• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
The fear is that Ryu opens the opportunity for Smash Brothers to be flooded with Third Party characters, that is not everyone's fear, but it is one of them.
This is a nonsensical fear to have. Ryu is at least as iconic as both Mega Man and Snake by pretty much any metric you choose to consider, certainly has more historical association than Snake with Nintendo, and is the icon of the genre.

Interestingly Tekken has apparently sold more games overall than Street Fighter.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Wow, overgeneralize much? :glare:

I agree with @Scoliosis Jones. Although Ryu is not Spyro, I think it'd be cool to have him join. :) There's a lot of good that can come from it.
If you were on Miiverse or any Sega forum, you would know how they felt about it. But that is a subject that I'll save for another time since it's rather late for me.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I'd say there's another iconic third party character left, but some don't seem to agree. The third parties we have all shaped the gaming world in some way, and you know who else did? Rayman. People can hate Ubisoft all they want, but Ubisoft is a giant of the gaming industry, they even have more games on the Wii U and 3DS than Namco and Capcom combined, and they have twice as many as Sega. But once upon a time, Ubisoft was a small company with hardly any influence at all, but do you know who it was that put them on the map? Who it was that was so successful that Ubisoft was able to expand into the company they are today? It wasn't a Persian Prince, it was a thingamajig with floating body parts. The first two Rayman games were both critically acclaimed, and Rayman himself has lived on to this day, something that other gaming characters of the 90's have all failed to do.

But why should we care what Rayman has done for Ubisoft? This is a Nintendo fighter, right? That's a riot! But even though people accuse Ubisoft of "betraying" Nintendo by making Legends multiplatform, they were still at least supporting Nintendo at all. Ubisoft was the first third party to support the Wii U and the last one to jump ship. And both Ubisoft and Rayman have been with Nintendo for almost the entire 20 years of Rayman's existence. His second game was on the N64, and it was a launch title for both the DS and the 3DS, and even though his first game wasn't originally on Nintendo consoles, it has since been ported many times. Hell, Rayman Raving Rabbids was changed completely because of the Wii, and the series became completely Nintendo exclusive.

And if you want to talk about moveset potential, he's got that in spades. Think Mega Man is all projectiles? Rayman would be the first character to literally have a full projectile moveset that's still a physical moveset at the same time. Ness got you down with his PSI Magnet? That thing can't absorb a fist, and that fist is going to hit him from across the stage. Rayman can float around with helicopter hair, could you imagine switching your fall speed from Fox to Jigglypuff? That kind of air control is Little Mac's nightmare. He's got all sorts of powers too, from the energy spheres from Rayman 2 (which would make for a completely unique projectile itself) to the laser washing cans in Rayman 3 that let him do an assortment of things, there's too much for all of it to fit!

Do I even need to mention the fact that he has three trophies in Smash U already? No licensing issues there.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
There is so much wrong with this post.

1st) It is not the responsibility for companies to stay with Nintendo if their product won't see success there. That's why a lot of companies don't put their product there. EA, Konami, Ubisoft, and several others don't make nearly as much money if they sell their games on other consoles. They don't owe Nintendo anything
They don't sell the games on Nintendo consoles as much. Which is also the reason why any deals to put the characters in the game does not benefit Nintendo the most, since the Third Party companies will release their games on other consoles. Nintendo also made the mistake of trying to win back the Wii fans, but they already got the console they need and have no reason to upgrade.
Only fans of Smash Brothers will get it and according to the general gaming public, Nintendo is a joke. The Nintendo Wii put them in that position in the eyes of the non-casual gaming market. Which is why gamers of the Xbox and Playstation variety only switch between those two consoles.

2nd) 3rd parties get in because they are easily recognizable and come with a legacy. It is not Smash Bros. job to give a 3rd party a boost. The 3rd party character should be able to hold themselves above water.
I agree with you there, but that is one of the major reasons people want certain Third Party characters in Smash Brothers.

3rd) One game is all it takes to make you eligible. The legacy a character has makes them far more desirable to add. That's what separates Ryu and Solid Snake from Shovel Knight. The impact these characters have on gaming are far greater than any indie can currently argue.
That is better wording.

4th) Pretty sure all 3rd party characters brought something new, but were added because of how iconic they are within the gaming industry. It's not just a black or white thing. The standards for 3rd parties are far different from that of a 1st party character, so a 3rd party with "moveset potential" but hardly any legacy won't be considered when compared to one that does
They did, but the statement was about what Nintendo needs to focus on when picking Third Party characters, not those who are already in.

5th) I highly doubt that. That's assuming that people only like ONE character that isn't within the current 50 we have. If you're that stingy, you're probably in the minority.
Calling back to your earlier post that mentions Third Party games sell more on non-Nintendo consoles is true in that Nintendo has become a joke in terms of being a true gaming console in the eyes of the public. Not many fans of a Third Party character even touch Smash Brothers, because that requires buying a console for a game they do not own. Those who are fans of Smash, but do not want a Wii U or 3DS will just find a friend or someone who has one and play it over there. There is also the false notion that Smash Brothers is a kiddy game. Not to us Smash fans, but to the hardcore and general gaming public (Melee is hardcore with how it is played, but they are still called out to be a "non fighting" game in the Fighting Game Community. A lot less, but it has not yet gone away).

Ryu isn't just a your average Joe. Sakurai maintained his standards with this pick. If we see more 3rd party characters, at least be sure that they will be quality characters.
This is why we have restrictions, to ensure that these Third Party Characters that are chosen are of top quality.

This is a nonsensical fear to have. Ryu is at least as iconic as both Mega Man and Snake by pretty much any metric you choose to consider, certainly has more historical association than Snake with Nintendo, and is the icon of the genre.
Not necessarily. The reason of Ryu's inclusion will determine the leverage other Third Party characters have when getting in. If Capcom struck a specific deal with Nintendo about an exclusive game, then other companies are more likely to do the same.

Last edited:

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
This is why we have restrictions, to ensure that these Third Party Characters that are chosen are of top quality.
I could be totally misreading this, but we don't have any say in terms of third party characters in the whole grand scheme of things. Only the ballot gives some third parties the option for that and, to be honest, only one Third party is getting picked from that...or none at all.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
I'm indifferent when it comes to Ryu's inclusion. Traditional fighting games don't interest me as much as Smash games, but seeing a traditional fighter like Ryu appear in the series would be nice. Plus Ryu embodies the fighting genre and Street Fighter has had a history with Nintendo, so his inclusion is justifiable IMO.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I think people find him dull for the same reasons people see Superman dull. He's kinda like the original fighting game character, so him being seen as dull isn't exactly that justified.
Basically this. He's basically Goku without the "accidentally rip a wet fart and rip the universe in half" levels of strength or the loveable levels of hurr durr that is Goku's personality. Even before Street Fighter, the "striving to become the world's strongest fighter" archetype was already done to death and Ryu envelops it right down to his freakin' wardrobe. He is still basically "Mr. Fighting Games" though so that's why he's iconic.

Anyways, there's no way in Hell that Street Fighter isn't going to get Mii DLC at this point. Chun Li, Zangief, Bison, Ken, etc will no doubt be costume options akin to Protoman and X.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I could be totally misreading this, but we don't have any say in terms of third party characters in the whole grand scheme of things. Only the ballot gives some third parties the option for that and, to be honest, only one Third party is getting picked from that...or none at all.
When I say "restrictions" I mean the amount of paper work and the amount of Lawyer meddling it will require to make certain characters possible.

There may be other restrictions, but those are constantly changing whether stated or not depending on what Sakurai says. Sakurai does have guidelines that he follows, but even those change in time.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Basically this. He's basically Goku without the "accidentally rip a wet fart and rip the universe in half" levels of strength or the loveable levels hurr durr that is Goku's personality. Even before Street Fighter, the "striving to become the world's strongest fighter" archetype was already done to death right and Ryu envelops it right down to his freakin' wardrobe. He is still basically "Mr. Fighting Games" though so that's why he's iconic.

Anyways, there's no way in Hell that Street Fighter isn't going to get Mii DLC at this point. Chun Li, Zangief, Bison, Ken, etc will no doubt be costume options akin to Protoman and X.
This brings up a dumb thought I had once

What if the data was for future mii costumes of Roy and Ryu?

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
The only third parties I think that would make sense left are...

- Bomberman
- Rayman
- Snake to return
- Crash Bandicoot (yeah yeah go ahead and say it. He's still a popular character from the 90's)

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
The only third parties I think that would make sense left are...

- Bomberman
- Rayman
- Snake to return
- Crash Bandicoot (yeah yeah go ahead and say it. He's still a popular character from the 90's)
Ha! You think Activision would let someone use their IP

Ha, your funny :3

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Then all of the existing Mii Fighter costumes would've been in the exact same location. You know, the ones that came out in the EXACT SAME PATCH.

Plus, these are victory themes. I think all Mii's have the same victory theme.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Then all of the existing Mii Fighter costumes would've been in the exact same location. You know, the ones that came out in the EXACT SAME PATCH.

Plus, these are victory themes. I think all Mii's have the same victory theme.
Hey, I didn't call it a smart thought :#

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice

The reaction of the Roy fanbase after waiting seven years for his return:

Can't say too many people would care about Ryu being a costume. The guy wasn't even in the top 35 in the massive Reddit Smash Ballot poll so unless he has a massive Smash following in Japan I don't know about, I think people would just roll with it.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Well the whole 5 more characters thing that the same guy found

I think its accually 7 more characters

Mewtwo
Lucas
Roy
Ryu
Wolf
1st, 2nd, 3rd place in the smash ballot.

4 veterans 4 newcomers

(Im assuming all of the winners are going to be newcomers)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Well the whole 5 more characters thing that the same guy found

I think its accually 7 more characters

Mewtwo
Lucas
Roy
Ryu
Wolf
1st, 2nd, 3rd place in the smash ballot.

4 veterans 4 newcomers

(Im assuming all of the winners are going to be newcomers)
I don't think it's going to go by popularity alone. Knowing Sakurai, he's probably just going to choose who he likes best, though they probably will be out of the top fifteen. The whole datamining thing suggests that at least 6 characters were initially planned for DLC before the Smash Ballot was even launched so I do think 8-9 when everything is said and done is still plausible at this point.

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Now if Crash and Spyro both joined Smash together...my god I don't think I would be able to handle all the excitement
That would be so cool! :grin: The only problem is that Crash has worse chances than Spyro. But still, one can dream.

A childhood dream I know will sadly never come true. I thought the same of Bk till recently.
There is a possibility though. It's small, yes, but still possible. :)

Ha! You think Activision would let someone use their IP

Ha, your funny :3
Activision <3 money
Letting Nintendo use their IP = more money
Activision = happy
This probably isn't how it would turn out, but hey, it's not impossible.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
@ AEMehr AEMehr Sorry, but a bit late and a dollar short. BTW, the both inputs things already exists plenty of times (as does a special telling the difference between a tilt and a smash)
Uh, what? I was referring to the added ability of pressing both the A and B button to do a Smash attack, which was added for seemingly no reason.
though as I've never played a Street Fighter you're going to have to be specific than just "better."
When Ryu flashes yellow, he uses an EX variation of that special move. The move is given added power with slightly different properties, but in order to use it he needs to sacrifice a portion of his Super Meter. To use it you can probably do SMASH! variations of each special (or double tap for neutral special).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Well 6 then, why is everyone saying 2 slots then?
It's because we have 6 DLC characters essentially confirmed.
Mewtwo, Lucas, Ryu, Roy, and the two remaining slots.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
See, at least you see positive things coming from this.

As for a large portion of the fanbase, I simply do not know what to tell you guys. I really don't think you understand the amazing thing that can happen here.

Smash stopped being ONLY ABOUT NINTENDO since Brawl. Sonic is not a Nintendo character. He is a SEGA character. As much as he seems to be an "honorary Nintendo character" he isn't. He's from SEGA.

Mega Man is not a Nintendo character. He is a Capcom character that appeared on Nintendo consoles. Same thing as Sonic.

There was nothing wrong with these two getting in. I will be the first to admit that Snake was a strange and surprising addition. No, he wasn't one of the characters that would have been at the top of the list. But you know what? He's as much a part of Smash Bros. as any veteran. If you want him to stay out, great. You're just as bad as the people who want another character out and don't care that it disappoints his fans. Fine. Whatever.

There were literally people complaining about Pac-Man. The grand daddy of video games. "Pac-Man is boring!" " Pac-Man doesn't deserve it!" "Pac-Man sucks!". You could not possibly understand how upsetting it is for people to trash a gaming...no, historical character, yet praise gaming character #539018 as if they're the best thing since sliced bread. Excuse me, but it sounds rather entitled when I see somebody saying, "Ugh. Ryu? Man, this guy is so boring!" You know who I thought was a boring idea before getting revealed? Duck Hunt. Robin. Lucina. But now that I've played them, I love them! I never want them cut.

Smash IS NOT...I REPEAT IS NOT JUST ABOUT NINTENDO ANYMORE. The minute Snake was added, it became more than that.

Remember when people wanted Sonic because the idea of Mario vs. Sonic was a once in a lifetime thing that had never happened before? Yeah, me too. It was awesome.

Remember when people were excited for Mario vs. Sonic vs. Mega Man? Yeah, me too. It's awesome. Remember when Pac-Man was assumed to be in, and the concept of 4 of the greatest characters in gaming became a reality? Yeah me too. It's a great thing. 3 of the biggest non-Nintendo stars in gaming are in the same game. It's unheard of. It's never happened before.

But now, the minute Sakurai thinks it would be cool to add another video gaming icon, it turns into "HE'S NOT NINTENDO ENOUGH". Hey, spoiler alert. They don't have to be Nintendo. They only have to have...ONE GAME. ONE GAME IS ALL IT TAKES. YOUR FAN STANDARDS DO NOT MATTER. SORRY TO BURST YOUR BUBBLE. IT. DOES. NOT. MATTER.

I tried to make a very informational post yesterday and the time since this leaked. But people ignore it and continue to trash characters that, frankly, deserve more respect than that. I've loved Nintendo since I was a kid. I played Smash since I was a small child. I was freaking prescribed video games to improve my hand-eye coordination, and I grew up strictly on Nintendo consoles. Then, I expanded my horizons. I played other series. I played games that aren't Nintendo. There are plenty of characters out there that have the clout to go toe to toe with Mario. Not just the minor ones who are only on Nintendo consoles.

This is already a massive post, but I'm not done. Too many people on here use points that can absolutely not be used as facts against a character being a good choice. Not only that, but what does Ryu do to Smash other than expand the universes and games involved? You don't have to play as Ryu. He's not competing with your precious #1 pick. Odds are, 6 choices were pretty much decided on. The ballot doesn't even close until OCTOBER. Why would they pick somebody from it already when it hasn't even been in effect for more than roughly a month?

I am a proud Smash fan. No other game gets me nearly as hyped. But some of the responses here make me sad. Smash fans put themselves in a Nintendo-centric world where nothing else matters. But in reality, that's not the case. Nintendo has poor 3rd party support, and Mr. Iwata has already said he considers the Wii U as a secondary console to Microsoft and Sony...they are not direct competitors. This is why getting for example, Solid Snake (who meets all requirements to be in Super Smash Bros.) isn't nearly as big of a deal as some make it out to be.

Listen, nobody has to have read this. You can think I'm a quack. I don't really care. But I'm very disappointed in the reactions people are having toward a gaming icon being in Smash Bros. Sakurai himself is a gamer. He doesn't constrict himself to only Nintendo games...so why should he be forced to restrict the guest characters he brings in? Sakurai loves his career, and he loves the industry he works in.

Frankly, I think we all should.

(Hey, thanks for reading. This is mainly venting that I've held in because I see this too often.)

Another superb post. Its pretty much how i feel exactly and possibly how i would put it if i could lay it all out in as eloquent a manner as that. If the fanbase could understand and broaden their perception i would be so happy.

D

Deleted member

All ATs in the series
Andross
Ashley
Chain Chomp
Color TV-Game 15
Dark Samus
Devil
Dillon
Dr. Kawashima
Dr. Wright
Elec Man
Ghirahim
Ghosts
Hammer Bro.
Infantry and Tanks
Isabelle
Jeff
Kat & Ana
Knuckle Joe
Lakitu and Spinies
Lyn
Magnus
Metroid
Midna
Mother Brain
Nightmare
Nintendog
Phosphora
Riki
Sablé Prince
Saki Amamiya
Samurai Goroh
Shadow the Hedgehog
Sheriff
Skull Kid
Starfy
Starman
Takamaru
Tingle
Waluigi
Ray MKII
Mr Resetti
Jill
Isaac
Helirin
Grey Fox
Excitebike
Barbara
Who would you guys like to see pull a Little Mac? I'd like Dark Samus, Dillon, Ghirahim, Lyn, Saki Amamiya, Takamaru, Starfy, Ray MKII and Isaac pull Little Macs personally.
The only one that I would like to see at this point is Ray from Custom Robo. Sadly he will probably never get in. Maybe Starfy or Saki as well. Isaac would be cool thought and he has a really good fan base to boot so I hope he gets in for the sake of his fans.
I wonder how Geno fans would have reacted to sora :p
Please no. Snake, Bomberman, Simon Belmont, Layon, Slime/Slime & Chocobo, and Ryu are all much better choices for third-parties before we get to him.
Why are we confident K.Rool has a very good chance? Even with the ballot, you should lower your expectations before you forget what happened last time.

I'd say that goes for all characters that aren't Wolf, Roy and Ryu.
I agree with the sentiment that we tend on overrate characters in general (which is why I can't justify giving anyone above 60%, except maybe Inklings although I couldn't care less about them) which is something I've learned from last time I was here. Still, had it not been for the Smash Ballot I wouldn't even be here. After the initial roster got revealed given up hope that anymore newcomers I wanted would get in as DLC but at the same time I was mostly satisfied with the roster so it wasn't worth my time to stick around. But now that the Smash Ballot is a thing, I actually have hope for King K. Rool, who's the last newcomer I want that I feel has a realistic shot of getting in. The other two I want, Bomberman and Ray, are pipe dreams (although I am excited for Lucas and Roy's return). I do however expect one character to be added partially as a result of fan demand (outside of pre-planned characters).
Ryu is literally nothing like Mario aside from uppercut and fireball.

If you think two moves make a character a clone, I can only assume you believe Lucario and Mewtwo are clones as well as Fox and Wolf.
This. I never made much of a comparison between Ryu and Mario and I haven't exactly played a lot of Street Fighter myself. Comparing these two is like comparing an apple to an orange. Even then, the uppercut and the Hadoken I feel will function differently.

Ryu's inclusion has me interested mainly because of what I feel the consequences of his inclusion will have on the Super Smash Bros. series (and I'm not just talking about how it may mean we get more DLC characters than we expected). My hope is that it will lead to the likes of Snake, Bomberman, and Slime getting included.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118

Not necessarily. The reason of Ryu's inclusion will determine the leverage other Third Party characters have when getting in. If Capcom struck a specific deal with Nintendo about an exclusive game, then other companies are more likely to do the same.
In the same post you are simultaneously arguing that there are restrictions on 3rd party characters, and also trying to argue that you are worried about some floodgates being opened. What point do you actually want to make? Between the massive "Ryu isn't iconic like Mario/Pac-Man" going on about 15 pages back, and now your assumption that there is some ulterior motive behind Ryu's addition, it just feels like you're looking for any reason for his inclusion that sits nicely with your personal beliefs about the character.

Honestly, I doubt Capcom is developing a Nintendo vs Capcom or something right now. They're in the middle of developing Street Fighter V, slated for release in early 2016, and it's more likely that the benefit (apart from obvious royalties) to them is the immense amount of promotion this new game will get by association. For Nintendo, the benefit is adding another gaming icon to the Smash roster, DLC sales, and potentially a boon to hardware sales as Ryu is a character who could drive hardware sales from interested fighting game fans who don't have much to do on Nintendo systems right now.

RoysOurBoy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0662-5238-5359
Here is what I think about third party characters. I think that only iconic and important characters to gaming should be included. Mascots for major gaming companies is pretty much where I draw the line. For example, Namco is a MAJOR gaming company. Pac-Man is their UNDISPUTED mascot. Pac-Man is in Smash. The same can be said with SEGA, Capcom, and Konami with Sonic, Megaman, Ryu, and Snake. Platinum Games is NOT what I would consider a MAJOR gaming company, at least not at par with SEGA, Namco, Capcom, or Konami. Bayonetta, MAY be Platinum Games' mascot, but Platinum Games and Bayonetta don't really merit the same kind of legacy as the other companies.

At this point, the way I see it, Banjo & Kazooie is the only third party character other than Ryu and Snake that has a strong enough case and legacy to be included. Rare's size might be in question, but Nintendo's past partnership and Microsoft's current ownership of the company does provide it with some legacy. I think all of us would consider Microsoft a MAJOR gaming company. With that being said, I think it's Banjo or bust.

Pac-Man, Sonic, Megaman, Ryu, Snake, Banjo-Kazooie. To me, that its a Mount Rushmore of iconic third party characters. And until all of them are implemented in the game, I can't see Bayonetta's or Shovel Knight's being possible in the game. They are just to MINOR of characters to be considered...

HOWEVER, where minor characters need to be considered is with Nintendo's primary franchises. Well, maybe not minor, but not mascots. King K. Rool, Isaac, Dixie Kong, Inklings, FREAKING WOLF AND ICE CLIMBERS. These are characters OWNED BY NINTENDO that deserve to be in the game and ARGUABLY are more recognizable to NINTENDO FANS then Bayonetta, Shovel Knight, Quote, etc. Before we worry about "how iconic third party characters are over each other" we need to think about if they are even more iconic and important than NINTENDO characters who are absent. Let me tell you, I didn't even know who Quote or Shantae were until the ballot was released. Just saying.

I also thought making a Tier List for DLC would be fun and funny and I've had this on my mind for a while, please let me know if I am forgetting anybody.

S "The Confirmed"
Mewtwo
Lucas

A+ "The Rumored"
Ryu
Roy

A "The Assumed"
Wolf

A- "The Most Likely Nintendo Reps"
King K. Rool
Isaac
Inklings

B+ "Most Likely Third Party"
Snake
Banjo-Kazooie

B "Secondary Nintendo Reps"
Dixie Kong
Paper Mario
Impa

B- "Thirdary?"
Rhythm Heaven Rep
Wonder Red
Captain Toad
Chibi Robo
Toon Zelda
Ray MK
Daisy I guess

C+ "The Most Wanted Third Parties Who Probably Shouldn't Be In But Could Because of Popularity"
Rayman
Bayonetta
Shovel Knight
Simon Belmont
Shantae

C "The Rejects"
Ice Climbers/Popo
Ivysaur
Squirtle
Pichu
Young Link lol?

C- "Cool But Not Likely"
Professor Layton
Geno
Viewtiful Joe
Blaziken
Monster Hunter
Lloyd Irving
Lyn

C--- "The Only People Who Want These Characters Only Want This Character And Are Kinda of A Cult"
Bandanna Dee
Krystal

D+ "The Already In-Game"
Waluigi
Ridley
Skull Kid
Chrom
Midna
Ghirahim
Zoroark

D "Made Me Laugh"
Abraham Lincoln (Fully Aware is Codename STEAM character, still funny"
Lanky Kong
Reggie
Groose

D- "Very Unlikely Third Party"
Knuckles
Pheonix Wright
Sora
Zero
Tails
Crash Bandicoot
Shadow

F "Over 9000 Layers of Onion"
Goku
Shrek

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
In reading discussion threads, it seems as though people are looking at the ballot with multiple forms of tunnel vision. People either seem to think it's a cut-and-dry popularity poll where the winner gets fast-tracked into the game or a suggestion box that puts every character on equal footing, where random characters are going to get thrown in out of nowhere just because. As with many things, it's a middle-ground between the two.

It's not a popularity poll in the sense that, if the winner is a troll suggestion or someone flat-out not feasible, like Banjo or (in Sakurai's mind) Ridley, it won't get added. At the same time, they're clearly monitoring which characters are getting votes, like they've done with each Smash ballot/poll/box to date. Especially now, where DLC sales hinge on individual character demand, it's what has to be done to choose which characters to develop with limited resources. Try telling a business like Nintendo that "all characters will sell the same so don't worry, throw in someone random." What with so many popular choices inevitably getting thrown out anyway, they're not going to nitpick the ones left standing just because they may have had ideas years ago for someone in the 50s range.

Last edited:

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Here is what I think about third party characters. I think that only iconic and important characters to gaming should be included. Mascots for major gaming companies is pretty much where I draw the line. For example, Namco is a MAJOR gaming company. Pac-Man is their UNDISPUTED mascot. Pac-Man is in Smash. The same can be said with SEGA, Capcom, and Konami with Sonic, Megaman, Ryu, and Snake. Platinum Games is NOT what I would consider a MAJOR gaming company, at least not at par with SEGA, Namco, Capcom, or Konami. Bayonetta, MAY be Platinum Games' mascot, but Platinum Games and Bayonetta don't really merit the same kind of legacy as the other companies.
You made no mention of Spyro whatsoever.
Anyways, he was considered a Sony mascot at one point. So was Crash Bandicoot, though Spyro is still alive today, albeit not as a mascot anymore ("cash cow" is the more appropriate term :p).

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Just did one of those Hunger Games Simulator runs with the top 24 characters in the Reddit poll and I'm dying laughing. I went ahead and saved it because I'm strongly tempted to post it here.
Do et!

D

Deleted member

Am I the only one here that thinks that we could see Ice Climber and Chorus Men in Smash Bros. NX (aka SSB 3DS & Wii U+)?

Last edited by a moderator:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
This is made from the top 24 characters in the Reddit Smash Ballot Poll. The website to do your own run can be found here:

http://brantsteele.net/hungergames/reaping.php

Also, I might actually pay someone to draw some of these scenes because the mental pictures I get from them are simply too much.

The Teams:

District 1: Banjo and Kazooie- Waluigi
District 2: Isaac- Ridley
District 3: King K. Rool- Krystal
District 4: Shovel Knight-Shantae
District 5: Solid Snake- Rayman
District 6: Bayonetta- Wonder Red
District 7: Paper Mario - Simon Belmont
District 8: Wolf- Phoenix Wright
District 9: Inkling- Reckless Wii Remote Man
District 10: Ice Climbers- Professor Layton
District 11: Roy- Bomberman
District 12 Geno- Monster Hunter

The Reaping
As the tributes stand on their podiums, the horn sounds.

Paper Mario runs away from the Cornucopia.
King K. Rool runs away from the Cornucopia.
Ice Climbers runs away from the Cornucopia.
Wolf runs away from the Cornucopia.
Wonder Red runs away from the Cornucopia.
Shantae retrieves a trident from inside the cornucopia.
Simon Belmont runs into the cornucopia and hides.
Rayman grabs a backpack and retreats.
Waluigi shoots an arrow into Ridley 's head.
Bomberman and Inkling fight Shovel Knight and Professor Layton . Shovel Knight and Professor Layton survive.

Banjo and Kazooie runs away from the Cornucopia.
Geno grabs a backpack, not realizing it is empty.
Krystal runs away from the Cornucopia.
Phoenix Wright snatches a bottle of alcohol and a rag.
Isaac runs away with a lighter and some rope.
Roy runs away from the Cornucopia.
Bayonetta, Solid Snake , and Monster Hunter work together to get as many supplies as possible.
Reckless Wii Remote Man gathers as much food as he can.

Day One:

King K. Rool tries to spear fish with a trident.
Wolf sprains his ankle while running away from Ice Climbers .
Shovel Knight receives medical supplies from an unknown sponsor.
Phoenix Wright camouflauges himself in the bushes.
Waluigi receives a hatchet from an unknown sponsor.
Geno attacks Wonder Red , but he manages to escape.
Isaac explores the arena.
Krystal stalks Paper Mario .
Rayman makes a slingshot.
Monster Hunter discovers a cave.
Solid Snake thinks about home.
Professor Layton steals from Reckless Wii Remote Man while he isn't looking.
Simon Belmont fishes.
Banjo and Kazooie , Bayonetta, and Roy hunt for other tributes.
Shantae receives a hatchet from an unknown sponsor.

Day One Fallen Tributes:

Ridley-District 2, Bomberman-District 11, Inkling-District 9

Night One:

Monster Hunter and Bayonetta tell stories about themselves to each other.
Shantae cooks her food before putting her fire out.
Wolf sets an explosive off, killing Shovel Knight .
Paper Mario quietly hums.
Wonder Red silently snaps Waluigi 's neck.
Professor Layton destroys King K. Rool 's supplies while he is asleep.
Solid Snake accidently steps on a landmine.
Phoenix Wright cries himself to sleep.
Krystal convinces Ice Climbers to snuggle with her.
Geno receives clean water from an unknown sponsor.
Banjo and Kazooie receives clean water from an unknown sponsor.
Roy tends to his wounds.
Reckless Wii Remote Man unknowingly eats toxic berries.
Rayman thinks about winning.
Isaac shoots an arrow into Simon Belmont 's head.

Day Two:

Isaac receives an explosive from an unknown sponsor.
King K. Rool and Wolf split up to search for resources.
Ice Climbers injures himself.
Banjo and Kazooie , Monster Hunter , Bayonetta, and Shantae hunt for other tributes.
Geno camouflauges himself in the bushes.
Krystal and Wonder Red work together for the day.
Phoenix Wright diverts Rayman 's attention and runs away.
Professor Layton searches for firewood.
Roy thinks about home.
Paper Mario injures himself.

Day Two Fallen Tributes:

Shovel Knight-District 4, Waluigi-District 1, Solid Snake-District 5, Reckless Wii Remote Man-District 9, Simon Belmont-District 7

Night Two:

Wolf convinces Banjo and Kazooie to snuggle with him.
Wonder Red convinces King K. Rool to snuggle with him.
Shantae and Geno tell stories about themselves to each other.
Ice Climbers , Isaac , Rayman , and Paper Mario sleep in shifts.
Monster Hunter , Professor Layton , Krystal , and Phoenix Wright tell each other ghost stories to lighten the mood.
Roy spears Bayonetta in the abdomen.

Day Three:

Ice Climbers picks flowers.
Banjo and Kazooie runs away from Phoenix Wright .
Rayman and King K. Rool hunt for other tributes.
Monster Hunter and Geno work together for the day.
Isaac tries to spear fish with a trident.
Paper Mario collects fruit from a tree.
Roy and Wonder Red hunt for other tributes.
Shantae diverts Krystal 's attention and runs away.
Professor Layton picks flowers.
Wolf is pricked by thorns while picking berries.

Event One: Monkey Mutts (AKA TOP TIER DIDDYS)
Monkey mutts fill the arena.

King K. Rool uses Paper Mario as a shield from the monkey mutts.
Ice Climbers survives.
Shantae is pummeled to the ground and killed by a troop of monkey mutts.
Isaac survives.
Phoenix Wright survives.
Banjo and Kazooie survives.
Krystal uses Rayman as a shield from the monkey mutts.
Geno uses Roy as a shield from the monkey mutts.
Wolf injures Professor Layton and leaves him for the monkey mutts.

Monster Hunter survives.
Wonder Red dies from internal bleeding caused by a monkey mutt

Day Three Fallen Tributes:

Bayonetta-District 6, Paper Mario-District 7, Shantae-District 4, Rayman-District 5, Roy-District 11, Professor Layton-District 10, Wonder Red-District 6

Night Three:

Krystal destroys Monster Hunter 's supplies while she is asleep.
King K. Rool stays awake all night.
Phoenix Wright sees a fire, but stays hidden.
Wolf strangles Isaac with a rope.
Geno is awoken by nightmares.
Banjo and Kazooie receives fresh food from an unknown sponsor.
Ice Climbers stays awake all night.

The Feast (AKA a Custom Moves Enabled Tournament):
The cornucopia is replenished with food, supplies, weapons, and memoirs from the tributes' families.

Ice Climbers decides not to go to The Feast.
Krystal decides not to go to The Feast.
Geno decides not to go to The Feast.
Phoenix Wright decides not to go to The Feast.
Monster Hunter throws a knife into Banjo and Kazooie 's chest.
Wolf decides not to go to The Feast.
King K. Rool falls into a frozen lake and drowns.

Day Four:

Geno stalks Wolf .
Monster Hunter travels to higher ground.
Krystal searches for firewood.
Phoenix Wright sees smoke rising in the distance, but decides not to investigate

Day Four Fallen Tributes:

Isaac- District 2, Banjo and Kazooie-District 1, King K. Rool-District 3

Night Four:

Wolf shoots an arrow at Geno , but misses and kills Ice Climbers instead.
Phoenix Wright sets an explosive off, killing Monster Hunter .

Krystal sees a fire, but stays hidden.

Day Five:

Phoenix Wright scares Wolf off.
Krystal tries to spear fish with a trident.
Geno dies trying to escape the arena.

Day Five Fallen Tributes:

Ice Climbers-District 10, Monster Hunter-District 12, Geno-District 12

Night Five:

Krystal receives fresh food from an unknown sponsor.
Wolf and Phoenix Wright run into each other and decide to truce for the night.

Day Six:

Wolf fishes.
Krystal constructs a shack.
Phoenix Wright searches for a water source.

Night Six:

Krystal , Phoenix Wright , and Wolf cheerfully sing songs together.

Day Seven:

Wolf tries to sleep through the entire day.
Phoenix Wright stalks Krystal .

Night Seven:

Wolf destroys Krystal 's supplies while she is asleep.
Phoenix Wright accidently steps on a landmine.

Day Eight:

Krystal strangles Wolf after engaging in a fist fight.

Day Eight Fallen Tributes:

Phoenix Wright-District 8, Wolf-District 8

This game's winner is... Krystal!

Final Results Tribute Placements

1. Krystal 2. Wolf 3. Phoenix Wright 4. Geno 5. Monster Hunter 6. Ice Climbers 7. King K. Rool 8. Banjo and Kazooie 9. Isaac 10. Wonder Red 11. Professor Layton 12. Roy 13. Rayman 14. Shantae 15. Paper Mario 16. Bayonetta 17. Simon Belmont 18. Reckless Wii Remote Man 19. Solid Snake 20. Waluigi 21. Shovel Knight 22. Inkling 23. Bomberman 24. Ridley

District Placements

1. District 3 2. District 8 3. District 12 4. District 10 5. District 1 6. District 2 7. District 6 8. District 11 9. District 5 10. District 4 11. District 7 12. District 9

Kills Made

4: Wolf 2: Shovel Knight 2: Krystal 2: Professor Layton 1: King K. Rool 1: Waluigi 1: Isaac 1: Phoenix Wright 1: Wonder Red 1: Roy 1: Geno 1: Monster Hunter

Last edited:

XStarWarriorX

[Get Ready]
This is made from the top 24 characters in the Reddit Smash Ballot Poll. The website to do your own run can be found here:

http://brantsteele.net/hungergames/reaping.php

Also, I might actually pay someone to draw some of these scenes because the mental pictures I get from them are simply too much.

The Teams:

District 1: Banjo and Kazooie- Waluigi
District 2: Isaac- Ridley
District 3: King K. Rool- Krystal
District 4: Shovel Knight-Shantae
District 5: Solid Snake- Rayman
District 6: Bayonetta- Wonder Red
District 7: Paper Mario - Simon Belmont
District 8: Wolf- Phoenix Wright
District 9: Inkling- Reckless Wii Remote Man
District 10: Ice Climbers- Professor Layton
District 11: Roy- Bomberman
District 12 Geno- Monster Hunter

The Reaping
As the tributes stand on their podiums, the horn sounds.

Paper Mario runs away from the Cornucopia.
King K. Rool runs away from the Cornucopia.
Ice Climbers runs away from the Cornucopia.
Wolf runs away from the Cornucopia.
Wonder Red runs away from the Cornucopia.
Shantae retrieves a trident from inside the cornucopia.
Simon Belmont runs into the cornucopia and hides.
Rayman grabs a backpack and retreats.
Waluigi shoots an arrow into Ridley 's head.
Bomberman and Inkling fight Shovel Knight and Professor Layton . Shovel Knight and Professor Layton survive.

Banjo and Kazooie runs away from the Cornucopia.
Geno grabs a backpack, not realizing it is empty.
Krystal runs away from the Cornucopia.
Phoenix Wright snatches a bottle of alcohol and a rag.
Isaac runs away with a lighter and some rope.
Roy runs away from the Cornucopia.
Bayonetta, Solid Snake , and Monster Hunter work together to get as many supplies as possible.
Reckless Wii Remote Man gathers as much food as he can.

Day One:

King K. Rool tries to spear fish with a trident.
Wolf sprains his ankle while running away from Ice Climbers .
Shovel Knight receives medical supplies from an unknown sponsor.
Phoenix Wright camouflauges himself in the bushes.
Waluigi receives a hatchet from an unknown sponsor.
Geno attacks Wonder Red , but he manages to escape.
Isaac explores the arena.
Krystal stalks Paper Mario .
Rayman makes a slingshot.
Monster Hunter discovers a cave.
Solid Snake thinks about home.
Professor Layton steals from Reckless Wii Remote Man while he isn't looking.
Simon Belmont fishes.
Banjo and Kazooie , Bayonetta, and Roy hunt for other tributes.
Shantae receives a hatchet from an unknown sponsor.

Day One Fallen Tributes:

Ridley-District 2, Bomberman-District 11, Inkling-District 9

Night One:

Monster Hunter and Bayonetta tell stories about themselves to each other.
Shantae cooks her food before putting her fire out.
Wolf sets an explosive off, killing Shovel Knight .
Paper Mario quietly hums.
Wonder Red silently snaps Waluigi 's neck.
Professor Layton destroys King K. Rool 's supplies while he is asleep.
Solid Snake accidently steps on a landmine.
Phoenix Wright cries himself to sleep.
Krystal convinces Ice Climbers to snuggle with her.
Geno receives clean water from an unknown sponsor.
Banjo and Kazooie receives clean water from an unknown sponsor.
Roy tends to his wounds.
Reckless Wii Remote Man unknowingly eats toxic berries.
Rayman thinks about winning.
Isaac shoots an arrow into Simon Belmont 's head.

Day Two:

Isaac receives an explosive from an unknown sponsor.
King K. Rool and Wolf split up to search for resources.
Ice Climbers injures himself.
Banjo and Kazooie , Monster Hunter , Bayonetta, and Shantae hunt for other tributes.
Geno camouflauges himself in the bushes.
Krystal and Wonder Red work together for the day.
Phoenix Wright diverts Rayman 's attention and runs away.
Professor Layton searches for firewood.
Roy thinks about home.
Paper Mario injures himself.

Day Two Fallen Tributes:

Shovel Knight-District 4, Waluigi-District 1, Solid Snake-District 5, Reckless Wii Remote Man-District 9, Simon Belmont-District 7

Night Two:

Wolf convinces Banjo and Kazooie to snuggle with him.
Wonder Red convinces King K. Rool to snuggle with him.
Shantae and Geno tell stories about themselves to each other.
Ice Climbers , Isaac , Rayman , and Paper Mario sleep in shifts.
Monster Hunter , Professor Layton , Krystal , and Phoenix Wright tell each other ghost stories to lighten the mood.
Roy spears Bayonetta in the abdomen.

Day Three:

Banjo and Kazooie runs away from Phoenix Wright .
Rayman and King K. Rool hunt for other tributes.
Monster Hunter and Geno work together for the day.
Isaac tries to spear fish with a trident.
Paper Mario collects fruit from a tree.
Roy and Wonder Red hunt for other tributes.
Shantae diverts Krystal 's attention and runs away.
Professor Layton picks flowers.
Wolf is pricked by thorns while picking berries.

Event One: Monkey Mutts (AKA TOP TIER DIDDYS)
Monkey mutts fill the arena.

King K. Rool uses Paper Mario as a shield from the monkey mutts.
Ice Climbers survives.
Shantae is pummeled to the ground and killed by a troop of monkey mutts.
Isaac survives.
Phoenix Wright survives.
Banjo and Kazooie survives.
Krystal uses Rayman as a shield from the monkey mutts.
Geno uses Roy as a shield from the monkey mutts.
Wolf injures Professor Layton and leaves him for the monkey mutts.

Monster Hunter survives.
Wonder Red dies from internal bleeding caused by a monkey mutt

Day Three Fallen Tributes:

Bayonetta-District 6, Paper Mario-District 7, Shantae-District 4, Rayman-District 5, Roy-District 11, Professor Layton-District 10, Wonder Red-District 6

Night Three:

Krystal destroys Monster Hunter 's supplies while she is asleep.
King K. Rool stays awake all night.
Phoenix Wright sees a fire, but stays hidden.
Wolf strangles Isaac with a rope.
Geno is awoken by nightmares.
Banjo and Kazooie receives fresh food from an unknown sponsor.
Ice Climbers stays awake all night.

The Feast (AKA a Custom Moves Enabled Tournament):
The cornucopia is replenished with food, supplies, weapons, and memoirs from the tributes' families.

Ice Climbers decides not to go to The Feast.
Krystal decides not to go to The Feast.
Geno decides not to go to The Feast.
Phoenix Wright decides not to go to The Feast.
Monster Hunter throws a knife into Banjo and Kazooie 's chest.
Wolf decides not to go to The Feast.
King K. Rool falls into a frozen lake and drowns.

Day Four:

Geno stalks Wolf .
Monster Hunter travels to higher ground.
Krystal searches for firewood.
Phoenix Wright sees smoke rising in the distance, but decides not to investigate

Day Four Fallen Tributes:

Isaac- District 2, Banjo and Kazooie-District 1, King K. Rool-District 3

Night Four:

Wolf shoots an arrow at Geno , but misses and kills Ice Climbers instead.
Phoenix Wright sets an explosive off, killing Monster Hunter .

Krystal sees a fire, but stays hidden.

Day Five:

Phoenix Wright scares Wolf off.
Krystal tries to spear fish with a trident.
Geno dies trying to escape the arena.

Day Five Fallen Tributes:

Ice Climbers-District 10, Monster Hunter-District 12, Geno-District 12

Night Five:

Krystal receives fresh food from an unknown sponsor.
Wolf and Phoenix Wright run into each other and decide to truce for the night.

Day Six:

Wolf fishes.
Krystal constructs a shack.
Phoenix Wright searches for a water source.

Night Six:

Krystal , Phoenix Wright , and Wolf cheerfully sing songs together.

Day Seven:

Wolf tries to sleep through the entire day.
Phoenix Wright stalks Krystal .

Night Seven:

Wolf destroys Krystal 's supplies while she is asleep.
Phoenix Wright accidently steps on a landmine.

Day Eight:

Krystal strangles Wolf after engaging in a fist fight.

Day Eight Fallen Tributes:

Phoenix Wright-District 8, Wolf-District 8

This game's winner is... Krystal!

Final Results Tribute Placements

1. Krystal 2. Wolf 3. Phoenix Wright 4. Geno 5. Monster Hunter 6. Ice Climbers 7. King K. Rool 8. Banjo and Kazooie 9. Isaac 10. Wonder Red 11. Professor Layton 12. Roy 13. Rayman 14. Shantae 15. Paper Mario 16. Bayonetta 17. Simon Belmont 18. Reckless Wii Remote Man 19. Solid Snake 20. Waluigi 21. Shovel Knight 22. Inkling 23. Bomberman 24. Ridley

District Placements

1. District 3 2. District 8 3. District 12 4. District 10 5. District 1 6. District 2 7. District 6 8. District 11 9. District 5 10. District 4 11. District 7 12. District 9

Kills Made

4: Wolf 2: Shovel Knight 2: Krystal 2: Professor Layton 1: King K. Rool 1: Waluigi 1: Isaac 1: Phoenix Wright 1: Wonder Red 1: Roy 1: Geno 1: Monster Hunter
Krystal and wolf e3 smash dlc reveal confirmed.

Laughed so hard my neighbor went SHUT UP!
Thank you for embarrassing me at 12am D:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom