• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I swear Ffamran, how in the world do you manage to find the best videos of every character in the game? Does Falco just lay video-eggs for you?

Joking aside, while Fox is like, lightweight-combo-food man, I'm curious how reliable that combo is. Does it only work on easily comboable characters like fox?
I just go to Youtube, search "ssb4 falco" and set the filter to upload date or just go through the pages. As for the D-throw to Uair grab reset, Triple D doesn't actually hit MightGalo's Fox and baits the air dodge or whatever to grab him again. Someone's going to wise up to that or just take the hit rather than deal with that shenanigan. So, it's probably not reliable, but we've seen stupid stuff work like Chudat... Oh, Chudat. :p

Lavani's explanation:
Grabbing the Gordo reflect attempts is cute, but with no grab armor in sm4sh it only really worked because his opponent was using an actual reflector instead of an active hitbox for the job.

I have no idea why he kept going for uair after the low percent dthrows and I'm even less sure why his opponent was airdodging instead of nairing or something. dthrow>ff uair is a "chaingrab" (with frame advantage for the victim hurr) but after the first whiff I would've just gone for fair or RAR bair instead, he really just lucked out that his opponent didn't handle the situation well.
Just remember Diddy can see Gale strike since the Smash 64 and can just block it and punish you for it.

@ Ffamran Ffamran should search for Swordfighter vids
Would you like some French Kirby and Fox gameplay instead? :p

Well, there's this video of I have no idea what that MSF is and a bootleg, sword-wielding Ganondorf MSF: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZfbgnopjmE.

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
Slash Launcher's decent if you pull it out at zero charge. Kind of weird that all of Sword's applicable 'get off me' moves just sorta pop the enemy straight up. I mean fairing them is alright and all but air dodges are a thing. (And let's be real a good opponent will, sadly, never get killed by uair in spite of how strong a kill move it is)
Bait and Auto Cancel. You got to learn to bait and autocancel the Upair. Remember the hit box extend around his shoulder. You can approach with Upair if you want ( though that is very silly).

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
I think the other mii sword fighter is a derpy link.

Also, Ganon using projectiles? This is a disgrace to the king of evil! Ganon does not plink away from a distance. He fights up and close so his opponents can kneel before him before being sentenced to the nether realms!

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Does it bother anyone else that Swordfighter's cape is Down B and not Side B? Every other move taken from other characters at least matches their inputs. I just feel like being able to walk while throwing out capes would be so much nicer for Sword.

Maybe set C-stick to specials?
That would be nice not like im using Side b for that much anyways.
I think the other mii sword fighter is a derpy link.

Also, Ganon using projectiles? This is a disgrace to the king of evil! Ganon does not plink away from a distance. He fights up and close so his opponents can kneel before him before being sentenced to the nether realms!
It's Finn the human.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Gale Strike seems to shield poke after a bit of pressure, and if used correctly they'll be too far way to punish you. Or you can condition them with multiple Gales and run in to grab them if you're feeling risky (don't do this very often).
Wot. You never have to shield Gale strike. The thing takes forever to recover from. You can dash, jump air dodge and Nair sword fighter before he can do jack squat with probably a third of the cast. The rest of them will just grab him. Not that it isn't unsafe as **** on shield and easy to power shield

irokex13

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Irokex21
I'd just like to point out that while the Villager Counter Timber camp hate is pretty intense right now, completely denying or ignoring the power of said strategy is equally foolish. I recall the time when ZeRo wanted to ban Diddy Kong and just like now, everyone thought he was complaining and every argument ended up as "git gud". As I am sure most of you recall, he then proceeded to main Diddy and dominated every tournament he entered with this character.

Top players don't want to ban things because they are afraid the strategy will be used against them, because as we have seen before, they will just optimize the strategy of said thing and WILL use the strategy to win. All I really took from M2K's tweets is that he didn't want to see Smash 4 turn into a camp fest, and that is a legitimate fear. It IS scary to see someone place 5th in a tournament with a character that they do not use.

A lot of times this thread uses really basic or outright bad arguments against the power of top tiers. Remember when it was just "gimp Diddy" or "Sheik can't kill"? People will say "lol adapt" as a strategy to beat a character, then proceed to watch said character dominate or still achieve solid results. Top players are top players for a reason. They know the counter-strategies for their playstyles and have practiced ways to handle it.

While I am not saying that I want to ban custom moves or anything, I do think this thread needs to more carefully address the concerns for custom moves if we want them to be implemented into the meta, because custom moves are new and scary to a lot of players. Honestly, at this rate, I don't see them being legal by the end of this year if intelligent discussion on the potency of custom moves doesn't develop past "lol git gud".

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I'd just like to point out that while the Villager Counter Timber camp hate is pretty intense right now, completely denying or ignoring the power of said strategy is equally foolish. I recall the time when ZeRo wanted to ban Diddy Kong and just like now, everyone thought he was complaining and every argument ended up as "git gud". As I am sure most of you recall, he then proceeded to main Diddy and dominated every tournament he entered with this character.

Top players don't want to ban things because they are afraid the strategy will be used against them, because as we have seen before, they will just optimize the strategy of said thing and WILL use the strategy to win. All I really took from M2K's tweets is that he didn't want to see Smash 4 turn into a camp fest, and that is a legitimate fear. It IS scary to see someone place 5th in a tournament with a character that they do not use.

A lot of times this thread uses really basic or outright bad arguments against the power of top tiers. Remember when it was just "gimp Diddy" or "Sheik can't kill"? People will say "lol adapt" as a strategy to beat a character, then proceed to watch said character dominate or still achieve solid results. Top players are top players for a reason. They know the counter-strategies for their playstyles and have practiced ways to handle it.

While I am not saying that I want to ban custom moves or anything, I do think this thread needs to more carefully address the concerns for custom moves if we want them to be implemented into the meta, because custom moves are new and scary to a lot of players. Honestly, at this rate, I don't see them being legal by the end of this year if intelligent discussion on the potency of custom moves doesn't develop past "lol git gud".
You're right, but I will say that I did drop some insight vs TC and a few others have dropped some as well.
I just don't want to see such an amazing tool be taken from Villager so early when we still don't know about the play-conter play dynamics yet.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie

1. It was Day 1 of this strategy being unveiled in the public eye (even if some regions have been playing against custom Villager for months). Players adapted on the fly to ADHD's gimmickry far faster than the world at large adapted to Diddy Kong in months of play. He exploited many of the tournament-goers' unfamiliarity with customs Villager.
2. M2K is known for knee-jerk strongly opinionated tweets.
3. I am denying that it's a strong strategy. I'd like to see ADHD pull this off again.
4. An element of a game can be unfair and remain unbanned.
5. We say "lol adapt" because it's a constant truth in multiplayer games. Strong strategies are discovered, counter-strategies to those strategies are discovered, the original strategy becomes dominant again, a strategy that trumps both strategies appears, etc. etc. etc.
Very, very little actually needs to be banned in any game.

But you know what? I'd actually like to see this thread focus on some custom Villager counter-strats. Both sides are moaning endlessly about out-of-game solutions, let's focus on what we have.

Zelda theoretically does well against this custom set. Bowser Jr., ZSS, Mii Brawler, and Pikachu all have the tools they need to conquer it, as demonstrated at KTAR. Mario has Scalding Fludd to shoot Villager on the ledge with little risk. Windbox moves can exploit Villager's helpless state when his Balloons are popped.

I'll be starting my Custom Spotlights on this Villager set in a week or so.

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere

Daaaamn, making so much sense that I almost felt compelled to change my username. +1

We need to talk about what we're going to do to deal with this strategy, yes. How is everyone planning to beat this with his/her own character?

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I'd actually like to see this thread focus on some custom Villager counter-strats.
It was posted ages ago. People just want to complain about complainers.

With that I'll respectfully step out of this thread. Just hearing everyone saying "get better" is the equivalent of missing the point, and there's no point to being part of that. When we move on to something productive, maybe it'll be worth stepping back in.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
In regards to custom moves: If a specific character or custom move becomes dominant, start pushing for sets for your characters that have custom moves that can potentially counter an opponent's said characters/custom moves.

Of course, the EVO sets are pretty much finished by now (besides possible last-minute replacements). And I bet that a good portion of them were made with this idea in mind.

However, information is still young at this point in time. Everyone should give this new flow of information more time. Observe it, and learn from it. If something seems dominate, try to develop counter-strategies and custom sets that can potentially counter these dominant characters/strategies.

Custom moves are not a one-way mirror. Almost every character benefits from them (some more than others of course). This means both your opponent, and you. So, what should you do if your opponent creates a dominate strategy? Do what you can to create one of your own. Or at least, methods that can either shut down their own strategy, or at the very least put a noticeable dent in it.

Of course, there will eventually be strategies that are better than others. Some fights that are much more uphill than others. And that's just how things are sometimes. Even so, Smash 4 is looking to be the most balanced game in the series. And that is quite a feat when you consider it has 50+ characters. However, do take note that while the balance is greater, the gaps between the "tiers" might feel even larger in this game simply because of how many characters there are. Even if there are fewer "tiers" in this game in comparison to games of the past. In a way, it is a placebo effect of sort.

But for the most part, it seems as though most characters have a good chance at winning in this game. There's no Brawl Meta Knight to look out for, that's for sure. So even if there are challenging fights, battles that are hard-fought feel much more rewarding in the end. And, instead of viewing these tough battles as a toxic element that is problematic with the game and/or customs, accept the challenge that it presents to you. And overcome it. Because even if your opposition has a clear advantage, overcoming this opposition can give you a great sense of self-gratification, because it shows your strength and knowledge as a player.

Focus on obtaining this strength and knowledge as a player, and you will feel much better about yourself and this game as a whole, in comparison to how you would if you were to focus on your opposition being "too strong". Because it's not just their character's strength, or the strength of their customs. You also have to take into consideration the strength of their knowledge, and will. And, in-turn, you must contest their strength of knowledge and will as well.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
It was posted ages ago. People just want to complain about complainers.

With that I'll respectfully step out of this thread. Just hearing everyone saying "get better" is the equivalent of missing the point, and there's no point to being part of that. When we move on to something productive, maybe it'll be worth stepping back in.
You don't think discussion about a new, "dominant" strategy is productive? I'm trying to jumpstart our best thinker-players and actually do something about it.

If we went over this before I'm not sure we did enough of it.

Last edited:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
As I said before. There are apparently blind spots by the edge where the balloons cannot hit you unless Villager wants to sacrifice his ledge snap which makes him vulnerable to a shield drop attack. This is besides going above the ledge and dropping an attack down since VIllager loses ledge invincibility on his regrab. All you're aiming to do is get the % lead on a base level so that Villager is forced off the ledge and the fight can happen, unless you go for a time out strat. Either way you can shield and react. When he explodes balloons he cant ledge snap and is very vulnerable

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
It was posted ages ago.
I missed this in the flood of 5 million posts. This thread has been more active than it usually is the past day or so.

Anyway, to actually talk about counterstrategies, here's what I've been doing, and what I'm going to do (I've played a few Villagers with this setup already), or rather, an outlook for some of the characters that I play (warning that there's some rambling here while I sort out my thoughts):

:4pikachu: doesn't care about the Trip Sapling. As you guys saw, he can tjolt camp. Additionally, one thing that Jtails did not take advantage of was Quick Attack. It can allow Pikachu to get in when the Trip Sapling is poorly placed or Villager is too far from it, and then Villager has to roll around or trudge back to the sapling. Villager's mobility is really bad, and his grab is even worse, so getting in does a lot. Pikachu's f-smash is disjointed and can hit across the sapling without Pikachu tripping. Heavy Skull Bash is also fantastic here, as you can burst a Villager who misses his f-air or b-air for the KO at high percents if he jumps into the air. Ledge trumping Villager leaves Pikachu with lots of options because of his ledge getup time, and if the sapling is right there next to the stage, then Pikachu can grab the ledge by Quick Attacking over it, so the sapling pretty much does not have any adverse effect on Pikachu's gameplan, overall. His grounded normals don't work as well as they do usually, but SH f-air and SH d-air are as strong as ever. Ballons are a little trickier, but Tjolts + Quick Attack can save the day there too. I think EBT Villager is slightly easier to gimp than normal Villager, actually. Villager is so slow on his way up. Thundering the balloons is easier than ever, though it won't gimp him outright (it's just nice to land to get the lead, since getting the lead is what matters against customs Villager in most cases).

:4sheik: is one that I haven't tried, but she also doesn't care about Trip Sapling too much I think. Penetrating Needles are really good, and her f-air is good enough to poke around the edge of the sapling (it's like a small sword swing). Offstage, angled needles can pop Villager's balloons safely, but I don't know that it can gimp (I haven't tried to pop both; probably works?). Not much more to say about this MU. I'd literally just camp needles if it ever came down to it. Even if I lost the lead, I'd get it back eventually just doing this, unless I lost it by a lot, in which case the game's probably over.

:4mario: This is extremely free. Well, to some extent. A good Villager can still be trouble. But FLUDD and Gust Cape push Villager away from the ledge without any risk for Mario. Fireball zoning is effective along with Cape to reflect Villager's own projectiles once Mario has the lead. If Scalding FLUDD is taken, then Mario can get that lead pretty quickly with a few uses of that and his generally good aerial mobility, and then he can just sit back and Cape things for the rest of the match. Scalding FLUDD can also pop the explosive balloons without any risk to Mario. Super Jump Punch's semi-invincibility actually makes SJP'ing Villager as he's recovering with his slow balloon trip a possibility, but it won't gimp him outright, it's just pretty disruptive to his strategy. I still wouldn't recommend doing anything to Villager offstage, though, unless Mario loses the lead. With a lost lead you pretty much have to play riskily offstage, but the amount of risk you're taking vs. the amount of risk Villager is taking is not too bad. It's about 50:50 of you getting hit by balloons and Villager getting hit by your attacks or getting gimped outright. So yeah. Villager in the lead? 50:50. Mario in the lead? 60:40. I think Mario wins overall. It's definitely not Mario's usual gameplan, but a little adaptation does actually work wonders here.

:4sonic: I do play a lot of Sonic, on and off, because I think customs Sonic is really strong. Hammer Spindash is my move of choice here, but it's hard, I've had the sapling mess me up a lot while trying to get to Villager using HSD. The other two Spindashes are not as useful in this MU, I find. Burning's small hop is OK for getting over the sapling quickly, but I've timed this wrong many times. Anyway, so Sonic is the master of timing people out because of his ground speed, so this one is all about playing super defensively when Villager has the sapling up, and then playing aggressively when he doesn't. At least, that's been my approach. I don't know what other Sonics are doing. I find that Sonic has no answer to the ledge camping that Villager likes to do, or at least no answer where the risk:reward ratio is decent, so I just wait out the sapling and then try again. Losing the lead as Sonic in this MU is really painful, but Villager generally has a hard time getting Sonic away from him once Sonic is in, so these brief seconds where the sapling is down is all Sonic really needs to make sure that he doesn't lose the lead. He's so fast that pivot grabs and pivot f-tilts can mess up Villager's attempts to get some space and set up shop. Also surprise Hammer Spin Dashes can nab him out of the air or on the ground.

I do play other characters, but these are the 4 I've been using the most, recently.

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Some people are underestimating the element of surprise. Trela won a local tournament here with Doctor Mario and then won a tournament with Mii Swordfighter. A top level player who knows his opponents AND has the element of surprise can easily defeat players even if his/her strategy isn't optimal. This is especially likely if the players are beneath his level anyway.

Didn't ADHD wind up going Diddy Kong anyway?

In Brawl MK players lost to all kinds of things the first time they fought against it. M2K even went as far to say that multiple characters "beat" metaknight because he was caught off guard by opponents that knew his options inside and out, while he was unaware of theirs.

Custom Villager is campy and annoying, but so is default villager. He still gets outcamped by plenty of characters if you don't want to use universal mechanics to outfox him.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Why do I get the feeling that people are treating Villager as a ledge hungry camper?

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Lasting PK Thunder anyone? Any of the various super armor moves?

Last edited:

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
Lasting PK Thunder anyone? Any of the various super armor moves?
Funny enough, Villager is one of the few characters in the game I would personally consider using PK Flash on.

Would be hilarious to see him flee from the ledge before he is blown to smithereens.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
gunna be that loser and say big bomb from samus creates some neat conditioning for villager and does hurt his plank game.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Why do I get the feeling that people are treating Villager as a ledge hungry camper?
Ledge-camping Villager is the strategy of choice on For Glory most of the time. Though the trippling sapling and exploding balloons make Customs-on a different beast, it's still working from the same basic principle.

Actually, one thing I haven't seen people talk about much is stage choice/counterpicking Extreme Villager. In a lot of the matches I saw, ADHD was fighting opponents on Smashville and Town & City, where the released balloons could explode underneath the stage and still hit the opponent who was standing in the middle of the stage. What about levels where the main platform isn't so thin, like Duck Hunt or Final Destination?

Strangelove13

Smash Rookie
NNID
Strangelove13
I'm definately not as good as most of you guys but I wrote a few things on how I would counter this a few pages back:
I don't think it will be that much of a problem later on (and I'm a big no one, I know). This strat doesn't seem like it has many other ways to evolve past what he already showed us, even if done by an experienced Villager main. It relies too much on the inexperience and impatience of the opponent.

He needs to have that trip sapling up near the ledge in order to keep the opponent away and capitalize on a trip if they get too impatient. Once people start learning the time it takes for the sapling to disappear they can wait it out in shield and then occupy that space preventing Villager from putting it back up.

He also relies a lot on the exploding balloons to keep people from punishing him and damaging the opponent before they can get their hitboxes out to punish his 2nd ledge grab. I could be wrong but it seems to me like the balloons fly up almost all the time to the same locations, if you learn where they go you could find a spot to stay and get that punish off without getting hit by the explosions.

Something else that seems very effective is ledge trumping and stage spiking. Villager's recovery is pretty predictable so an experienced player could very easily ledge trump villager seeing as he can't do much else but grab the ledge out of his up b. As for stage spiking, it won't kill Villager but it will tack on some damage which is really all you need, the exploding balloons might make that hard though.

All you really need to beat this strat is to get a lead on Villager and run away, forcing him to approach to revert the situation (which isn't exactly his strong suit), and by forcing him to approach you have already undone his gameplan.

Of course this is all theoretical and an actual Villager main could probably explain it better than I can, but that strat doesn't seem to be sustainable in the long run after people actually practice against it, and I don't really see where else it could go seeing as it depends too much on the exploding balloons and trip sapling to prevent punishes. Once people find their way around those there's not much else he can do.
As for Samus she seems to have great tools to stop these shenanigans. Relentless Missiles harass Villager and hit him and his balloons making his ledge grab/regrab painful for him. She can drop default bombs to much the same effect, harassing his balloons and damaging him. She can leave her Mega Bombs and/or a Dense Charge shot at the ledge hurting Villager as he regrabs. She can try to snipe him with a regular charge shot (can hit Villager as he is ledge regrabbing).

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Well they want to specifically focus on the ledge camp because that is what is currently competitively controversial in the public eye. Villager is more then a ledge camp, but given the ledge camp is what is causing current drama...

Sonic can Spring jump over the edge to send the spring towards villager.

Ledge-camping Villager is the strategy of choice on For Glory most of the time. Though the trippling sapling and exploding balloons make Customs-on a different beast, it's still working from the same basic principle.

Actually, one thing I haven't seen people talk about much is stage choice/counterpicking Extreme Villager. In a lot of the matches I saw, ADHD was fighting opponents on Smashville and Town & City, where the released balloons could explode underneath the stage and still hit the opponent who was standing in the middle of the stage. What about levels where the main platform isn't so thin, like Duck Hunt or Final Destination?
The stage thickness comes off irrelevant, the balloons ignore the stage and they come off at the same angle.
Its a shame Prism tower isn't on Wii U, because the stage would be perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
I actually think Greninja doesn't really have a way of dealing with that Villager camping.
How about Shadow Sneak or his Shurikens? You could potentially pull Villager off the ledge with Shifting. Or maybe Hydro Pump?

Nah dude let's just gentleman to SV I don't wanna have to think

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Hmm... Falco's Explosive Blaster might have a use here, but the timing would be strict like using Sheik's Burst Grenade (customs) and ZSS's Electromagnetic Net.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Single-Shot Pump (upB 3) turns the water into a hitbox and fires a ridiculous distance downward with fairly horizontal knockback, I'd imagine Greninja could use that quite well, but none of Greninja's sets in the custom moves project use that upB (no flexibility in recovery and no windbox shenanigans make it generally inferior on paper, but it's rather unexplored).

Fully charged Water Shuriken could scoop a Villager off the ledge, but that's just asking to get pocketed. Angled Substitutes might be able to do something, but with the startup before the attack and the fact that Greninja's counterattack lacks invincibility I doubt it'd be anything Villager would be helpless against.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Funny enough, Villager is one of the few characters in the game I would personally consider using PK Flash on.

Would be hilarious to see him flee from the ledge before he is blown to smithereens.
I like the way you think. And Lasting PK Thunder should work wonders in theory. Apparently it's transcendent?

I'd never send my Ike against Villager and I'd be wary of using Shulk, so I don't think I'll worry about them too much.

Falco's Exploding Blaster might come in handy here. Does the hitbox on it reach the ledge? Either way he also has reflector, which would definitely help I think.

Kirby's Wave Cutter might help here as well. Plus Meteor Stone gives no ****s about exploding balloons. And Kirby's small body is a boon here as well. Actually scratch all of that. Kirby brings out Dedede's Hammer and strolls over to the ledge with super armor and a 40% damage kill move at the ready. Okay so he'd be too slow for that to really work but you gotta think of the style points.

Samus...hmmm. That's a risky matchup in the first place but I think I'd probably try raining bombs overhead.

This is definitely a workable problem in theory. Wish I had an opportunity to apply though...I think I'd pick Kirby or Ness.

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
Single-Shot Pump (upB 3) turns the water into a hitbox and fires a ridiculous distance downward with fairly horizontal knockback, I'd imagine Greninja could use that quite well, but none of Greninja's sets in the custom moves project use that upB (no flexibility in recovery and no windbox shenanigans make it generally inferior on paper, but it's rather unexplored).

Fully charged Water Shuriken could scoop a Villager off the ledge, but that's just asking to get pocketed. Angled Substitutes might be able to do something, but with the startup before the attack and the fact that Greninja's counterattack lacks invincibility I doubt it'd be anything Villager would be helpless against.
Would DAir be able to hit Villager off the ledge? I suspect you'd get blown up by the balloons but his DAir has a pretty far reaching hitbox. I could see it either spiking or stage-spiking Villager.

Game & Watch can bucket the explosions and DAir Villager from the ledge.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Wario trips out of his bike from trip sapling. ~_~

A matchup that I'd rather use a counterpick against.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Would DAir be able to hit Villager off the ledge? I suspect you'd get blown up by the balloons but his DAir has a pretty far reaching hitbox. I could see it either spiking or stage-spiking Villager.

Game & Watch can bucket the explosions and DAir Villager from the ledge.
It can hit Villager on the regrab without Greninja having to attempt it offstage, yes.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I like the way you think. And Lasting PK Thunder should work wonders in theory. Apparently it's transcendent?

I'd never send my Ike against Villager and I'd be wary of using Shulk, so I don't think I'll worry about them too much.

Falco's Exploding Blaster might come in handy here. Does the hitbox on it reach the ledge? Either way he also has reflector, which would definitely help I think.

Kirby's Wave Cutter might help here as well. Plus Meteor Stone gives no ****s about exploding balloons. And Kirby's small body is a boon here as well. Actually scratch all of that. Kirby brings out Dedede's Hammer and strolls over to the ledge with super armor and a 40% damage kill move at the ready. Okay so he'd be too slow for that to really work but you gotta think of the style points.

Samus...hmmm. That's a risky matchup in the first place but I think I'd probably try raining bombs overhead.

This is definitely a workable problem in theory. Wish I had an opportunity to apply though...I think I'd pick Kirby or Ness.
villager was never a risky match up for samus. its actually quite dynamic. you don't need to rain big bimbs (mostly becasue it wont explode on time unless u were rediculously high in th air) big bomb hits under and through ledges so placing one there will make planking super risky and force the villager to do somthing before that time is up and samus has many options from that situation after ward. either place another bomb near the ledge, go for a conditioned/read charge shot if they decide to come up, pressure with homing missles to explode baloons before hand. these are many of the things i tested i lab with samus a lot.
Oh and dence charge shot will give him some hell.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom