• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
can someone explain to me how ganon and mk are so low and why mii brawler is in high tier when he's 1111?

brawler is so ****ing bad with vanilla moves

also what actually makes shulk harder than peach wtf

Last edited:

David Viran

Smash Lord
Kirby mains that also enjoy Falcn dittos?!
If your defensive option is "duck under needles so she's forced to approach, also you have an uptilt with sword properties so you can beat her approach" then nah it's not a bad idea. If your defensive option is "shield" and you don't have an amazing out of shield option, yeah it's kinda bad.

Btw one thing I forgot to mention in the ZSS:Sheik comparison, is that Sheik's faster fall speed makes her get absolutely wrecked by certain combos, while ZSS gets out of them really easily.
I found out according to that survival rankings thread that zss has better overall survival capabilities when hit to kill than sheik even though sheik is heavier.

Ulevo

Smash Master
*Raises hand*

I don't like his jab tho
His jab is fine with the exception of the rapid jab 3 hitbox size. It's the lack of recovery frames on certain moves or actions that should be unsafe that make his jab so good. Have you ever tried to punish Falcon for doing a forward roll, or a whiffed up smash or down smash?

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
Change of pace since we praise our own characters a lot: who has the worst grab and throw games? And the worst of these:

Neutral?
Advantage?
Disadvantage?
Jab?
Tilts?
Smashes?
Aerials?
Default Specials?
Customs Specials?
Overall Specials?
Edgeguarding?
Recovery?
Defensive play?
Offensive play?
Kill options?
Rage?

I feel negative today. :p
Oh this is interesting
imo maybe...
Neutral- Zelda
Advantage- Samus
Disadvantage- Bowser
Jab- Diddy
Tilts- Palutena
Smashes- Duck Hunt (Jiggs and Zelda too)
Aerials- Little Mac lel
Default Specials- Little Mac, Kirby, Dedede, Falcon, Ganon idk
Custom Specials- (Mewtwo) but then Dedede
Overall Specials- Dedede I guess
Edge Guarding- Little Mac (he only can to like 5 characters lol)
Recovery- Little Mac ofc
Defensive play- depends on the MU (if I played Duck Hunt I'd say someone like Ganon, cause he generally doesn't want to approach but projectiles force approaches)
Offensive play- For glory little macs lol
Kill options- Duck Hunt
Rage- jiggs I guess? Sheik doesnt like the mechanic either but jiggs is lightest
Oh and grab and throw too?
Grab- ZSS's has the most lag, right? Or Pac-Man's? Greninja has a surprisingly bad one too.
Hmm Little Mac and Ganon have bad range also
There's a lot of characters that struggle to get follow ups (Villager, Link, Kirby) idk
Throws- Little Mac, none kill or combo as far as I know
Grab and throws- yea I guess Mac... Again
What a weird character

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
I don't think it's a terrible tier list considering it's community voted.

My main gripes with this list:
  • Mii Brawler being where they are without access to Uppercut, Feint Jump and Heli Kick (probably just people not understanding what "no customs" mean...)
  • Bit too low: :4pikachu:, :4tlink:, :4metaknight: (might be biased :chuckle:) and :4dk:
  • Bit too high: :4jigglypuff:, :4gaw:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Let's nerf this characters kill power that was never intended or indeed designed around kill power. In fact she has all the tools in the world to negate not having kill power, but let's keep nerfing those kill moves anyway, and never ever touch her neutral game tools. That will DEFINITELY make her more balanced.

Nintendo wtf
Optional: Rant of the day below.
What about Luigi's Fireball? Or how if Falco's default Blaster functioned similarly to Rosalina's Shooting Star Bit or functioned at all besides making Triple D's Gordos look bad which isn't saying much, we'd actually have a decent, but not annoying projectile spammer like in Brawl or Melee. Hell, let's let him auto-cancel Blaster like in Melee, do you think he can pull the same **** like in Melee or freaking Brawl? Hell no. It would at least let him cover his approach or cover himself in general. You could let Fox auto-cancel his default Blaster too and it wouldn't mean much cause his Blaster since 64 doesn't stun, travel the entire length of Final Destination, and was able to shoot twice in the air. The fact it doesn't stun already made his Blaster not a freaking load of BS like in Brawl and even in 64, it still wasn't a BS projectile like Falco's in Brawl or Sheik's in SSB4 and I would even say Luigi's, but that's because it's pathetic when your projectile can barely say it's better than Gordos and here's the thing: Gordo's are more versatile and they can be treated as a projectile and a trap, so Falco's Blaster is already worst than Triple D's Gordos in terms of function, versatility, and how it flows with his kit.

There's a difference between functional and useful. Falco's Blaster is functional, but it's not useful when compared to Sheik, Rosalina, Luigi, Link, Duck Hint, or any character with a projectile. Dr. Mario's Pills are functional and useful as it helps his game without noticeable drawbacks like really stupid end lag and little reward and huge risk. Luigi can fire 2-3 Fireballs and weave in and out; Falco so much as shoots and someone with decent mobility is already there to shove their fist through his head or if you're Ganondorf, you can just tank them and laugh at who's below you now.

Who the heck enjoys fighting against Captain Falcon?
Captain Falcon dittos are fun. :p

Anyway, I don't remember Brawl, but what was Sheik's Needles like in Brawl? I know you couldn't store them in Melee (and PM), but you could in Brawl. Were they just as annoying or was there something like shorter range, more end lag, etc. that made them less annoying?

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Not gonna pretend he's high tier or anything but Charizard is nowhere near as low as he always is on these lists.

Baffles me that the other heavies are typically far above him.

oldkingcroz

Smash Apprentice
Optional: Rant of the day below.
What about Luigi's Fireball? Or how if Falco's default Blaster functioned similarly to Rosalina's Shooting Star Bit or functioned at all besides making Triple D's Gordos look bad which isn't saying much, we'd actually have a decent, but not annoying projectile spammer like in Brawl or Melee. Hell, let's let him auto-cancel Blaster like in Melee, do you think he can pull the same **** like in Melee or freaking Brawl? Hell no. It would at least let him cover his approach or cover himself in general. You could let Fox auto-cancel his default Blaster too and it wouldn't mean much cause his Blaster since 64 doesn't stun, travel the entire length of Final Destination, and was able to shoot twice in the air. The fact it doesn't stun already made his Blaster not a freaking load of BS like in Brawl and even in 64, it still wasn't a BS projectile like Falco's in Brawl or Sheik's in SSB4 and I would even say Luigi's, but that's because it's pathetic when your projectile can barely say it's better than Gordos and here's the thing: Gordo's are more versatile and they can be treated as a projectile and a trap, so Falco's Blaster is already worst than Triple D's Gordos in terms of function, versatility, and how it flows with his kit.

There's a difference between functional and useful. Falco's Blaster is functional, but it's not useful when compared to Sheik, Rosalina, Luigi, Link, Duck Hint, or any character with a projectile. Dr. Mario's Pills are functional and useful as it helps his game without noticeable drawbacks like really stupid end lag and little reward and huge risk. Luigi can fire 2-3 Fireballs and weave in and out; Falco so much as shoots and someone with decent mobility is already there to shove their fist through his head or if you're Ganondorf, you can just tank them and laugh at who's below you now.

Captain Falcon dittos are fun. :p

Anyway, I don't remember Brawl, but what was Sheik's Needles like in Brawl? I know you couldn't store them in Melee (and PM), but you could in Brawl. Were they just as annoying or was there something like shorter range, more end lag, etc. that made them less annoying?
I thought you could store needles by pressing shield after you get max capacity needles? I'm pretty sure you can.

ElectricBlade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haruhisuzumia
3DS FC
1203-9228-7596
And to be honest, I quiet think that those Tier Lists are uninteresting for now.
Given that a clear S tier is hard to define...
Exactly, customs haven't been fully explored yet, and the people that have explored them don't get a more important vote then people who haven't. So its pretty much a speculation list

can someone explain to me how ganon and mk are so low and why mii brawler is in high tier when he's 1111?

also what actually makes shulk harder than peach wtf
Because there's pretty much zero people playing MK sadly, so people just sleep on him. Though there seems to be more MK's popping up recently. I'm pretty sure Peach and Shulk have an even skill cap, since they both have some interesting Advanced techs to them

Last edited by a moderator:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I thought you could store needles by pressing shield after you get max capacity needles? I'm pretty sure you can.
It's been a while since a played Melee and I didn't mess with PM Sheik enough. Still, how does her Needles compare to past games or is this just something that was always like this, but people have less options against them now? I mean, Melee Ganondorf could move somewhat quicker and probably would not have much of a problem compared to current Ganondorf's dash speed.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
I always find myself wondering how people forget Ganondorf's U-Smash has IASA frames after the impact of the kick, making it the actual fastest U-Smash in the game. The attack can set up mind games in neutral, letting your opponent's guard come down most of the times; this can allow for you to use F-Tilt, D-Tilt, F-Smash and D-Smash (most recommended of the few) when they do.

Due to its speed (which is about as fast as Jabs in this game), it's also one of the few (if not the only) U-Smashes that can combo into itself, linking up to an absurd amount of damage, almost at 50%. If you connect two U-Smashes, then a combo will be very easy to perform with U-Air.

This attack can also lead up into dangerous combos and is also very dangerous to get above; one, it can lead into a U-Smash > U-Air combo easily, and two, its sweetspot is on the top, allowing him to KO at very early percents. So if you're caught in the air by it, chances are you won't be going good any time soon.

It's his safest option in Neutral, thanks to the mind game he can bestow upon the opponent, the high damage it gives off, combo ability and overall the speed. It's a safe attack when blocked by the opponent, no less.

I'm not making it up or exaggerating this; this all came from testing and obvious knowledge. There isn't any U-Smash that's faster and as lagless as Ganondorf's. It has a tiny amount of start up lag, but no end lag thanks to the IASA frames upon the peak of the attack.

ElPanandero

Smash Lord
NNID
ElPanandero
I don't think it's a terrible tier list considering it's community voted.

My main gripes with this list:
  • Mii Brawler being where they are without access to Uppercut, Feint Jump and Heli Kick (probably just people not understanding what "no customs" mean...)
  • Bit too low: :4pikachu:, :4tlink:, :4metaknight: (might be biased :chuckle:) and :4dk:
  • Bit too high: :4jigglypuff:, :4gaw:
Ouch, can't even get away with C+ tier :sadeyes:

ElectricBlade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haruhisuzumia
3DS FC
1203-9228-7596
Nah that's Jigglypuff, its hard to distinguish the 3 puff balls.
Sad that the puffs aren't played that much in this game.

I always find myself wondering how people forget Ganondorf's U-Smash has IASA frames after the impact of the kick, making it the actual fastest U-Smash in the game. The attack can set up mind games in neutral, letting your opponent's guard come down most of the times; this can allow for you to use F-Tilt, D-Tilt, F-Smash and D-Smash (most recommended of the few) when they do.

Due to its speed (which is about as fast as Jabs in this game), it's also one of the few (if not the only) U-Smashes that can combo into itself, linking up to an absurd amount of damage, almost at 50%. If you connect two U-Smashes, then a combo will be very easy to perform with U-Air.

This attack can also lead up into dangerous combos and is also very dangerous to get above; one, it can lead into a U-Smash > U-Air combo easily, and two, its sweetspot is on the top, allowing him to KO at very early percents. So if you're caught in the air by it, chances are you won't be going good any time soon.

It's his safest option in Neutral, thanks to the mind game he can bestow upon the opponent, the high damage it gives off, combo ability and overall the speed. It's a safe attack when blocked by the opponent, no less.

I'm not making it up or exaggerating this; this all came from testing and obvious knowledge. There isn't any U-Smash that's faster and as lagless as Ganondorf's. It has a tiny amount of start up lag, but no end lag thanks to the IASA frames upon the peak of the attack.

At what percent does U-smash combo into U-air for Ganon? That seems really cool

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
Change of pace since we praise our own characters a lot: who has the worst grab and throw games? And the worst of these:

Neutral?
Advantage?
Disadvantage?
Jab?
Tilts?
Smashes?
Aerials?
Default Specials?
Customs Specials?
Overall Specials?
Edgeguarding?
Recovery?
Defensive play?
Offensive play?
Kill options?
Rage?

I feel negative today. :p
neutral- :4zelda:,:4dedede:

advantage- there's no character who's actually bad in advantage really so i have no clue.

disadvantage- :4bowser:,:4dedede:

jab- :4diddy:,:4zelda:,:4samus:

tilts- :4palutena:

smashes- :4duckhunt:,:4zelda:

aerials- :4wiremac: (lol)

default specials- :4falcon:, :4jigglypuff:(no one mentioned this?)

customs- :4jigglypuff:,:4dedede:

overall specials- :4jigglypuff:,:4falcon:,:4dedede:

edgeguarding- :4littlemac: i guess

recovery- :4drmario:.:4littlemac:.:4duckhunt:.:4ganondorf:

defense- :4dedede:

offensive- :4zelda:,:4zelda:,:4zelda:

kill options- :4sheik:,:4bowserjr:,:4duckhunt:,:4gaw:

rage- :4sheik:

grabs- :4pacman: (bad grab, not throws), :4samus:,:4robinf:,:4villagerf:,:4yoshi:

Last edited:

andimidna

Smash Master
Idk if 1111 Mii Brawler is actually being overrated here, dapuffster has shown a lot of great combos and ability to play neutral without using custom specials. They're really just there for killing and recovery. Also I don't believe there's any rules yet against small thin miis even without customs, so that crazy mobility needs to be considered. Idk that dthrow fair ff reset is scary, and doesn't require customs. And if he's all damage and combos but lacking in kill power and recovery than his disadvantages shouldn't put him multiple tiers below Mario, right?

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Why exactly were Mii Fighters on a customs off lists to begin with? Aren't they banned in customs off?
Some non-custom tournaments allow Miis with the 1111 sets.

Idk if 1111 Mii Brawler
People, you need to remember there are plenty of advocates that say even with customs off Miis should be able to use their moves since THEY STILL WORK WHEN YOU TURN CUSTOMS OFF. So there's a good enough chance that people still thought they'd have their moves on this list.

Blueberry Kong

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DKbill
Pikachu mains and FG players who hate "spammers" and "campy play"

Also, given the placement of Brawler im gonna assume that many voters did not realize this was a customs off list.
They did know it was customs off, it's just that everyone thinks Mii Fighters can use any moveset, even with customs off, which they should IMO, but for this tier list, they all use 1111 so they're all **** tier imo

Thoughts on this tier list (ignoring Mii Fighters since people are dumb):

- Bowser Jr. needs to go up (Tweek has proved that), I'd say above Mewtwo
- Little Mac should go up (MVD has proved that), I'd say above Kirby
- Palutena should move up (Nairo has proved that), I'd say above Ganon
- Wii Fit Trainer is hella underrated, I'd put her right behind where I'd put Palutena

andimidna

Smash Master
People, you need to remember there are plenty of advocates that say even with customs off Miis should be able to use their moves since THEY STILL WORK WHEN YOU TURN CUSTOMS OFF. So there's a good enough chance that people still thought they'd have their moves on this list.
Idk if 1111 Mii Brawler
is actually being overrated here
Lol I was agreeing with the list. In fact, I was bored last night and even voted for it lel
You're welcome Brawler, Peach, and Wario mains
...well not really but yea I think they're underrated even without customs

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
At least I will agree a bit that :4sonic: lost some presence without his Bthrow easy kills. Now it reminds more like Brawl Sonic.
But for one character Im ok with in this tier list, ten more characters I violently disagree (:4charizard:). Curse you public opinion different from mine!.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Playing a Sonic yesterday made me realize how much I appreciate that BThrow nerf

But it was customs, and he was using Hammer Spindash. I hate that move.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Idk if 1111 Mii Brawler is actually being overrated here, dapuffster has shown a lot of great combos and ability to play neutral without using custom specials. They're really just there for killing and recovery. Also I don't believe there's any rules yet against small thin miis even without customs, so that crazy mobility needs to be considered. Idk that dthrow fair ff reset is scary, and doesn't require customs. And if he's all damage and combos but lacking in kill power and recovery than his disadvantages shouldn't put him multiple tiers below Mario, right?
What good are combos if you can't kill? No offense, but KOing your opponent in this game is kind of the most important thing, and if you can't do that, what good are you?

1111 Mii Brawler cannot kill you in the air, his only kill move was b-air which killed at 140%, but that got nerfed now so it takes even LONGER to kill with. He has onslaught which will kill at around 115% but it has a slow start up and its terribly unsafe on shields. F-smash comes out on frame 17 and frame 17 alone so you already know how terrible that move is, his d-smash is weak and his up-smash is the only decent one killing around 120%. None of his throws will kill either, so sitting in shield and staying in the air against 1111 mii brawler he won't be able to kill you.

Losing helicopter kick it also heavily reduces your damage output, as you can end all of those f-air chains you spoke of with a 17% damaging attack fresh, you lose a god like OoS option too. Without feint jump his recovery becomes borderline terrible, especially with Axe kick which let me remind you, does NOT autosnap to the ledge, meaning you can just d-smash him for free when he recovers.

2122/2132 Mii Brawler is good because his moveset heavily aids him in effectively using Helicopter Kick or Piston Punch. N-air leads into grab which leads into the Up B, thats what makes him a top tier character. Get rid of the last part and then grabbing suddenly becomes useless, which means n-air suddenly becomes useless. He no longer has a gameplan and he's just a killer bee who has lost his stinger and his wings, he's nothing.

Literally at that point you're just better of playing Little Mac whos already bad to begin with imo.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
At what percent does U-smash combo into U-air for Ganon? That seems really cool
It can combo around 10% to 25% damage, with rage off. Timing isn't strict unless the opponent air dodges. Your opponent needs to respect Ganondorf whenever U-Smash comes up. You'll never know what may happen.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
ABSOLUTE SUPER HEAVY OPINIONATED POST BELOW. Have fun. :p

This is going to sound shock horror... But I actually think the community tier list isn't that bad. BOOM!

Guys we need to stop assuming the tier list is invalidated by the fact it's made by a community. We all know the list wasn't meant to be anything official and was merely meant to gauge public opinion. And from the sounds of it... the community is learning. I think we'd be more productive if we at least tried to engage with these lists.

Charizard is the obvious outlier here, but with that aside there's not too many positions on this list I would freak out about. Most characters are somewhat decently placed in terms of what tier they're in and it becomes more about where they are in their individual tiers. Don't get me wrong, there are definitely characters that need to move tiers but mooooost of it isn't based on wild assumptions and speculation.

In fact, I think this tier list outlines a pretty good barrier between high and top tier, actually. From what I think, our top tier is about 14/15 characters. The characters that stick out the worst to me are :4charizard: :4bowserjr: :4metaknight: and :4miigun: (also :4pit: and :4darkpit: being in separate tiers :grin: ), and then the rest are probably actually not too far off where they could possibly be based on a viable human perception.

I'm actually really impressed by how well the list was done from the community aside from those 4 or 5 big outliers.

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
People think falcon is fun to fight because he usually brings 'hype'. Reality is that he plays like a ******.
You can play "lame" and safe with Falcon as he has a good neutral for that, but it's not usually very effective. Falcon has to stretch his advantages as far as he can by conditioning, making reads and taking risks because his tools are designed to put the opponent into a bad situation and then finish them off when they select the wrong defensive option. His disadvantage is also probably the worst in the game so any decent character can wreck him the same way in return. The combination makes matches between Falcon and any other speedy or CQC character more fast paced than other MUs in the game on average, and it's the reason why so many people enjoy Falcon dittos and have him as a pocket character.

EDIT: Also yeah the reddit tier list's top 25 looks amazingly accurate. Mario should be higher though and Shulk and MK should be straight up switched around.

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
So like, I keep seeing Toon Link right above Link and I've never understood that. TL has a much better time in Smash 4. For one, his mobility lets him actually camp, and more reliably set up combos/kills off of bombs. Link is too slow to wall out most of the cast. Both have poor grabs, but at least TL has a pretty good kill throw. I've seen what Izaw can do with Link and it's impressive, but I'm still not convinced the character is any good. At the very least, I think the gap should be a bit bigger. Toon Link is likely B or B+ tier, but Link is B/B- at best imo.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So like, I keep seeing Toon Link right above Link and I've never understood that. TL has a much better time in Smash 4. For one, his mobility lets him actually camp, and more reliably set up combos/kills off of bombs. Link is too slow to wall out most of the cast. Both have poor grabs, but at least TL has a pretty good kill throw. I've seen what Izaw can do with Link and it's impressive, but I'm still not convinced the character is any good. At the very least, I think the gap should be a bit bigger. Toon Link is likely B or B+ tier, but Link is B/B- at best imo.
Link doesn't necessarily try to keep people out, he uses his projectiles to goad them into coming closer
where he can use his powerful disjointed attacks to destroy them. Toon Link hardly has the disjoints or defensive
game Link has but his mobility lets him capitalize off his slower projectiles more often, hence a "campier" playstyle.

The pig-keeper

Smash Cadet
I always find myself wondering how people forget Ganondorf's U-Smash has IASA frames after the impact of the kick, making it the actual fastest U-Smash in the game.
I might sound dumb or lazy to check it out but, what does IASA mean ?

Because, it chocked me to read that Ganondorf has the fastest U-smash.. Not that I am in doubt, but those legs...

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I might sound dumb or lazy to check it out but, what does IASA mean ?

Because, it chocked me to read that Ganondorf has the fastest U-smash.. Not that I am in doubt, but those legs...
Interruptible as soon as frames.
You can immediately act out of it during that time with an attack before the full animation ends

Last edited:

ElectricBlade

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haruhisuzumia
3DS FC
1203-9228-7596
It can combo around 10% to 25% damage, with rage off. Timing isn't strict unless the opponent air dodges. Your opponent needs to respect Ganondorf whenever U-Smash comes up. You'll never know what may happen.
Ah okay! I'm definitely gonna try and incorporate this!

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
So I watched mr. Concon vs Zero. A couple of things stuck out to me one was the lack of customs. Two Zero was still doing dthrow uair. Would've been nice to see something a bit different from different. I did FF through the set a little wanted to see the sheik play so maybe he switched it up in the games I didn't.

When he switched to sheik it hardly seemed fair.......

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
About IASA frames:

Pretty much every move in the game has them to some degree. Basically, if you do an attack and don't do anything else, your character will return to a normal standing position. Part of that animation isn't really considered "necessary" and can be acted out of freely. It's a way to make animations look smoother without sacrificing game speed.

On most attacks, it's not very notable, but yeah, Ganon's U-smash and Mewtwo's D-smash have insane IASA frames. There's nothing I love more than baiting with U-smash and watching as the other character sprints full speed into Ganon's F-tilt.

Also, I think Jigglypuff is the most underrepresented character right now, along with maybe Robin, though in Jiggly's case it kind of had to do with Diddy, so that might change now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom