• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
At the end of Palutena's trailer, Dark Pit arrives at the scene, and Palutena says "Dark Pit. You just dropped in to crash my party?" Dark Pit then replies with a "Uh huh." Now, let's analyze these particular lines, and see what we can extrapolate from this.

First off, Palutena just got done showing off her moveset in the trailer. She seemed a bit exhausted. In Smash Bros, characters do not get exhausted in battle. There is such thing as stale-move negation, in which a move can lose its power if used repeatedly. However, the results of this mechanic are not visually apparent in the fighter's model or animation. An exception of course is the Pokemon Trainer, whose Pokemon show physical exhaust in their idle animation, but that appears to be a mechanic made specifically for them, and Pokemon Trainer does not seem to be returning to this game, judging from Charizard being a separate character.

With that out of the way, let's move on to the next part. We see Dark Pit descend from presumably the skies. We see purple feathers fall from his wings, and we can only guess we re-acquired the power to fly by a certain means. Perhaps he defeated Pandora another time stole her powers, or perhaps someone else such as Viridi is enabling him to fly. Palutena does not appear to supply Dark Pit with the power because of her words.

"Dark Pit. You just dropped in to crash my party?" First off, she addresses him by "Dark Pit." Not "Pittoo" or "Ptooey," but "Dark Pit." It is the most informal name on the list, as the prior two names are presumably nicknames. "Pittoo" sounds a lot like "Pit 2," which is referring to Dark Pit as being the second Pit. "Ptooey," according the oh so reliable Urban Dictionary, is an "onomatopoetic word originating from the sound made by spitting. Used to indicate disgust." Who would name themselves after a word used to indicate disgust? Perhaps someone who hates themselves, or wants to draw attention to his or her self. Or, because they actually do induce disgust, whether in oneself or others. However, there is not much to draw from Dark Pit's character that indicates one should be disgusted, at least judging from the trailer.

Moving on. After stating "Dark Pit," she says "You just dropped in to crash my party? After addressing him as Dark Pit, she addresses him with the pronoun, "you." This is used after addressing him by his real name to direct her following words to him. Then she speaks the word "just." "Just," in this context, presumably means "very recently; in the immediate past." Now, there is no indication of how goddesses tell time. After all, it could go by faster or slower than a human's sense of time, however she states this about one second after Dark Pit descends onto the ground. We can infer that her sense of time is the same as humans, or, since she was addressing someone who is not a goddess, she is aware of their sense of time and spoke her words accordingly. Following that, she says the two words "dropped in." Now, "dropped in" is the past tense form of "drop in," and "drop in" means to "visit informally and spontaneously." Now, Dark Pit appears to be doing this very thing. He does not appear to be making an expected visit, in fact, it is quite spontaneous and sudden. There is no indication of his appearance from what happened prior in the trailer, so this is obviously a new development. Then she says "to crash my party." The word "crash" means to "collide violently with another obstacle or vehicle." However, we only see Dark Pit land on the ground and not collide violently with anything. His feet collide with the ground, albeit peacefully. Another definition of "crash" is "to enter a party without invitation or permission." Let's look at the definition of "party." A "party" is "a social gathering of invited guests, typically involving eating, drinking, and entertainment." Now, looking back at the rest of the trailer, there is no apparent eating, drinking, or entertainment, unless Palutena showing off her moves and using them on others constitutes "entertainment." Perhaps there is some Ouzo consumption going on in the background that we are not aware of. Anywho, we hear socializing between Pit, Palutena, and eventually Viridi with this "entertainment" ruckus going on. Unless, perhaps, a "social gathering" for all the characters in this trailer constitutes physically damaging each other; that is the only viable conclusion to make judging from this trailer. As this is a game series, the creator has shown much consistency in his work. On the website for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, he wrote, "In this world, trophies fight. They know nothing but fighting. Fighting is the sole reason for their existence." Now, we can deduce that this world is in the world of Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U as well. If this is such, then a "party" for these characters does indeed constitute fighting and beating each other up. However, at the end of the trailer, the party seemed to have ended. Pit and Link are nowhere to be found, although Palutena seems tired from showing off her powers. So perhaps the party was still going on, and she was simply taking a break. Either way, Dark Pit's arrival is obviously unsuspected and surprising to all. What does this mean? Is he playable, or is he not?

Well, let us look at past Smash Bros. games. When a new challenger approaches, it is usually after a fight. Not during a fight. The new challenger initiates a fight following the "party" or "fight." Once that challenger is beaten, they become a part of the roster. Dark Pit follows this pattern. After Palutena is done fighting, Dark Pit arrives after her "party." By this evidence, we can conclude, without uncertainty,doubt, or fear of contradiction, that Dark Pit is indeed a new character in the game. There is nothing else to be had here. Accept the fact, and move on with your life. And to all who support his conclusion, celebrate, with beer and wine and Ouzo and whiskey and whatever beverage or choice of food you would like to celebrate with. Thank you all for reading, let us close this discussion now that we definitively know the truth. Now here is my final mission to you all: preach this good news to all. Make believers and followers of this truth. With this, I bid you all farewell and good luck in your mission. Goddesspeed.
Well, thanks for putting a smile on my face. I didn't think any debate related to Dark Pit could even do that anymore. The trouble you must have gone through to put this essay together was probably arduous. Congratulations on your discovery though.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Wait a second!

Dark. Pit. Dark....... Pit.

Dark.............Pits?............

Pits?

OLIVES CONFIRMED :troll:

image.jpg

Burruni

Smash Hero
Well I'm all for opinions, and I enjoyed reading your thoughts. I am going to argue with you on one thing: The Assault Stage. We've seen in past instances of Smash Bros. That the arwings have no affect on the characters that are in the fight. Look at Lylat Cruise. I think that the two arwings shown on the Assault stage are nothing more than a background.
As I said, it's VERY ambiguous and open to interpretation about many aspects to it. If the Arwings just fly in the background or occasionally drift in like Lylat Cruise and Sector Z/Corneria respectively. Even if they are of the latter category, what stops Peppy being in besides a little bit of continuity? Robin uses Nosferatu which he could only do as a Dark Mage/Sorceror n Awakening, for example. It right now is up in the air if it matters for anything, that's why I left it in its own separate section in the analysis.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
At the end of Palutena's trailer, Dark Pit arrives at the scene, and Palutena says "Dark Pit. You just dropped in to crash my party?" Dark Pit then replies with a "Uh huh." Now, let's analyze these particular lines, and see what we can extrapolate from this.

First off, Palutena just got done showing off her moveset in the trailer. She seemed a bit exhausted. In Smash Bros, characters do not get exhausted in battle. There is such thing as stale-move negation, in which a move can lose its power if used repeatedly. However, the results of this mechanic are not visually apparent in the fighter's model or animation. An exception of course is the Pokemon Trainer, whose Pokemon show physical exhaust in their idle animation, but that appears to be a mechanic made specifically for them, and Pokemon Trainer does not seem to be returning to this game, judging from Charizard being a separate character.

With that out of the way, let's move on to the next part. We see Dark Pit descend from presumably the skies. We see purple feathers fall from his wings, and we can only guess we re-acquired the power to fly by a certain means. Perhaps he defeated Pandora another time stole her powers, or perhaps someone else such as Viridi is enabling him to fly. Palutena does not appear to supply Dark Pit with the power because of her words.

"Dark Pit. You just dropped in to crash my party?" First off, she addresses him by "Dark Pit." Not "Pittoo" or "Ptooey," but "Dark Pit." It is the most informal name on the list, as the prior two names are presumably nicknames. "Pittoo" sounds a lot like "Pit 2," which is referring to Dark Pit as being the second Pit. "Ptooey," according the oh so reliable Urban Dictionary, is an "onomatopoetic word originating from the sound made by spitting. Used to indicate disgust." Who would name themselves after a word used to indicate disgust? Perhaps someone who hates themselves, or wants to draw attention to his or her self. Or, because they actually do induce disgust, whether in oneself or others. However, there is not much to draw from Dark Pit's character that indicates one should be disgusted, at least judging from the trailer.

Moving on. After stating "Dark Pit," she says "You just dropped in to crash my party? After addressing him as Dark Pit, she addresses him with the pronoun, "you." This is used after addressing him by his real name to direct her following words to him. Then she speaks the word "just." "Just," in this context, presumably means "very recently; in the immediate past." Now, there is no indication of how goddesses tell time. After all, it could go by faster or slower than a human's sense of time, however she states this about one second after Dark Pit descends onto the ground. We can infer that her sense of time is the same as humans, or, since she was addressing someone who is not a goddess, she is aware of their sense of time and spoke her words accordingly. Following that, she says the two words "dropped in." Now, "dropped in" is the past tense form of "drop in," and "drop in" means to "visit informally and spontaneously." Now, Dark Pit appears to be doing this very thing. He does not appear to be making an expected visit, in fact, it is quite spontaneous and sudden. There is no indication of his appearance from what happened prior in the trailer, so this is obviously a new development. Then she says "to crash my party." The word "crash" means to "collide violently with another obstacle or vehicle." However, we only see Dark Pit land on the ground and not collide violently with anything. His feet collide with the ground, albeit peacefully. Another definition of "crash" is "to enter a party without invitation or permission." Let's look at the definition of "party." A "party" is "a social gathering of invited guests, typically involving eating, drinking, and entertainment." Now, looking back at the rest of the trailer, there is no apparent eating, drinking, or entertainment, unless Palutena showing off her moves and using them on others constitutes "entertainment." Perhaps there is some Ouzo consumption going on in the background that we are not aware of. Anywho, we hear socializing between Pit, Palutena, and eventually Viridi with this "entertainment" ruckus going on. Unless, perhaps, a "social gathering" for all the characters in this trailer constitutes physically damaging each other; that is the only viable conclusion to make judging from this trailer. As this is a game series, the creator has shown much consistency in his work. On the website for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, he wrote, "In this world, trophies fight. They know nothing but fighting. Fighting is the sole reason for their existence." Now, we can deduce that this world is in the world of Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U as well. If this is such, then a "party" for these characters does indeed constitute fighting and beating each other up. However, at the end of the trailer, the party seemed to have ended. Pit and Link are nowhere to be found, although Palutena seems tired from showing off her powers. So perhaps the party was still going on, and she was simply taking a break. Either way, Dark Pit's arrival is obviously unsuspected and surprising to all. What does this mean? Is he playable, or is he not?

Well, let us look at past Smash Bros. games. When a new challenger approaches, it is usually after a fight. Not during a fight. The new challenger initiates a fight following the "party" or "fight." Once that challenger is beaten, they become a part of the roster. Dark Pit follows this pattern. After Palutena is done fighting, Dark Pit arrives after her "party." By this evidence, we can conclude, without uncertainty,doubt, or fear of contradiction, that Dark Pit is indeed a new character in the game. There is nothing else to be had here. Accept the fact, and move on with your life. And to all who support his conclusion, celebrate, with beer and wine and Ouzo and whiskey and whatever beverage or choice of food you would like to celebrate with. Thank you all for reading, let us close this discussion now that we definitively know the truth. Now here is my final mission to you all: preach this good news to all. Make believers and followers of this truth. With this, I bid you all farewell and good luck in your mission. Goddesspeed.
Or it was just a cool trailer for Plateuna

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
just got back from vacation, what's going on here?

any new info or anything?

(besides the Hyrule Warriors Direct, which I don't think will have anything to do with smash)

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Is anyone else just neutral on Dark Pit's inclusion?

I feel like he's a very polarizing individual but I can't seem to get worked up one way or the other about him.
I think Lucina inoculated some people (including myself) to the ideas of clones. Before her reveal, I wanted no similar clones in Smash and was disappointed with the Toon Link reveal. When Lucina, who is the cloniest clone that has existed, came to be, I simply did not care about the clone issue anymore.

The other newcomers are dripping with flavor and crammed with creative themes and mechanics.

Burruni

Smash Hero

(besides the Hyrule Warriors Direct, which I don't think will have anything to do with smash)
Takamaru deconfirmed, Duck Hunt Dog arguments have shifted back to 8-Bit Mario, and Dark Pit is the new Ridley.

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337

Dark Pit.

Seriously.

Just Dark Pit.

Gold_Jacobson

Smash Journeyman
Mario: Captain Toad/Toad
Zelda: Ghirahim
Pokémon: Squirtle
DK: K Rool
KI: Dark Pit
Metroid: Ridley
Kirby: Bandana Dee
Star Fox: Slippy
Mother: Lucas
Fire Emblem: Chrom
F-Zero: Dark Falcon guy
Other: Shulk
Veteran: Young Link
Most Wanted: Ghirahim
Do not want: Dixie
Third Party: Bomberman

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Or it was just a cool trailer for Dark Pit? :troll:
:troll::troll::troll::troll::troll:

Totally possible, I'm just over this argument because both sides have their argument, and each side has merits, but neither is conclusive enough with the X factor that validates either argument which is whatever the :088: goes on in Sakurai's head

mark welford

Smash Ace
guys list your 3 favorite pieces of music in smash ever mines are as listed:

1.Multi-Man Melee 2 because of it's retro feel listening to this one right now :)
2.Area 6 V.2 because of it up tempo fast paced sound
3.Meta Knight's Revenge I just like this one for no reason

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
If Krystal was in, how would you want her to appear in the game, design-wise? I know that all three Starfox characters have composite designs, but since Krystal has only appeared in three games, she does not have much to pull from.

I prefer her Assault design, and I don't see how the Assault and Command designs can become composites, besides the colors, obviously. However she appeared in her Assault design in Brawl as a trophy, as did a few other characters. If she's in, she probably would not need to have a new visual design like the rest of the playable Starfox characters have.

1.Multi-Man Melee 2 because of it's retro feel
Man I can't choose just three, there's too many good ones. ;)

However, YES YES YES to Multi-Man Melee 2. Beautiful song, brings back memories, sad to see it omitted from Brawl, hopefully they bring that one back for this one.

Last edited:

Joe D.

Smash Ace
NNID
NeroSnare
3DS FC
2552-1665-5337
Did I forget to assert that the trailer cliff-hanger might also imply another Kid Icarus character, Hades, to coincide with Dark Pit's reveal? Oh, silly me. :troll:
I'm using your way of thinking as influence for every paper I'm going to write when I leave for school in a few weeks.

Seriously, you and @GoldenYuiitusin

But go on about Hades, I want to see this thread explode.

ihskeyp

Smash Ace
If Krystal was in, how would you want her to appear in the game, design-wise? I know that all three Starfox characters have composite designs, but since Krystal has only appeared in three games, she does not have much to pull from.

I prefer her Assault design, and I don't see how the Assault and Command designs can become composites, besides the colors, obviously. However she appeared in her Assault design in Brawl as a trophy, as did a few other characters. If she's in, she probably would not need to have a new visual design like the rest of the playable Starfox characters have.

However, YES YES YES to Multi-Man Melee 2. Beautiful song, brings back memories, sad to see it omitted from Brawl, hopefully they bring that one back for this one.
Assault design is clearly the best, in my opinion.

Morbi

Scavenger

As long as it is not that abhorrent and repugnant third design, I would be content.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero

I'm not too familiar with Starfox to know which outfit is which(except Adventures) so I guess I'd say the middle one? Not a fan of the pink, and although the Adventures design would associate her stronger with her staff, the space suit would just fit better with the other Starfox characters....

...unless Falco and Wolf both show up in beach gear I mean.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium

Her Assault design is definitely the most preferable. At least to me. I imagine she'll probably have a slight redesign anyway if she does indeed become playable.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I'm not too familiar with Starfox to know which outfit is which(except Adventures) so I guess I'd say the middle one? Not a fan of the pink, and although the Adventures design would associate her stronger with her staff, the space suit would just fit better with the other Starfox characters....

...unless Falco and Wolf both show up in beach gear I mean.
Bananna Hammock Wolf for Smash

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Takamaru deconfirmed, Duck Hunt Dog arguments have shifted back to 8-Bit Mario, and Dark Pit is the new Ridley.
I have been paying attention to the pic of the day, so I know about Takamaru. that kinda sucks though, but I never really supported him so it didn't hit me hard.

that third one is so ungly.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Terrible MS paint job confirmed.

Yes, I know Bubble Ghost isn't a Nintendo property, but I want it anyway.
Probably best not to post this amongst all this Krystal talk but oh well.
so this is like a want roster of sorts?

Nice choice in third party, BTW.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
Terrible MS paint job confirmed.

Yes, I know Bubble Ghost isn't a Nintendo property, but I want it anyway.
Probably best not to post this amongst all this Krystal talk but oh well.
I forgot about Krystal when I was making mine, She's definetly up there for me. I support this choice.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Chances of Paula being a Ness Alt?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

1.Multi-Man Melee 2 because of it's retro feel listening to this one right now :)
As in the version that are in the Smash games themselves?

1. Brinstar (Melee)
2. Fountain of Dreams (Melee)
3. Mute City (Melee)

Might seem like I'm a bit of a Melee soundtrack fanboy here, but aside from these three I only actually really like Pollyanna, Being Friends, Brinstar Depths and Big Blue from that game. Brawl has the far superior soundtrack at the end of the day imo, it just so happens Melee's good songs are better than Brawl's.

EDIT: Also, Yoshi's Island is also pretty good, and can't forget about that super hip DK rap just for lulz. Aside from those it's very lackluster though.

Last edited:

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
Y'know they could just have members of the Mother party all as alt costumes of Ness.

Right? No? I've never played Earthbound.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Um... I suppose. It is a list of people who "hate" Dark Pit. It is more or less meant to be a list of people who find him unlikely so that I can be like, "haha haha haha, I was right... you were wrong, haha haha haha." Albeit, the only point of reference that I have are people who do not want him; however, there is a difference between not wanting a character and speculating in favor of them.
Hmmm... if the leak is real, I might make a list too... but for Duck Hunt Dog... I know a few people who are on top of that list. If he is confirmed, I want an "I was wrong" thread. But you never know with Sakurai and we might get no retro newcomers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom