• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character changes: Yay or Nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kay kay

Just take the time to admire my signature
ok so this thread concerns the issue of complaints about characters changes being poorly done. I am actually quite surprised at how many people are upset about change being so minimal, mostly because I don't really see how it's so minor. So some questions related to this idea are:

Which characters could be changed and what changes would you make?
What do you think about the changes in characters in general? Major or minor, bad or good?

I've also seen many ideas on better final smashes for the characters, you can list those too if you'd like. Now what about in terms of design? a lot have said NO to links new design, and even zelda.
There is even rage about Zero Suit Samus's new boots, and Kirby being too round now.
( These are changes in design )

Discuss and express your opinion on changes in characters.

( I understand that Sakurai continues to surprise us with changes of his own, but this is all just a matter of perspective in others ideas )

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
  • Mario's Final Smash needed to be changed. ✘
  • Toon Link needed the Deku Leaf and other content found in Windwaker to help differentiate him from Link. ✘
  • Toon Link also needed a new Final Smash. ✘
  • Vibrant colors look better than the dull colors in Brawl. ✔
  • Pikachu's model looks glorious. ✔
  • DK looks better than he did in Brawl on the Wii U. ✔
  • Bowser needed a new Final Smash. ✘
  • Bowser's changes look fantastic and so does his model. ✔
  • Ike's new model is better than his old. ✔
  • Transformations are gone. ✘
  • Zero Suit's face is improved. ✔
  • Lucario's Final Smash changed. ✔
  • Charizard's Final Smash changed. ✔
  • Luigi's Final Smash changed. ✔
  • Zero Suit's Final Smash changed. ✔
  • Kirby's Final Smash changed. ✔
  • Pit's Final Smash changed. ✔
  • Olimar can only have 3 Pikmin out. ✘
  • Olimar has a new Up-Special. ✔
  • Charizard has Flare Blitz. ✔
  • Charizard's model looks low-poly count. ✘

✘ = 7
✔ = 14

Last edited:

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Pawsitives:
Vibrant Colors
More Balancing (LOOKINGATYOU,METAKNIGHT.WHENEVERYOUGETANNOUNCED...)
Lots of cool new characters (Like Mii Fighters, Little Mac, Pac-Man and SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT)
Faster than Brawl
Mr. Game & Watch is back, according to a non-recorded part of the Roundtable Discussion (always a plus)
ZSS Got more of an improvement
No more Transformation Characters (good riddance to the Trainer's Stamina Mechanic, Flare Blitz 4 Dayz)

Nyegetives:
Still can't read Mario's Poker Face
Shy Guy/Kamek de-confirmed (Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo)
Mr. Game & Watch isn't announced on the Website yet (hurry uuuup)
Shiek/Toon Link didn't get a new FS
Metal Blade has too much lag (Just my little nitpik)

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I enjoy this thread.

I will get more indepth, but first that come to mind.

DK still has no final smash worthiness.
Yoshi is allegedly much different now.... well he is cuter, but plays differently?
Transformations. I dont mind, but this may kill a favorite character, and should mean IMPA, and leaves two Samuses. So. I am indifferent.

I guess I'm in a negative place. I will come back. Just want to bump the thread

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
:4bowser: Moveset: speed buff, great. Model: looks sooo much better, it looks like Bowser instead of Godzilla
:4dk: Moveset: speed buff, new dash attack. Model: His hair looks great this time...but looks too big. I feel fear for him to be a sandbag again.
:4myfriends: Moveset: hope for speed buff and the Fox treatmeant (you know, SideB > Up B). Model: one of the best in this game, fits him better with his playstyle, but in some pics his hair looks off .
:4mario: Moveset: no changes...that could be bad, I hope custom moves makes FLUDD a little bit usable. Model: overall's texture looks better than Brawl.
:4marth: Moveset: the same, different metagame for the new physics and mechanics...I feel fear for him. Model: better colors and design, looks a bit more manly than his Brawl incarnation and more like the pretty boy from Melee.
:4tlink: Moveset: same as Link again, dumb. Model: his hair is more blonde, that's good.
:4yoshi: Moveset: no changes, only the rainbow egg. Model: new stand, like Bowser, that's good.
:4zelda: Moveset: some people say Zelda was nerfed and buffed a little bit, ugh. Model: greaaaaat is so pretty, looks too much better than Brawl despite being the Twilight Princess design again. I don't know what they do exactly.
:4zss: Moveset: Jet Boots are unnescesary, but they give her more kicks and powerful attacks. Model: face improved, boobs improved, gun-laser-whip improved...only the heels seems out of place.

Other things

Link's face looks weird, but is so much better than his new Zelda U design. Mario is grumpy again. Why they buff Diddy's range?. Peach's render pose is weird.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
As I mostly only play the Mario-verse crew it's a mixed bag to me:

Good stuff:
  • Yoshi can finally leap out his shield! FINALLY.
  • Yoshi also seems to be faster and have a few buffs that should allow him to put up more of a fight.
  • Super Dragon hasn't been changed to a giant egg like the fans suggested it would.
  • Bowser has been drastically overhauled and currently is looking like a competent fighter.
  • Luigi finally got his Poltergust in there somewhere!
  • Luigi's waggling legs in the air.
  • Peach's model looks a lot better than in Brawl.
  • Everyone's a lot more expressive! Especially DK.
  • DK has his roll. FINALLY.
Bad stuff:
  • Mario. Still has FLUDD which hasn't received a notable buff at the very least.
  • Mario; Final Smash still looks insanely easy to avoid and nigh useless. Again.
  • Not actually sold on Bowser and Yoshi's models. Whilst both are better from a gameplay standard they seem a lot cuter...Yoshi is to be expected but even Bowser looks less monsterous.
  • Peach still not having a reference to her starring game...not even Perry as her parasol!
  • As a Toad fan I'm disappointed he's still just her meatshield and the more appropriate Toadsworth hasn't been switched in instead.
  • Diddy's official art is horrible. The model is okay, but seeing him next to DK makes the two seem like they're not even from the same series which is perplexing.
Also I want to see some of these damn moveset changes Peach has apparently undertaken already. So far I don't see anything outside visual effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom