aren't met with the roster, let them out...if it were literally any other aspect of the game you were critiquing, no one would bat an eye. But I'd wait until then if I were you, since we may still have decent surprises in the pipeline.
Even when the Gematsu's leak comes true, King Shadow would still not be right. I already made a post explaining that Sakurai isn't making the majority of newcomers surprise additions and that Melee had more surprises than this game does. Beside, most of the characters in the Gematsu leak are solid choices; the only possible exceptions are Pac-Man and Chrom. We'll also see a few more aside from them, there's still Mewtwo and a retro character that haven't been confirmed yet as well as potentially more down the pipe line (a DK newcomer, Isaac, Tingle etc.).
I mostly just want them to make an unique Ganondorf. I mean, they've adjusted already unique characters, why not give the most important Zelda villain his own move set already? Resource would be better spent on that than a new Zelda character.
I'm sure Ness and Falcon will be in, but Lucus is a possible cut. I think Snake is most likely to be cut next. If there are anymore cuts that is.
I can't see Lucas getting cut at this point. Ivysaur, Squirtle, Snake and to a lesser extent, Ike, are the only ones I could see leaving.

April fools. Those don't exist. :ike::popo: (Ike is right next to Ice Climbers for the emoticons)
I'm still betting on a retro newcomer. If it's not Takamaru, it'll be Mach Rider (or someone we didn't see coming).
There doesn't seem to be enough room on the roster to be honest.
Assuming all Brawl veterans return, after you add the "necessary" and most likely newcomers, there doesn't seem to be any room left (assuming we get a 52 character roster max).
But we're probably going to see Snake, Ivysaur and Squirtle leave.

I'd say he's very likely coming back, even with Chrom's inclusion. He's the main lord of two games and is an extremely popular Brawl character. He's not getting replaced, that's for sure and he has more going for him than Roy did in Melee and he almost got in Brawl. I'd say our chances of us getting Marth, Roy, Ike and Chrom is greater than us just getting Marth and Chrom (seriously, that would be awful).

For changes, Sakurai did mention he planned on having the Ragnell in Brawl, but cut it due to it being too powerful. Maybe we'll see Sakurai revisit that concept.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805

Grab breaks for the love of god. Seriously, that alone would stop people from furiously mashing out of a grab.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom