• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Gematsu amplified the hype by making everyone thing Chrom was playable. Granted, everyone thought it'd be Chrom even BEFORE the leak, but the leak amplified it tenfold, especially after coming off of E3 with Mii, Palutena, and Pac-Man revealed to all support the leak.
I don't agree with that. Like I said, Sakurai was the one who amplified the hype. If it was just Gematsu we would be dreadfully disappointed.

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
Both leaks more or less killed my hype (though Bowser Jr. softened the blow of the second one). Though I consider that a good thing, as it got the disappointment over with before the game came out.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I didn't pay much attention to Gematsu when it was the thing during speculation times. But that day Lucina and Robin were revealed was instant hype. The ESRB leak did kill the hype, but luckily the Bowser Jr./Koopaling and the Duck Hunt Duo trailers restored my hype. That and Mewtwo's return was very hypeworthy too.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
To be fair, the hype increased for me as it became apparent Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr with Koopalings alts were going to be real fighters.

Those two alone made me explode with hype just knowing they were real and we weren't getting the blander retro choice everyone wanted this time last year and a crappy paintbrush mixed mini clone of Bowser.

Although Dr. Mario's glorious return dampened my high somewhat.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
smashbros donkeykong starfox kirby fzero metroid mother pokemon zelda mario yoshi
fireemblem gamewatch
pikmin wario palutena famicomrobot sonic plankton touch doubutsu
wiifit xenoblade punchout duckhunt rhythm rockman
nintendogs miiplaza pacman tomodachi wreckingcrew
wuhuisland miiverse lightplane braintraining
balloonfight diary etc
So
Taking my best bets
R.O.B. = I'm not sure if this was just put for consistency or we were actually gonna have a R.O.B. Stage for once.
Plankton = RIP Electroplankton
Doubutsu = I don't know what that means so whoops
Rhythm = I want the Interview thing as a stage. MORE PARODIES.
Mii Plaza = Maybe there was a Streetpass Mii Plaza stage for 3DS at one point?
Miiverse = Mii Plaza + Find Mii + Wuhu Island + Light Plane + Miiverse = WHY ARE THERE SO MUCH MII STUFF
Brain Training = Mwap. Mwap-Mwap. Mwap-Mwap-Mwi-Mwaaaap. That song.
Diary = Swapnote or (A bit of a stretch) Harvest Moon, perhaps? All the data in HM is stored in a Diary, after all. Or at least, in the GBA version as far as I remember. Plus Harvest Moon is cool.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
In terms of Gematsu, it wasn't really the leak itself that killed me, but more the hype built around it. Once people thought that it might have somewhat been true, it got to the point where everything was Gematsu. The leaks, the discussions, supporters whose characters were in the leak paraded it around like it was fact, and it got old really fast.

LasermasterA

Smash Champion
NNID
LasermasterA
3DS FC
1392-5385-9326
Yea Gematsu might have created hype for many characters, like Shulk whose already decent popularity skyrocketed but it also took away the hype of many characters. Like Robin who was never expected (but came in, yay!) and others who haven't made it in (yet). Gematsu was praised as Smash gospel that's for sure.

ESRB leak really drove in the nail though, what a bummer. Took away hype for all the unrevealed characters and also caused the community to become a mix of happy and annoyed with the roster. Till the obvious release of Smash 4 that is.

Now DLC is being hyped (somewhat), hopefully it remains positive.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
The actual leaking process was fun, but it killed any excitement for the game and led to a lot of unreasonable expectations from people (we were all sure Dixie and Ridley would still be in, after all.) A big reason I didn't believe the ESRB leak was because I didn't think that the stat changing Shulk was a good way to represent the game play of Xenoblade. I still stand by that actually, even if it works okay within the context of Smash 4.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The actual leaking process was fun, but it killed any excitement for the game and led to a lot of unreasonable expectations from people (we were all sure Dixie and Ridley would still be in, after all.) A big reason I didn't believe the ESRB leak was because I didn't think that the stat changing Shulk was a good way to represent the game play of Xenoblade. I still stand by that actually, even if it works okay within the context of Smash 4.
The 4chan leak was separate from the ESRB and the Ninka_kiwi leak at the time, people should've realized that from the beginning. :U

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
The 4chan leak was separate from the ESRB and the Ninka_kiwi leak at the time, people should've realized that from the beginning. :U
Agreed, but we had a lot of people that were connected to the ESRB/Ninka leaks in some way or another saying that the roster shown in the ESRB video wasn't final (mostly due to the locked all star screen, but some people never made it clear that that was their only reason.) People put two and two together and the next thing you know they were banking on the 4chan leak being real.

I personally never bought it, but it was a bit of a mess and it left a lot of people super disappointed.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The problem is that what character would be used to represent them all?
I want Wrestler/Reporter, but that would be the worst fit.

I don't know what you-
WOW. I haven't seen this many users since the Miiverse thread!
I forgot to answer this from earlier, but I think the Chorus Kids fit the moveset the best.
Especially with Night Walk and Glee Club.
Wrestler and Karate Joe would be the summoned attacks similar to the Wild Gunman attack.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
So
Taking my best bets
R.O.B. = I'm not sure if this was just put for consistency or we were actually gonna have a R.O.B. Stage for once.
Plankton = RIP Electroplankton
Doubutsu = I don't know what that means so whoops
Rhythm = I want the Interview thing as a stage. MORE PARODIES.
Those are series icons, not stage icons. (You know, the Mushroom for Mario or the Triforce for Zelda.)

R.O.B. icon is used for R.O.B. and Robot series related content.

Doubutsu = Doubutsu no Mori = Animal Forest, which is the Japanese title of Animal Crossing
Plankton is likely Electroplankton. Perhaps, the stage from Brawl was meant to return.

Mii Plaza = Maybe there was a Streetpass Mii Plaza stage for 3DS at one point?
There is a StreetPass Quest/Find Mii stage on the 3DS version, so it could have been originally that.

Miiverse = Mii Plaza + Find Mii + Wuhu Island + Light Plane + Miiverse = WHY ARE THERE SO MUCH MII STUFF
Different IPs. lol

Miiverse will be used for the upcoming stage.

Brain Training = Mwap. Mwap-Mwap. Mwap-Mwap-Mwi-Mwaaaap. That song.
Diary = Swapnote or (A bit of a stretch) Harvest Moon, perhaps? All the data in HM is stored in a Diary, after all. Or at least, in the GBA version as far as I remember. Plus Harvest Moon is cool.
Diary is likely Swapnote. The Japanese title contains the Japanese word for "diary" (日記 nikki - Now you understand why she's called Nikki...) and all file names are based on series names.

Also, Harvest Moon isn't even a Nintendo franchise.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
You know, this is a completely random post with all of the Rhythm Heaven talk going on, but I was arguing with @DukeNapoleon a while back about Roy and how I would not accept him as a Lucina costume.

You know what I would accept him as though? A slightly Luigified Ike clone. I know that this is probably not a very popular opinion, but I was talking to some friends about it this weekend and I think it could work. Make him smaller and faster then Ike, give him his Melee sweet spot, and change Aether to a recovery that makes more sense to someone that is not Ike. Give him a few of Marth's attacks and his Melee neutral for added diversity if you really feel like it.

This would make him a rush down FE Lord that is between Marth and Ike in weight, power, and speed. He would have his Melee sweet spot and fire effects. That's all I would really need, and it would be more in line with what I want out of a Roy then a Lucina skin would be. He wouldn't even have to be the primary character in this hypothetical. You could have another Lord, or several Lords, on the same spot with a variety of skins (if this was the case I would want a set of custom moves to have the fire effects for when I used Roy.)

Once again, I am not sure if this would make many Roy fans happy. I would be all for it, though.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Although, there's something enchanting about the idea of Karate Joe.
I'm imagining a fighter using a slow, steady, never-ending series of punches and kicks at different heights.
In my head, Joe is the easiest character I can think of a rhythm-based moveset, simply due to his nature as a kung fu master.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Although, there's something enchanting about the idea of Karate Joe.
I'm imagining a fighter using a slow, steady, never-ending series of punches and kicks at different heights.
In my head, Joe is the easiest character I can think of a rhythm-based moveset, simply due to his nature as a kung fu master.
I like the idea of Marshal because I feel like he is the perfect character to pull random moves from. He could even summon other RH character or props from different mini games for all of his random moves, kind of like Game and Watch on a more massive scale.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
You know, this is a completely random post with all of the Rhythm Heaven talk going on, but I was arguing with @DukeNapoleon a while back about Roy and how I would not accept him as a Lucina costume.

You know what I would accept him as though? A slightly Luigified Ike clone. I know that this is probably not a very popular opinion, but I was talking to some friends about it this weekend and I think it could work. Make him smaller and faster then Ike, give him his Melee sweet spot, and change Aether to a recovery that makes more sense to someone that is not Ike. Give him a few of Marth's attacks and his Melee neutral for added diversity if you really feel like it.

This would make him a rush down FE Lord that is between Marth and Ike in weight, power, and speed. He would have his Melee sweet spot and fire effects. That's all I would really need, and it would be more in line with what I want out of a Roy then a Lucina skin would be. He wouldn't even have to be the primary character in this hypothetical. You could have another Lord, or several Lords, on the same spot with a variety of skins (if this was the case I would want a set of custom moves to have the fire effects for when I used Roy.)

Once again, I am not sure if this would make many Roy fans happy. I would be all for it, though.
I had a similar suggestion recently, except it was Chrom that was the main Lord, with Lucina and Roy appearing as alts.

Controversial, but yeah, I'd be okay with that.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I can't wrap my mind around Chorus Kids or Wrestler to be honest.
And I don't like the idea of Marshall as a character. Most of the ideas for his moveset are the same idea as Pac-Man: a bunch of references to his series that don't really have an overall theme.

Karate Joe just clicks with me.
Plus the juxtaposition between Little Mac and Karate Joe is pretty deep.
One from one of Nintendo's oldest series, one from one of the newest.
One is a karate master, the other is a boxing champion.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I had a similar suggestion recently, except it was Chrom that was the main Lord, with Lucina and Roy appearing as alts.

Controversial, but yeah, I'd be okay with that.
My issue is that Lucina doesn't promote the same play style or elicit the same feel that Roy did. While my take on the character would be even further from Melee Roy then Lucina is on the surface, I feel that this character could still fit into what I would see as an evolution of the Roy concept.

Lucina as she stands right now (especially considering her taunts) would be a terrible choice to slap a Roy costume on in my opinion. You seem to be suggesting a hypothetical situation in which Lucina as a clone did not exist but in her place a different (possibly cloned) character was created that had Roy, Lucina, and Chrom as costume options. That would be okay if the character shared some of Roy's traits, but even then I would think that Lucina would be better as a Marth costume.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
My issue is that Lucina doesn't promote the same play style or elicit the same feel that Roy did. While my take on the character would be even further from Melee Roy then Lucina is on the surface, I feel that this character could still fit into what I would see as an evolution of the Roy concept.

Lucina as she stands right now (especially considering her taunts) would be a terrible choice to slap a Roy costume on in my opinion. You seem to be suggesting a hypothetical situation in which Lucina as a clone did not exist but in her place a different (possibly cloned) character was created that had Roy, Lucina, and Chrom as costume options. That would be okay if the character shared some of Roy's traits, but even then I would think that Lucina would be better as a Marth costume.
Actually, in this particular case, the character is really just "The Lords", with Chrom serving as the default option, in a similar vein the Junior and the Koopalings. The fighting style would be a balanced swordsman style somewhere between Marth and Ike and be based on various skills and elements of the Fire Emblem series.

Of course, this wouldn't please everybody, and indeed would probably alienate a lot of fans. I think it'd be a fair solution, though, if Roy is excluded because of similarities to Marth / relevance / lack of support / other arbitrarily-defined reasons.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Yeah I'd personally settle with Chorus Kids, but really I'd be absolutely fine with anyone.

Rhythm Heaven deserves a character, no matter who, so long as they have a moveset that does the series right.

LucaSmash

Smash Cadet
I like the idea of Marshal because I feel like he is the perfect character to pull random moves from. He could even summon other RH character or props from different mini games for all of his random moves, kind of like Game and Watch on a more massive scale.
This is what I've always thought. Marshal is like a blank canvas mascot for Rhythm Heaven. He's with you through all of Rhythm Heaven and in theory he technically is the night walker and a chorus boy. We haven't seen his "powers" so he could literally do anything, especially summoning characters from RH minigames to attack for him. It would be a lot like Mr. Game and Watch in the sense that they took things from all of the mini games and mashed it into one character, and even added a Mr. title. I imagine him sort of like Pac-Man, in the way that he sends out ghosts and uses the trampoline from Mappy and the ship from Galaga and such, as Pac-Man represents a lot of Namco and not just Pac-Man itself.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
My problem with Wrestler/Karate Joe/Wandering Samurai is that the temptation would be super strong to have them represent the fighting style and discipline of their profession.

Chorus Kids/Rhythm Girl/Marshall would be more likely to have completely out there move sets based off of the entirety of Rhythm Heaven.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I disagree to this fully, it seems to be a statement that ignores all logic presented and is instead declared out of stubbornness.

Anyway, I don't think anyone classifies newcomers as one entity anyway; at the very least, we have clones as a subcategory of newcomers. We could also group, both veterans and potential newcomers, into two categories. "popular" and "other." The problem here is that they wouldn't be the same for any two people, however, certain ones would ALWAYS overlap, such as Mario, Pikachu, and Link.
This entire topic you've been classifying all newcomers under the umbrella of "newcomers".

Which makes sense, but then if you're going to say things like "people care about newcomers more than veterans" and "newcomers is what Smash is about" you can't just choose to exclude characters who disprove that statement. If you're trying to say that people care about newcomers more than some of the veterans, which is true, I could just say people care more about the other veterans than the newcomers, which would also be true, and would ultimately get us to the same place; that the veterans are more of a draw than the newcomers.

Also, we're not talking about movesets here, that's when the subcategory of clones would be of relevance.

To be fair, we've got Mario, Link and Pikachu already in Smash 4. I thought the veterans vs. newcomers debate was regarding who would sell better as potential DLC?
Well it was originally. Now I'm just on about veterans being a bigger draw than newcomers in general.

Weren't all veterans newcomers at one point anyway?
I care about the characters themselves.
Exactly. People care about the characters.

Especially characters they know. And Smash fans generally know characters that have been in Smash before.

Well...

Here's something new and exciting.

Rhythm Heaven had an emblem at one point in development.

EDIT:

Even more exciting news.

It was with the character emblems.
Yeah dats because Gematsu was for reals. Just not up to date.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Well celebrations are in order for the rhythm find,
(note Nigel is playable as a Mii, SMASHING!)
As for veteran debates, most want them because they like them, and some veterans didn't deserve to be cut, so those should be added back in.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
My problem with Wrestler/Karate Joe/Wandering Samurai is that the temptation would be super strong to have them represent the fighting style and discipline of their profession.
Chorus Kids/Rhythm Girl/Marshall would be more likely to have completely out there move sets based off of the entirety of Rhythm Heaven.
That's the issue I have with Marshall though; a kitchen sink composite reference character like Pacman and G&W doesn't really represent rhythm that well. I prefer having a specific idea and incorporate rhythm in their move set while also referencing the games. Chorus Kids is a good example of this, but I still can't wrap my head around triplets. It could look really wonky.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I don't know, I think a composite character would be a great way to showcase all of Rhythm Heaven. If they can make someone like the Monkey or the Chorus Men fully unique I would be all for it, though.

My only real issue is against using RH characters that have an actual real world fighting style. I mean, if we were to have a wrestler I would rather he be this game right here:

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Each franchise in Smash Bros. has there most iconic character playable. Who's Rhythm Heaven's most iconic character? (Watch as there's no definitive answer).

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
So does Little Mac not belong in Smash because he is a boxer?
I dont follow.
No, I am saying I would rather have Little Mac in Smash Bros. then have Boxing Dave, a character I totally just made up from a hypothetical future Rhythm Heaven mini-game, in Smash Bros.

Here is another example of what I mean: I would rather have Takamaru or Sakura Samurai then the guy from the Samurai Slice RH game.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
No, I am saying I would rather have Little Mac in Smash Bros. then have Boxing Dave, a character I totally just made up from a hypothetical future Rhythm Heaven mini-game, in Smash Bros.
That seems to be understating Karate Joe, though. He's been in every game...
And he has a really awesome theme song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom