• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character analyses - Why do you love Lucina?

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
So, I've decided to take a page from my good friend, @ Wintropy Wintropy , and create a thread dedicated to why we love Lucina as a character. I may not have the writing skills as she does but I shall endeavour to do my best and hopefully express why I love Lucina SO much! <3 Thank you @ Wintropy Wintropy for inspiring me to create such a thread and for your strong love for your own characters.

To start off, let me regal to you the story of my first encounter with Lucina in Awakening and go from there.

When "Marth" was finally revealed to be Lucina in chapter 13, I in no way saw this coming. In fact, I was incredibly surprised by the very fact that she was Chrom's daughter from the future. I had really liked her character when she was personifying "Marth" and after she was revealed to be a woman but it wasn't until chapter 13 that solidified my love, admiration and respect for Lucina as a character. When Chrom said to Lucina, "You deserved better from me than one sword and a world of troubles. I'm sorry," and Lucina started to cry, I was both in shock and in tears by the revelation of everything that had just happened. Here's the cutscene so you understand what I mean and why I felt this way.

Lucina had gone through so much before reaching this point. She had lost her parents, family and some friends to Grima and the Risen, had to rule Ylisse in the absent of her parents at such a young age, had to experience a hellish apocalyptic world that was full of despair, death and ruin, was separated from her allies/time travelling friends, masqueraded as someone she was not for around two years, not to mention was alone most if not all of the time within that two year time span after Gangrel's death, and had her parents and loved ones right in front of her many times but couldn't say anything so she didn't mess with the timeline. Yet, within the moment she revealed her true self as Lucina, the mask came off, the barriers dropped, and all the burdens she carried, the anguish and sadness she had kept inside was finally released because of her father's tender words and the relief of finally being Lucina once more.

It was a moment I will never forget, and one that touched me on a level that I didn't think was possible. I rarely cry or tear up with video games, but Fire Emblem: Awakening was most definitely a welcome exception. From that point on, I wanted to know more about Lucina as a character and I felt a connection with her because in many ways, I could relate given how much hardship I had gone through in the last few years of my life and how I constantly had to wear masks to hide my true feelings from others and so I could remain strong for others because I needed to. While I never had to go through even a fraction of the horrible things she went through, I still know the pains and suffering of loss, of being someone your not due to circumstances and trying to be strong for others because you have to, not because you want to.

And when I began to invest myself into the support conversations with Lucina and Robin, I grew to love her even more. I saw a strong, independent and a very wise woman within Lucina, a woman who was constantly worried about the future and felt the burden of changing fate itself rested upon her and her alone. Yet, within Robin and Lucina's support conversation, it's clear that she's no longer alone, that she doesn't have to carry the weight and responsibility of the future by herself any more because of Robin, Chrom, her mother, the Shepards and of course her allies and friends were there to support her. Lucina had also grown up too fast because she was thrust into a hellish world that required her to become someone far more than what she was currently. However, she proved to be up to the task and it's clear that she had become a woman long before even entering adulthood. But because of this, she was missing a sense of innocence that had been taken from her and it's through the various support conversations with her parents that we see that innocence and child like Lucina come out. Also, her support conversations with Robin really convey to me that these two broken characters are able to become complete because of each other, because they want a better future for themselves for a past that is lost to them.

At the end of chapter 21, when Lucina pointed her sword at me and demanded that I forfeit my life for Chrom, I wept like a little child but the choice was not difficult for me to make. I would have given anything to see Lucina smile once more and so that she may have the future she desired and wanted, even at the cost of my own life. It was such a heart wrenching moment, to see Lucina struggle with the very notion of killing her own husband, the man she loved to save the future of everyone, including her father. If any moment within this game was the pinnacle moment for Lucina, I would have to say it was this very scene with her and Robin. It was emotional, raw and was truly deep and sad as that scene still echoes into my mind to this very day. I cry every time I see this scene and I'm not afraid to admit it because it was Lucina at her best, a woman determined to do anything to change the very fate of her future, even if that meant killing the one man she loved or, if you were were married to Chrom as the female Robin, the mother she loved dearly and admired.

She is the epitome of a strong, independent, wise, and truly beautiful woman and because of that, I became enamored with her character and knew that my player avatar had to marry her as soon as possible. As a man, I am very much attracted to women like Lucina as she personifies the best characteristics of a woman in my personal opinion. She's beautiful, both on the inside and the outside, is a passionate woman of truth and right, has strong moral convictions and isn't afraid to stand up for them, is just as fragile on the inside as you or I but is able to retain a sense of self and strength to overcome her weaknesses and follies. We need more female characters like Lucina who are bursting with depth and complexity, who has a beauty that doesn't need to be shown through cleavage or exposing flesh, and who makes us as individuals want to be come a better human being overall.

She is without a doubt, my favorite female character in all of video gaming alongside the likes of Palutena from Kid Icarus: Uprising and Naoto from Persona 4. I love her as a female character and I love her as a Smash Bros. character, clone and all. Lucina has awakened my heart to her absolutely stunning personality, beauty and of course her voice done by Laura Bailey. Thanks for reading my wall of text if you did and please feel free to express your feelings, opinions and reasons for why you love Lucina.

“I challenge my fate!”

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Well, that sums up my thoughts on her. You forgot to mention she cleans up nice

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I literally have nothing to add. You've pretty much taken everything I would have said.

XKan

Smash Apprentice
Ah, in all honesty I was most fond of the character design itself. : ) The reveal of the daughter was nice, and actually being a woman was a lingering feeling that was nice to see confirmed. I had a mother/daughter relationship with her, rather than a in-game lover sort.

Out of game, she is a nice character, perhaps not among favorites of all time, but certainly when it comes to character that I like represented in Smash Brothers.

McAwesome

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1650-1194-4308
I had a mother/daughter relationship with her, rather than a in-game lover sort.
My first playthrough I did FemRobin and didn't know about Chrom's automatic marriage, so I ended up as her mother. Next playthrough with male Robin, I ended up as her lover. Alternate dimensions are weird.

XKan

Smash Apprentice
My first playthrough I did FemRobin and didn't know about Chrom's automatic marriage, so I ended up as her mother. Next playthrough with male Robin, I ended up as her lover. Alternate dimensions are weird.
I wasn't aware anything would come out of it when I played it years ago : ) So it was a pretty nice surprise to see not only did Chrom sort of rush me into this marriage, but then that she was the daughter, too! XD

I never actually completed a male Robin run :\

McAwesome

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1650-1194-4308
I wasn't aware anything would come out of it when I played it years ago : ) So it was a pretty nice surprise to see not only did Chrom sort of rush me into this marriage, but then that she was the daughter, too! XD

I never actually completed a male Robin run :\
It's the only way Anna can be married off, so there's motivation to do a male Robin run.

Matoi Knight

Smash Apprentice
NNID
katarina-hatsune
3DS FC
5215-0514-7118
I'm just a huge fan of Lucina because in terms of gameplay, I've liked playing Marth, but I could never land the tipper, so she suits my playstyle a bit more since she has equal damage throughout every part of her Parallel Falchion. In terms of Lucina as a character, I just think she looks awesome. I dunno, I always had a thing for female characters that were badass enough to fight for themselves.

A Gray Person

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gray21oh
3DS FC
1719-3271-0480
To get it out of the way as a character in Smash I'm generally fine with clones. With her having a well rounded blade compared to Marth with a tipper I think can lead to a much more aggressive style and a character that's great for people who want to try and learn how to get hits in.

And scuse me for getting a bit long winded here.

As a character I will say I'm sorta on the same boat as everyone else here. Though I was already aware of her before I got the game due to other people making mentions of her and how Marth's section on Brawl Vault started filling up with skins of her (I only got the game around the beginning of this year) she did seem like an interesting character.

I'll say that her design I find cool and amusing at the same time because she's well, paying some homage to Marth. Also am I still the only one to find it funny that she turned out to be female? Reminds me of the people that mistook Marth as one.

I really enjoy her character with her determination of changing the future, the length's she will go for trying and yet also trying to be a bit more eased when there isn't any war happening. I feel like I'd just be rehashing what Syrek mentioned in his post for the rest of this here so I might detour to her pairing with Robin.

I was looking up a guide on children builds for the game and when I got down to Morgan the name that stuck out to me the most was Lucina. I had a thought most other people would probably had "Marrying Robin to a child unit?!" though I wasn't really creeped out by this since I was at around a chapter near 13 and already felt that the writing is already self aware of itself in a way. That or I always had the assumption that future characters don't necessarily have to be associated with the same characters of that time except for maybe lineage reasons.

So I got their supports up thinking it could be something amusingly hilarious and I found it to turn into something really sweet for the two of them. And it really grew to be one of my favourite pairings in the game not only for a kickass Morgan, but a really sweet couple that are pretty devoted to each other.

Also, Chapter 21's scene, that dialogue from the hot spring scramble, the ending panel, I cried like a little baby. Then again I feel I tend to get over emotional over a lot of things.

To put it in a nutshell think Lucina is one of the best characters in that game along with being one of the best units and best waifu.

As a guy who as already a ton of favourite female characters (do I need to bring up the Touhou characters?) Lucina is definitely one of the top ones.

EDIT: Meanwhile I'm having trouble with spoiler brackets.

Last edited:

McAwesome

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1650-1194-4308
I was looking up a guide on children builds for the game and when I got down to Morgan the name that stuck out to me the most was Lucina. I had a thought most other people would probably had "Marrying Robin to a child unit?!" though I wasn't really creeped out by this since I was at around a chapter near 13 and already felt that the writing is already self aware of itself in a way. That or I always had the assumption that future characters don't necessarily have to be associated with the same characters of that time except for maybe lineage reasons.
Since the Outrealm Gate established alternate histories in parallel universes as canon, I had no issues with Robin marrying a child generation character, since...
As the avatar of Grima, he/she is a strange aberration of the universe anyway, as is Morgan. The end credits even admit that Morgan was probably from a different world than the other child generation characters, so I just accept that anything's possible with Robin involved.

3DSplayer

Smash Cadet
NNID
ArcanineTrainer
I played Awakening after she was announced for Smash Bros, so I never got to experience the shock of finding out Marth was Lucina. I did however, began to really love Lucina after the male robin support conversations. Most of you already summed up my reasons for liking Lucina.

pinkhairedprotagonist

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0103-9004-1386
The first time I played Awakening I married Chrom and loved Lucina as a daughter (and Chrom was a pretty great husband, too), and that's the only way I like to play Awakening now because of just how much I loved that family (Morgan included). Just got lots of motherly feelings for her.

HdTyvek

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-1655-5444
this is an awesome thread, while you covered most of the stuff i would say im just gonna throw some of my inputs in as well.
First playthrough i was male robin, and while chrom ended up with sumia, i did not marry anyone else in this playthrough. EXCEPT for robin/lucina.

From the beginning when she was introduced as "marth" i knew she was going to be a cool character. and i was right. Moving to the reveal scene with the tears was when i really started to like her as a character, the scene was just great.

Finally, i truly fell in love with her during the murder scene. while most people say the mother version is the better scene, i believe that the married version is the best and it really hit home on my first time through the game and remains my favorite scene in the whole game.

overall, i just love everything about lucina! her design is awesome and her character and story is simple, yet complex at the same time. glad to meet all of you other lucina fans :4lucina:

JJpalmer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jjpalmer
3DS FC
2664-2947-4020
my first playthru i played as a fem avatar so she ended up being my avatars daughter shes the perfect daughter and such a good person i respect her noble attitude

Alaya

Smash Cadet
I mostly love her palette swaps, the Fire Emblem Awakening representation, and that she's not the kind of smash character that has any real 'cheap' feeling moments (not projectile spam, not shiek speed or air combo ability, doesn't have crazy damage or knockback, no super armor, no reflector, no high speed horizontal roll punisher special, no jab infinite, no 5 air hops, no 'lucina-cide' moves, etc.). When I win with Lucina, I feel like it was a pretty well earned win.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Pretty much the same reason what everyone has said. I enjoyed playing Awakening a lot and she is definitely an amazing character with a noble attitude who's willing to do anything to protect her beloved father. And I should mention that "I challenge my fate!" is perhaps my favorite quote from her.

JJpalmer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jjpalmer
3DS FC
2664-2947-4020
all the fire emblem characters make me feel that way shame im more destructive with shiek but i loved awakening

WyvernLord

Smash Cadet
NNID
WyvernLord
3DS FC
0860-3366-4038
Ever since her character was announced/ leaked for Awakening i pretty much knew she was going to be one of my favorites. Once i got the game and got her some supports with My self insert Robin she's easily become my tied (with Ike) favorite fire emblem character; and have played every fire emblem game. I don't really have much more to say other than she ticks all my boxes

- Tomboy
- Very endearing personality
- Seems to genuinely care about her father/mother/lover/family
- Blue hair
- Them in game stats yo
- Voiced by Laura bailey
- Pretty damn good lookin':p

Suzie

The Epitome of an Unparalleled Knight
Aside from Lucina being fun to play as, I like her as a character in general too ! She has a kind and strong personality, and is very pretty too. Plus, I really like her name as well. It made me really glad to see her announced for Smash awhile back :DD

But mostly everyone has summed up on why I love Lucina ~

Lichi

This is my war snarl
I always enjoyed playing Marth in the previous Smash games, but in Smash 4 it is Lucina all the way. It just comes down to the fact that she looks way better wearing a tiara.
Oh and her colour themes are just so much better in comparison.

CCTANK93

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CCTANK93
3DS FC
4296-3062-4792
Ever since I played Awakening and learned who Lucina was, I became interested in her character. She had been a mystery until the mask comes off and you get to know more about her. I always liked her sense of duty and purpose. She always felt like she needed to protect her comrades at any cost and I respected her for it. I knew that I wanted my avatar to marry her once I learned that the option to was available. As soon as I saw that she would be playable in this new Smash, I completely lost it. Even though she is a clone, I was glad that we were able to have her join the Smash Bros. family. Her non-tipper play style leads to a more aggressive rush down style, which is my favorite way to play. I even decided to main Lucina over Sonic, who is my favorite character of all time. Lucina will always hold a place as my favorite female protagonist and I hope she has more roles in future Fire Emblem or Smash Bros games.

Last edited:

DiggersBoy

Smash Apprentice
Oh, quite simple. As a kid, my "main" was Roy in Melee. I think my 3 year old way of thinking was "He's cool, he has a sword, and a lot of fire! He's cooler than Link or that princess Marth!" I played him for about 3 years, a bad player playing a bad character, and he's always held a special place in my heart.

Then, when I recently got into the competitive scene, I picked up Roy as a secondary, mainly because of my respects towards him in Melee. It took a lot of practice as I'm not used to decently-fast characters as a GDorf main, but my determination overcame that. I loved the character, and jokingly said that he will be a character in the new Smash.

Around June, during the time of the big leaks (Leaks for Chrom, Shulk, etc.), I was really adamant about Captain Falcon and Ganondorf being in the game. Not a lot of people actually believed me, but sucks for them. 2 Days before the Lucina and Robin trailer, I said that Captain Falcon and Chrom would be revealed in that video. To be honest, I kinda was right in a way.

Upon first glance of Lucina, I didn't really care. It was a Marth clone, so what? Besides, I had never played a Fire Emblem game in my life, who is she, anyway?

I started to care when my brother told me that the sword's hitbox was evenly distributed in power: no tippers required.

I started freaking out. Could this be the new Roy that I was hoping for? I did a quick google check, and sure enough, no tipper. The thoughts going through my mind were "This will force her to play aggressive. She could be the Roy that we needed!"

The selling point, however, was her alternate colors.

When I first saw the Cordellia alt, I was like "HOLY SNAP MITSURU-SENPAI IS THAT YOU?" Really big Persona and Love Live fan here; play/watch them. they're great.

Boom, bought Fire Emblem, Lucina was picked up as a main but dropped to secondary, overthrown by Meta Knight.

tl:dr: Cordelia alt color looks like Mitsuru from Persona 3, I had ROY as a secondary in P:M

PrincessLucina

Smash Rookie
Playing Awakening, she was honestly my most-wanted character. (I was her mother in my run, love her a lot tbh)
I was SO excited when she was announced. I had gotten a Skype message from a friend who knew I loved Fire Emblem telling me to watch the announcement video. My hype went through the roof.
3DS version came out, became my main.
With the WiiU version I started picking up other characters (Villager, Jigglypuff), but Lucina is still my fave.
Honestly, she could be bottom tier and I'd still main her.

She's Marth who's actually a girl and not joked about being one. For some reason, I almost always main girls in fighting games

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato
Most of you have already took the words right out of my mind, but I felt the necessity to chime in. She's been my favorite character ever since I played FE:A.

When Smash 4 was announced, every new character reveal would make me go "Lucina and Chrom 4 Smash plis".
While Chrom was half-confirmed, Lucina making it in as a plyable character even as a clone made me cry tears of joy.

micstar615

Smash Ace
I like Lucina because she's actually a very strong female character and her story is very, very inspiring to me. She's far more than some waifu imo, she's a pretty rare female character that is capable, strong and non sexualized! (A female character like that is surprisingly still somewhat rare). Her story really inspired me because she witnessed her parents die, and grew up in an apocalyptic world but never gave up hope. Despite her ****ty childhood she still did what she could to change things. She led the group of orphans back to the past, and disguised herself as a man to protect her dad. She's also just as skilled with the blade as the Hero King was. How awesome is that? She's become one of my all time favourite characters.

eshu125

Smash Apprentice
I love lucina because she plays exactly like Marth but she can reliably kill.

I have yet to play an FE game, but I hear she's pretty cool.

Duet

Smash Cadet
NNID
requiemlacrimosa
I like her because she is a less pretty version of Marth, but it is what is on the inside that counts right?

Last edited:

Akumetsu

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't say love, but...

I like her + Marth because she helps me getting the spacing game down.
Nice playstyle.
Looks better than Marth.
I suck with Tippers + online lag makes that even worser.

I like the look of all FE Chars so far.
Haven't really gotten into the games though.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I forgot that I never posted here.

You know why I love Lucina?

She stared down the harbinger of the apocalypse itself and lived. And then she went back in time to kill the thing before it could even do just that.

Lucina is a princess with a sword and she is not afraid to use it. I respect her.

Grass

Smash Lord
Warning Received
Lucina is a princess with a sword and she is not afraid to use it. I respect her.
LOL

Women with swords is always amusing. Also she has a virginia. If you know what I mean.

But mostly just cause she plays like marth lol.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Proper serious answer for you guys, quoted from the post I made in another thread:

So I have two mains in Smash 4: Pit and Palutena. That much was decided since I started speculation. I promised that I would play the two of them if they were playable. Their position at the top of my mains list is sacrosanct and inviolate.

When Lucina was first announced, I was ecstatic. Not really because of Lucina herself, but because I'm a huge Fire Emblem fan and a new character in Smash had just been announced - two, even, along with one of my all-time favourite Smash veterans! The hype was real. Too real, even. I was a bit disappointed that Chrom wasn't playable and that Lucina was just a clone, but it was very, very quickly thereafter that I realised it was what I had always dreamed of: a cool, classy female character in Smash that I could relate to and have fun playing.

Gushing sentiments time: I am androgynous. That means I consider myself to have attributes of both genders as opposed to either / or. Lucina, while not quite genderqueer herself, feels like a character I can empathise with: trying to be a hero, striving to be somebody you're not, and wearing the mask to prove you're the hero and to keep people from seeing your true colours. When Lucina gets her mask knocked off and she reveals her true self to the world, she passes it off as just a minor inconvenience. She has a job to do and woe betide anybody that stands in her way because she will cut you down and she will step over your cold, lifeless body to save the world and the people she loves. But then we see Lucina's true nature, when she's finally able to have a heart-to-heart with her daddy, and we see her as she really is: a scared, confused teenager that's dying inside because of her parents' untimely losses and who just wants be be loved and accepted. Lucina is able to shoulder the burden of the world and fight for what she believes in, and she's able to dress like a boy without anybody giving a damn. She steps over the boundaries between gender and morality and emerges all the stronger for it. Lucina is a character that I want to be like.

Lucina is a stronger person than anybody can ever see her to be and she is a true hero. That's why, even though she isn't my main in Smash 4, she is a character I will always play and will never, ever abandon for any reason.

micstar615

Smash Ace
Proper serious answer for you guys, quoted from the post I made in another thread:

So I have two mains in Smash 4: Pit and Palutena. That much was decided since I started speculation. I promised that I would play the two of them if they were playable. Their position at the top of my mains list is sacrosanct and inviolate.

When Lucina was first announced, I was ecstatic. Not really because of Lucina herself, but because I'm a huge Fire Emblem fan and a new character in Smash had just been announced - two, even, along with one of my all-time favourite Smash veterans! The hype was real. Too real, even. I was a bit disappointed that Chrom wasn't playable and that Lucina was just a clone, but it was very, very quickly thereafter that I realised it was what I had always dreamed of: a cool, classy female character in Smash that I could relate to and have fun playing.

Gushing sentiments time: I am androgynous. That means I consider myself to have attributes of both genders as opposed to either / or. Lucina, while not quite genderqueer herself, feels like a character I can empathise with: trying to be a hero, striving to be somebody you're not, and wearing the mask to prove you're the hero and to keep people from seeing your true colours. When Lucina gets her mask knocked off and she reveals her true self to the world, she passes it off as just a minor inconvenience. She has a job to do and woe betide anybody that stands in her way because she will cut you down and she will step over your cold, lifeless body to save the world and the people she loves. But then we see Lucina's true nature, when she's finally able to have a heart-to-heart with her daddy, and we see her as she really is: a scared, confused teenager that's dying inside because of her parents' untimely losses and who just wants be be loved and accepted. Lucina is able to shoulder the burden of the world and fight for what she believes in, and she's able to dress like a boy without anybody giving a damn. She steps over the boundaries between gender and morality and emerges all the stronger for it. Lucina is a character that I want to be like.

Lucina is a stronger person than anybody can ever see her to be and she is a true hero. That's why, even though she isn't my main in Smash 4, she is a character I will always play and will never, ever abandon for any reason.
I love this post :)

I love her for similar reasons (as outlined by my post above), she's a complex, strong character that's super inspirational to me and she's a female character that has broad appeal and isn't sexualized which is still rare in video games!

SSJHero

Smash Rookie
NNID
Heroine
In addition to everything said in the original post...
I've always had a soft spot for clones. I was a Roy main in Melee, Toon Link in Brawl, and Lucina in Sm4sh.

Though, as I played Awakening, I was hoping for Lucina to get in over Chrom. Chrom just had an over all... Bland feel to him. He wasn't bad, but didn't really stand out to me. I was also a big fan of Marth's playstyle, but hated the tipper mechanic. So I was just fine with her being a clone.

Top Bottom