• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Light bike also seems awful, since if i remember correctly it cant be turned around, and has much less HP and damage making it an awful projectile to be thrown.

Rose scented waft just seems terrible.
Speeding Bike can nab hilarious kills near the ledge. Rose-Scented Waft is huge and still kills, and charges faster than normal Waft to boot.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
On another topic. We should all know what are the better customs by now (Generally). But the next question arrives, which customs are the worst?

IMO?

FIERY JUMP PUNCH

Despite of everything that might be bizarre I have wrote until now about Luigi (I'm being honest. Plz don't hurt me), THIS custom is a straight downgrade. Try it on and you'll know this custom is one of the worst move in the game.

Crappy reward on hit for the risk, height loss nerfs recovery even more, unfavorable angle, no end lag reductions, bigger sweetspot's almost unnoticeable, and isn't a shoryuken considering on how weak it is and doesn't ping :/.
Any of the "easier to use but less effective" customs. Fiery Jump Punch is one such move, but Marth/Lucina also have Effortless Blade and Easy Counter while Villager has Pocket Plus.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
On another topic. We should all know what are the better customs by now (Generally). But the next question arrives, which customs are the worst?
Spinphony.

Like seriously, I can't think of any move in the whole game that's worse than that.

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Any of the "easier to use but less effective" customs. Fiery Jump Punch is one such move, but Marth/Lucina also have Effortless Blade and Easy Counter while Villager has Pocket Plus.
Pocket Plus has uses in matchups where Villager wants to hold onto an item (banana peel, gyro, etc) but not throw it as it then has no drawbacks. I think the move still has invincibility, right?

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
Spinphony.

Like seriously, I can't think of any move in the whole game that's worse than this.
Yea, while other customs may have niche and weak uses, spinphony is downright punishing you for using it unless you used it absolutely perfectly to avoid punish... and even then, it only gains you like 1% and maybe some positioning or troll points.

Though, another might be one of olimar's customs. I forget which one, but dabuz told me one of them make his grabs real glitchy and worse.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny

Light bike also seems awful, since if i remember correctly it cant be turned around, and has much less HP and damage making it an awful projectile to be thrown.
Speedy Bike has its disadvantages, but high BKB lets it score really early edgeguard KOs (like 20%), and, well, it's speedy.

It surprises me to see you mention these two customs because they're the ones that got me thinking I should maybe give Wario a shot myself...though I play with customs basically never.

Though, another might be one of olimar's customs. I forget which one, but dabuz told me one of them make his grabs real glitchy and worse.
I believe Olimar's custom neutralB pikmin do this? I haven't looked into it myself though, don't quote me on that. Something about the pikmin not running forward to grab iirc

---

Also, Greninja's upB 2 is really bad. Slows down Hydro Pump substantially and drastically weakens the water's knockback+changes it to fixed (weight-based) knockback. It's basically just training wheels for people that can't pick two directions quickly enough.

Last edited:

Forty4

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThePriceIsWrong
Pocket Plus has uses in matchups where Villager wants to hold onto an item (banana peel, gyro, etc) but not throw it as it then has no drawbacks. I think the move still has invincibility, right?
High Jump for Yoshi. A better recovery, but no Eggs. I'd rather have the Eggs since most of the time I'll make it back on stage. Granted, it's not terrible, but the default is better (HJ could also be used in a matchup where Eggs aren't completely useful, but still I'd rather have a projectile).

Eggs are love. Eggs are life.

Last edited:

Forty4

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThePriceIsWrong
High Jump for Yoshi. A better recovery, but no Eggs. I'd rather have the Eggs since most of the time I'll make it back on stage. Granted, it's not terrible, but the default Up-B is so much better.

Eggs are love. Eggs are life.
Double post, sorry. Banish this to the Shadow Realm, please.

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
High-Capacity Pump and Substitute Ambush are both total garbage. HCP is the best example in the game of a straight downgrade, at least moves like Fiery Jump Punch have a bigger sweetspot; HCP is worse for recovery due to moving slower so being easier to control makes no difference, and there is no hitbox on the water. Literally no benefits to the move whatsoever. And Substitute Ambush is useless, the standard Substitute takes long enough to counterattack and SA takes even longer, it will never hit anyone.

Single Shot Pump and Shadow Strike are both awful too, but barely better than the aforementioned ones.

Last edited:

Forty4

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThePriceIsWrong
High-Capacity Pump and Substitute Ambush are both total garbage. HCP is the best example in the game of a straight downgrade, at least moves like Fiery Jump Punch have a bigger sweetspot; HCP is worse for recovery due to moving slower so being easier to control makes no difference, and there is no hitbox on the water. Literally no benefits to the move whatsoever. And Substitute Ambush is useless, the standard Substitute takes long enough to counterattack and SA takes even longer, it will never hit anyone.

Single Shot Pump and Shadow Strike are both awful too, barely better than the aforementioned ones.
Does HCP have anything over the default (minus the ease of control), such as increased distance? If so, would the slower speed make the distance increase negligible?

Last edited:

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Does HCP have anything over the default (minus the ease of control), such as increased distance? If so, would the slower speed make the distance increase negligible?
The second spurt has more distance, slower speed makes it negligible most of the time but on occasion it can let you go deeper to edgeguard. I should probably rephrase "offers no benefits" to "offers the worst, most situational benefit of any custom". Potato potahto, really.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
The second spurt has more distance, slower speed makes it negligible most of the time but on occasion it can let you go deeper to edgeguard. I should probably rephrase "offers no benefits" to "offers the worst, most situational benefit of any custom". Potato potahto, really.
I'd beg to differ since the reverse (a custom that may not offer literally no downside but instead a situational one that makes it generally always worth using, like Power Vision) is something I tend to harp on whenever people talk about customs being straight upgrades. Although I will agree that situational-bordering-on-useless upsides can make a custom basically worthless.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand

???
Dude those are Wario's best customs.

Rose Waft is ridiculous. Wario's most important move in the custom meta. It's almost impossible to miss because of its insane range, fully charges 40 seconds before default waft, is better for punishing, deals insane damage and is an incredibly potent edgeguard move. It serves as a move that has incredible utility and Wario gets a TON out of it. You won't even miss the regular waft, since Wario isn't short on kill moves.

Speeding Bike makes Wario almost impossible to catch, and it's a lot safer to boot. It helps him camp better, and makes it easier for him to reset to neutral. It also has notable combo potential. Default bike has its benefits (notably to challenge moves with it or ledgeguarding), but otherwise Speeding Bike is the preferred option.

You want a terrible Wario custom? Garlic Breath.

Last edited:

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
heavy turnips need to die in a fire

grumpy toad is basically just a worse fair, there's never a reason to use it

all of the parasol customs aren't very good

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Luigi's Bouncing Fireball, while basically mario's fireball, is a poor choice since luigis fireballs are just straight up better. As what seems to be a direct downgrade from stock, id say this counts.
At least bouncing has a bit more range and decent for gimps. Otherwise it sucks. No real reason to use it over normal or iceball.

Actually clothesline tornado for Luigi is REALLY bad too. Could contend for worst custom. Mach is bad, but at least it makes you recover...normal cyclone kills earlier than clothesline in the end because of vertical off screen kills.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
@ NachoOfCheese NachoOfCheese What can I say? I actually changed and got more serious (now that I started playing Link and Mac).

Truth be told, however, Mewtwo is held back with its low weight and floaty nature, which would be good if some opponents just didn't have those absurd KO moves (Ganondorf, Bowser, Dedede and Mac are examples). It's a severe hindrance to it, and if heavies have rage on them, Mewtwo players would need to get that KO quick or they will be KO'd quick.

@ Ikes Ikes Ganondorf vs Jigglypuff isn't much of a low tier MU, but a mid-tier. However, I say Ganondorf wins, because Jigglypuff hates Rage. Once Ganondorf hits Rage, you need to KO him early, or he can literally KO you at 0% with a total of 3 attacks by then (Warlock Punch, Flame Choke Suicide and U-Tilt Shield Break). Plus, Ganondorf has more range and disjoint on his attacks than Jigglypuff, and trying to use U-Air below Ganondorf means you want to be KO'd quickly.
Yeah and that's why Mewtwo is so... underwhelming. If he were mid weight it would be different but when you're so light and so large it basically means even characters like Sheik have no problem KOing.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Easy Dancing Blade probably qualifies.

Heavy Dancing Blade as well, considering it can't combo at all.
Heavy Dancing Blade actually is quite useful in FFAs, probably in teams as well. Completely useless in singles though, no argument there.

Guard breaker

gimps little macs recovery even more, is slower, and its only upside is going through shields. Pressing b wont even throw the punch quicker. Maybe not the -worst- but i cant see much application for it especially since it makes him even easier to KO
Guard Breaker is amazingly good. Armor starting like what, frame 9 up to the hitbox duration. You literally cannot gimp Mac out of this unless you have a command grab or a windbox. He is otherwise completely guaranteed to reach the ledge when he uses this move.

Last edited:

Ikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smooth_Moonman
???
Dude those are Wario's best customs.

Rose Waft is ridiculous. Wario's most important move in the custom meta. It's almost impossible to miss because of its insane range, fully charges 40 seconds before default waft, is better for punishing, deals insane damage and is an incredibly potent edgeguard move. It serves as a move that has incredible utility and Wario gets a TON out of it. You won't even miss the regular waft, since Wario isn't short on kill moves.

Speeding Bike makes Wario almost impossible to catch, and it's a lot safer to boot. It helps him camp better, and makes it easier for him to reset to neutral. It also has notable combo potential. Default bike has its benefits (notably to challenge moves with it or ledgeguarding), but otherwise Speeding Bike is the preferred option.

You want a terrible Wario custom? Garlic Breath.
burying bike is so much better IMHO
better as a projectile since its heavier and has more HP, bury lasts longer than other burying moves allowing for easier setups, still get two extra jumps out of using it in the air so recovery isnt a big issue, i mean maybe speeding bike is good but i dont see anything about it that isnt overshadowed by Burying Bike's phenomenal usage.

Also I hadnt known about rose scented waft, from what I understood it just did decent damage and KB but put a flower on peoples heads. I guess I was wrong.

Heavy Dancing Blade actually is quite useful in FFAs, probably in teams as well. Completely useless in singles though, no argument there.

Guard Breaker is amazingly good. Armor starting like what, frame 9 up to the hitbox duration. You literally cannot gimp Mac out of this unless you have a command grab or a windbox. He is otherwise completely guaranteed to reach the ledge when he uses this move.
if he does it out of hitstun or while going the other way, it has literally no horizontal distance and he just plummets downwards. you have to wait for hitstun to end or your momentum to change to even perform this, which will often be too late.
it's a wholly worse move for recovering cause ****ing little mac could nair or fair gimp you so you cant even do it.

videyay here

Last edited:

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
Doesn't Olimar have his own version of Spinphony with the whistle that's just as bad?
Dizzy Whistle hits the opponent two times: the first does 0 damage and causes little hitstun, and the second does 1% w/ no hitstun, spins the opponent around, and applies a windbox that generally draws the opponent to Olimar.

Olimar's UpB are inferior to default. You either sacrifice horizontal mobility for a faster vetical recovery and a weak windbox around you, or you'll be able to keep your Pikmin w/ you in a situation where you would throw Pikmin anyway to try to harass the opponent edgeguarding you.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
if he does it out of hitstun or while going the other way, it has literally no horizontal distance and he just plummets downwards. you have to wait for hitstun to end or your momentum to change to even perform this, which will often be too late.
it's a wholly worse move for recovering cause ****ing little mac could nair or fair gimp you so you cant even do it.

videyay here
So? I don't care about using it stupidly. As long as you are careful about avoiding the dumb momentum glitch, Guard Breaker guarantees you grab the ledge as long as you didn't DI poorly, in which situation you would be dead against any good player frankly regardless of which specials you were running.

Ikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smooth_Moonman
So? I don't care about using it stupidly. As long as you are careful about avoiding the dumb momentum glitch, Guard Breaker guarantees you grab the ledge as long as you didn't DI poorly, in which situation you would be dead against any good player frankly regardless of which specials you were running.
this isnt DI, this is literally if you're not moving forward at a significant speed. If you're just out of hitstun, not moving, or moving backwards, your gaurd breaker will plummet you to your death. THIS ISNT A BUG, IT'S AN INTENDED FEATURE OF THE MOVE.
And many times you'd need to jolt haymaker back to the stage is when you're moving the wrong way off the stage. So you try and side B back - OOPS!!! you're using Guard Breaker and you just SDed.

I see absolutely no use of this move aside from it being able to be used slightly more aggressively. but it's already pretty unnecessary to use in the first place OUTSIDE of recovery due to little mac having much better grounded options.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Rosa's windbox down-b is worthless.

Olimar's custom neutral Bs make dash grab have no range so like...RIP.

Sheik's UP-B that spikes might as well not exist.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
this isnt DI, this is literally if you're not moving forward at a significant speed. If you're just out of hitstun, not moving, or moving backwards, your gaurd breaker will plummet you to your death. THIS ISNT A BUG, IT'S AN INTENDED FEATURE OF THE MOVE.
And many times you'd need to jolt haymaker back to the stage is when you're moving the wrong way off the stage. So you try and side B back - OOPS!!! you're using Guard Breaker and you just SDed.

I see absolutely no use of this move aside from it being able to be used slightly more aggressively. but it's already pretty unnecessary to use in the first place OUTSIDE of recovery due to little mac having much better grounded options.
DI correctly, Jump, airdodge, then SideB. Problem solved. You will reach the ledge because you have 9001 frames of armor unless your opponent has a windbox or a command grab. IT'S REALLY SIMPLE. Don't use it stupidly. Guard Breaker is an amazing move for Mac's recovery as it lets him actually recover against lingering hitboxes without risking getting baited from using Counter and still dying.

All the nonsense you are mentioning is stuff the player just needs to know, and NOT BE STUPID ABOUT.

Last edited:

Ikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smooth_Moonman
DI correctly, Jump, airdodge, then SideB. Problem solved. You will reach the ledge because you have 9001 frames of armor unless your opponent has a windbox or a command grab. IT'S REALLY SIMPLE. Don't use it stupidly. Guard Breaker is an amazing move for Mac's recovery as it lets him actually recover against lingering hitboxes without risking getting baited from using Counter and still dying.

All the nonsense you are mentioning is stuff the player just needs to know, and NOT BE STUPID ABOUT.
Because I'm sure StylesX2 was doing none of these, right?
also if someone takes your jump you are gimped much worse than you would be with jolt haymaker. not to mention as a move it is less applicable due to not being able to preemptively hit B a second time to punch earlier. and it CLEARLY has less horizontal distance than default jolt haymaker in the air since it dips at the end and is slower in the beginning, so even as a recovery move it covers a shorter distance.

honestly the momentum stopping mechanics are pretty damn critical and really should be paid attention to when picking this move.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Because I'm sure StylesX2 was doing none of these, right?
also if someone takes your jump you are gimped much worse than you would be with jolt haymaker. not to mention as a move it is less applicable due to not being able to preemptively hit B a second time to punch earlier. and it CLEARLY has less horizontal distance than default jolt haymaker in the air since it dips at the end and is slower in the beginning, so even as a recovery move it covers a shorter distance.

honestly the momentum stopping mechanics are pretty damn critical and really should be paid attention to when picking this move.
Who cares if you get hit out of your jump and your name is Little Mac? You are DEAD in that situation no matter what you run. Why are you bringing up stuff that is completely irrelevant?

As a good player you will save that **** until your opponent has expended certain options when they're trying to pressure you. Now, assuming you do GOOD RECOVERY FLOWCHART BASICS THAT APPLY TO ANYONE, Guard Breaker is by far a superior recovery move than default. You will NEVER encounter the momentum stop in a REAL situation if you aren't being really stupid and wasting resources unnecessarily. It's COMPLETELY irrelevant if you're any good at doing a BASIC recovery.

Last edited:

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
Who cares if you get hit out of your jump and your name is Little Mac? You are DEAD in that situation no matter what you run. Why are you bringing up stuff that is completely irrelevant?

As a good player you will save that **** until your opponent has expended certain options when they're trying to pressure you. Now, assuming you do GOOD RECOVERY FLOWCHART BASICS THAT APPLY TO ANYONE, Guard Breaker is by far a superior recovery move than default. You will NEVER encounter the momentum stop in a REAL situation if you aren't being really stupid and wasting resources unnecessarily. It's COMPLETELY irrelevant if you're any good at doing a BASIC recovery.
Why are you so angry?

Edit: A random thought: Ike's lack of multi hit moves means he has to be surprisingly respectful of Ryu's focus attack.

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
heavy turnips need to die in a fire
Caveat to my input being that I don't really use Peach, but Heavy Veggie gives me Weighted Header vibes (a custom I thought was bad until I played against it). Weighted Header is likely better in most circumstances since it doesn't require you to sacrifice general use of your aerials and is faster to prepare (and said preparation doesn't require a ground commitment). That said, Heavy Veggie gives the user slightly more flexibility in timing since item tosses are quick, and you can control the trajectory. Peach is also in a unique position to hold an item and still freely use aerials thanks to her float, which could create some very deadly traps when combined with Heavy Veggie.

Olimar's custom neutral Bs make dash grab have no range so like...RIP.
That seems strange, do you know why that is?

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Why are you so angry?

Edit: A random thought: Ike's lack of multi hit moves means he has to be surprisingly respectful of Ryu's focus attack.
Because we're literally talking Smash Bros Brawl Dojo 101 basics here. Stuff that people have known for four generations. And here we have a player that literally is demonstrating they don't know how a basic recovery works in spite of it being extremely publicly available knowledge.

Like god**** when Sakurai says "You Must Recover" all you literally have to do is follow those instructions before inputting Guard Breaker. PROBLEM SOLVED. You never, EVER need to encounter the momentum glitch if you just follow THE BASICS.

Last edited:

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
Because we're literally talking Smash Bros Brawl Dojo 101 basics here. Stuff that people have known for four generations. And here we have a player that literally is demonstrating they don't know how a basic recovery works in spite of it being extremely publicly available knowledge.

Like god**** when Sakurai says "You Must Recover" all you literally have to do is follow those instructions before inputting Guard Breaker. PROBLEM SOLVED. You never, EVER need to encounter the momentum glitch if you just follow THE BASICS.
There is never a time where getting angry on a forum isn't embarrassing, my friend.

I'm really digging Ike and Link's buffs. They're very solid now. Ike was solid before, but now he's legitimately good.

edit: completely random, but an area where Dr. Mario beats Mario is his victory screen poses.

Last edited:

Ikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smooth_Moonman

jesus christ someone's salty about something

ive recovered plenty of times without my second jump but in almost all of these i was headed the wrong way. if i was using guard breaker, I wouldn't have recovered any of these.

and guard breaker can not be superior since it has inferior range. it goes a shorter distance and forces you lower at the end. it's straight up bad.

dunno why you have to be aggressive, I know how to recover in this game. But guard breaker is straight up worse simply by its mechanics. It's still gimpable (ESPECIALLY if your opponent has a horizontal windboxed move) goes a shorter distance, forces you low at the end, and will force you to die if you use it when moving the wrong direction or out of hit stun. this is actually bad and you're actually wrong

Last edited:

Zelder

Smash Journeyman
I actually prefer Guard Breaker myself. I mean, you're not getting back on the stage if your opponent is paying attention, might as well improve your dominance on the ground.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
jesus christ someone's salty about something

ive recovered plenty of times without my second jump but in almost all of these i was headed the wrong way. if i was using guard breaker, I wouldn't have recovered any of these.

and guard breaker can not be superior since it has inferior range. it goes a shorter distance and forces you lower at the end. it's straight up bad.
Little Mac doesn't really need distance when recovering as long as he DIed correctly. He mostly needs mixups and safety, that's why everything you're mentioning is STRAIGHT UP IRRELEVANT. Like, seriously. Do you even play the game? Have you watched anyone play Mac? Mac's recovery sucks largely for being predictable and easily beaten by hitboxes. Let's get a few things straight.

1. You are much more likely to survive semi spikes with Guard Breaker because you actually can survive followup low edgeguards.
2. Guard breaker LETS YOU GRAB THE LEDGE FOR FREE
3. It's REALLY EASY to get in range for Guard Breaker especially when you have room to recover high
4. IT ONLY SUCKS AGAINST COMMAND GRABS AND WINDBOXES, which are uncommon

Guard Breaker is the better recovery move. It's not even a contest.

Last edited:

Ikes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smooth_Moonman
Little Mac doesn't really need distance when recovering as long as he DIed correctly. He mostly needs mixups and safety, that's why everything you're mentioning is STRAIGHT UP IRRELEVANT. Like, seriously. Do you even play the game? Have you watched anyone play Mac? Mac's recovery sucks largely for being predictable and easily beaten by hitboxes. Let's get a few things straight.

1. You are much more likely to survive semi spikes with Guard Breaker because you actually can survive followup low edgeguards.
2. Guard breaker LETS YOU GRAB THE LEDGE FOR FREE
3. It's REALLY EASY to get in range for Guard Breaker especially when you have room to recover high
4. IT ONLY SUCKS AGAINST COMMAND GRABS AND WINDBOXES, which are uncommon

Guard Breaker is the better recovery move. It's not even a contest.
Yes I do play the game. this move is actually bad. stop using ad hominem arguments to make yourself feel good.
it's super easy to be forced out of your second jump but still in a position where you can recover. This happens to me 90% of the time that I even need to recover, I often dont have my second jump for X valid reason. (and before you say "OH HURR DURR IT MUST BE BECAUSE YOU SUCK AND DONT PLAY THE GAME" you can just be quiet because that's an ad hominem argument and isnt actually valid) Though in these situations if I had guard breaker equipped I would be guaranteed to die unless I had the opporunity to go low and up B, though often this isnt the case due to his poor aerial acceleration and fairly fast fall speed. So my only option with Guard Breaker is to die or go low and die. If I had jolt haymaker I might actually live, because I dont get sucked into the lower blast zone AND i have more horizontal distance.

I actually prefer Guard Breaker myself. I mean, you're not getting back on the stage if your opponent is paying attention, might as well improve your dominance on the ground.
it still has the problem that you cant activate the attack early so it's still a bit less varied and provides fewer actual options, it just makes shielding users more afraid of the attack, but they can still jump over or, or in some cases, crouch under it. I mean I'm not arguing that it's a worse move, but I cant see it as "better" either since it has somewhat fewer applications but with the benefit of being able to counter shields.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Sword characters are buffed; safer and more consistent in their actions and realistically should be looking to make meta-impacts for this Northern Hemisphere Summer season. No one at high/top level were really maining these characters before, but anyone with them in their back pockets are going to be seeing significantly better results. Shoe in high tiers of old which are known for having sword issues in previous games could be seeing growing struggles: Mario, Luigi, Ness, Pikachu.
Heavy/long range characters have historically shown competent match ups with sword users; Bowser, Zard, DK, Ganon, Dedede are likely to find more meta relevance as their niches become more relevant.

Sheik, Zero Suit Samus and Rosalina are the near-universal gateway to viability characters right now, they're maintaining advantages on nearly all the buffed characters that they previously had, their kits/toolsets and rewards are just that strong.
Luigi hype has settled; his match ups with a lot of the cast got worse in 1.08 for sure with the amount of buffs going on, fireballs lack of safety on-hit has settled in a bit. He currently has the Brawl-Dedede factor with customs off, for match ups he has advantages in, he is abusing and annihilating them without much recourse.

We're finally going to start seeing national-level tournaments with customs legal. Now is the time to be at least a little open to swaying on opinions here. Or [not trying to start an argument] becoming comfortable with the seemingly wider-growing consensus that customs off should be the tournament standard after Evo.

We have 100% confirmation future characters are coming, and I doubt more balance changes won't come along with them. If I'm to assume design paradigms within the development team we're able to see revitalization of weaker perceived characters with not just simple number buffs (something we were almost only seeing for the first few patches) but rather mechanic changes. These are producing newer and exciting scenarios and things to discover, changes match ups and overall increases character and game depth.

Low tiers are still going to exist. It's fine; be content, continue to develop metas for them, it's safe to assume in the medium term it'll be worthwhile. And if not graced with love, it's something to remember that low tiers also need to exist (especially when low/mid level gameplay needs to be considered for balance), and unfortunately the gatekeepers are going to be there to likely define them as such. Don't take this an excuse, take this as making the competitive commitment to a secondary once you've mastered a character / feel you're only held back by match ups (otherwise there's much to learn still).

- Smash 4 WiiU Meta 20XV Summer Season I. The next 2-3 months are going to be awesome.
I wish my multi-month semiannual trips to the US was now instead of Winter, but "life" and it will all work out anyway =)

Last edited:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Yes, let's extinguish flames with gasoline shall we?

Anyways, why does pikachu lose to Ike? I hear it a lot, but don't understand why.
Pre-patch, Ike had these issues with Pikachu:

-Ike's spacing gets interrupted/punished by quick attack
-Pikachu occasionally ducks under jab and grab
-Ike may have issues landing at low-mid %
-Ike could get combo'd and trapped easily

Even with these weaknesses, Ike still had only a minor disadvantage at most and had a decent chance for it to be even.

-dtilt could easily punish attacks and lead to a fair for ~21%
-grab reward is still good, leading to a fair or nair for ~21%
-Jab is still annoying for pikachu to deal with
-Mixing up sideB and aether makes it annoying for Pikachu to edgeguard
-He's so heavy that he won't be dying until really late while Pikachu can die much earlier.

Prepatch Ike really just had trouble getting punished whenever he whiffed attacks and tried to space against Pikachu. Overall, the damage was decent enough once the Ike finally landed hits/grabs, though.

Now, reduced landing lag on aerials with fixed hitboxes now allow Ike to just challenge and space around quick attack more, and allow for easier combos as well. Increased speed of jab2 coming out now makes the use of jab safer as a ground spacing tool. Dtilt and grabs still have a lot of reward. SideB coming out sooner just aids recovery mixups that much more. Dash attack and ftilt changes add 2 more viable random killing moves. Pika has to work hard in securing early kills, or it's just going to be a pain for him. Many of Pika's kills are read-based, so getting hard punished now isn't so great for him.

Quick attack still disrupts his spacing and the disjointedness of dtilt, utilt, and uair are still great tools, but Pika just has to be much more careful since Ike can keep up in 1 hit for every 2-3 of Pika's. Also, the new hitbox of fair makes thunder jolt in the air more dangerous since all of Ike's aerials and dash attack just goes right through it.

I could definitely see Ike having the advantage, but I'm wary that the counterplay at high-top levels just makes it even or something. Ike shouldn't have any issues with custom pikachu, either. Close combat helps avoid landing traps into heavy skull bash. Close combat can also go through projectiles. Pika also dies if he's hit by tempest during quick attack offstage.

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
@ NachoOfCheese NachoOfCheese Even if he was a middleweight, his floaty nature would just negate that. Samus can be KO'd relatively early off the top despite being a heavyweight, and it's all due to her floaty nature. (I KO'd a Samus at 50% on FG with Rage as Ganondorf with D-Spec. Hooray for trying to combo Ganondorf.)

But yes, Mewtwo is just underwhelming with his light weight and floaty nature. If it was less floaty and a middleweight, akin to Lucario, it'd definitely be higher. But since it's not that way, one can only dream...or play Project M. One of the two.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
Sword characters are buffed; safer and more consistent in their actions and realistically should be looking to make meta-impacts for this Northern Hemisphere Summer season. No one at high/top level were really maining these characters before, but anyone with them in their back pockets are going to be seeing significantly better results. Shoe in high tiers of old which are known for having sword issues in previous games could be seeing growing struggles: Mario, Luigi, Ness, Pikachu.
Heavy/long range characters have historically shown competent match ups with sword users; Bowser, Zard, DK, Ganon, Dedede are likely to find more meta relevance as their niches become more relevant.

Sheik, Zero Suit Samus and Rosalina are the near-universal gateway to viability characters right now, they're maintaining advantages on nearly all the buffed characters that they previously had, their kits/toolsets and rewards are just that strong.
Luigi hype has settled; his match ups with a lot of the cast got worse in 1.08 for sure with the amount of buffs going on, fireballs lack of safety on-hit has settled in a bit. He currently has the Brawl-Dedede factor with customs off, for match ups he has advantages in, he is abusing and annihilating them without much recourse.

We're finally going to start seeing national-level tournaments with customs legal. Now is the time to be at least a little open to swaying on opinions here. Or [not trying to start an argument] becoming comfortable with the seemingly wider-growing consensus that customs off should be the tournament standard after Evo.

We have 100% confirmation future characters are coming, and I doubt more balance changes won't come along with them. If I'm to assume design paradigms within the development team we're able to see revitalization of weaker perceived characters with not just simple number buffs (something we were almost only seeing for the first few patches) but rather mechanic changes. These are producing newer and exciting scenarios and things to discover, changes match ups and overall increases character and game depth.

Low tiers are still going to exist. It's fine; be content, continue to develop metas for them, it's safe to assume in the medium term it'll be worthwhile. And if not graced with love, it's something to remember that low tiers also need to exist (especially when low/mid level gameplay needs to be considered for balance), and unfortunately the gatekeepers are going to be there to likely define them as such. Don't take this an excuse, take this as making the competitive commitment to a secondary once you've mastered a character / feel you're only held back by match ups (otherwise there's much to learn still).
Random person: what's competitive Smash 4 all about?
- Smash 4 WiiU Meta 20XV Summer Season I. The next 2-3 months are going to be awesome.
I wish my multi-month semiannual trips to the US was now instead of Winter, but "life" and it will all work out anyway =)
Random person: what's competitive Smash 4 all about?
Me: ^^^that^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom