• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I don't think that's a really fair comparison.
Young Link existed to fill in last-minute clones in Melee.
In that case, now that they have all the time in the world to develop DLC characters, and have to convince customers that these DLC characters are worth buying, why would they go with a character previously chosen to be a last-minute addition? Wouldn't it be wiser to use all that time to develop unique characters that many people would love to have in Smash, like Mewtwo?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The easy answer, to market Majora's Mask 3D regardless if they are a clone or not. If they can give him a unique moveset (which has a 50/50 chance of happening IMO) or came in a cut veterans pack, it'll probably sell decently.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
In that case, now that they have all the time in the world to develop DLC characters, and have to convince customers that these DLC characters are worth buying, why would they go with a character previously chosen to be a last-minute addition? Wouldn't it be wiser to use all that time to develop unique characters that many people would love to have in Smash, like Mewtwo?
Exactly. They'd go for characters that people actually want to buy.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
The easy answer, to market Majora's Mask 3D regardless if they are a clone or not. If they can give him a unique moveset (which has a 50/50 chance of happening IMO) or came in a cut veterans pack, it'll probably sell decently.
Just marketing? That seems like a sort of flimsy excuse, doesn't it? I mean, if pure marketing mattered so much for DLC, why did we get Mewtwo and not something like Sceptile?

We don't know if that will completely be the case for all DLC characters yet.
...It's outright counterproductive to make DLC that people may not want to buy.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
Just marketing? That seems like a sort of flimsy excuse, doesn't it? I mean, if pure marketing mattered so much for DLC, why did we get Mewtwo and not something like Sceptile?
Because Mewtwo as a characters sells for Smash more than Sceptile would sell in Smash nor would he as a character truly affect someone wanting Omega/Alpha any more than any other Pokemon character.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Marketing is a definite possibility, but I think it'd be a combination of both Marketing and Popularity. Mewtwo promotes Pokemon regardless of whether he has an importance in a specific Pokemon game, and he's the #1 most wanted Smash character worldwide.

Because Mewtwo as a characters sells for Smash more than Sceptile would sell in Smash nor would he as a character truly affect someone wanting Omega/Alpha any more than any other Pokemon character.
That's EXACTLY the point. If "just marketing" was an excuse, Sceptile would be the better pick because he's got a bigger role in Omega/Alpha. However, Mewtwo is far more popular. The point is that its not "just" marketing. Popularity also plays a factor here. Just releasing a random character 100% for marketing reasons isn't going to cut it. It has to be someone people actually want. Young Link isn't a character anyone is really clamoring for.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
This is definitely going to be Smashboards speculation "popular" logic all over again, I can feel it.

If he came in a pack full of new content, then technically he could sell.
Sakurai knows that not a lot of people will buy just Young Link, if he came with more content he could sell real well.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
You guys have it all wrong.
There will definitely be DLC newcomers promoting Nintendo's new games, and the first one will be:

Want to know more about Abraham Lincoln? Visit the official website for Codename S.T.E.A.M.!
(Or Wikipedia)

D

Deleted member

I'd be down for S.T.E.A.M. Lincoln getting "sworn in".

Him or Lion. Shame it would be that other guy if any of them got in.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Tom Sawyer seems pretty great too.
Regardless, I sort of get the feeling we won't see a character from Codename: Steam.

Unless one of the characters becomes Mewtwo-levels of demanded.
But that probably won't happen since Codename: Steam is probably not going to be very successful.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Are all the characters in STEAM are based on real life people?
All except the protagonist, I think.
Coincidentally the least interesting character in the game.

EDIT: Actually, I think some of the other main characters are original, and there are characters [stolen] from other works of fiction, like Lion (from the Wizard of Oz)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm pretty sure Tom Sawyer and the Cowardly Lion weren't real people. Or even a "people" in the latter's case.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Tom Sawyer seems pretty great too.
Regardless, I sort of get the feeling we won't see a character from Codename: Steam.

Unless one of the characters becomes Mewtwo-levels of demanded.
But that probably won't happen since Codename: Steam is probably not going to be very successful.
I honestly expect it to be a flop, and I don't care about the look of it all that much. It doesn't interest me, though it is hilarious seeing Abraham Lincoln, the Cowardly Lion and Tom Sawyer.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
So following the direct, I edited my list a bit

S tier
Mewtwo

A tier
Wolf, Krystal

B tier
King K Rool, Lana

C tier
Dixie Kong, Lucas

D tier
Isaac, Micaiah

LOL tier
Mask Link, Bandana Dee

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I honestly expect it to be a flop, and I don't care about the look of it all that much. It doesn't interest me, though it is hilarious seeing Abraham Lincoln, the Cowardly Lion and Tom Sawyer.
Yeah, I agree. It really isn't the game's fault for me. It should have been a Wii U release...I don't like spending hours on a cramped handheld screen.
Water under the bridge, though.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

S tier
Mewtwo

A tier
Wolf, Krystal

B tier
King K Rool, Lana

C tier
Dixie Kong, Lucas

D tier
Isaac, Micaiah

LOL tier
Mask Link, Bandana Dee
I'm still very confused as to why characters like Krystal and Lana are ranked so high, and why characters like Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee are ranked lower.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
S tier
Mewtwo

A tier
Wolf, Krystal

B tier
King K Rool, Lana

C tier
Dixie Kong, Lucas

D tier
Isaac, Micaiah

LOL tier
Mask Link, Bandana Dee
I honestly have to ask why Lana is that high. Granted, she's not impossible, but she's not to the point where I think she's above Lucas, Dixie Kong, Isaac and Bandana Dee. Same with Krystal to a greater extent.

Yeah, I agree. It really isn't the game's fault for me. It should have been a Wii U release...I don't like spending hours on a cramped handheld screen.
Water under the bridge, though.
Even if we assume it'll flop on the 3DS (which it very well could, but that's getting into hypotheticals), I don't think it being on the Wii U would change that. Even with Smash, I don't think it'd get the install base to help its sales, and there's not a lot of strategy games on that system already to really attract that crowd. At least with the 3DS they have a larger group to appeal to, along with Fire Emblem fans that may give it a shot due to being from the same developer.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Even if we assume it'll flop on the 3DS (which it very well could, but that's getting into hypotheticals), I don't think it being on the Wii U would change that. Even with Smash, I don't think it'd get the installbase to help its sales, and there's not a lot of strategy games on that system already to really attract that crowd. At least with the 3DS they have a larger group to appeal to, along with Fire Emblem fans that may give it a shot due to being from the same developer.
This, admittedly, I do agree with. However, the fact is, I'm a massively HUGE fan of strategy RPG's, and this game doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. I love Tactical RPG's like Fire Emblem, and I might try Advance Wars. Codename: STEAM... it just doesn't interest me all that much.

That's the guy who thought Shadow was likely.
Seriously? Lol. I'd absolutely love Shadow in Smash Bros., but I've known right from the start than not only was Shadow basically impossible to ever happen, but he legitimately should not be playable in Smash Bros. either.

I mean, I don't really like Bandana Dee all that much and don't think Bandana Dee would be one of the top characters chosen for DLC at all, but I do think Bandana Dee has a fairly decent shot at being DLC.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I'm still very confused as to why characters like Krystal and Lana are ranked so high, and why characters like Dixie Kong and Bandana Dee are ranked lower.
I think K Rool is more likely than Dixie Kong, and in all honesty, even if Lana was third party, she would represent KT just fine, a historical success between them and Nintendo.

I didn't catch much out of Bandana Dees by watching the trailer of Kirby's Rainbow Curse, and I still honestly see him as Assist Trophy material.

And I suppose going into the Krystal thread and looking at all the perfect ideology they've conjured in the past weeks is too much effort. (Facepalm)
Seriously? Lol. I'd absolutely love Shadow in Smash Bros., but I've known right from the start than not only was Shadow basically impossible to ever happen, but he legitimately should not be playable in Smash Bros. either.
Sad but true.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I think K Rool is more likely than Dixie Kong, and in all honesty, even if Lana was third party, she would represent KT just fine, a historical success between them and Nintendo.

I didn't catch much out of Bandana Dees by watching the trailer of Kirby's Rainbow Curse, and I still honestly see him as Assist Trophy material.

And I suppose going into the Krystal thread and looking at all the perfect ideology they've conjured in the past weeks is too much effort. (Facepalm)
Represent KT? Is that even necessary? I mean, why a one-shot character like Lana from a spin-off Zelda game when you could add a recurring character like Impa who also had a prominent role in said spin-off game? What does Lana have that Impa doesn't?

And why is Dixie, a very popular Smash request, one of the most important Donkey Kong characters, and one of the stars of the latest hit installment of her series, ranked lower?

And for the record, I have checked out the Krystal thread recently, as I do with most characters I debate about. What I saw was mostly theories about codec conversations and talk about Bayonetta.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Represent KT? Is that even necessary? I mean, why a one-shot character like Lana from a spin-off Zelda game when you could add a recurring character like Impa who also had a prominent role in said spin-off game? What does Lana have that Impa doesn't?

And why is Dixie, a very popular Smash request, one of the most important Donkey Kong characters, and one of the stars of the latest hit installment of her series, ranked lower?

And for the record, I have checked out the Krystal thread recently, as I do with most characters I debate about. What I saw was mostly theories about codec conversations and talk about Bayonetta.
A bit earlier than that is when people were talking about it right in the Krystal thread

We have the Kremlings in Smash Run, and a great hero of a franchise can't exist without first a great sidekick and second a great villain, and Dixie Kong has been around less than K Rool

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
A bit earlier than that is when people were talking about it right in the Krystal thread

We have the Kremlings in Smash Run, and a great hero of a franchise can't exist without first a great sidekick and second a great villain, and Dixie Kong has been around less than K Rool
I think the point is that Dixie and K. Rool are about on the same level. Even though I personally think K. Rool is more likely than Dixie at this point, they are neck-and-neck. Both are very iconic DK characters and popular. K. Rool is FAR more popular, and is more important to the franchise, but Dixie's also the third most recurring main character and one of the very few female main heroes in gaming period, let alone Nintendo (she stared in DKC3, obviously). K. Rool beats Dixie Kong in my eyes, but only slightly.

Plus, I think the main complaint wasn't Dixie being lower than K. Rool, but why Dixie is lower than Lana.

TheRandomCities4

Smash Ace
A bit earlier than that is when people were talking about it right in the Krystal thread.
You must be referring to the talk about 2015 being the "Year of Star Fox" (according to Miyamoto), and how players at the special Smash Wii U event (like GameXplain) were restricted on unlocking content because Nintendo kept resetting the data every hour. The latter could have been because of Duck Hunt though.

However...

I found something interesting today that I'm gonna hold onto myself for now. It's not the time to present it yet. I'm waiting for a certain response...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
You must be referring to the talk about 2015 being the "Year of Star Fox" (according to Miyamoto), and how players at the special Smash Wii U event (like GameXplain) were restricted on unlocking content because Nintendo kept resetting the data every hour. The latter could have been because of Duck Hunt though.

However...

I found something interesting today that I'm gonna hold onto myself for now. It's not the time to present it yet. I'm waiting for a certain response...
I'm honestly starting to believe we might have additional characters in Smash Wii U that will be patched into Smash 3DS. I didn't think so at first, but I find several things very odd about how this was handled, and especially Andre's comment in GameExplain. He saw a character with great expressions, which I presumed was Duck Hunt, and he said he couldn't say who it was. Then later he mentioned Duck Hunt anyway.

Plus, its very weird that Smash Wii U has less unlockable characters than Smash 3DS.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

S tier
Mewtwo

A tier
Wolf, Isaac

B tier
King K Rool, Bandana Waddle Dee

C tier
Dixie Kong, Lucas

D tier
Krystal, Micaiah

LOL tier
Mask Link, Lana
Fixed that for ya.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
If Lana ever gets in Smash 4, I will flush twenty dollars down my toilet. Mark my words.

Anyway, I think that this character could be an incredibly unique and fun DLC character:

I know she's probably not super likely, but I still think that she would be a very similar fighter to :snake:, being able to set up traps and being able to use various weapons (but instead of actual weapons, paint-related weapons). She can also swim through ink. That's cool.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Please, anything but that blue haired waifu getting in over "muh Bandanna Dee and K. Rool". It's like my experience in the Hyrule Warriors thread on Gamefaqs all over again. :rolleyes:

Inb4 Impa is added to promote Ocarina of Time 3D Hyrule Warriors instead (Assuming that her Skyward Sword design is too outdated to be used).

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
There's probably not much point in making this, but this is how I'd list potential DLC candidates:

S-Rank (Shoo-Ins)

-Nobody

A-Rank (Fairly likely, about 35%)

-Dixie Kong
-King K. Rool
-Wolf

B-Rank (Moderately likely, about 20%)

-Isaac
-Impa
-Lucas

C-Rank (Not too likely, but still a contender; about 10%)

-Bandana Dee
-Inkling

D-Rank (Unlikely due to some sort of issue, about 5%)

-Ice Climbers
-Snake

This obviously doesn't include everyone, but I think I got most of the notable and arguably most likely candidates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom