• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chain Grab Question

comics

Smash Cadet
1. Which type of grab should I use? (JC, dash, etc)

2. How do I do it?

3. What percents can I do it?

COB

Smash Apprentice
You can upthrow regrab fast fallers at mid percents. Downthrow regrab will work against bad DI on certain characters/percents.

comics

Smash Cadet
You can upthrow regrab fast fallers at mid percents. Downthrow regrab will work against bad DI on certain characters/percents.
But should I JC my grabs when chain grabbing or not?

Last edited:

Quetzalcoatl

Smash Ace
Use dash grab, it has more range, the only down side is it has 10 frames more end lag which won't matter if you are chain grabbing perfectly.

Follow these steps to chain grab:

1. Grab
2. Pummel
3. Up throw
4. Watch enemy movement
5. At this point there are basically 4 options to cover, No DI, Soft DI behind you, Hard right DI, Hard left DI

No DI - Don't move, regrab
Soft DI behind - Turn around on the spot, regrab
Hard DI Left/Right - Immediately dash grab in the direction they DI

Repeat steps 1-5 until they start to get close to the 90%+ mark.

6. Finish with Nair if you see bad DI and they remain close. Otherwise Fthrow is the safe option.

I don't know the percents off the top of my head but I tend to keep it around 40%-90% as the opportunity for error increases outside this range.

Last edited:

comics

Smash Cadet
Use dash grab, it has more range, the only down side is it has 10 frames more end lag which won't matter if you are chain grabbing perfectly.

1. Grab
2. Pummel
3. Up throw
4. Watch enemy movement
5. At this point there are basically 4 options to cover, No DI, Soft DI behind you, Hard right DI, Hard left DI

6. Finish with Nair if you see bad DI and they remain close. Otherwise Fthrow is the safe option.

I don't know the percents off the top of my head but I tend to keep it around 40%-90% as the opportunity for error increases outside this range.
Thank you so much! You are the best.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Also if possible, you probably want to have higher port# to make the cg slightly easier and work longer.

Vestboy_Myst

NJ TO & Peach knitwit

1. Grab
2. Pummel
3. Up throw
4. Watch enemy movement

quetz, what is the safest way to follow their DI with a killing move at ending %s? Is it a angled fh nair, dash>groundfloat>nair, or angled fh fair? is the reason you opt for fthrow because there is no finisher that is consistent?

Also if possible, you probably want to have higher port# to make the cg slightly easier and work longer.
was that ever confirmed to work for peach-on-fox?

Last edited:

tauKhan

Smash Lord
@ Vestboy_Myst Vestboy_Myst I don't myself have any confirmation on that, that's why I added 'probably'. But I haven't heard of a throw that didn't have the effect, so I find it pretty unlikely not to be case with peach throws. Though the list of throws that I have confirmed information is still small: fox uthrow, sheik dthrow, marth uthrow, cf throws, doc throws, G&W dthrow. But every case tested has been positive so far.

On the other hand though, this game DOES have some weird exception. For example almost every roll in the game is intangible starting from frame 4, with jigglypuff's forward roll being the sole exception with intangibility starting frame 2. So I guess I can't be sure until it's been tested in debug mode.

Last edited:

Quetzalcoatl

Smash Ace
If the opponent is approaching 90% near the middle of the stage then track their DI and nair them, I can't recall if it would be a full jump or short hop but you wouldn't float.
I have seen Armada use dash attack to track their DI, it connects at the edge of the hitbox above her finger tips and causes the opponent to be hit up very slightly above you for a really easy follow up, I don't know for certain if this can be avoided. Unfortunately we almost never see Armada versing fast fallers on FD in tournament to know if this was simply a trick he used in the past that he now deems sub-optimal or not.I believe finishing with fthrow is definitely the go to option if the opponent DIs to the edge of the stage.

Calzum!

LC | Team Heir
It works around 40% on spacies to 100%,
Falcon from 35% to about 80 to 90%

after 100% with a spacie if they dont di it and you go for a regrab they will be mashing Shine to shine you out of it, go for a nair

Last edited:

GoodMorningWood

Smash Rookie

1. Grab
2. Pummel
3. Up throw
4. Watch enemy movement

Holy crap this is great. I used to take falcon to FD to practice and now this helps so much more. Thanks!

Sycorax

Smash Ace
I was playing around with the chaingrab today and experimenting with some stuff. I don't have my second controller with me so I can't test DI's and stuff, but here's some stuff I'm cogitating. What do you think?

On neutral DI at about 90% (when the chaingrab starts to end), you can utilt into nair (or Fair which has less knockback at this percent) on Fox (and presumably Falco). I think this might be a useful mixup if they are trying to neutral DI to jump out early.

On DI away or behind until about 80% you can get a dash attack, and if they fail to DI that down and away, you get a nair or fair. (If they are close to the edge, they probably won't DI down and away and if they do, you can edgeguard them.)

Chaingrab into nair is probably still optimal, idk :/

MattCon5

Smash Rookie
have seen Armada use dash attack to track their DI, it connects at the edge of the hitbox above her finger tips and causes the opponent to be hit up very slightly above you for a really easy follow up
If you connect with dash attack in this way, it's a very free u-air or possibly n-air depending on the situation.

Top Bottom