• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Changes you'd like to see in Mewtwo

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Nah, not Zelda slow. Know how Mewtwo has that spin sorta animation when he teleports onto the ground from the ground or air and it causes him to have some recovery to his teleport? I think he should have that lag in his air to air telepot. Know what I mean? I think that would be pretty fair.
Guess we should make MK's Dimensional Cape suck too?

Bias aside, I think thats kinda unfair to Mewtwo mains. We get something nice (and acting out of TP is not the thing that breaks Mewtwo, so many characters can act out of their Up B), then its taken away and we're essentially left with Melee Mewtwo+a functional Confusion.

Zero May Cry

Smash Cadet
What? I didn't say that M2 shouldn't be able to act out of teleport. I say he should be able to act out of it, but it should just take a little longer to act out of it. Like he should do a little spin animation when he teleports into the air and then be able to act out of it. Comparable to the lag he has when he hits the ground with teleport, like I said earlier.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
What? I didn't say that M2 shouldn't be able to act out of teleport. I say he should be able to act out of it, but it should just take a little longer to act out of it. Like he should do a little spin animation when he teleports into the air and then be able to act out of it. Comparable to the lag he has when he hits the ground with teleport, like I said earlier.
But why is what I'm asking. Lucario can act out of it with a charge, MK doesn't need to worry bout nothin' when it comes to his woop. ZSS has Falco-esque pillar combos when it comes to acting out of her Up B. Why does Mewtwo's need to be laggy?

Zero May Cry

Smash Cadet
Isn't MK's D-cape slower than Mewtwo's teleport? Lucario is okay since he has to work for that "act out of" speed, and ZSS' up-b isn't a teleport?

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Isn't MK's D-cape slower than Mewtwo's teleport? Lucario is okay since he has to work for that "act out of" speed, and ZSS' up-b isn't a teleport?
But ZSS's Up B is a recovery move that doesn't put her in helpess and gives her huge Falco pillar combos. Even in Brawl, it did this. MK's Down B you can just act out of as soon as he reappears.

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
Where were you guys two months ago lol. I dont have a problem with his teleport. But then again thats because my character has options to deal with it. My biggest issues were his recovery, which can be dealt with by adjusting his weight, and his tail. If his tail is gonna be as long as it is then the speed of his attacks should be reduced. When out of range you cant shield grab, nor can you attack him. His d-tilt is so fast you cant even roll away. If you crouch cancel you will lose because of his weight. Then the attack doesnt have high knockback so its a guaranteed combo after you are in the air. I believe he has broken elements but he is not indeed broken. Theres many different things you can change to make the MU fair.

ComposedJam

Smash Cadet
People are very silly. Teleport hover nair is in no way completely safe. For starters there is a very VERY distinct sound when mewtwo teleports. (i think it is something like woop? XD). You can bait out teleports and hit mewtwo BEFORE HE CAN ATTACK. bait the teleport hover nair then hit mewtwo off the stage and grab the ledge since he has no double jump, congratulations! you just got a stock! People need to stop complaining about this character and actually abuse his weaknesses. If a mewtwo is hitting you with hover nair over and over again you have only yourself to blame, it has almost no range!
Get better at predicting the teleport and mewtwo will be very careful about using it in the future.

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
People are very silly. Teleport hover nair is in no way completely safe. For starters there is a very VERY distinct sound when mewtwo teleports. (i think it is something like woop? XD). You can bait out teleports and hit mewtwo BEFORE HE CAN ATTACK. bait the teleport hover nair then hit mewtwo off the stage and grab the ledge since he has no double jump, congratulations! you just got a stock! People need to stop complaining about this character and actually abuse his weaknesses. If a mewtwo is hitting you with hover nair over and over again you have only yourself to blame, it has almost no range!
Get better at predicting the teleport and mewtwo will be very careful about using it in the future.
I tried explaining this to Inui and he called me an addict lol. And the funny thing is he uses ROY, one of Mewtwo's hardests MUs XDDD. Please show to Inui xD

ComposedJam

Smash Cadet
I tried explaining this to Inui and he called me an addict lol. And the funny thing is he uses ROY, one of Mewtwo's hardests MUs XDDD. Please show to Inui xD
Yeah, Roy is pretty hard for mewtwo. People are just quick to jump on the hating mewtwo being a good character bandwagon, I think.
Unfortunately I don't know who Inui is.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Yeah, Roy is pretty hard for mewtwo. People are just quick to jump on the hating mewtwo being a good character bandwagon, I think.
Unfortunately I don't know who Inui is.
Was a top MK player back in the early Brawl days. Migrated to PM, predicted Emukiller's win at SKTAR 3. You can find him on Facebook. Idk his SWF account.

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
Ummmmmmmm. The hell are you talking about? Nair has no range? Wasnt there an arguement before about how big M2 is thats why he can grab from behind? Does nair not cover his entire body? And if in fact it does not have range then your hover gives it more range allowing you to move as the attack continues.... Also it beats most attacks because of that continuous hitbox causing other attacks to cancel on hit while it keeps going. Yes its possible to hit him out of it but it doesnt always happen in the opponents favor. I admit that its not completely safe but it is indeed a low risk high reward attack. And your explanation of taking a stock off of mewtwo.. not so simple. Did you forget that mewtwo has a weird weight. Most attacks send him diagonally upwards. Letting him float back most of the way to the stage and then teleport back on. Being able to take a stock that way is dependent on multiple factors. The attack used. M2's percentage. Where they are on the stage. And then maybe.. just maybe you will take that stock. Dont make it sound so simple and easy. I can probably count on two hands how many times I have killed M2 from ledge hogging, little exaggeration, but it seldom happens that way. Anytime I kill him its by knocking him into the blast zone

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Ummmmmmmm. The hell are you talking about? Nair has no range? Wasnt there an arguement before about how big M2 is thats why he can grab from behind? Does nair not cover his entire body? And if in fact it does not have range then your hover gives it more range allowing you to move as the attack continues.... Also it beats most attacks because of that continuous hitbox causing other attacks to cancel on hit while it keeps going. Yes its possible to hit him out of it but it doesnt always happen in the opponents favor. I admit that its not completely safe but it is indeed a low risk high reward attack. And your explanation of taking a stock off of mewtwo.. not so simple. Did you forget that mewtwo has a weird weight. Most attacks send him diagonally upwards. Letting him float back most of the way to the stage and then teleport back on. Being able to take a stock that way is dependent on multiple factors. The attack used. M2's percentage. Where they are on the stage. And then maybe.. just maybe you will take that stock. Dont make it sound so simple and easy. I can probably count on two hands how many times I have killed M2 from ledge hogging, little exaggeration, but it seldom happens that way. Anytime I kill him its by knocking him into the blast zone
Yo. Luigi is also hard to combo. Same goes for Samus. Whats the problem with Mewtwo´s weight? Especially since Luigi´s and Samus´nairs are both faster than Clawmbobreaker.

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
Yo. Luigi is also hard to combo. Same goes for Samus. Whats the problem with Mewtwo´s weight? Especially since Luigi´s and Samus´nairs are both faster than Clawmbobreaker.

Yes luigi is hard to combo, yes samus(my main) is hard to combo, but that is due to their weight. And a quick reaction. Mewtwo has weight, a reaction, maneuverability. Ohh wait. And a teleport. Luigi indeed has great quick aerials but floats in the air and cant move as much, and samus is no bueno in the air. One of her weaknesses. And yes I have bomb jump and tether. And the almightY ZAIRRR!!! But im not here to argue about who is broken. I just had some issues with the things you stated before. Which I addressed in my previous comment

Edit: Not you. I meant composedjam

Last edited:

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Yes luigi is hard to combo, yes samus(my main) is hard to combo, but that is due to their weight. And a quick reaction. Mewtwo has weight, a reaction, maneuverability. Ohh wait. And a teleport. Luigi indeed has great quick aerials but floats in the air and cant move as much, and samus is no bueno in the air. One of her weaknesses. And yes I have bomb jump and tether. And the almightY ZAIRRR!!! But im not here to argue about who is broken. I just had some issues with the things you stated before. Which I addressed in my previous comment

Edit: Not you. I meant composedjam
I can see why you disagree, but the thing is that Teleport is not broken, NAIR is. I mean like dang its a mini Mach Tornado! nerf nair and Mewtwo will have no good shield pressure, while being fairly susceptible to it (TP OoS is frame 8, kinda slow for OoS, and his grab has short range IN FRONT of him).

Last edited:

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
I never said it was broken. More like annoying. But like I said I just had a disagreement. I have stated almost all of my feelings about mewtwo on the previous pages. I wont repeat myself again

blu2grut

Smash Cadet
A few counter points:

Teleport gives you an audio queue and has plenty of start up to react to. Put a hitbox out and you'll be fine.

Nair is not his whole body here are the hitboxes.

Nair comes out on frame 5 and does a 2frame on 2frame off hitbox until it's done.

His recovery is amazing but, killing mewtwo by blastzone is not all that hard. He is giant and dies up at low%.

If I were to adjust anything, I would bring the hurtboxes of the tail a little closer to the tip to allow more trades and I would fix his ledge stall.
To fix the ledge stall, I would use the property of smash 4's ledge mechanics "-Air time and accumulated damage will determine your period of invincibility while hanging on an edge". It may be a good mechanic to add to the game in general who knows.

Mewtwo main so take from it what you will.

Last edited:

blu2grut

Smash Cadet
Sorry, the BLUE circles are the hitbox and the YELLOW is the hurtbox.

The lines insides the circles represent the trajectory.

Last edited:

blu2grut

Smash Cadet
Here is JUST the hitboxes to help clear up your confusion(forward b).

The blue circles are where his nair hurts people when it touches them. The lines inside show what direction the person hit gets sent if they touch that circle.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
Mewtwo destroys Roy if he has a clue what he's doing. Everything Roy does is unsafe on shield, there's no reason for m2 to ever let Roy hit him.
When you're shielding, a good Roy will not be trying to shieldbreak combo you lol. Do you see Sethlon ever attack shields? Lolno. He grabs. Or uses DDs/Wavedashes back and forth to pressure. Besides, Mewtwo's main KO mkves are all close range, and are statistically weaker than Roy's as well. Mewtwo has to play a spacing game, and Roy can do that decent as well. Thats what makes the MU difficult. Mewtwo's saving graces are the bair amd Roy's inability to land KO moves at higher percentages after Mewtwo leaves the combo into a KO move percent.

Subtle One

Smash Journeyman
M2 a giant hurtbox with nifty mobility options, everyone just wants him to suck again instead of learning a new MU imo

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
When you're shielding, a good Roy will not be trying to shieldbreak combo you lol. Do you see Sethlon ever attack shields? Lolno. He grabs.
Right, because M2 has to ever let Roy get close enough to grab. =|

Or uses DDs/Wavedashes back and forth to pressure.
Do you know what a shadow ball is?

Besides, Mewtwo's main KO mkves are all close range
Proof only that you have no idea how to play M2. Not only do fsmash and dsmash have enormous, disjointed hitboxes, but teleclaw has more range than Wolf's blaster, and is near instant.

and are statistically weaker than Roy's as well.
Well, Jesus - it's not like everyone's KO moves are weaker than Roy's.

Mewtwo has to play a spacing game, and Roy can do that decent as well.
Sort of, but m2's close range options beat Roy's (confusion, disable, HC Claw, utilt) and Roy doesn't have long range options - so he ALWAYS has to approach. Yeah, there's a very tiny spacing window where Roy has an advantage, but Mewtwo is so mobile as to render it moot.

Thats what makes the MU difficult.
If you play Mewtwo and think any matchup is difficult, you've got some problems.

M2 a giant hurtbox with nifty mobility options, everyone just wants him to suck again instead of learning a new MU imo
I've learned the MU with about 7 different characters. I've always historically been a better player than my roommate, and continue to be his coach - yet I cannot consistently beat him with anyone now. I can barely even take 2/10 games. When I do, it's because of obvious blunders on his part.

I'm not a great player, but I'd like to emphasize that we both agree he's much worse: which is reflected when he plays Melee or Toon Link (which he's practiced a lot too) against me and gets demolished. Whether or not mewtwo is 'broken', I think it's beyond question that he's easily one of the strongest in the game.

Mewtwo isn't just a giant hurtbox - he's also a giant hitbox for whom every move is perfectly safe and every edgeguard is perfectly free, like if Marth had Fox's Shine.

He doesn't need gigantic nerfs, but either mobility options or the lag behind his moves need to be changed so that he can actually be punished for his mistakes. Making him a bit lighter so you can actually kill him with a hard read would be cool too.

ComposedJam

Smash Cadet
His nair has no range in the sense that he doesn't really extend outwards from his body at all. Nearly every time I do an empty nair near my opponent, they hit me out of it. If you use any attack with range against it you will win. Yes, hover can in fact move the hit box, but if you simply dash backwards or wavedash away (both should be faster than hover) you would then be able to hit mewtwo. This happens to me a lot when my opponent predicts my tele-hover-nair or my hover nair. In this situation mewtwo LOSES his double jump (due to hovering) and you could in theory edge guard him much easier. I may have over exaggerated how easily you can do it, but in all honesty it isn't that hard if your attack knocks mewtwo off the stage, just grab ledge. Most attacks in general send you diagonally upwards, i don't know why you said that. Of course everything depends on many factors, that is with everything in smash. You should get better at predicting mewtwo's teleport and hover because you can punish those very well.

you can keep complaining about how good mewtwo is all you want (directed at everyone complaining), or you can actually try and learn the matchup and get better at playing against him. When I play people that complain about the tail or mewtwo I'll usually win.
Conversely, the people I play against that realize that mewtwo isn't too good and has weaknesses beat me every time in tournament, actually.

ComposedJam

Smash Cadet
Mewtwo destroys Roy if he has a clue what he's doing. Everything Roy does is unsafe on shield, there's no reason for m2 to ever let Roy hit him.
The match up is more difficult for mewtwo than most. Roy can combo him HARD and kill him early. Roy also has a disjointed hit box and good range, two things that are good against mewtwo.
mewtwo wins on the offstage game, sure. But he hardly wins the match up outright. Mewtwo may even have the advantage, but Roy has all the tools he needs to beat mewtwo.

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
The match up is more difficult for mewtwo than most. Roy can combo him HARD and kill him early. Roy also has a disjointed hit box and good range, two things that are good against mewtwo.
mewtwo wins on the offstage game, sure. But he hardly wins the match up outright. Mewtwo may even have the advantage, but Roy has all the tools he needs to beat mewtwo.
Entirely correct. Roy's got a much easier time of it than most characters for the reasons you mentioned.

I'd call that MU somewhere between 60-40 and 65-35 for m2. Could be wrong though

WizKid911

Smash Journeyman
My friend doesnt teleport hover nair. Ive told him about it but he never does it. But regardless he teleports into my shield or body and nairs. The only way for me to hit him out of his nair is directly from the side. Directly above and directly below. On shield the nair lasts longer, and it hits after M2 touches the ground. Meaning if I react too slow hes inside my body. Easy grab for him. And if I react too fast I get shocked. Im glad to finally see hitboxes of the attack. It helps a lot

Scoob

Smash Apprentice
This has probably been mentioned here already, but I agree with Zero's nerf to Mewtwo. Just add 1 frame of lag after teleport, and do the same for shadow claw. That's all. I don't want anyone to get nerfed at all, ideally. If it keeps happening, we'll get more Lucarios, and people won't play certain characters out of fear that they'll get nerfed down the line.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
This has probably been mentioned here already, but I agree with Zero's nerf to Mewtwo. Just add 1 frame of lag after teleport, and do the same for shadow claw. That's all. I don't want anyone to get nerfed at all, ideally. If it keeps happening, we'll get more Lucarios, and people won't play certain characters out of fear that they'll get nerfed down the line.
Teleport isn´t the problem lmfao. Its NAIR. Which is worse? Teleport, or Brawl Mach Tornado? In this case, nair is Mach Tornado. NERF NAIR.

Scoob

Smash Apprentice
Teleport isn´t the problem lmfao. Its NAIR. Which is worse? Teleport, or Brawl Mach Tornado? In this case, nair is Mach Tornado. NERF NAIR.
I'm pretty sure people have an issue with teleport to float cancelled nair and it's invincibility frames and near un-punishability. But yes, nair is hard to deal with. People need to learn to deal with it.

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
changes that i'd like to see are nerfs. im a mewtwo main and sometimes my wins feel fraudulent. i'd just like a slightly shorter tail, a regular powershield (not having double the time frame for powershielding that normal shields have), nerf float so that it doesnt extend as you use aerials as much. i dont feel bad about winning when i teleport in and nair because it shouldnt be working in the first place. but maybe a bit of endlag on that move wouldnt hurt.

and about letting the meta develop, the game is still a work in progress so if something is stupid we might as well get rid of it before it develops too much. not to say mewtwo is stupid. he just needs a couple nerfs imo. nothing huge

EDIT: also maybe a very slight weight nerf. he needs to be a little lighter since he already recovers from just about everything. i used to be against the nerf until Frozen brought this to mind

Last edited:
Top Bottom