• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Enough Counters already. :rolleyes:
We're getting Chrom anyways, so the damage will already be done. Come to think of it at least 3 of the 12 newcomers will have a counter if Chrom has one, unless we also count Palutena too in which case it's 4, that's a bit overkill honestly.

Last edited:

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Isn't Mach Rider a girl?

Nintendo's all-star drag kings: Sheik, Samus, Mach Rider, Lucina, Villager, female trainer in Pokemon Crystal (sprite of female changes into male trainer when trading or battling with another game). Am I missing any? :awesome:

Neerb

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3308-4587-7068
Nintendo's all-star drag kings: Sheik, Samus, Mach Rider, Lucina, Villager, female trainer in Pokemon Crystal (sprite of female changes into male trainer when trading or battling with another game). Am I missing any? :awesome:
Technically neither Samus nor Mach Rider ever pretend to be men; people just assume they are.

Also, Birdo and Paper Mario 2's Vivian are both drag queens in Japan, but were simply deemed women in English.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Yes, let's have another generic goddamn (usually Down+B) counter attack. All three Fire Emblem characters already have one, so why not Chrom to fill it out?

(and don't get me started on the non-FE characters)

At least the fanmade counter idea that Lyndis had on her support thread was somewhat unique.

In all honesty I think that Shulk will be getting a counter, if not multiple.

That whole future sight thing he's got going on really solidifies my claim.
Yeah, the visions do make it obvious. But it better be something other than a simple "get hit, attack back" kind of thing.

---

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Yes, let's have another generic goddamn (usually Down+B) counter attack. All the Fire Emblem characters already have one, so why not Chrom to fill it out?

At least the fanmade counter idea that Lyndis had on her support thread was somewhat unique.

---
marthikelittlemacpalutenamiiswordfighterprobablychrommaybeshulk

Let's just put counter on EVERYTHING.

Last edited:

Neerb

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3308-4587-7068
Yes, let's have another generic goddamn (usually Down+B) counter attack. All three Fire Emblem characters already have one, so why not Chrom to fill it out? (and don't get me started on the non-FE characters)

---
As long as it's a Fire Emblem thing, I honestly wouldn't mind Chrom having it. What I don't like is Palutena having it, and I certainly don't want Takamaru or Shulk to have it.

Last edited:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
As long as it's a Fire Emblem thing, I honestly wouldn't mind Chrom having it. What I don't like is Palutena having it, and I certainly don't want Takamaru or Shulk to have it.
I don't really want it to be a FE thing, either. I know counter-attacking is a part of the series gameplay, but I feel that it's still redundant.

If there are more counter attacks, at least give them variety and stuff, so they feel fresh.
Although I don't really know if it is possible to add all that much variety to a counter attack. They aren't like projectile attacks or blunt attacks.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Maybe Chrom will use his shield in his counter?

I don't know, I think that would give him some variety.
He's 100% going to have a counter attack.

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Technically neither Samus nor Mach Rider ever pretend to be men; people just assume they are.

Also, Birdo and Paper Mario 2's Vivian are both drag queens in Japan, but were simply deemed women in English.
I know, but I was just joking...

Bah, you guys aren't fun. :( :laugh:

Anyway, people are right when they say Counter is the new Landmaster lol.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings

He's probably going to specialize with guard reversals, giving Shulk the options to avoid pressuring and likewise punish reckless play.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
He talked about Pokemon being "hot" before, but also mentioned longevity. Could we also apply this to other characters? That Sakurai is looking for interesting, popular, and memorable characters?

So, does Greninja fit in, with what Sakurai said?
From the sound of it, Greninja is the exception aside from representing Gen 6. Obviously he's wasn't the hot pick at the point of when he was chosen as it was before XY's release, and GF isn't pushing him to a heavy extent like they always do with their promoted/popular Pokémon (ex. MegaCharizard X). Plus, Sakurai said that he picked him out of concept art and made him using that as a basis, so it seems like he was picked because of what the character can do this time around.

marthikelittlemacpalutenamiiswordfighterprobablychrommaybeshulk
Let's just put counter on EVERYTHING.
You get a Counter, he gets a counter!

Everyone gets a Counter!

Last edited:

Neerb

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3308-4587-7068
I don't really want it to be a FE thing, either. I know counter-attacking is a part of the series gameplay, but I feel that it's still redundant.

If there are more counter attacks, at least give them variety and stuff, so they feel fresh.
Although I don't really know if it is possible to add all that much variety to a counter attack. They aren't like projectile attacks or blunt attacks.
Peach's Neutral Special, the original Smash counter, is a great example of a creative counter. Lucario's was too, but now Greninja's got the same thing (albeit with a substitute doll or log, which is admittedly a hilarious ninja reference). Even Little Mac's is pretty nice, given he's a boxer.

We've also got stuff like the Star Fox Reflector, Zelda's Nayru's Love, Mewtwo's Confusion, and Mario's Cape, all of which can be interpreted as a sort of "counter," as well as absorbtion moves like Ness & Lucas's Down Special, Game & Watch's Bucket, and Villager's Pocket (neutral special).

The only problem comes in when it's a sword. Palutena's also seems dull just because she's got 12 unique moves, yet still manages to steal Marth's Down Special (although she ALSO has a reflection barrier).

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Or just, y'know.

Add Takamaru instead.
Nah, I'll pass. I'd rather have a guy riding a motorcycle equipped with guns than a swordsman with ninja stars.
I guess it's just preference because either would be good retro reps as everyone calls them.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
http://kotaku.com/mii-fighters-were-almost-part-of-smash-bros-brawl-1593073406
"Incorporating Miis was explored in the previous game, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, but I thought it over for about a minute and immediately decided against it. Since the release of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, the Mii has become an even more important figure as a personal icon through things like Miiverse. After all, it's a character you see every time you start up your Wii U, and frequently with the 3DS, so it would be fair to say [the Mii] is quite a famous Nintendo character.

We don't want the online play to become a copyright free-for-all and it's probably not as fun to play against someone using a character based on someone you may not know. It's a feature we've put quite a lot of effort into. I think it's a revolutionary thing to be able to fight with Mario or Link or Kirby with your own character. Depending on who you are, this new Smash Bros. may hold quite a different meaning compared with previous iterations of Smash Bros."
For you convince, looking at this interview, he's very well aware of what Nintendo series are successful and popular.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Nah, I'll pass. I'd rather have a guy riding a motorcycle equipped with guns than a swordsman with ninja stars.
I guess it's just preference because either would be good retro reps as everyone calls them.
Takamaru does not use Ninja Stars. He uses kunai, windmill blades, and fireballs.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
http://kotaku.com/mii-fighters-were-almost-part-of-smash-bros-brawl-1593073406

We don't want the online play to become a copyright free-for-all and it's probably not as fun to play against someone using a character based on someone you may not know.
It's nice to know that Sakurai understands this. I want to play against actual Nintendo characters online, not some garbage Miis. Banning them in "With Anyone" was definitely a smart decision.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I just realised that making a Mike Tyson Brawler Mii would be quite cool, if only to annoy Little Mac mains.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Takamaru does not use Ninja Stars. He uses kunai, windmill blades, and fireballs.

I'm going by Nintendo Land, where you use ninja stars. It's not exactly Takamaru, but your Mii takes his place I believe. I mean, he's appeared in mostly Japan exclusive games so I don't really know much about him.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I'm going by Nintendo Land, where you use ninja stars. It's not exactly Takamaru, but your Mii takes his place I believe. I mean, he's appeared in mostly Japan exclusive games so I don't really know much about him.
In Nazo no Murasame jo, he never uses them. And Nintendo Land isn't canon. So he probably wouldn't use them actually.

Malcolm Belmont

Smash Ace
NNID
King Joffery
Just curious..do you think we will see a charcter reveal in July? I just realized if we have 3 months till the game comes out and a newcomer each month then..we might not have Ridley ;(

Staarih

Smash Master
That's interesting actually, makes more sense for the Mii Fighters to have them in their moveset now, I guess haha!

I wouldn't be surprised if they just added something like this to Takamaru's moveset though, even as a customization option.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I hope Fiora makes it in as a Assist Trophy
In her machine form not her human form
I think Melia will be the only Xenoblade AT, she seems the most plausible.

Just curious..do you think we will see a charcter reveal in July? I just realized if we have 3 months till the game comes out and a newcomer each month then..we might not have Ridley ;(
Probably one of the veterans like Wario, Ice Climbers, Captain Falcon, or Metaknight.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
There are always secret characters.
The three Gematsu newcomers could be starters, revealed each month leading up to release. It's a stretch that this would occur, but it's possible. Maybe we'll get a Smash Direct that reveals multiple newcomers.

Ridley is almost definitely a secret character if in the game, at this point in time.

NickerBocker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2492-4251-5054
Do you guys think that Pacman will have a Ms. Pacman costume? I think that would be a pretty hilarious addition.

D

Deleted member

Then why is a shuriken featured as the icon for Takamaru's Ninja Castle in Nintendo Land and used extensively in said minigame to where the official tagline is "Throwing Star Showdown"?

I think it's safe to say he uses both.

EDIT (post was made before later posts were seen):
In Nazo no Murasame jo, he never uses them. And Nintendo Land isn't canon. So he probably wouldn't use them actually.

(I've been WAITING for a chance to use this image.)

And given the apparent stigma against knives in Smash (hence why Sheik and Snake are not allowed to use theirs), I'm not expecting throwing knives (which are what Takamaru is shown to use, not kunai) to be featured, leaving shuriken as a suitable substitution.

Last edited by a moderator:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master

Vivian is transgender, not a drag queen. Her sisters accept her gender identity at the end of the game.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Vivian is transgender, not a drag queen. Her sisters accept her gender identity at the end of the game.
I thought Birdo is a transgender in Japan as well?

Never played TTYD, but that's pretty cool.

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Then why is a shuriken featured as the icon for Takamaru's Ninja Castle in Nintendo Land and used extensively in said minigame to where the official tagline is "Throwing Star Showdown"?

I think it's safe to say he uses both.
1. You don't play as Takamaru in said minigame, you play as your Mii.
2. Said minigame isn't canon to the Mysterious Murasame Castle franchise.

I don't why they decided to use Shurikens but the fact is that in the original game, the only canon material, Takamaru never uses Shurikens. I think it's safe to say that if Takamaru were to appear in Smash Bros., he would use his actual weapons instead of something made up for a minigame.

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I thought Birdo is a transgender in Japan as well?
I don't think it's ever explained very well.

Yoshi is a trans guy anyway, because he's female-bodied (can lay eggs) but identifies as a guy, according to Snake's codec at least. So maybe they're in a trans girl/trans guy relationship, like Samus and Little Mac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom