• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincent21

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2595-3155-0496
Those Game 3 and 5 comebacks...!

Nice that they play Skyloft and PS2 as well
I actually wanted to point that out;

PS2 looks like a god awful stage. Like I see why it's legal but... ew. That looks like negative amounts of fun to play on or get CP'd to ever. I think Diddy and Sonic literally taking a nap with peanuts halfway in sort of speaks for itself.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Watching Espy's Little Mac demonstrates perfectly why Little Mac is so dependent on his default Up-B competitively. Without it you basically have no other threatening punish in the air or for dealing with platform camping.

At least in a custom environment Guard Breaker and Dash Counter are options.

Vincent21

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2595-3155-0496
Watching Espy's Little Mac demonstrates perfectly why Little Mac is so dependent on his default Up-B competitively. Without it you basically have no other threatening punish in the air or for dealing with platform camping.

At least in a custom environment Guard Breaker and Dash Counter are options.
Guard Breaker is really neat, but Grounding Blow's area of coverage is huge for offering Little Mac an additional avenue to threaten the skies. If someone SHs anything you jump punch them into the floor :v but you know that Dash Counter has my attention...

Honestly though his default UpB is a solid move. Invincibility frames on start-up, really fast, KO move... it's good.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
Join the dark side, we got QA´s!

(seriously though, Pikachu is more than just Quick attack)
I really do enjoy Pikachu's quick attack. Its so versatile. Kind of like float but not as punishable when spaced.

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
See I find PS2 to be a lot of fun, I feel like yea there are transformations you're going to wait out but it's still a pretty dynamic stage imo.

But then again I'm the kind of person that would be totally okay with gentleman's clausing my opponent and going to Brinstar because mwahahahahahaaaaa.... :evil:

Skyloft is a stage I enjoy purely because everyone else hates it, if my opponent bans Delfino against me I'll usually go skyloft and they go "**** I forgot that was on the stage list." :D

webbedspace

Smash Journeyman

PS2 looks like a god awful stage. Like I see why it's legal but... ew. That looks like negative amounts of fun to play on or get CP'd to ever. I think Diddy and Sonic literally taking a nap with peanuts halfway in sort of speaks for itself.
I see nothing that hasn't happened on hundreds of Delfino matches in the past - and this stage has the advantage of not having zany blast-line changes.

Cazdon

Smash Ace
NNID
Cazdon
3DS FC
4355-9882-5183
Speaking of Megaman vs. the Bowser, does leaf shield go through tough guy? Cause leafstooling is great way for early kills and Bowser's animation of getting footstooled is hilarious:troll:.

Smog Frog

Smash Lord
what's everyones impressions of c. falcon now that the meta has progressed? has he dropped from alot of peoples top 10?

Michael Zvaniga

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mswanee
HolyNightmare won Battle Royale 8 in Ottawa last night with ROB.

Top 8 had one ROB, one Diddy, a Shulk/Olimar, 2 Megaman players, a Sonic, a Luigi, and a Villager (with a pear tree!)

'Dat diversity.
I was there (my first tourney) went straight into the loser's bracket, got my freind out, then lost to AlphaRam, not the greatest first tourney.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738

Yeah, Espy picking PS2 was a pretty big gamble. In all honesty, PS2 benefits Diddy more than Sonic.

As for legality, it's rarely picked because the wind transformation is brutal. I find the rock transformation to be terribly designed but easily worked around with just waiting it out. Ironically, it's less imbalanced than PS1 in Melee, but the wind transformation makes it a very huge gamble to pick, especially against players with powerful u-airs (Hi Diddy. Hi Sheik).

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Another thing to note: Espy got on the tree on DH without wasting his recovery? (The first time, not the dog jump) I thought you weren't supposed to be able to do that? I've been misled.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
That's correct. Little Mac can make it to the tree if you ledge jump, then double jump at the peak of the ledge jump.

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
So how do ppl feel about Doc? Picked him up mid match against someone in a tourney (he played Jiggs)and won. I know his combos/strings aren't guaranteed and he has the same range issue as Mario while being too slow, too low of a damage output, Lil mac esque recovery, but what else? Is he just that simple in this game (jab-->dtilt-->grab-->uair-->uair-->bair) or is there more to him? I see a stupid amount of up B OoS from Doc mains for kills or just damage. Please may I get enlightened by Hero Mystic or someone who actually knows about Doc. Also the Doc character forum isn't as helpful as imagined.

Flamecircle

Smash Apprentice
So how do ppl feel about Doc? Picked him up mid match against someone in a tourney (he played Jiggs)and won. I know his combos/strings aren't guaranteed and he has the same range issue as Mario while being too slow, too low of a damage output, Lil mac esque recovery, but what else? Is he just that simple in this game (jab-->dtilt-->grab-->uair-->uair-->bair) or is there more to him? I see a stupid amount of up B OoS from Doc mains for kills or just damage. Please may I get enlightened by Hero Mystic or someone who actually knows about Doc. Also the Doc character forum isn't as helpful as imagined.
Speed's just so important that it's hard to want to use him over mario, especially in a custom environment where you can use the strong up-b.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Doc's damage per hit is actually very good. The reason why Mario's damage per hit is bad is because everything he combos into (with exception of F-air and Up-B) uses low damage. Doc can use U-Smash(14%) and B-air(14%) within his combo strings. Doc also has way more kill moves than Mario does, which gives him that luxury of abusing his high-damaging moves because he has more to choose from. Also, Doc's Down-B edgeguard can get stupid-early kills. I've killed Fox at 50% with it.

Doc's recovery isn't good, but it's not terrible. It's main problem more than anything is distance, but the recovery itself is not bad as long as Doc maintains his second jump and protects himself with Down-B (which will stuff the majority of edgeguarding done against him that's not completely disjointed).

Doc's main problem that holds him back is his lack of offensive options. Mario has issues with approaching, so he has to bait out moves from his opponent and punish. Doc's low run speed only polarizes this weakness. For the majority of his matches you have to use his (admittedly good) pills to get anything to happen, otherwise he can be spaced out pretty easily. For that same reason, along with having a very poor jump height and his U-air having no auto-cancel, his advantaged state is quite sub-par.

Doc is basically Mario specced in defense. He's a niche character that can be better in certain MUs (vs Luigi is a big one.), but at the end of the day his glaring weaknesses overshadow his pretty good strengths.

@ TTTTTsd TTTTTsd @Liberation

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Here's my experience with Doc.

One thing that's really nice about Doc is because he doesn't jump as high as Mario, his OOS options are actually a bit more consistent. This is nice especially when going for B-air, especially considering Doc's B-air does a whopping 14%. Furthermore Doc Up-B is really just one of the best moves in the game period. 3 frame 14% oos kill move that can be reversed during hitlag? Sign me up please.

In spite of Doc's weak recovery, one other thing that I like about him is he actually has great low edgeguards in both D-air and Tornado.

Doc U-tilt is better than Mario U-tilt for comboing, though harder to set up on characters that aren't fastfallers. In the case of Doc even though it's harder for him to get long strings, I'm usually satisfied that his single hits are very rewarding and try to play around safely working for those.

On a custom environment, Soaring Tornado gives you more vertical options for edgeguarding and recovering and also is actually a great offstage/juggle KO move. Fast Pills are also pretty obviously good as well as Doc's Breezy/Shocking Sheet. Though Doc's default Up-B is too good to lose.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Actually Doc's Uair autocancels if you do it right after a shorthop and fastfall it, unless that's not the same thing I'm thinking of something different?

Either way if you want an outline of basic Doc stuff, I'll summarize. Most of what has been said above is true, he's basically defensively oriented Mario with less approach options but a stronger punish game and a few more kill moves + interesting edgeguard options. He's a niche character who specializes in a few of Mario's bad MUs when it comes to tournament relevant characters although I believe anyone in the lower tiers he can usually handle as good if not better than Mario, it's the higher tiers (i.e. tournament relevant picks) that give him more difficulty.

With Doc your best bet is to be creative and try and overcome these weaknesses by making use of his unique traits, namely his pills and really good empty hop game. Also worth noting is Doc Nado in its priority as a defensive/escape option or even an offensive one if you make a read, and it is also a very strong edgeguard.

Really the people above me sniped me during my class this morning so I can't even say anything really new outside of his short hop fast fall mixups being on point and to say you should DEFINITELY master them. Make use of his faster falling speed.

Is he tournament viable? Well, kind of. He's definitely more niche than viable but it's definitely possible TO win with him IMO. I can only seriously recommend him as a secondary, if you're like me and insane however you'll main him =3

Last edited:

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace
Lightweight is underestimated and difficult to use optimally. Super Speed alone won't cut it for Palutena, she needs lightweight if she wants to be high tier. Is there a single video of a customs on Palutena who's actually good at utilizing Super Speed and (in particular) Lightweight?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Actually Doc's Uair autocancels if you do it right after a shorthop and fastfall it, unless that's not the same thing I'm thinking of something different?

Either way if you want an outline of basic Doc stuff, I'll summarize. Most of what has been said above is true, he's basically defensively oriented Mario with less approach options but a stronger punish game and a few more kill moves + interesting edgeguard options. He's a niche character who specializes in a few of Mario's bad MUs when it comes to tournament relevant characters although I believe anyone in the lower tiers he can usually handle as good if not better than Mario, it's the higher tiers (i.e. tournament relevant picks) that give him more difficulty.

With Doc your best bet is to be creative and try and overcome these weaknesses by making use of his unique traits, namely his pills and really good empty hop game. Also worth noting is Doc Nado in its priority as a defensive/escape option or even an offensive one if you make a read, and it is also a very strong edgeguard.

Really the people above me sniped me during my class this morning so I can't even say anything really new outside of his short hop fast fall mixups being on point and to say you should DEFINITELY master them. Make use of his faster falling speed.

Is he tournament viable? Well, kind of. He's definitely more niche than viable but it's definitely possible TO win with him IMO. I can only seriously recommend him as a secondary, if you're like me and insane however you'll main him =3
If you buffer it correctly, you can SH double U-air with Doc, which in some really situational circumstances is helpful in juggles.

When it comes to matchups, I would also rather play Doc against Ness, given Pills (can't be absorbed) and B-air. Plus in a custom setting, Soaring Tornado benefits Doc more in the matchup than Mario's Gust Cape imo. I also personally find Yoshi easier to play against as Doc rather than Mario given how risky it is to go for long strings in that matchup, although both of them I believe win the matchup anyway in a custom setting.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
You're actually right. Doc's short-hop height just makes it a bit more awkward.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Yeah so, I know the topic is on Megaman/Shulk, but I figure now would be a good time to show off Espy's Little Mac.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RXfxrdf12E&feature=youtu.be
It's particularly impressive considering Denti has more experience in that matchup than almost anyone (since he fought Bwett so many times). Also, I can't believe that I'm actually rooting for a Little Mac player after all that time I spent detesting the character in the early meta.

Denti did make a ton of really questionable decisions / execution errors in game 1, though. Espy really didn't deserve that match.

I've been saying this since the very beginning in the Stage Analysis thread but I got shouted down. 3 of the 4 transformations are just garbage and stall out the match until they go away.

The notion that PS2 should be legal but not all 3 of Skyloft, Wuhu, and Delfino is jokes. It's far more disruptive than any of them. It's amazing what garbage people will put up with just because they got used to it when there weren't any better options available.

what's everyones impressions of c. falcon now that the meta has progressed? has he dropped from alot of peoples top 10?
My impression of Falcon is the same as it always was in Smash4: he's back to being good (Melee) Falcon. He still has pretty much the same issues he always had, but if he gets in on you it's going to hurt.

I personally would not put him top 10 but I still think he's a solid character. Upper half of the cast for sure.

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
There's some talk on who are actually bad matchups for Mega Man as opposed to "lol reflectors."
I think that Mega Man is a sleeper top 10 character TBH. He can just do so much with his kit. I'm probably a little off, but he is an excellent character who will only be limited in representation because of his odd style.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I think that Mega Man is a sleeper top 10 character TBH. He can just do so much with his kit. I'm probably a little off, but he is an excellent character who will only be limited in representation because of his odd style.
Top 15, yes. But top 10? Ehhh...
Mega man is a very unique and versatile character. It's almost as if he has a tool for every situation, but his flaws are inherent are pretty hard to patch up.
He struggles when the opponent can get in easily and deny him his space (hence why Shiek, meta knight, and little Mac give him issues)
He was built very well to be a mid range character that can keep the opponent away and disrupt approaches...but he wasn't given the tools to get him out of his disadvantage easily. Once you are in on a mega man, you can proceed to crush him until he finds a way to escape, which is pretty hard for him given his susceptibility to being juggled and limited "get off me" options.

His air speed and maneuverability is top notch, but if an opponent can match it and chase him down, he falters due to his very poor ground speed.
However, what hurts him the most IMO is the required precision needed to land his kill moves. Each smash attack has very bad cooldown and relatively slow start up (besides the 6 frame startup usmash)
His mega upper is the ultimate punishing tool, but you have to be kissing your opponent for it to land, meaning that your opponent must make a mistake in spacing. If you miss it, you are probably dead.

Mega man generally has to work a considerable amount harder than the percieved top 10 to gain an advantage (his nuetral is among the best in the game however) and his disadvantage isn't pretty.

Last edited:

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi
Doc's damage per hit is actually very good. The reason why Mario's damage per hit is bad is because everything he combos into (with exception of F-air and Up-B) uses low damage. Doc can use U-Smash(14%) and B-air(14%) within his combo strings. Doc also has way more kill moves than Mario does, which gives him that luxury of abusing his high-damaging moves because he has more to choose from. Also, Doc's Down-B edgeguard can get stupid-early kills. I've killed Fox at 50% with it.

Doc's recovery isn't good, but it's not terrible. It's main problem more than anything is distance, but the recovery itself is not bad as long as Doc maintains his second jump and protects himself with Down-B (which will stuff the majority of edgeguarding done against him that's not completely disjointed).

Doc's main problem that holds him back is his lack of offensive options. Mario has issues with approaching, so he has to bait out moves from his opponent and punish. Doc's low run speed only polarizes this weakness. For the majority of his matches you have to use his (admittedly good) pills to get anything to happen, otherwise he can be spaced out pretty easily. For that same reason, along with having a very poor jump height and his U-air having no auto-cancel, his advantaged state is quite sub-par.

Doc is basically Mario specced in defense. He's a niche character that can be better in certain MUs (vs Luigi is a big one.), but at the end of the day his glaring weaknesses overshadow his pretty good strengths.

@ TTTTTsd TTTTTsd @Liberation

If you buffer it correctly, you can SH double U-air with Doc, which in some really situational circumstances is helpful in juggles.

When it comes to matchups, I would also rather play Doc against Ness, given Pills (can't be absorbed) and B-air. Plus in a custom setting, Soaring Tornado benefits Doc more in the matchup than Mario's Gust Cape imo. I also personally find Yoshi easier to play against as Doc rather than Mario given how risky it is to go for long strings in that matchup, although both of them I believe win the matchup anyway in a custom setting.
Here's my experience with Doc.

One thing that's really nice about Doc is because he doesn't jump as high as Mario, his OOS options are actually a bit more consistent. This is nice especially when going for B-air, especially considering Doc's B-air does a whopping 14%. Furthermore Doc Up-B is really just one of the best moves in the game period. 3 frame 14% oos kill move that can be reversed during hitlag? Sign me up please.

In spite of Doc's weak recovery, one other thing that I like about him is he actually has great low edgeguards in both D-air and Tornado.

Doc U-tilt is better than Mario U-tilt for comboing, though harder to set up on characters that aren't fastfallers. In the case of Doc even though it's harder for him to get long strings, I'm usually satisfied that his single hits are very rewarding and try to play around safely working for those.

On a custom environment, Soaring Tornado gives you more vertical options for edgeguarding and recovering and also is actually a great offstage/juggle KO move. Fast Pills are also pretty obviously good as well as Doc's Breezy/Shocking Sheet. Though Doc's default Up-B is too good to lose.
Thanks guys. I thought I'll get some scrubs, but I got everyone I wanted for their input. FYI Doc is not my main, DK/Ganon is. I used Doc against a Pikachu and then won 2 straight (only to get KO by another Pika). Dunno the MU spread, but which MU does Doc shine the most?

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I feel like the characters that Mega Man has to worry about the most are generally the ones that can out-speed him in the air.

That would be:
:4jigglypuff::4yoshi::4wario::4zss::4greninja::4mario::4dk::4gaw::4sonic:

A couple of them aren't so bad, namely DK and Sonic, but when you combine the ability to get past pellet walls with a few other tricks (Mario's cape, Yoshi's range, Jigglypuff's fantastic mobility), it often feels difficult for Mega Man to play his game properly. They're not necessarily terrible matchups for Mega Man (I'd say all except maybe Jigglypuff and ZSS are in the 4:6 to 6:4 range) but they can often feel that way.

Other than that, I suspect that :4villager::4samus: :4zelda: :4metaknight:are disadvantaged matchups for Mega Man.

Villager's ability to camp the ledge exacerbates Mega Man's issues with killing reliably, and while Samus is awkward up-close, Mega Man is even more awkward, and so it stops being much of a weakness for Samus. Meta Knight and Zelda share the property of being very strong in disadvantage, and make trying to land a follow-up KO against them legitimately dangerous due to the KO power of their teleporting Up B's.

Mega man generally has to work a considerable amount harder than the percieved top 10 to gain an advantage (his nuetral is among the best in the game however) and his disadvantage isn't pretty.
I think Mega Man in disadvantage isn't quite as screwed as you make him out to be, though I guess it has less to do with him having amazing disadvantaged state options, and more the fact that he seems built to weather the storm. Between a heavy weight that makes him fairly difficult to KO and the fact that pellets are frame-2 (making them the fastest aerial in the game) he just needs that brief moment to stun the opponent and get things back to neutral.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I feel like the characters that Mega Man has to worry about the most are generally the ones that can out-speed him in the air.

That would be:

A couple of them aren't so bad, namely DK and Sonic, but when you combine the ability to get past pellet walls with a few other tricks (Mario's cape, Yoshi's range, Jigglypuff's fantastic mobility), it often feels difficult for Mega Man to play his game properly. They're not necessarily terrible matchups for Mega Man (I'd say all except maybe Jigglypuff and ZSS are in the 4:6 to 6:4 range) but they can often feel that way.

Other than that, I suspect that :4villager::4samus: :4zelda: :4metaknight:are disadvantaged matchups for Mega Man.

Villager's ability to camp the ledge exacerbates Mega Man's issues with killing reliably, and while Samus is awkward up-close, Mega Man is even more awkward, and so it stops being much of a weakness for Samus. Meta Knight and Zelda share the property of being very strong in disadvantage, and make trying to land a follow-up KO against them legitimately dangerous due to the KO power of their teleporting Up B's.

I think Mega Man in disadvantage isn't quite as screwed as you make him out to be, though I guess it has less to do with him having amazing disadvantaged state options, and more the fact that he seems built to weather the storm. Between a heavy weight that makes him fairly difficult to KO and the fact that pellets are frame-2 (making them the fastest aerial in the game) he just needs that brief moment to stun the opponent and get things back to neutral.
I probably exaggerated his disadvantage state a little bit, but his 2 frame nair doesn't mean much when you realize it has a tiny hitbox in front of mega man. It isn't the ideal combo breaker, but it is amazing for landing considering it has NO landing lag.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I probably exaggerated his disadvantage state a little bit, but his 2 frame nair doesn't mean much when you realize it has a tiny hitbox in front of mega man. It isn't the ideal combo breaker, but it is amazing for landing considering it has NO landing lag.
It's not the best nair in the world as you would normally use it, but the arm cannon hit box isn't as important as the fact that you have that and the pellets as well. If someone's underneath him it's terrible, but Mega Man has enough air speed to fade back while shooting pellets to get them to at least stop for a moment and let him get his bearings.

Vincent21

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2595-3155-0496
Not to mention that dair is a huge get off me in disadvantaged to protect him from getting killed off the top. Complete projectile-like disjoint kill move? They just miiiight respect it. However that move has some start-up iirc so it isn't a way out of juggles as much as a way to disincentivize top KOs and chasing.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789

That would be:

The mu between samus and megaman is even. it could be slightly in eithers favor but for now i would say its even.
Charge shot is the best tool durring the mu because it eats almost everything megaman has to offer. but mega man can captitalized on some mid range pressure that can make charging a pain. megaman probably has to fear samus more when hes offstage than reverse. just cuz from my experience megaman can have a really rough time punishing tethers. But mega man does have a lighting fast grab to make shield a less strong option for samus witch is problematic since samus NEEDS that freaking shield. Also in terms of trapping they both do it pretty well against each other.

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
The mu between samus and megaman is even. it could be slightly in eithers favor but for now i would say its even.
Charge shot is the best tool durring the mu because it eats almost everything megaman has to offer. but mega man can captitalized on some mid range pressure that can make charging a pain. megaman probably has to fear samus more when hes offstage than reverse. just cuz from my experience megaman can have a really rough time punishing tethers. But mega man does have a lighting fast grab to make shield a less strong option for samus witch is problematic since samus NEEDS that freaking shield. Also in terms of trapping they both do it pretty well against each other.
It might just be that Samus feels difficult to fight against, a grass is greener on the other side deal. It sort of reminds me of the fact that, just recently, someone here (maybe @Antonykun ?) mentioned that, for Villager, Mega Man can be an annoying matchup. What makes this so funny is that, to a Mega Man player, Villager is an annoying matchup too. While both people think the other is Satan incarnate, the matchup might be closer than either believes.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
PSA: Mega Man's pellets come out frame 7. The F2 in the frame data is weird like how Rush Coil has a hitbox in the pastebin. When you play as Mega, it is very apparent that dtilt (f5) is your fastest button on the ground, not jab/ftilt/nair.

Disadvantage:
Dtilt is a fantastic "get off me" option. Even if it's baited, because he moves while he attacks, it's a better reset tool than people give it credit. It's also functionally disjointed (foot/leg is intangible). Mega has an enormous shield grab range compared with his hurtbox size. Usmash is frame 8, making it a solid OOS option in addition to being transcendent/disjointed.

Utilt hits on f6, is f5-f8 full body intangible, and transcendent throughout beating any and all moves you are bold enough to challenge with it. Sweetspot's range is deceptively in front of him (he takes a step forward; if you're too close to your opponent, you get the sourspot and it's sad) while the sourspot (12%) is about the size of Sheik's ftilt staying out until f16. You can think of it as an f5 counter that only hits in front.

Given enough room, leaf shield (b-reversable, as is metal blade) helps his landings a lot along with landing w/pellets. If you try and shield grab a Mega Man landing with pellets, you play the game of grabbing him when he has the option of pelleting and then jumping away. Leaf Shield gives you an active hitbox while air dodging.

In my opinion, he has trouble with cross ups (although too close and Usmash OOS), vertical combos (DAir and NAir don't really cut it), and taking back stage control. That's his disadvantage. Airspeed helps along with being difficult to kill in general.

That would be:

Regards to air speed, Mega Man's anti-air is great. SH UAir, SH pellet, Usmash, utilt... Combined with the fact that your opponent has to respect utilt and the possibility of powershield>sweetspot utilt can make approaching him from the air scary.

:4jigglypuff: loses her edge guarding game to Rush, since the burst vertical is an option she can't cover. Mega Man can also stay safe from Rest by just being safe in general while out ranging her with BAir disjoints. She likes to weave and camp and stay safe at a range that's just outside of most melee ranges... but Mega Man shoots projectiles so she has to be more aggressive. Up smash OOS is key.
:4yoshi: goes back in forth in my head and on the boards. It is probably even or slightly in Yoshi's favor. They both keep each other out well and the zoning battle can be real fun. His range isn't like DK's range, so there's plenty of room to pellet. Leaf shield+footstool is goodnight for low recoveries from Yoshi.
:4wario2: is being discussed now. He's such a weird character I don't even pretend to understand him (and a couple people on the Mega Man boards feel the same). Disjoints help, dtilt beats chomp, but umm... yeah. It seems like the majority of Mega Mans think it's in his favor a bit.
:4zss: loses her paralyzer game and can't out space Mega. Her kills are either difficult (BAir on a short character) or incredibly risky (whiffed grab is a utilt). UAirs do good work, but we have it as in Mega's favor.
:4greninja:I've touched on. :4mario:'s cape isn't too big of a factor, it's more the fact that he combos Mega well. However, Mario loses neutral hard (fireballs can get canceled or traded with fsmash/run under usmash/uair), gets edge guarded, and combo'd by BAirs. And how Mario is going to have a tough time KO'ing. RAR BAir for Mega beats a lot of aerial approaches and is especially good against Mario's short range.
:4gaw: is super light and the bucket is really a non-issue in the matchup. He has approach issues. Mega Man boards just went over this and, while he can combo us well, he has to get in. Similar to Mario, the usmash invincibility doesn't really mean much if Mega doesn't approach through the air.
:4sonic: loses to Mega.
:4villager: - Yeah, the villager boards have trouble with Mega. Personally, and talking to some other Mega Mans, I think Mega wins this slightly. Camping the ledge is dangerous, as no ledge invincibility = easy DAir target (Also, run off BAir). Villager will find it hard to kill Mega, and metal blades blow up Lloids allowing Mega to avoid those traps. When being aggressive, Villager likes to use his lingering aerials, but the anti-air kit (most notably SH UAir) works so well against him. Villager's aerial blind spot is diagonally down, and that's the only blind spot of Mega Man's anti-air kit (sans utilt). Without a good grab, Mega can safely sit in shield against a lot of Villager's stuff.
:4samus:loses to pellets. With a charged shot, she has one shot and a chance, but she can't roll, she can't approach from the air... Even if she catches him shooting pellets, he can jump while shooting to avoid it. She just loses to pellets.
:4zelda:'s teleporting up B... well, Mega Man just has to be ready to shield>dsmash or move while shooting. She also can't approach well and gets outspaced safely. With a poor uair for juggling, Mega Man doesn't really need to fear... anything.

I wish I had summaries of MU's we have discussed to share, but I'm pretty terrible at getting myself to write those... Merp.

Last edited:

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Megaman doesn't have too much of an issue with Greninja. It's an even MU without any doubt. It can be tough for Greninja to get in, but if he does, it can be hard for Megaman to get away from him. It all comes down to who has better control over the match since they each have the areas they excel in and who wins is basically the one who outsmarts the other. I'm sure it's an even MU.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I'm sorry but Samus is boldly hard countered by Megaman.

@ Locke 06 Locke 06 amusingly sums it up quite well but I'll go in detail because I personally played this MU in tournament. Missiles are clanked by pellets. Uncharged Shots are clanked by pellets, F-tilt loses to pellets, Dash Attack loses to pellets, every single aerial Samus has loses to pellets. Megaman destroys Samus at mid-range so badly that this is not even a matter of player skill and mindgames. Megaman just has stay right outside of Samus' F-tilt, and Samus can't do a ****ing thing.

Add on the fact that all of Megaman's other projectiles cancels out Samus' projectiles, and Megaman has the easiest time B-airing Samus due to her large frame, and D-air giving Megaman a safe option that covers Samus' recovery and this MU is ****ed.

Samus' only option is to go Full-on For Glory Mode and camp like a madwoman, and hope Megaman is too scared to spam pellets while she has charged shot primed so you can actually do stuff.

But I'd go as far as to say this is an 80:20 Disadvantage for Samus. It's that bad.

wedl!!

Goddess of Storms
NNID
Plushies4Ever
how do people feel about the peach/sheik MU? i've played this a bit and think either peach has a minor advantage (55:45) or it's even.

i'm probably entirely wrong.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I feel like Yoshi is probably +1 vs Megaman due to air mobility and being able to compete with him at range. He's got great tools to juggle Megaman when he gets him into the air (his mobility allows him to work around dair fairly easily), and conversely he's not especially afraid of Megaman's juggles due to his weight, mobility, and the threat of downB. Both Yoshi and Mega often need a read for a kill, and both can punish hard, so it's still a fairly volatile matchup, but I feel like Yoshi tends to win the damage race.

Last edited:

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206

@ Locke 06 Locke 06 amusingly sums it up quite well but I'll go in detail because I personally played this MU in tournament. Missiles are clanked by pellets. Uncharged Shots are clanked by pellets, F-tilt loses to pellets, Dash Attack loses to pellets, every single aerial Samus has loses to pellets. Megaman destroys Samus at mid-range so badly that this is not even a matter of player skill and mindgames. Megaman just has stay right outside of Samus' F-tilt, and Samus can't do a ****ing thing.

Add on the fact that all of Megaman's other projectiles cancels out Samus' projectiles, and Megaman has the easiest time B-airing Samus due to her large frame, and D-air giving Megaman a safe option that covers Samus' recovery and this MU is ****ed.

Samus' only option is to go Full-on For Glory Mode and camp like a madwoman, and hope Megaman is too scared to spam pellets while she has charged shot primed so you can actually do stuff.

But I'd go as far as to say this is an 80:20 Disadvantage for Samus. It's that bad.
Super missiles eat pellets after pellets go stale though. (They have to go really stale... It happens). But yeah... I don't want to say it's that bad, since she can combo him well and she does have the charge shot... But it is at best 30-70.

Edit: Yoshi's down B is not really a deterrent. Projectile uair or disjointed usmash will beat it. Otherwise, I agree at the moment (but will probably flip flop to even later. I really can't make up my mind on it)

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord

If Samus' moves were transcendent, just how much better would she be? Seriously, her priority is the thing I see cited as by far her biggest weakness. Do you think being transcendent on at least her aerials would make the match-up more even or is she still doomed? I can't believe everyone slept so hard on Mega Man simply because he was awkward and takes practice. People used to say he was garbage...I guess Zucco showed them.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
how do people feel about the peach/sheik MU? i've played this a bit and think either peach has a minor advantage (55:45) or it's even.

i'm probably entirely wrong.
Well she definitely out speeds us and has better air mobility. We can get out of her ftilt shenanigans, but fair is an issue for us since it beats a lot of our aerials. Its a very irritating match up. I believe its 60:40 shiek though. I haven't had too much of an issue with sheik but I still believe its a losing match up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom