• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703
How would you react if Sakurai made Dark Pit a completely unique character?
I wouldn't be happy... 1) They would waste time and resources on some dried out character archetype, taking up yet another spot at a veteran's expense 2) KI doesn't need more than two characters right now anyway.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
...? That's an "if". Sceptile is only being considered for speculation because of a ridiculous notion that all three Starter Pokemon types must be represented. Sure, IF we were to get a Grass starter, Sceptile would likely be it, but I HIGHLY doubt Sakurai's worried about having a Grass Pokemon in the game, lol.
It's not too far fetched that he would pursue that kind of pattern when you think about Pokemon Trainer's monsters. His were specifically geared to represent the three starter types even though there was no shortage of other interesting Pokemon to include in that lineup.

epicgordan

Smash Ace
Actually, Dark Pit being a stage boss here is what is so perfect, because due to his size, he'll almost always be avoidable.
So, what you're saying is, it'd be a good idea for a character the same size as everybody else and can easily be mistaken for something completely different and couldn't possibly be identifiable when all the characters are completely spread out in the farthest corners of the stage a boss? Yeah, New Pork City would like to have a word with you.

Speaking of which, I think I may know what that boss--or shall I say, stage hazard--could be. Remember one of the potd's with this enemy that Sakurai showed off and told us to stay away from him; he's much more powerful than that creature from New Pork City?

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I don't know guy...
Sakurai bias wouldn't leave his final smash be The Three Sacred Treassures... He took off Lucina's tipper...
I may be wrong anyway.
Wouldn't be the first time a character in Smash used a move they didn't in the original games.

Nothing in Kid Icarus canon stops Dark Pit from using the Three Sacred Treasures. It's very explicitly stated in KIU that Dark Pit possesses the same fighting skills as Pit.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
We're not doing anything. Sakurai is, and it's his choice. I could see sceptile being playable for multiple reasons, completing the trio being one. Will he? I doubt it. But we can't pretend to understand sakurai's reasoning.
I meant we as in in general. And, based on popularity of the gen three starters, Blaziken has them beat. For Pokemon, popularity is a huge factor, and the only reason people are saying Sceptile is "GRASS TYPE". It makes zero sense. It would make more sense, going off how Sakurai includes Pokemon, is that the Gen 3 rep would be Blaziken due to popularity. The only downside is that he's fire and fighting, and its already represented, I guess (if that's even a feasible counterargument).

While the OCD in me screams "do the trio....", it doesn't make any logical sense as Sceptile is not as popular as other Gen 3 contenders and not as relevant to the franchise (as in, anime and movies). While being a grass type does fit the "Grass/Fire/Water" trio, that seems to be the only strong-enough point for Sceptile's inclusion, and there are so many other factors weighing in on how Pokemon are chosen.

Not saying I'm against Sceptile's inclusion. I'd love to see that trio of starters, but I don't think it holds enough ground.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
How would you react if Sakurai made Dark Pit a completely unique character?
That wouldn't bother me so much, however, Kid Icarus receiving the same amount of characters as it does games is a bit much. But for some reason Mario can only have five characters. That p***** me off. Anyway, I'm still a supporter of more important characters like Medusa and Hades.

With the amount of speculation Palutena and Dark Pit receive, I'm starting to lose a lot of interest in Kid Icarus which was low on the get-go.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
So, what you're saying is, it'd be a good idea for a character the same size as everybody else and can easily be mistaken for something completely different and couldn't possibly be identifiable when all the characters are completely spread out in the farthest corners of the stage a boss? Yeah, New Pork City would like to have a word with you.

Speaking of which, I think I may know what that boss--or shall I say, stage hazard--could be. Remember one of the potd's with this enemy that Sakurai showed off and told us to stay away from him; he's much more powerful than that creature from New Pork City?
You mean "the ourn" or "giant blue, one hit killing skull thing" (not sure if spelled correctly, not an expert in KI.)

Also the Ultimate Chimera, is most positively stronger than it, as I remember it not being totally invulnerable in Uprising, unlike the Chimera where you had to hit a button, that can turn itself back on.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Wouldn't be the first time a character in Smash used a move they didn't in the original games.

Nothing in Kid Icarus canon stops Dark Pit from using the Three Sacred Treasures. It's very explicitly stated in KIU that Dark Pit possesses the same fighting skills as Pit.
Wolf with a Landmaster comes to mind.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I still maintain that if Dark Pit were going to be playable separately from Pit, they would have revealed him in the Palutena trailer.

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs
Explain to me why it's ridiculous to represent an important part of pokemon.
That's not what I said. Many important parts of Pokemon are represented throughout the Smash Bros. series. I said it's ridiculous to believe that if you have a Fire starter and a Water starter, you MUST have a Grass starter. Why is it so important to have a Grass starter? Just to have all three starter types? Who cares?

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473

So, he has the highest chances to potentially be a clone.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I meant we as in in general. And, based on popularity of the gen three starters, Blaziken has them beat. For Pokemon, popularity is a huge factor, and the only reason people are saying Sceptile is "GRASS TYPE". It makes zero sense. It would make more sense, going off how Sakurai includes Pokemon, is that the Gen 3 rep would be Blaziken due to popularity. The only downside is that he's fire and fighting, and its already represented, I guess (if that's even a feasible counterargument).

While the OCD in me screams "do the trio....", it doesn't make any logical sense as Sceptile is not as popular as other Gen 3 contenders and not as relevant to the franchise (as in, anime and movies). While being a grass type does fit the "Grass/Fire/Water" trio, that seems to be the only strong-enough point for Sceptile's inclusion, and there are so many other factors weighing in on how Pokemon are chosen.

Not saying I'm against Sceptile's inclusion. I'd love to see that trio of starters, but I don't think it holds enough ground.
Might as well just put in Ivysaur or better yet make him a Venusaur, and make the starter trio fans happy, instead of going with not that popular gen 3 starter....

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Might as well just put in Ivysaur or better yet make him a Venusaur, and make the starter trio fans happy, instead of going with not that popular gen 3 starter....
Then people would cry, "stupid genwunners" and crap like that.

PurpleSpaceDragon

Smash Journeyman
If Dark Pit gets his own roster slot (either as a near-clone like Lucina or as a unique character) and not one of Ridley, K. Rool, or Mewtwo get in as playable, I'll be legitimately pissed and seriously question Sakurai's ethics in regards to favoring his own characters.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
If Sakurai considers it important to have a representative of each type in the starter trio, who do you think he'll choose?
If he does, then Sceptile's a possible choice (and as mentioned above, Ivysaur considering it's a veteran), but that's not the argument at hand. The argument is whether we should really be placing that much emphasis on it, and considering this is a series governed by other factors that should also be considered, it can't be the only one we look at. That's where Sceptile falters because they're not really in his favor, and relying on one aspect to carry a character doesn't make him that strong a candidate.

Now, I'm not going to say he's impossible because it can happen, but I honestly don't think he holds up that well. With only one point under his belt, he's not the most notable candidate, and I personally don't think it bodes well for him.

Last edited:

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
For pokemon newcomers, I'm a bit curious as to why no one ever suggests Bulbasaur? As the first pokemon in the pokedex, Bulbasaur is pretty famous in his own right. He also has anime cred, being the only first get starter to actually remain fully Ash's through the entire series, unlike Squirtle who eventually ditches, and Charizard who seems to just kind of show up whenever Ash needs another really powerful pokemon. It also completes a starter trio, and sort of avoids cuts. (I prefer Ivysaur's design, but I can understand making the switch.) Thoughts?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Nah, that's too good to be true. No, seriously, I'd cry tears of joy.

For pokemon newcomers, I'm a bit curious as to why no one ever suggests Bulbasaur? As the first pokemon in the pokedex, Bulbasaur is pretty famous in his own right. He also has anime cred, being the only first get starter to actually remain fully Ash's through the entire series, unlike Squirtle who eventually ditches, and Charizard who seems to just kind of show up whenever Ash needs another really powerful pokemon. It also completes a starter trio, and sort of avoids cuts. (I prefer Ivysaur's design, but I can understand making the switch.) Thoughts?
Pretty much because Ivysaur has already been in the game, the process of adding Ivysaur would be much simpler than making him into Bulbasaur honestly, it would feel like a downgrade.

Last edited:

epicgordan

Smash Ace
I have a question: If Dark Pit is going to be playable, why couldn't Sakurai just dump all the weapon types he couldn't give to Pit? Perhaps that's the reason he'd be given his own slot (that, and he's only the other main character of KI:U).

Also, why wasn't he officially confirmed in the Palutena trailer? Two obvious reasons, methinks:

1. Dark Pit will be a secret character.
2. The trailer ended on a cliffhanger.

Pizzanigs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pizzanigs
I have a question: If Dark Pit is going to be playable, why couldn't Sakurai just dump all the weapon types he couldn't give to Pit? Perhaps that's the reason he'd be given his own slot (that, and he's only the other main character of KI:U).

Also, why wasn't he officially confirmed in the Palutena trailer? Two obvious reasons, methinks:

3. He's not playable.

Hot Uncle Sparky

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4356-0645-2703
No, because then he would have been added to the site.

Then he wouldn't have appeared in any trailer
Doesn't mean much, newcomer trailers are always horribly written and usually end with more questions than answers

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
If Dark Pit is a character they better make Dark Links their own characters as well.

They, like Dark pit, are different characters from their lighter versions and could have tweaked movesets.

O_o

Also, Blood Falcon.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465

Meh, don't mind the other guys bro. I completely support this, and I look forward to the trailer that gives us a full revelation of him among other characters. :)

Turokman5896

Smash Lord

I'm not suggesting he's likely, he's not. But the trio seeming to be the only strong enough point is irrelevant, because we don't know what sakurai is looking for. Unique moveset? Sure. New game coming? Sure. We just a don't know what he'll consider...

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
People are just reading way too much into it. Remember in the Villager's trailer we saw Tom Nook look at the letter suspiciously? OMIGOSH TOM NOOK IS GONNA BE PLAYABLE HE'S GONNA TAKE THE LETTER AND GO SMASH!!!!!

...He's now part of Villager's Final Smash.

The trailers really mean nothing, and people are jumping to conclusions waaay too quickly.

I'm not suggesting he's likely, he's not. But the trio seeming to be the only strong enough point is irrelevant, because we don't know what sakurai is looking for. Unique moveset? Sure. New game coming? Sure. We just a don't know what he'll consider...
Actually, according to this article, we know what Sakurai is looking for in Pokemon characters.

Last edited by a moderator:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
People are just reading way too much into it. Remember in the Villager's trailer we saw Tom Nook look at the letter suspiciously? OMIGOSH TOM NOOK IS GONNA BE PLAYABLE HE'S GONNA TAKE THE LETTER AND GO SMASH!!!!!

...He's now part of Villager's Final Smash.

The trailers really mean nothing, and people are jumping to conclusions waaay too quickly.
It was not much of a direct tease as Dark Pit's though.

GunGunW

Smash Lord
NNID
GunGunW
I wouldn't be happy... 1) They would waste time and resources on some dried out character archetype, taking up yet another spot at a veteran's expense 2) KI doesn't need more than two characters right now anyway.
That's exactly how I feel about it; they'd be screwed either way they did it.

Xenorange

Smash Lord
If he does, then Sceptile's a possible choice (and as mentioned above, Ivysaur considering it's a veteran), but that's not the argument at hand. The argument is whether we should really be placing that much emphasis on it, and considering this is a series governed by other factors that should also be considered, it can't be the only one we look at. That's where Sceptile falters because they're not really in his favor, and relying on one aspect to carry a character doesn't make him that strong a candidate.

Now, I'm not going to say he's impossible because it can happen, but I honestly don't think he holds up that well. With only one point under his belt, he's not the most notable candidate, and I personally don't think it bodes well for him.
We all have our opinions/expectations your's are just different from mine. I personally think he's got a great shot. Your points are most certainly valid as well though. Let's just wait and see.

Edit: hey guys, Ash has a Sceptile. Remember? You know what else Ash has? Charizard, Pikachu, and a Froakie (pre evolution of Greninja) not that it means much, but you never know.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Yes I was way too keen on it, even Golden pointed out that it wasn't one, that was my lack of figuring out what a real tease was.
Honestly, Dark Pit's case is nearly identical as Tom Nook's.
People were saying that Nook was hinted due to him looking at the invitation.
At most
, I think Dark Pit will be a stage hazard.

Richard Nixon

Smash Apprentice
I honestly wouldn't mind seeing Dark Pit as a Lucina-style clone. In the same vein as Lucina, I'd see him as more of a fun bonus to the roster than a waste of development time / roster space. After all, if he were as cloney as Lucina, then he'd take barely any time to make I'm sure, and the dev team probably wouldn't include him in the first place until the higher-priority veterans and newcomers were taken care of. Basically - if Sakurai and his team have time to include Dark Pit as a clone, then they more than likely have time to include all of the other, more important characters they intended to have playable. And it'd be kind of nice to have a slight variation on Pit's moveset, I guess, so long as it doesn't cost much development time.

If he had his own unique moveset, then I'd actually be a little peeved. That would imply Sakurai decided to take the time and resources to create a full-fledged character out of Dark Pit, over many other possible choices. In that case, Dark Pit would actually be eating up a significant amount of development time. I think most fans would rather that time be spent on a more deserving character.

As for whether or not Dark Pit is likely, I doubt it. But the ending to Palutena's trailer was definitely suspicious. Yeah, I know: if he was gonna be playable they'd have shown him as a playable character. Perhaps, though, they wanted to introduce this whole "alt/clone" concept with Lucina and Robin's trailer, rather than in the middle of E3's barrage of new content. I'm betting on Dark Pit being an assist trophy or something instead, but I wouldn't be too surprised to see him make it in as a clone.

D

Deleted member

Are you forgetting that characters on the 3DS have outlines for the sole purpose of distinguishing proportions?
I thought they were there so people can actually see their character from far away and to influence the effect of 3D. :rolleyes:

He might not be, but there are other players that may have this problem. Especially Metal Pit and Metal Dark Pit. I mean, I could probably see the difference, but I cannot account for everyone else playing Smash. Especially on the 3DS.
Here's why the Metal logic is a bunch of hokum;
The logic applies to mirror matches. Might as well not allow people to play as the same character since they'll just get confused on who they are if both are Metal.

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
I honestly thought only one metal box can spawn at a time. But I haven't played with items in forever so I can't remember.

The only time more than one character can be metal I think is when you do it in the "special" match section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom