• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
if you have good internet speed it overall should not be a terrible experience but lag spikes can strike fear into your play.
Heh, I went ahead and played him. My opponent was from England, and we had about 50-60 frames of lag.

It was basically unplayable--literally nothing was blockable on reaction. He beat me 2-0 using almost only dash attack, wizkick, and flame choke. :p

Edit: I can't stress enough how silly it is to have Ganon Flame Choke or wizkick at you in neutral, and you be unable to dodge/block it. Ganon for top tier, new meta!

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Heh, I went ahead and played him. My opponent was from England, and we had about 50-60 frames of lag.

It was basically unplayable--literally nothing was blockable on reaction. He beat me 2-0 using almost only dash attack, wizkick, and flame choke. :p

Edit: I can't stress enough how silly it is to have Ganon Flame Choke or wizkick at you in neutral, and you be unable to dodge/block it. Ganon for top tier, new meta!
You think that is bad? Every time I hook up my satellite to the Wii-U and try to do an online match the lag is deceptive. Everything seems fine. There is none of the slow motion stuff that happens with normal lag. But then you try to input an input... the input doesn't register until a couple of frames after you inputted it but once it does register it comes out fine. I hate satellite internet.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Yeah, I can't help but feel that online play is complete pointless trash in fighting games?

Like inputs have to be consistent for this genre to function, at the most basic level.

Edit: This is one of the reasons why I think fighting games, including Smash, is ultimately a doomed esports genre.

Edit 2: It's kinda taboo to mention just how utterly insignificant competitive fighting games are. Like, people are freaking out over around 1000 players for melee and smash 4 at Apex, or how impressive EVO is.

I don't mean to dismiss the hard work and accomplishment that those organizers have put in; they are great events. But as an entire genre, that's pathetic. Hearthstone alone poops on every fighting game ever made put together, to say nothing of League.

And *people being able to actually play it* is key.

To play Smash 4 (or melee), you have to buy a special monitor and organize events with rare people who are equally devoted.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Really depends as far as online in fighters go. You have people who can play online in games like SF4 and then go to tournament and do well (and maybe even get better or learn more)

It's more muddled in Smash given the playerbase, however, for a lot of reasons. SF4 is a game catered DIRECTLY to tournament play and competitive play, and while For Glory and other modes can aim for this theoretically, it obviously won't have a reliably high success rate given the target audience/playerbase of Smash. Which is the main issue with things like using Online as training outside of friendlies with people you know/have skill parallels with.

Online is really dependent on netcode and other things. Some games it's good, others it's bad. Smash though, regardless of reliable inputs or not, it's mixed IMO.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Smash is successful due to sheer numbers, not because of the quality of the game. Too bad Nintendo is at the helm though they seem to be changing their tune when it comes to competitive gaming. Sponsoring Apex is a great indicator.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Really depends as far as online in fighters go. You have people who can play online in games like SF4 and then go to tournament and do well (and maybe even get better or learn more)

It's more muddled in Smash given the playerbase, however, for a lot of reasons. SF4 is a game catered DIRECTLY to tournament play and competitive play, and while For Glory and other modes can aim for this theoretically, it obviously won't have a reliably high success rate given the target audience/playerbase of Smash. Which is the main issue with things like using Online as training outside of friendlies with people you know/have skill parallels with.
I mean, that sucks too, but I'm more concerned with the inherent lag of the internet and how totally incompatible that is with fighting games.

Today, online play is 99.99% of competitive gaming. Tomorrow that will be 99.999%, and latency isn't going away.

Tove love: Fighting games have no meaningful future as a successful e-sport. They will only be able to continue as a niche product (though a potentially very successful niche product) for wacky companies like Nintendo who insist on local multiplayer gaming as a "gimmick".

Smash is successful due to sheer numbers, not because of the quality of the game. Too bad Nintendo is at the helm though they seem to be changing their tune when it comes to competitive gaming. Sponsoring Apex is a great indicator.
The best games I have ever played, no exceptions full stop, are in order:
  1. Smash 4
  2. Brawl
  3. Melee
  4. [huge gap]
  5. Anything Else
I am not one for rose colored glasses nor one to fixate on differences of opinion, but to be quite honest if someone doesn't think Smash is the greatest ****ing game ever made on God's green earth, I'm not entirely sure why they'd be on this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
Deliberate double post:

1. Smash 4
  2. Brawl
  3. Melee
  4. [huge gap]
  5. Anything Else
I am not one for rose colored glasses nor one to fixate on differences of opinion, but to be quite honest if someone doesn't think Smash is the greatest ****ing game ever made on God's green earth, I'm not entirely sure why they'd be on this forum.
One of the best, in my book.

Smooth Criminal

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
It is.

Wait until you fight online Timber-happy Villagers
better yet fight a timber happy Villager as a Timber happy Villager.
SMASH POTATO
:4villager::4villagerf::4villager::4villagerf::4villager::4villagerf::4villager::4villagerf::4villager::4villagerf:
(I'm normally not that timber happy)

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Deliberate double post:

1. Smash 4
  2. Brawl
  3. Melee
  4. [huge gap]
  5. Anything Else
I'm proud of you for not mentioning PM at all

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789

lol thats some rough lag. why is it that every competitive player iv played on anthers ladder potato lag, and random for glory smooth as silk.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I'm proud of you for not mentioning 64 at all
I just don't feel like it was on the same level of impact in my life. It was a primitive, exploratory prototype--a neat experiment that provided more fun than some other games, but nothing revolutionary and ill-suited for competition in skills I find interesting.

Meanwhile, I played around 20000 games of Melee, 30000 games of Brawl, and already ~2000 games of Smash 4. This is magnitudes more than any other game; only League and Terraria are comparable.

Anyway, I digress.

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
In regards to the whole teams thing, Charizard I highly doubt is the worst character in dubs. In certain teams he'll dominate because of being able to fill up bucket or being able to heal Ness/Gunner quickly and efficiently, etc (shoutouts to @ NairWizard NairWizard here for the idea). In others, he'll perform the role of any stock-tank while his partner can play monster-in-the-closet status. This kind of team synergy is a very viable tactic, so I highly doubt Charizard will be the worst teams character straight up. I have no idea who I would consider to be the worst team partner, but I wouldn't really be bummed if Charizard was my team-mate.
Thanks for the summon, but @san. first alerted me to this possibility. I've used it a couple of times in tournament to good effect. The team is strong, and you can't just choose to fight Charizard instead of Ness to avoid Ness' b-throw because Charizard has a kill throw too (an asset which makes him strong in teams in general).

Haven't been following this topic, but I'll talk about the character I know best with updated impressions: I don't think that Pikachu has any bad matchups. Disjointed characters used to be a problem for me until I started to use more Quick Attack. Most disjointed characters struggle in disadvantage, and QA gets them there. Meta Knight is an exception since he's good in disadvantage, but Meta Knight doesn't have the range or approach options to contest Pikachu. Pikachu seems to go even with Megaman, Greninja, and Sheik, and it's close on a few others (Yoshi doesn't feel too one-sided, for example), but there are no characters who just win.

Among top tiers: sizable wins against Falcon, Fox, Zero Suit Samus, Rosalina, and Sonic; minor wins against Diddy, Mario, and Ness (another MU which is so close as to call even).

Reading this page... mobility is more than just walk speed. There's initial dash speed, max run speed, horizontal and vertical aerial acceleration/deceleration, jump height, and unreactable (or barely reactable) burst moves. Mobile characters aren't just good because they're fast in one way. They're good because they're fast in multiple ways. They also tend to have low-lag moves. Pikachu's entire aerial kit can be autocanceled out of a SH except for b-air, for example.

Also, burst movement is a big deal because having a burst move gives you an option in advantage, disadvantage, and neutral. Look at Diddy's Monkey Flip, Sheik's Bouncing Fish, or Pikachu's Quick Attack. These burst options are good for getting out of juggles, good for recovering, good for approaching, and good for following up on advantage (and in Sheik's case, good for edgeguarding). Generally speaking, burst mobility moves are 3x as useful as other moves, since most moves tend to be good in only 1 situation, maybe 2: these moves are good in 5 or 6 situations.

Last edited:

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Deliberate double post:

1. Smash 4
  2. Brawl
  3. Melee
  4. [huge gap]
  5. Anything Else
I group all the Smash Bros games together and they are right at number 5 for my top games. Top 4 is dominated by various RPGs though (Super Mario RPG, Fire Emblem, The World Ends With You, and Etrian Odyssey, in that order).

Smash Bros. games are the only games I play competitively though.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Honestly my favorite competitive game probably isn't Smash (although I like it a lot don't get me wrong!) It's probably Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. It's such a damn deep game for something with 6 buttons, one super combo, and relatively simple movesets.

I'm totally gonna get heat for this LOL

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Deliberate double post:

1. Smash 4
  2. Brawl
  3. Melee
  4. [huge gap]
  5. Anything Else
Good list. I'd probably throw in Smash 64, A Link to the Past, and Majora's Mask for good measure. Smash really is the best game, and the only way it can get better is for Nintendo to get around to releasing the super secret edition with perfect balance, lagless online, and playable Ridley/K. Rool, which is sadly only available in heaven and Nintendo's stupid region locking won't let us import it.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I group all the Smash Bros games together and they are right at number 5 for my top games. Top 4 is dominated by various RPGs though (Super Mario RPG, Fire Emblem, The World Ends With You, and Etrian Odyssey, in that order).

Smash Bros. games are the only games I play competitively though.
TWEWY is super amazing, as are pretty much all of the games being mentioned. There are lots of good games out there!

I mostly am forced to give the top nod to Smash in my personal life as an objective function of total time invested and total net happiness. (Difficult to measure, but largely a function of the former.) This isn't the only criteria one could use, but the one I choose to.

Edit:
The actionable takeaway from all this is, I don't think it's reasonable to evaluate things based on one's capacity to imagine improvements.

Last edited:

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Favorite fighter? It's between Bloody Roar 2/3, Psychic Force 2012, and Street Fighter Alpha 2.

salaboB

Smash Champion
Yeah, I can't help but feel that online play is complete pointless trash in fighting games?

Like inputs have to be consistent for this genre to function, at the most basic level.

Edit: This is one of the reasons why I think fighting games, including Smash, is ultimately a doomed esports genre.
There's netcode (Rollback based) that can handle lag better than this, it's just not popular to use it for some reason.

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
There's netcode (Rollback based) that can handle lag better than this, it's just not popular to use it for some reason.
Rollback based netcode helps in combo-based games, but the "reaction" mechanics based on blocking your opponents attacks (perfect-shielding, etc. etc.) get screwed up no matter how good the netcode is.

Since Smash is a movement / reaction fighter, compared to say... MvC3 (very combo / setup heavy), rollback based netcode won't help Smash too much. Even then, the best netcode in MvC3 doesn't change how overheads suddenly become basically unblockable with online lag.

Sooo... yeah. Netcode definitely won't help Smash, and barely helps competitive "standard" fighters anyway. Its better than nothing of course, but all serious fights are conducted in person with a low-lag TV / monitor for a reason.

Last edited:

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
I mean, that sucks too, but I'm more concerned with the inherent lag of the internet and how totally incompatible that is with fighting games.

Today, online play is 99.99% of competitive gaming. Tomorrow that will be 99.999%, and latency isn't going away.

Tove love: Fighting games have no meaningful future as a successful e-sport. They will only be able to continue as a niche product (though a potentially very successful niche product) for wacky companies like Nintendo who insist on local multiplayer gaming as a "gimmick".

1. Smash 4
  2. Brawl
  3. Melee
  4. [huge gap]
  5. Anything Else
I think fighting games are THE e-sport. Netcode and latency will only improve as technology improves. Team-based games are great, but there is always a space for 1v1 fighting competitions. The potential of the 'all star' dynamic is huge - you root for underdogs, see famous players go against each other, and see how they can bluff/mindgame each other directly. It's a different beast to team competitions, and has a secure spot in the future of esports.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Online play is kinda bad because thanks to the input lag and other things, you end up developing bad habits that work online but don't offline because the lack of latency makes it much easier for the opponent to react to what you're doing.

I don't really have much of an option since I don't think there's a competitive scene where I live, so I have to stick to online.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
It's only really Nintendo of America doing that, unfortunately. They have nothing to do with game development over in Japan, and I doubt anyone over there actually cares about competitive Smash. And even with NOA, they could just be doing it for the sake of advertising Smash 4 and not much else.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Netcode and latency will only improve as technology improves.
Utterly and completely false, beyond the obvious "Yes, there is room for improvement."

Communicating across the US, round-trip, is about 45 milliseconds at the speed of light in fiber.

In practice, our internet backbones see about double this. This is because data is transported through multiple points and hubs, fiber is not laid in perfectly straight paths, and ISPs have to deal with lots of connecting logic. (As stuff like DDoS protection becomes more significant, this will become optimized but only increase.)

Unless the speed of light changes, we're always going to see a minimum of 3-4 frames of lag in online play for anyone not on the same local ISP node.

Team-based games are great, but there is always a space for 1v1 fighting competitions.
I agree, but the viral nature of team-based games results in magnitudes more people playing them. Every player becomes a marketer trying to get their freinds to play, and it spreads.

This is the single most important aspect of any competitive game: People actually playing it.

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
I think fighting games are THE e-sport. Netcode and latency will only improve as technology improves.
While I think Fighting games have potential to become e-sports, they will have to do it without the crutch of the internet.

Latency is limited by... the speed of light... unfortunately. I wish I was kidding. The speed of light is 186,000 miles / second in a vacuum. This is fast, but not fast enough. Fiber optics makes the light travel approximately 30% slower than in vacuum btw, and is commonly estimated at 200,000km/s or 125,000 miles/second.

Lets say a California guy (say.... San Fransico) wanted to play against a New Yorker. This is 2900 miles, and I'm just gonna round that to 3000 for easy math. If San Fransisco is the "host", then the "information" that a button was pushed needs to take two trips: one trip to New York City (San Fransisco guy just pushed the shield button), and one trip back (New York city guy confirms that he got the information). Assuming TCP protocol which sends a Syn-Ack with every bit of information. (This extra trip is necessary to keep the two games in sync).

So the information travels roughly 6000 miles. At 125,000 miles/second, that is approximately 1/20th of a secon... or approximately 3 frames.

TLDR: By the known laws of physics, a player in San Fransico playing against a New York player will have at minimum 3 frames of lag, before even factoring in inefficiencies. Time dilates, and fighting games are so intense that the speed of light cannot keep up with it across great distances.

Last edited:

Conda

Once money flows more freely in the pro gaming industry - which it is starting to, with the boom of sponsors and streaming - local tournaments will become more and more popular and self-sustaining. An industry is forming here, and we have to continue growing alongside it.

Just now on VSGC's stream, the viewers expressed harsh and legitimate criticism over the commentary at one point, which VSGC resolved. That's a big step, as viewers are starting to have higher expectations for stream/content quality and professionalism. This is awesome.

The growth in viewership is the most important thing that will make this happen, as that's where the game gets its vitality as an e-sport. You can't be a pro-level esport where professionals 'work' if people don't watch your events. Without viewers and spectator-relevance, you're just a private game competition. It's the viewership, energy, and high stakes that makes any game a legitimate professional-level esport - where players, hosts, etc don't have day-jobs that they are split between.

The Smash scene understands this and embraces streaming and going all-in when it comes to providing the community with awesome content -- this is what is allowing for the growth of the competitive scene.

Online as practice and the way to build up playership + viewership (popularity of the game), with local money-positive tournaments, is a secure model going forward. We need to continue taking our scene seriously and improving the level of our streams, youtube content, and commentary. The players are doing their part, it's the producers that have a responsibility to bring great content to viewers and players; they have a responsibility to continue increasing the relevance of Smash as a competitive game that people love.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I hope you are correct. This is the only way local-based gaming can succeed.

And there is room for technological improvement in terms of increased stability.

Conda

I hope you are correct. This is the only way local-based gaming can succeed.

And there is room for technological improvement in terms of increased stability.
Not to mention Smash lacks basic regional matchmaking. I, in Toronto, shouldn't be connected with players in Japan for ANY game, let alone a fighting game. But it happens.

With Anyone mode can be very stable, and players have to be serious enough about things to go and buy a 10-15 dollar ethernet adapter and not multitask with their internet as they play online.

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Pretty sure Starcraft Doter and Lug of Legends is what helped esports grow.

Hell 90% of the Sponsored people in melee are from teams that started from League.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Honestly my favorite competitive game probably isn't Smash (although I like it a lot don't get me wrong!) It's probably Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. It's such a damn deep game for something with 6 buttons, one super combo, and relatively simple movesets.

I'm totally gonna get heat for this LOL
pfffff forget people

Mine is real bout fatal fury special. Pretty big cast wih tons of variety and different ways to play, plus with other stuff

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Pretty sure Starcraft Doter and Lug of Legends is what helped esports grow.

Hell 90% of the Sponsored people in melee are from teams that started from League.
Let's keep this about smash guyses. :)
Ah, okay, all I want to mention if possible (I haven't contributed to the discussion yet :p) is that Tekken is one of the bigger revolutionaries in the competitive gaming scene and what it did for it and pretty much set the precedent for the success of most other modern day fighting games. E-sports as a whole at that time was being driven mostly by that alongside Starcraft and Counterstrike. :)

Thanks for the summon, but @san. first alerted me to this possibility. I've used it a couple of times in tournament to good effect. The team is strong, and you can't just choose to fight Charizard instead of Ness to avoid Ness' b-throw because Charizard has a kill throw too (an asset which makes him strong in teams in general).

Haven't been following this topic, but I'll talk about the character I know best with updated impressions: I don't think that Pikachu has any bad matchups. Disjointed characters used to be a problem for me until I started to use more Quick Attack. Most disjointed characters struggle in disadvantage, and QA gets them there. Meta Knight is an exception since he's good in disadvantage, but Meta Knight doesn't have the range or approach options to contest Pikachu. Pikachu seems to go even with Megaman, Greninja, and Sheik, and it's close on a few others (Yoshi doesn't feel too one-sided, for example), but there are no characters who just win.

Among top tiers: sizable wins against Falcon, Fox, Zero Suit Samus, Rosalina, and Sonic; minor wins against Diddy, Mario, and Ness (another MU which is so close as to call even).

Reading this page... mobility is more than just walk speed. There's initial dash speed, max run speed, horizontal and vertical aerial acceleration/deceleration, jump height, and unreactable (or barely reactable) burst moves. Mobile characters aren't just good because they're fast in one way. They're good because they're fast in multiple ways. They also tend to have low-lag moves. Pikachu's entire aerial kit can be autocanceled out of a SH except for b-air, for example.

Also, burst movement is a big deal because having a burst move gives you an option in advantage, disadvantage, and neutral. Look at Diddy's Monkey Flip, Sheik's Bouncing Fish, or Pikachu's Quick Attack. These burst options are good for getting out of juggles, good for recovering, good for approaching, and good for following up on advantage (and in Sheik's case, good for edgeguarding). Generally speaking, burst mobility moves are 3x as useful as other moves, since most moves tend to be good in only 1 situation, maybe 2: these moves are good in 5 or 6 situations.
Ah that's curious, I hadn't considered burst movement options actually. And my perception of 'mobile' has really just been 'able to move around fast' in some form or another, so the rest of this will kinda be me thinking aloud. I think the ability to remove someone else's reaction time from the equation is quite a big deal, and characters like Sonic and Pikachu will do this with 90% of their moveset; I just also find that characters such as Ganny will still have enough mobility and burst to do stuff - wizkick and his faster moves will do a lot for him because he gets more reward off per hit. Of course his overall mobility isn't as strong, but the idea would be that his reward is powerful enough to compensate (though I suppose not really enough to save him from his old weaknesses for the most part).

I wonder, I thought this kind of design could have worked out under the right circumstances. Hmm...

Last edited:

Charls

Smash Cadet
NNID
Cerryx
3DS FC
4983-5396-9144
Completely and utterly agree, Too many people sleep on marth but he still has plenty of tools at his disposal like a good edgeguarding game and a solid neutral game just because Marth may not be as good as his Brawl and Melee counterparts he is still more than Viable as well as capable of Destroying Diddys evidenced further by Mr.E
The Diddy matchup is completely skewed to his favor however; a single set over an online connection really doesn't stand for much when compared to actual theory and tournament evidence. Diddy can dominate Marth regardless of player skill by virtue of his much better frame data and stage control. The biggest problem with Marth, as has been stated and discussed several times through this thread, is how terribly his numbers got hit in the transition to Sm4sh. His frame data is just to limiting. I don't see Marth anywhere lower than right in the middle of mid tier, but struggle to view his potential further than the very floor of high tier (a tall expectation to begin with). I still see Marth players focusing on his very nerfed air game and on comanding the pace of the battle - an area he won't ever excel at. Rather, as his metagame develops I can see his mobility and mindgames much improved through practical use of tech, but his aggresive game slowing down to favor precision and steady tactical approaches. Marth really needs to know when to attack or commit if he wants to succeed at all; less is more with Marth.

Last edited:
3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I love Smash but I think it's absurd to say it had very much influence in "growing esports" or whatever at all.

Until pretty recently we had some of the worst grassroots organizations out there and we also have some of the scummiest, most obnoxiously self-righteous top players of any "esport." Smash's culture grew in very unfortunate ways that are very difficult to change now. When I lived in NJ/NY no one ever played grand finals, they split like every week and everyone's attitude was like "well it makes sense because you get more money than placing second." Like, no **** sherlock, that's how competition works. I've talked about this a lot, but the group of random know-it-alls gathered around a laptop trying to manually seed players was also pretty ****ed up. I'm glad things seem to have improved a bit, but there's still such a long way to go.

I follow competitive Smash, SF4, League, a bit of DOTA. I stay tangentially involved with a few other games but I don't play them. No game's community makes me roll my eyes quite as much as Smash's does, which blows because it's my favorite game. SF4's community isn't perfect but when someone colludes they are ****ing skewered for it. In Smash, anyone complaining is met with reddit downvotes and a bunch of apologists complaining about how entitled we are or whatever. The meatriding is real in Smash and it sucks because we should be holding our top players to a higher standard of sportsmanship. You aren't their friends, it's not your job to defend them when they **** up or do something ****ty.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Burst moves? Now what is that?

Reading more, it's about something like 'mobility moves that has multiple uses'

Doc Nado? Luigi Cyclone? Fox Illusion?
Burst moves would classify as moves that allow you to change positions so quickly that it can often override the opponent's reaction time. Bouncing Fish, Monkey Flip, Phantasm, etc. can often catch you off guard, or at the very least force a hasty reaction that might not be the best option you could have chosen. :)

I would never even think to assume smash had any part in the establishing of e-sports haha. In fact, it's only now that we're beginning to grow enough to the point where playing smash for money might actually be a legitimate thing for more than 2 players in the foreseeable future... and I'm not even sure on that one (I'm just an optimist). :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom