• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I'm not saying that because they say it it's automatically law. It's just a matter of results + what they are saying. Mario's RESULTS have shown me he is a good character (not top 10 or this amazing monster) but a GOOD character. Never would I argue anything else, period. Hell, I think Luigi is still better than him! But Mario in bottom 5 sounds absolutely audacious to me, not to be disrespectful, but it does not click with me. Period.

But I am definitely going to say it's not cool to say things like that about other players to prove your point in that way, IMO, especially not high level/good players.

But I damn well am going to wait for results to stop telling me that Mario is in an alright spot because until then I am of the opinion that he is.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
On Lunch Break at work. Going to make these quick.

Curious about why Mario vs Lucario is in Mario's advantage. That does sounds like one of these MUs where Lucario doesn't get destroyed in neutral since his poor range can actually compete. Mario kill moves are usually dependent on reads and Lucario has better rewards from reads (assuming high aura) and while Mario may have the frame data advantage his average damage output doesn't seems to be enough to pressure Lucario. Then again I don't play with Mario nor Lucario so I may be completely wrong.
Lucario seems scary at first but after playing a number of them I feel his aura mechanic is actually the only thing that keeps this MU in control. Mario still has an attack speed advantage, and Lucario's D-air isn't as quick as it was in Brawl, meaning Mario is capable of racking up damage pretty quickly and then he just needs a few more reads to put him in kill percents. Lucario can do the same to Mario, but he can't put up damage as quickly.

Mario can also FLUDD Lucario's recovery, blocking him from the ledge and forcing him to recover on stage, and that pretty much makes him open season for a U-Smash. Caping Aura Sphere and Side-B just limits his kill options.

Fireballs.
Actually Sonic's Spin Dash is invincible upon starting off and it slight hop over fireballs. They're decent but not the main thing that stops his spin dashes. Mario's N-air and D-air (especially D-air) beats Spin Dash and knocks him out of it. This means Mario can afford to be aggressive against Sonic, which is not a luxury most characters have.

IIRC Mario has only 2 normals with startup over 10 (?) frames: fsmash and fair. The rest come out fast enough to be basically impossible to react to. Maybe usmash if you're superhuman? So his movement isn't speedster-tier, but his attack speed is.

Disclaimer: I'm not certain on the 10 frame number. But there's a threshold where anything faster is below human reaction time and Mario only has 2 moves slow enough to qualify.
F-Smash is 12 frames, F-air is 16 frames. Everything else is below 10 frames with U-Smash starting at frame 9. It's not nessecarily that it can't be reacted to but Mario's attack speed combined with his mobility makes him capable of having a high reaction speed against most fighters to punish them, forcing them to play really safe against him.

I'm open for any disagreements, as long as we're not at A2-levels of theorycrafting.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm about to go on a limb and say that when a LOT of Top Players (not just 2 or 3) seem to agree that Mario is a stellar character, and I play with him and feel essentially the same way, who do I trust?

Do I trust those who net results with him consistently and/or know the metagame and have advanced it further than I?

I'm no master either but pointing out that Mario loses to like 5 or 6 characters doesn't really show me that he's bad? Like I'm sorry but he's always had a damn time with DK (this is pretty empirical and it's nothing new). Also Falco gets destroyed by U-Throw -> Followup of choice at low %. Not really hard to get creative vs. fastfallers.

He probably wants to be the guy who say "I told you so"
when Mario falls down the tier lists like he did
in the last two games. (At least in theory).

I'd like to point out also that A2Z has mentioned before
that many other characters got damage nerfs but conveniently
forgot to mention that here.

And I'm also fairly certain he thinks Smash 4 is still basically
Brawl. Yes, if Smash 4 Mario was in Brawl he'd be a worse
character, but this is not Brawl, no matter how similar they may look.
EVERYONE in this game changed, not just Mario.

And say what will about him vs. Marth in this game, at
least in this game he can do more than pray his opponent misspaces
his Fairs.

@ Nidtendofreak Nidtendofreak it's probably true what you say about Mario,
but A2Z's scathing remarks make people get defensive
and start listing nothing but advantages to counteract his
negativity.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Mario's mobility in this game is in the same caste as Sheik (he has better aerial mobility IIRC?), while being a smaller hurtbox.
Mario may not beat anyone, but he doesn't really lose to anyone much either.
He may still actually lose to marth, but it's not a hard counter (55:45 ish).

Mario's back air (in context) and up-b, up smash and grab game feel heavily buffed to me, look at all of those out of shield options. The mobility specs and really good auto cancels allow him to do a lot.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Actually Sonic's Spin Dash is invincible upon starting off and it slight hop over fireballs. They're decent but not the main thing that stops his spin dashes. Mario's N-air and D-air (especially D-air) beats Spin Dash and knocks him out of it. This means Mario can afford to be aggressive against Sonic, which is not a luxury most characters have.
Fair points about fireballs vs. Sonic. I wasn't really
thinking about how they beat his spin dashes but
more how they slow down his ground game and potentially
force him into the air where he loses the mobility advantage.

I find a lot of people tend to think Sonic is all about
his spin dashes, when in reality it's his dash speed's
ability to create mixups, punish opportunities others would
miss and escape situations that make him truly fearsome.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I'm not saying that because they say it it's automatically law. It's just a matter of results + what they are saying. Mario's RESULTS have shown me he is a good character (not top 10 or this amazing monster) but a GOOD character. Never would I argue anything else, period. Hell, I think Luigi is still better than him! But Mario in bottom 5 sounds absolutely audacious to me, not to be disrespectful, but it does not click with me. Period.

But I am definitely going to say it's not cool to say things like that about other players to prove your point in that way, IMO, especially not high level/good players.

But I damn well am going to wait for results to stop telling me that Mario is in an alright spot because until then I am of the opinion that he is.
Sadly even results can lie to a degree. Happened with "X beats MK" back in Brawl, where a character would get a sudden spike in beating MKs and thus better results and seemingly a 55:45 MU against MK. Then the MKs would figure out the MU within a month and things would drop back down to usual.

To me, I'm not mentally moving Mario and Luigi out of the 25-30 range until the results last a long longer, and come from more players. When I look at the top 10 or even top 15, they have a longer list of things well above average and a shorter list of weakness than those two.

Sheik:
+ Combo Game
+ Projectiles
+ Movement speed
+ Range
+ Frame Data
= Recovery
- Raw killing power

Pikachu:
+ Combo Game
+ Projectiles
+ Movement speed
+ Recovery
= Frame Data
- Raw killing power
- Range

Diddy:
+ Combo Game
+ Flying Command Grab
+ Movement speed
+ Tripping Hazard
+ That one move (stupid Uair)
= Frame Data
= Meh projectile
= Overall average killing power outside of That One Move
- Predictable recovery

Mario:
+ Combo Game
+ Gimp Game
+ Frame Data
+ Movement speed
= Meh projectile
= Overall average killing power
= Recovery
- Range

Luigi:
+ Combo Game
+ Killing Power
= Meh projectile
- Range
- Movement speed
- Predictable/reactable recovery
- Traction?

I'm not going to pretend that this is a flawless list, and I know it will most likely cause arguments somewhere (probably in regards to frame data), but hopefully that describes well what I mean. When I look strictly at the tools, it just doesn't add up for the Mario Bros.

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I don't see how you got top 10 or top 15. But I do NOT see Mario in Bottom 5 or Luigi anywhere outside of mid-high with Mario landing dead center again. I'd never imply otherwise and if I did I am mistaken but, bottom 5 Mario? A bit of a stretch.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
At this point, I feel like even if Mario is bottom 5 somehow he is definitely a tourney viable character. Honestly, isn't that all that matters?

Character rankings this early aren't really going to hold much weight given the possibility of future balance patches and (hopefully) the legalization of custom moves + more diverse stages. Even if those things don't pan out meta shifts can and will still happen, rendering many of the initial rankings obsolete.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Debating over ratio numbers for matchups, when we all acknowledge that the metagame is super young, strikes me as silly and strange as anything else. :p 45:55 30:70 - there's little science here, the numbers aren't meaningful as they're based off of little. I understand that it's theory and impressions, but making them sound like anything but is what may alienate others from taking part in this thread.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
At this point, I feel like even if Mario is bottom 5 somehow he is definitely a tourney viable character. Honestly, isn't that all that matters?

Character rankings this early aren't really going to hold much weight given the possibility of future balance patches and (hopefully) the legalization of custom moves + more diverse stages. Even if those things don't pan out meta shifts can and will still happen, rendering many of the initial rankings obsolete.
That's a good point, if even the bottom 5 characters can win tournaments then that's a good thing and at that point all a tier list represents is squabbling over minutiae.

FullMoon

i'm just joking with you
NNID
INFullMoon
Honestly I think every character in this game is viable, even more so if customs are on.

Tier lists honestly feel more like a novelty than anything else in this game, that's the impression I got.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Debating over ratio numbers for matchups, when we all acknowledge that the metagame is super young, strikes me as silly and strange as anything else. :p 45:55 30:70 - there's little science here, the numbers aren't meaningful as they're based off of little. I understand that it's theory and impressions, but making them sound like anything but is what may alienate others from taking part in this thread.
I personally enjoy MU discussions because they allow me to learn more about characters. MUs as a whole aren't going to be accurate at this stage, but I enjoy the information that comes from it.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
But you start somewhere. Even though the game is young, understanding matchups is still important. At this point in time, X beats Y 60:40 because of all these reasons is still valid. The number is just a quick and dirty summary of the actual thoughts that lead to the number. Of course it's subject to change based on character development, but it's an "at this point in the meta" estimate which is what matters when you go to a tournament now. How the matchup turns out in a year doesn't matter.

The Robin and Shulk boards did a fantastic job on the matchup against each other. To say that they're not meaningful because it's based on so little is to discredit the research and discussion. When something new is brought to the table, I'm sure they will factor it into the matchup and potentially change the number. However, it is important that a foundation is set for matchups.

Mega man v Mario on paper looks like mega man should win, but almost every mega man user has had problems with Mario. Right now, the mega man boards have it in Mario's favor 42.5-57.5 because of those results but the number is just representative of the arguments and knowledge behind it.

Last edited:

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Honestly I think every character in this game is viable, even more so if customs are on.

Tier lists honestly feel more like a novelty than anything else in this game, that's the impression I got.
I've raged and gotten salty over nearly every character online - they've all had the capability to deal with my multiple played characters and prevent me from gaining the upper hand. We have to be sure to realise when its the character who is giving someone the upper hand during a fight, or their play. We've been more aware of this recently as there are some players who can us their chosen character and compete at high levels, but we realise their characters' strengths/weaknesses aren't a factor in their success.

I'm actually very surprised at the skill ceiling, and how much there is for players to master. Even for veteran players of Melee and Brawl.

I just got sandbagged by a Little Mac, a character who I was convinced I wouldn't have trouble with anymore since the 3ds. But nope. :p

When I encounter these players, I wish I could see them playing in tournaments. But alas, many players don't have the time investment for tournaments (one of the reasons I support 2 stock rules), and our community likely also fails to reach out to the non-local-tournament scene - we scoff at online play, which keeps many great players who don't or cannot attend local tournaments essentially 'out' of the spotlight, and not part of the discussion.

Each character can be very scary, we just aren't seeing each character be piloted by someone that makes them scary. But we will as time passes.

Last edited:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
I don't see how you got top 10 or top 15. But I do NOT see Mario in Bottom 5 or Luigi anywhere outside of mid-high with Mario landing dead center again. I'd never imply otherwise and if I did I am mistaken but, bottom 5 Mario? A bit of a stretch.
You haven't said top 10/15. Top level players have. And its annoying. Also seen it in this topic a few times. It just... doesn't add up to that.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
We've been more aware of this recently as there are some players who can us their chosen character and compete at high levels, but we realise their characters' strengths/weaknesses aren't a factor in their success.

Each character can be very scary, we just aren't seeing each character be piloted by someone that makes them scary. But we will as time passes.
1st statement... No. Strengths and weaknesses of a character are always factors in their success. The same player can win with 8 different characters, but that player will win in 8 different ways. The character gives the tools to the player to capitalize on reads or pressure.

If Ally was just fundamentally better at making reads and landing hits, wouldn't it make sense to play a completely read based character in Ganondorf? Maybe he's fundamentally better at weaving, but then he'd excel with Jigglypuff or Wario. He's excelling with Mario because his strengths as a player match the strengths of the character. Synergy.

2nd statement: yes, they can all be scary. But some have potential to be scarier than others, which leads us back to character rankings/tier lists. Just as every pro football team can win on any given Sunday, some teams are better than others. (Go Hawks)

Last edited:

the king of murder

Smash Lord
NNID
Dragongod
3DS FC
4656-7323-6978
OK I have been lurking here a lot. Can anyone explain to me why Ganon is not bottom 5?

I see a lot of comments putting him in mid -low tier but I feel he is overhyped. He still has his old problems from Brawl plus no Thunderstomp and techable side b. I am aware that new mechanic changes like no edge-hogging(and ledge trump to bair is sexy) makes Ganon better. I am also aware that he is a killing machine who murders better than anyone else, not just because of his unmatched power, but because his edgeguarding is scary.

That's all he has going for him, though. You can beat him just by not approaching. Seriously, even if projectiles like Lasers are nerfed he still has a hard time approaching just about anyone, the opponent dictates the games pace. And his Jab is just...well horrible(compared to other jabs). His revovery is predictable and every move is risky to throw out. He probably loses against any top tier, even if not super bad, it's still doable but I don't think Ganon has any advantageous matchups maybe a lot of even ones but name me one character who has a disadvantage against Ganon.

I use Ganon in almost all my matches in Smash 4 and Brawl and I understand the competitive fundamentals so I see myself fit to judge him. I am not a top player like anyone else here though, so I may have overlooked something. Feel free to disagree, but for me, he is bottom 5.

Last edited:

Ryu_Ken

Ace Adventurer and Truth Seeker
NNID
Sorastar9
3DS FC
4725-8061-1333
I have never seen Mario cross with Luigi in a tournament. I would think Mario would have the advantage over Luigi since he has a better projectile, a cape, and kill power, but I don't feel so certain about the MU.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
but name me one character who has a disadvantage against Ganon.
:4charizard: He's almost as unsafe as Ganon and doesn't hit as hard. Charizard loses trades with Ganondorf and doesn't want to try to challenge him directly. He does win offstage but doesn't rack up damage or get kills as easily. Flame Choke goes through his armor and abuses his bad tech roll. Both sides want to play defensively but it ultimately comes down to a guessing game that's slightly weighted in Ganon's favor.

Pyr

Smash Lord
OK I have been lurking here a lot. Can anyone explain to me why Ganon is not bottom 5?

I see a lot of comments putting him in mid -low tier but I feel he is overhyped. He still has his old problems from Brawl plus no Thunderstomp and techable side b. I am aware that new mechanic changes like no edge-hogging(and ledge trump to bair is sexy) makes Ganon better. I am also aware that he is a killing machine who murders better than anyone else, not just because of his unmatched power, but because his edgeguarding is scary.

That's all he has going for him, though. You can beat him just by not approaching. Seriously, even if projectiles like Lasers are nerfed he still has a hard time approaching just about anyone, the opponent dictates the games pace. And his Jab is just...well horrible(compared to other jabs). His revovery is predictable and every move is risky to throw out. He probably loses against any top tier, even if not super bad, it's still doable but I don't think Ganon has any advantageous matchups maybe a lot of even ones but name me one character who has a disadvantage against Ganon.

I use Ganon in almost all my matches in Smash 4 and Brawl and I understand the competitive fundamentals so I see myself fit to judge him. I am not a top player like anyone else here though, so I may have overlooked something. Feel free to disagree, but for me, he is bottom 5.
Ganon has less lag on all non AC aerials. ISIA frames are slightly easier to hit. Upsmash and dtilt still have their ISIA and up smash is now the most powerful upsmash in the game for KOing. Source: Data mined. Thread is in this forum.

Side-B does far more damage. Neutral B has more armor. Up-Tilt is almost always a shield break and the new ledge mechanics add to it's overall usefulness and power. Dair is arguably more useful for general killing. Up-Air is better. D-B is now far better and can heavily punish anyone attacking from bellow when he's over them. His general killing power was improved on nearly everything. Jab isn't worthless now.

He is SIGNIFICANTLY better then his brawl version. The only real problem he still has is getting in. But when he does... It gon hurt.

Edit: Changes listed on the Wiki:

Attributes
  • Ganondorf is heavier than he was in Brawl.
  • Ganondorf is overall a faster character.
Ground attacks
  • Neutral attack has slightly faster start-up lag.
  • Forward tilt has faster start-up, decreased ending lag, and slightly greater reach, while retaining its powerful semi-spike knockback, making it significantly more useful as a spacing tool while retaining its deadly punishing capability.
  • Up tilt's sourspot hitboxes are more powerful, with all sourspot hitboxes of the move now reliably KOing under 75%, while the sweetspot can still KO under 50%. The move additionally deals drastically increased shield damage in all its hitboxes, allowing it to instant shatter even full shields. The explosion also covers even greater range, which when combined with the new airdodge and ledge mechanics, makes the move much easier to trap opponents with.
  • Down tilt has faster start-up lag and increased reach, as well dealing 1% more damage with slightly increased knockback.
  • Dash attack deals 1% less damage and less knockback, making it a bit less effective at KOing (though it can still reliably KO under 150%).
  • Combined with the previous point, the removal of hitstun cancelling gives the dash attack's sourspot newfound ability as a combo starter.
  • Ganondorf no longer lunges farther when forward smash is pivoted, decreasing its reach.
  • Up smash has faster start-up lag, and has significantly increased horizontal reach, allowing it to now hit opponents in front of Ganondorf. Both its sweetspot and sourspot hitboxes also deal 2% damage and stronger knockback.
  • While the front kick of down smash deals 1% less damage, the back kick deals 4% more damage, resulting in the attack dealing increased damage if either both kicks connect or just the back kick.
Aerial attacks
  • Neutral aerial has faster start-up lag, while the first hit deals 1% more damage, and 2% more for the second. It also has less landing lag
  • Forward aerial has slightly faster start-up and ending lag, and significantly decreased landing lag, restoring usefulness similar to the move's Melee counterpart. The sweetspot also covers a larger portion of Ganondorf's arm, making it easier to land with the move's sweetspot instead of the sourspot.
  • Back aerial deals 1% more damage and greater knockback. It also has less landing lag
  • Up aerial has decreased landing lag.
  • Down aerial was weakened, dealing 3% less damage with decreased knockback, though it's still by far the most powerful meteor smash and aerial attack, and can still KO grounded opponents around 100%. Its sourspot also now hits horizontally instead of meteor smashing, and it can no longer autocancel in a short hop, removing its combo starting abilities.
  • Down aerial has slightly less landing lag, though not enough to compensate for the loss of the short hop autocancelling. The new sourspot also allows the move to KO over-stage opponents that the meteor smash would simply knock into the ground.
Grabs and throws
  • Ganondorf's pummel deals 3% instead of 2% damage.
  • Up and down throw has decreased knockback scaling, increasing Ganondorf's capability to follow them up. The former also has slightly less ending lag.
Special moves
  • Warlock Punch is even more powerful when reversed, dealing 4% more damage and being able to KO under 20%. It also now has super armor during its start-up, though only if initiated on the ground, and it loses its armor when Ganondorf punches or if Ganondorf reverses it.
  • A non-reversed Warlock Punch is weaker, dealing 2% less damage, and being survivable to around 50%.
  • Both grounded and aerial versions of Flame Choke deal 3% more damage, and the general start-up decrease of Ganondorf's moves give the grounded version more guaranteed followups. When Ganoncided with, the opponent is now always KO'd before Ganondorf, instead of at the same time or after, meaning Ganondorf will always win if he lands a Ganoncide on the opponent's last stock.
  • The grounded version of Flame Choke can now be teched, though Ganondorf still has significant frame advantage if the opponent techs, giving him guaranteed followups if he reads the tech.
  • Opponents can no longer attack Ganondorf as he releases them from Dark Dive.
  • Dark Dive now has a altered animation with one hand as opposed to two, and it produces more spectacular visual effects, with a noticeably larger finishing explosion.
  • Aerial Wizard's Foot is interruptible much sooner, giving Ganondorf much greater leniency to successfully recover after using it offstage when edge-guarding. This also allows it to be used much closer to the ground without going into its laggy landing animation.

Last edited:

JWrecks

Smash Rookie
Biggest buff to Gannon is ledge trumping and rage IMO.

Other then that you can't ever count him out, he just hits so hard that it really can skew mu's from bad to even.

I don't think he's a great character but I think he's too dangerous to be in his own tier or bottom 5. The issue is on paper he's atrocious, but few characters want to trade with him and fewer characters can afford to slip up against him.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
I wouldn't trust info on the wiki. It was dead wrong about most of Zelda until Aerodrome fixed it, and vague at best on things it actually got right.

Up air? 14 frames of startup and a tiny hitbox, good luck hitting someone with that.
Uair still has 14 frames of start up.
And she lost the super potent kill power it possessed in Brawl. At least it still kills earlier than most uairs and it can be set-up into at low percents.

That's just Uair anyway. I agree that Melee Zelda is much worse. Her tier placement is inflated because she is in a game where a striking amount of the cast is frankly just sad.

Last edited:

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Ganon probably is a bottom 5 character, but its not like that matters considering he still is tournament viable for the reasons other users have stated.
This may just be me, but I have a feeling there will be an extremely small bottom tier in this game as from what I've seen in tournaments, nearly every character is viable vs the current "top tiers" or haven't see enough usage in tournaments to properly judge the character's viability.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
F-Smash is 12 frames, F-air is 16 frames. Everything else is below 10 frames with U-Smash starting at frame 9. It's not nessecarily that it can't be reacted to but Mario's attack speed combined with his mobility makes him capable of having a high reaction speed against most fighters to punish them, forcing them to play really safe against him.

I'm open for any disagreements, as long as we're not at A2-levels of theorycrafting.
F-smash is 15 frames. Mario's high attack speed mostly just means you're not supposed to land next to him, and that he's above average at boxing. But most characters honestly don't care very much about Mario's punishes unless they have terrible physics for juggles. Mario for instance does well against Captain Falcon by design who has relatively poor pokes, and a very bad recovery, even though Falcon as a whole is probably better than Mario.

He probably wants to be the guy who say "I told you so"
when Mario falls down the tier lists like he did
in the last two games. (At least in theory).

I'd like to point out also that A2Z has mentioned before
that many other characters got damage nerfs but conveniently
forgot to mention that here.

And I'm also fairly certain he thinks Smash 4 is still basically
Brawl. Yes, if Smash 4 Mario was in Brawl he'd be a worse
character, but this is not Brawl, no matter how similar they may look.
EVERYONE in this game changed, not just Mario.

And say what will about him vs. Marth in this game, at
least in this game he can do more than pray his opponent misspaces
his Fairs.

@ Nidtendofreak Nidtendofreak it's probably true what you say about Mario,
but A2Z's scathing remarks make people get defensive
and start listing nothing but advantages to counteract his
negativity.
Thing is, while most characters did get damage nerfs, you have to realize mathematically, Mario loses damage exchanges more in this game than he did in Brawl.

The difference between a move that does 13% or 11%, as opposed to a move that does 9% or 7%? The latter difference is significantly bigger in terms of how it affects the number of hits you need to reach KO percents. In Brawl, there were a lot more matchups where even though Mario technically was outdamaged, it hardly made a difference as long as he found hits and went for intelligent U-smash/F-smash punishes when he needed KOs. While that playstyle hasn't really changed, Mario has to land noticeably more hits than basically all of his opponents in this game to get anywhere. And his combo game is still not exactly super reliable.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I have never seen Mario cross with Luigi in a tournament. I would think Mario would have the advantage over Luigi since he has a better projectile, a cape, and kill power, but I don't feel so certain about the MU.
Luigi has the better projectile. It has less recovery, making it more spammable and Luigi can move out of it more easily.

In specs of raw kill power, Mario and Luigi are about even, but Luigi has far more kill moves and actually has kill setups. Mario has a grand total of one kill setup (reverse D-air into U-Smash), and frankly that's very rare to land.

Mario has better neutrals than Luigi, but Luigi neuters Mario's aggression completely thanks to N-air. Mario can do the same to Luigi, but Luigi has more damage, so trading hits is unfavorable for Mario.

The match-up is still being figured out, but frankly Mario has no attack speed advantage, can be combo'd by Luigi, and if he's off-stage, he's in complete danger if he goes low (Cyclone gimps ruin Mario). This entire match-up is Mario forcing Luigi to approach him (which is possible thanks to cape), and utilizing his defensive specs (mobility, Up-B OOS, Cape, spaced B-air and N-air). Luigi has a pretty solid advantage in this MU.

This may be the only MU where I would consider going Doc.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Mario has more kill set ups than just that. Any weak hits of moves like bair, nair or his tilts can knock people into the ground and if they miss the tech it's a guaranteed up smash because it hits so low; otherwise following up/reacting/reading the weak hits can often be up smash or back air confirms.

Fox has the same thing.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Mario has more kill set ups than just that. Any weak hits of moves like bair, nair or his tilts can knock people into the ground and if they miss the tech it's a guaranteed up smash because it hits so low; otherwise following up/reacting/reading the weak hits can often be up smash or back air confirms.

Fox has the same thing.
Seriously? I'll have to test that...

@ A2ZOMG A2ZOMG You're right, Mario's F-Smash is 15. I mistook it for Luigi's F-Smash.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Abuse your sakurai angles (especially on moves with sour spots) and people messing up techs =)
Before a certain amount of knockback they're pushing them into the floor, so depending on timing or expectation you can get them often.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Luigi has the better projectile. It has less recovery, making it more spammable and Luigi can move out of it more easily.

In specs of raw kill power, Mario and Luigi are about even, but Luigi has far more kill moves and actually has kill setups. Mario has a grand total of one kill setup (reverse D-air into U-Smash), and frankly that's very rare to land.

Mario has better neutrals than Luigi, but Luigi neuters Mario's aggression completely thanks to N-air. Mario can do the same to Luigi, but Luigi has more damage, so trading hits is unfavorable for Mario.

The match-up is still being figured out, but frankly Mario has no attack speed advantage, can be combo'd by Luigi, and if he's off-stage, he's in complete danger if he goes low (Cyclone gimps ruin Mario). This entire match-up is Mario forcing Luigi to approach him (which is possible thanks to cape), and utilizing his defensive specs (mobility, Up-B OOS, Cape, spaced B-air and N-air). Luigi has a pretty solid advantage in this MU.

This may be the only MU where I would consider going Doc.
just remember to consider luigi being off stage against mario can mean death pretty early since luigis pretty susceptible to marios gimp game.

BSP

Smash Legend
On the topic of Mario, I think he has a slightly better MU against Pac-Man than we do against him. And there's one reason for that: Mario's Cape. His Cape makes us HAVE to approach as we can't just spam him with fruit or a hydrant until he screws up and makes a mistake. Pac is versatile, but with going against a character with a reflector and one with good frame data, it's super hard for us to get it. Its definitely not unwinnable, but its difficult. I'd say a good 7:3 in Mario's favor.
I'd go 55:45 Mario's favor at most. I've played the MU from both sides, so I think I've got a decent idea of what goes on.

Mario's cape shouldn't force Pac Man to approach any more than a % deficit does. Cape is a good reflector, but it doesn't invalidate fruits or hydrant. The reflection window is small enough that Pac Man can still nail Mario with fruits if he predicts the cape, and if Pac Man reads a cape attempt, he can punish accordingly with an aerial, roll -> something, or wait out the cape and then run up and grab. That being said, Pac Man does have to be much more careful in using fruits because the reflection threat is real.

As Mario, I wouldn't sit back and let Pac Man get keys because they make standing, short hop, and full hop fireballs unsafe. I can't fireball camp him either because Pac Man can use his side B pellet to block the fireball(s) and heal himself, or shield himself with the hydrant and stand on or behind it. I also don't want to let him set up trampolines because they force me airborne when I do approach. While Mario doesn't necessarily mind being in the air, forcing him airborne frees up Pac Man from having to deal with his absurd ground attack speed somewhat, and Mario can't grab him while if he's coming from the air. If Mario jumps over the trampoline while facing Pac Man, Bair and Fair are pretty great for poking him for doing so, and if does anything over a SH, Uair will beat anything he has coming down.

The main problem in this MU for Pac Man is Mario's CQC game. With his Mario's great frame data and Pac Man's atrocious grab, the latter's best option if Mario gets in is to shield because majority of Mario's moves are faster and have lower commitment. Pac Man's smashes do have more range, but they are a hard commitment, and he gets punished hard if they get read. Mario on the other hand can jab, Ftilt, Dtilt, grab, SH bair, and much more without much fear of repercussions if he spaces properly (Mario does have to respect Nair and up B OOS, but they become significantly less threatening if he properly spaces his attacks).

As far as offstage goes, if Pac Man doesn't devote any of his offstage time to charging fruit, I don't see Mario gimping him ever. Side B covers a large distance, up B does too and makes Pac Man immune to meteors, and in general he's a floaty character that doesn't have to stress too much about returning.

If Mario saves his DJ and recovers low, I don't see Pac Man gimping him very often either, but he will be susceptible to the hydrant + trampoline ledge combo, which I forsee Mario having a difficult time getting around safely (but then again, who doesn't?)

Pac Man has to be careful with the hydrant in this one. He can use it to keep Mario honest during combo attempts, but cape can reflect it up back at him and it still hits. Mario can also launch it quite easily and quickly, but it can still be effective for messing with his approach attempts.

I strongly disagree with this. Pac-man can still fake out mario's cape. I never have trouble fighting him in this match up as long as I play safe against him and don't try to camp him out. Our close range game is great enough to combat his (especially on the ground where we are superior to him in range.) and we still have the trampoline to mess up his approach and we gimp him HARD. His cape doesn't fully stop our projectile game, we just have to play smarter.
I would disagree with Pac Man's CQC being good enough to compete. Between his 2 frame jab, 5 frame Dsmash, Usmash, and grab, I think we're at a clear disadvantage if Mario is close but not right on top of us.

I'd disagree with gimping Mario hard too. If he recovers low and saves his DJ, he's not that easy for Pac Man to gimp.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I'd go 55:45 Mario's favor at most. I've played the MU from both sides, so I think I've got a decent idea of what goes on.

Mario's cape shouldn't force Pac Man to approach any more than a % deficit does. Cape is a good reflector, but it doesn't invalidate fruits or hydrant. The reflection window is small enough that Pac Man can still nail Mario with fruits if he predicts the cape, and if Pac Man reads a cape attempt, he can punish accordingly with an aerial, roll -> something, or wait out the cape and then run up and grab. That being said, Pac Man does have to be much more careful in using fruits because the reflection threat is real.

As Mario, I wouldn't sit back and let Pac Man get keys because they make standing, short hop, and full hop fireballs unsafe. I can't fireball camp him either because Pac Man can use his side B pellet to block the fireball(s) and heal himself, or shield himself with the hydrant and stand on or behind it. I also don't want to let him set up trampolines because they force me airborne when I do approach. While Mario doesn't necessarily mind being in the air, forcing him airborne frees up Pac Man from having to deal with his absurd ground attack speed somewhat, and Mario can't grab him while if he's coming from the air. If Mario jumps over the trampoline while facing Pac Man, Bair and Fair are pretty great for poking him for doing so, and if does anything over a SH, Uair will beat anything he has coming down.

The main problem in this MU for Pac Man is Mario's CQC game. With his Mario's great frame data and Pac Man's atrocious grab, the latter's best option if Mario gets in is to shield because majority of Mario's moves are faster and have lower commitment. Pac Man's smashes do have more range, but they are a hard commitment, and he gets punished hard if they get read. Mario on the other hand can jab, Ftilt, Dtilt, grab, SH bair, and much more without much fear of repercussions if he spaces properly (Mario does have to respect Nair and up B OOS, but they become significantly less threatening if he properly spaces his attacks).

As far as offstage goes, if Pac Man doesn't devote any of his offstage time to charging fruit, I don't see Mario gimping him ever. Side B covers a large distance, up B does too and makes Pac Man immune to meteors, and in general he's a floaty character that doesn't have to stress too much about returning.

If Mario saves his DJ and recovers low, I don't see Pac Man gimping him very often either, but he will be susceptible to the hydrant + trampoline ledge combo, which I forsee Mario having a difficult time getting around safely (but then again, who doesn't?)

Pac Man has to be careful with the hydrant in this one. He can use it to keep Mario honest during combo attempts, but cape can reflect it up back at him and it still hits. Mario can also launch it quite easily and quickly, but it can still be effective for messing with his approach attempts.

I would disagree with Pac Man's CQC being good enough to compete. Between his 2 frame jab, 5 frame Dsmash, Usmash, and grab, I think we're at a clear disadvantage if Mario is close but not right on top of us.

I'd disagree with gimping Mario hard too. If he recovers low and saves his DJ, he's not that easy for Pac Man to gimp.
Well we do have to consider the rediculous range pacman has on his ftilt and dtilt which both come out really fast (frame 5 and 7 respectively) and help us keep Mario away. But I would agree that if Mario gets too close, we start to falter.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Biggest buff to Gannon is ledge trumping and rage IMO.

Other then that you can't ever count him out, he just hits so hard that it really can skew mu's from bad to even.

I don't think he's a great character but I think he's too dangerous to be in his own tier or bottom 5. The issue is on paper he's atrocious, but few characters want to trade with him and fewer characters can afford to slip up against him.
This is a flawed perspective.

I used to have this rationale in regards to Snake and Meta Knight a while ago in the earlier days of competitive Brawl. I was quite convinced that Snake was the best character in the game because, while Meta Knight has less unfavourable match ups, Snake's comeback potential and the severity of punishment for making mistakes against Snake was too high that realistically he was the better character. The amount of damage, knock back, and hitbox range Snake had was absurd. The premise amongst the community was that Meta Knight needed to just play the match up properly, not make mistakes, and Snake would lose. I didn't think this was very pragmatic because you can't always play perfectly and a smart Snake player will make plays happen, and the reward for those opportunities is so high that the Snake will win.

History played itself out, and what did we see. As Meta Knight players got better at the match up, and didn't make mistakes, they basically walked all over Snake. Nothing changed about Snake, his kit was still absurd, but within a competitive context players found a way to just play correctly all the time, or correctly enough to a degree where the things that would normally skew the match up the other way never became relevant.

Case in point, Ganondorf hits like a truck, but against players who are skilled (and only getting more skilled) and understand Ganondorf as a character, they're never going to even let you start your vehicle. That's my take on this.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I think certain thinks like power shield dash attack or dash uair are completely legit on ganon and getting two of those "reads" (and the consistent-ish follow ups) is enough to take a single stock... just two reads. But yeah, that means you have to let him power shield something within that range that he can punish you with those options.

Djent

Smash Champion
@ Ulevo Ulevo , while you might still be right about Ganon's viability, your Snake example is poor. Meta Knight wins the MU, but didn't really "walk all over" Snake at all.

Toward the end of the game's life, Snake still got results. Ally is still undefeated vs. Anti and Nairo, for instance. Even more surprisingly, MVD once managed to beat Ally with Snake (Ally went MK). If anyone knows how to wreck Snake, it should be Ally, and yet his matches vs. good Snakes were very close. Even M2K would sometimes still lose to Ally's Snake.

Compare this to the other characters who were supposed to not lose badly to MK. Diddy was really only a problem for Zero. Pikachu was really only a problem for Ally. Olimar performed well for awhile, but kind of fizzled out near the end, with Nietono famously claiming that "Olimar can't win against MK." The only characters who definitely did better results-wise were ICs and Falco, with Fox still looking promising but having too little representation for us to be sure.

So yeah, if you're not willing to play the ditto, Snake is still one of your best bets vs. MK. :snake:

EDIT: Sorry, I realize this is verging on off-topic, but it's at least potentially relevant to the discussion of character archetypes. If I had to draw a conclusion from all of this, it'd be that "perfect play" is difficult to achieve even for people who know exactly what to do.

Last edited:

yoyoX

Smash Rookie
Starting something new, i feel like jigglypuff is under rated
She have a very good air game and her crouch let her dodge some attacks and grab giving her the possibility to counter with rest or U-air chains
What are the thoughts?

Pyr

Smash Lord
Starting something new, i feel like jigglypuff is under rated
She have a very good air game and her crouch let her dodge some attacks and grab giving her the possibility to counter with rest or U-air chains
What are the thoughts?
I think she's really scary in the air. Back air is a lot stronger now, and Fair can still wall of pain really well. Not to mention her tilts feel like they aren't horrible and her Fsmash kills decently early. Plus Sing was buffed to the point where it might as well be a shield break and, if ANY of the opponents hurtbox hits it, they go to sleep. Period. It's hilarious to throw it out and have them try to punish just to fall to sleep before their hit box hits Jigs.

She needs more rep. I got a feeling she's underrated, despite her weight.

To clarify on sing a bit real quick: If Sing's hitbox hits their hurtbox before the punish hit's Jigs hitbox (and sing is slightly disjointed, do remember), their attack immediately stops, fails to hit, and they go for a nap into the blast zone. Falcons Fsmash? He goes to sleep most the time and it fails to land on jigs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom