• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Just let her be the third Link, relying even more on projectiles, being more of a combination of :4tlink: &:4miigun:
If Linkle is real and she gets in Smash along with Toon Link, there would be no need for Young Link.

Pakky

Smash Hero
If Linkle is real and she gets in Smash along with Toon Link, there would be no need for Young Link.
There is already no need for Young Link. I don't see why people like him, he brings nothing to the table that Toon Link doesn't already provide.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
In a game with as diverse and creative a female cast as Hyrule Warriors has, I'm constantly baffled why everyone thinks a rule 63 version of Link is the greatest character idea for the game, especially over other more unique (and canon) characters like Medli, Twinrova, Saria and Nabooru.

Hard to believe one of the biggest complaints of that game was Lana's existence as an OC, and then the same people are clamouring for a Minnie Mouse version of Link.

There's not really a need either way for Young Link.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
There is already no need for Young Link. I don't see why people like him, he brings nothing to the table that Toon Link doesn't already provide.
I hope for your sake you aren't standing in a body of water. :4olimar:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Linkle? The way I want it to happen in the Zelda games is that you choose your gender. In Smash, I think Linkle alts would be good enough.
Again about FE Fates news: I'm pissed about it. The same-sex option I have isn't Anna but a character I dislike. At least baby steps are nice. Now gimme Anna in FE15 and onward

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Linkle? The way I want it to happen in the Zelda games is that you choose your gender. In Smash, I think Linkle alts would be good enough.
Again about FE Fates news: I'm pissed about it. The same-sex option I have isn't Anna but a character I dislike. At least baby steps are nice. Now gimme Anna in FE15 and onward
But...

What if Anna is canonically straight?

I mean making EVERYONE Bi is just as bad as making everyone straight.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I can already imagine the rage from BluePikmin and every other Young Link supporter if that were to happen. It's just so cruel, yet funny at the same time. :awesome:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I personally think Linkle should only be an alt costume of Link, like Robin. That said, I don't like the idea of Linkle, partly because Link isn't a featureless protagonist. There were so many playable females already, so what's the point of a female Link?

:231:

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I personally think Linkle should only be an alt costume of Link, like Robin. That said, I don't like the idea of Linkle, partly because Link is a featureless protagonist. There were so many playable females already, so what's the point of a female Link?

:231:
Because muh Tumblr.

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
I'm honestly completely ok about how gay marriage was handled in Fire Emblem. Since not everyone is gay or bi irl, it makes sense story wise to having limited homosexual marriage options.

Don't really seeing the point of a Linkle alt in Smash unless she becomes more prominent in canon(like if they did a mainline game where the Link of that game is a girl, or if they decide to introduce gender choice like in Pokemon).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Linkle? Why? We already have Impa. She makes more sence as a female playable character in The Legend of Zelda. Not that I think they'll ever make a female Link, because I never really hear girls complaining about having to play as Link.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Linkle? Why? We already have Impa. She makes more sence as a female playable character in The Legend of Zelda. Not that I think they'll ever make a female Link, because I never really hear girls complaining about having to play as Link.
I was actually just about to suggest why not have Impa as the female equivalent?

What's Link's job? Fight off the incarnations of Demise whilst protecting/saving Princess Zelda.

What's Impa's job? Fight off the incarnations of Demise whilst protecting/saving Princess Zelda.

Seriously, just use Impa. She's already established as a constant in the Zelda universe, fits the role perfectly, and is 100 X more creative than giving Link breasts.

I mean you don't see the female Pokemon trainers looking EXACTLY THE DAMN SAME as the male ones but with a skirt now do you? Why should Zelda do something so lazy design wise?

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Zelda has so many options. Malon, Impa, Tetra, Medli, Ruto, Fi, Saria, Din, Nayru, Great Fairy (can be resized :troll:), Link's Grandma. Heck, even Toon Zelda. How you could resort to Linkle before exploring any of these possibilities is mind-blowing.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I was actually just about to suggest why not have Impa as the female equivalent?

What's Link's job? Fight off the incarnations of Demise whilst protecting/saving Princess Zelda.

What's Impa's job? Fight off the incarnations of Demise whilst protecting/saving Princess Zelda.

Seriously, just use Impa. She's already established as a constant in the Zelda universe, fits the role perfectly, and is 100 X more creative than giving Link breasts.

I mean you don't see the female Pokemon trainers looking EXACTLY THE DAMN SAME as the male ones but with a skirt now do you? Why should Zelda do something so lazy design wise?
Yes exactly, and now that Impa has already been given Link's second most iconic fighting style ; dual handed blade, Biggorron Sword in Hyrule Warriors. She was also the first confirmed playable character next to Link, and, like Link, Zelda, Sheik and Ganondorf, has received a new design not drawn out of one game specifically. I think this is a huge sign / hint at future playable appearances. But I also could just be gasping at straws. As it stands now though, I think the best possible choices for a female playable Zelda character in the main series is a character that's already well established. Impa fits the role. But I also wouldn't 100% rule out Zelda or Sheik. Leaning more towards Impa, because making Zelda playable could prove difficult for the story.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
There's not really a need either way for Young Link.
Watch some videos of people playing Link, Young Link, and Toon Link in tournaments. You'll see how different people play them. Or just read this if you don't feel like it (Or can't).
Here is my analysis on the three Links.
:4link:Link uses projectiles to help his approach, and limit the opponent's options. After this, he will proceed to attack you at Melee range using Neutral Areals, and the first part of his jab for combos. He also uses the Clawshot in the air as a way to approach. As for KOs, Link has by far the most options, being able to KO with all of his smashes, Up Areal, Dash Attack, and Forward Tilt.
:4tlink:Toon Link uses projectiles to keep the opponent away at all costs. Opponent gets close? Toon Link repels him/her/it with a Neutral, Forward, or Back Areal. Time for a KO? Toon Link uses his Up Smash, Up Areal, or Back Throw.
:younglinkmelee:Young Link likes to attack with Neutral, Back, and sometimes Forward Areals. He uses the Boomerang as an extention of his normal moves, and likes to chain them with the aforementioned attacks. Unlike the other two Links, he doesn't really use the Fire Bow. (Well Link and Toon Link don't have the Fire Bow but you get what I mean. He doesn't use the bow) Young Link can grab on to walls using the Hookshot, and does so to aid in recovery. (Granted, Link could do this in Melee too but it's still a difference using everyone's most recent appearance.) Young Link also likes using Bombs for stage control, and combos, and his best KO option is oddly his Down Areal.
Toon Link and Young Link are not the same thing.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You are implying that Young Link will keep the exact same playstyle as in Melee? I highly doubt it, even if he's gonna be exactly the same visually.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
You are implying that Young Link will keep the exact same playstyle as in Melee? I highly doubt it, even if he's gonna be exactly the same visually.
No. I'm just saying that as it is, they are different. And decloning Young Link from Toon Link will make all of them even more different as long as they don't give him some of Toon Link's moves. (And I don't think they will since the whole point is to declone him, not make him similar to the other Link.)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
No. I'm just saying that as it is, they are different. And decloning Young Link from Toon Link will make all of them even more different as long as they don't give him some of Toon Link's moves. (And I don't think they will since the whole point is to declone him, not make him similar to the other Link.)
He'd be more similar to Link in terms of moveset functionality and animations, but his build and stat spread would basically be exactly like a less floaty Toon Link. Is that what you really want?

Pakky

Smash Hero
Watch some videos of people playing Link, Young Link, and Toon Link in tournaments. You'll see how different people play them. Or just read this if you don't feel like it (Or can't).

Toon Link and Young Link are not the same thing.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
But...

What if Anna is canonically straight?

I mean making EVERYONE Bi is just as bad as making everyone straight.
While I agree that making everyone a same sex option is bad.
It's Anna.
She's kinda the go-to character that IS can use for any role they wish, or at least, any current incarnation of her bloodline.

D

Deleted member

Anna has only one love.

...and that's money.

Her ideal husband:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

HEY
BY YOUR LOGIC
SHE SHOULD BE GAY FOR PAY.
GENDER DOESN'T MATTER, ONLY MONEY.
That implies she likes the person with the money.

She's neither straight, bi, nor gay.
She has relations with the money.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Looks like pre-ballot DLC is over.

https://sourcegaming.wordpress.com/...in-the-battle-sakurai-famitsu-column-vol-481/

Better get to voting, Wolf fans.
"There is a fighter ballot on the official Smash for Wii U/3DS website. We’ve received an extremely large number of votes, but of course, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu were in developed even before the ballot was created. I had a grasp on their popularity and demand, though."

No.... sounds like what we knew before. And further reaffirms the suspicions that :wolf: is being worked on, imo.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That is a reskin of Toon Link with some extra animations thrown in. Nothing functions differently than what Toon Link has. This actually confirms my suspicions of Young Link being taller than Toon Link, as they made his legs much more stubby to make it fit. And I'm surprised it even worked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWUarsV0Mk4 What Young Link does.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crzco84189Y What Link does.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K6k4R-NrYE What Toon Link does.
He'd be more similar to Link in terms of moveset functionality and animations, but his build and stat spread would basically be exactly like a less floaty Toon Link. Is that what you really want?
If it means I get to play him, then yes. As far as stats go, I see Young Link as the middle ground between the other two Links. Not as slow, heavy, and strong as Link, but not as fast, light, and weak as Toon Link. As for playstyle, I think he would function similarly to how he does in Melee, but with some decloned moves to help his combo game. For his speials, they will remain largely the same, but the bombs would be a better combo starter, and the Fire Arrows would act a little bit more like Toon Link's (kinda terrible) Fire Arrows custom in that it can set the floor on fire, aiding in stage control, and combos.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
"There is a fighter ballot on the official Smash for Wii U/3DS website. We’ve received an extremely large number of votes, but of course, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu were in developed even before the ballot was created. I had a grasp on their popularity and demand, though."

No.... sounds like what we knew before. And further reaffirms the suspicions that :wolf: is being worked on, imo.
He follows that up with "From now until the end, it is going to be fan service" - sounds to me like all the remaining characters are going to be added due to preliminary poll results.

I'm sure characters are being worked on, but I have no doubt that the basis for them are the ballot results.

Last edited:
NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
He follows that up with "From now until the end, it is going to be fan service" - sounds to me like all the remaining characters are going to be added due to preliminary poll results.

I'm sure characters are being worked on, but I have no doubt that the basis for them are the poll results.
...so pretty much, we can say K.Rool confirmed? :p

Burruni

Smash Hero

I'm sure characters are being worked on, but I have no doubt that the basis for them are the ballot results.
I understand how it can be interpreted that way.

But "It's going to be fan service" and "These veterans were worked on due to their popularity and demand" in the same interview certainly doesn't HURT the theory :wolf: as Pre-Ballot, imo

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I understand how it can be interpreted that way.

But "It's going to be fan service" and "These veterans were worked on due to their popularity and demand" in the same interview certainly doesn't HURT the theory :wolf: as Pre-Ballot, imo
Straight from the translator's (one of them, anyway):

これからは、あくまでサービス

"From now". It means it wasn't before. Therefore, we are going to start getting ballot characters (or characters being requested on the ballot).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom