• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Censorship

What do you think of the censorships?

• They're alright

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Dont like them (miss Tharja's trophy)

Votes: 39 44.3%
  • 50/50

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • Dont care as long as I can Smash

Votes: 46 52.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
I honestly couldn't care less. As long as censorship doesn't ruin something for me gameplay wise, I have no problem if they remove a trophy or two because it was highly suggestive or lewd. Besides, I play Smash Bros. to Smash, not to look at suggestive trophies creepily so I can stare at they're panties, breasts or butts. I'm a gentleman, not some pervert. :p
You're only a pervert if you act on those urges with women in real life in my opinion.

Also, do you guys remember the panty shot issue with brawl snapshots? Sakurai specifically mentioned he was getting submissions of upskirt shots shortly after the smash service started to accept them.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
You're only a pervert if you act on those urges with women in real life in my opinion.

Also, do you guys remember the panty shot issue with brawl snapshots? Sakurai specifically mentioned he was getting submissions of upskirt shots shortly after the smash service started to accept them.
Hmmmm, fair enough but to each they're own on that matter.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
You have no idea what are you talking about.
Actually, I do.

Look at any Wii U footage of Peach or Rosalina, and you'll see that their clothes (and hair) are elaborately and dynamically animated with actual physics. On 3DS, they are are statically animated in a few specific instances, otherwise they aren't.

Animating a dress to properly react to a woman's legs and other influences on 3DS would be far too difficult and their legs would likely clip through the thing more often than not. Hence, they only half model Peach's legs to prevent those clipping issues.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Actually, I do.

Look at any Wii U footage of Peach or Rosalina, and you'll see that their clothes (and hair) are elaborately and dynamically animated with actual physics. On 3DS, they are are statically animated in a few specific instances, otherwise they aren't.

Animating a dress to properly react to a woman's legs and other influences on 3DS would be far too difficult and their legs would likely clip through the thing more often than not. Hence, they only half model Peach's legs to prevent those clipping issues.
But Zelda does have her legs in the 3DS version. Despite seeing sometimes Zelda's boot clipping through the dress, I don't think the censorship is because of this issue.

Augi Jr.

Smash Cadet
With Rosalina, they just wanted to add a ridiculous aspect to her character. It also explains the effects from her kicks.
Thinking about it in this aspect.... she's throwing out galaxies from under her dress when she's kicking and doing her aerials.... There's a really raunchy joke in there somewhere....

As for the Censorship in other areas, if theres no censorship in the Wii U version, it's forgivable. Rosalina is fine the way it is, but Peach is the biggest mystery of all since her bloomers have been on display since Melee and no ones had a problem with it, so they better fix that in the Wii U version.

ZombieBran

Smash Lord
Censorship of this nature is beyond ridiculous and some people in this thread are equally ridiculous.

This isn't the 50s.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
The sudden censorship of Zelda and Peach is odd. But for Lyn and Palutena, it's kinda hard to show a black void when you can see that far up already without having to turn the camera.

Mostly just sad Sariya's trophy got cut for it. Always sad to see Fire Emblem things removed. But at least we got others.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
The sudden censorship of Zelda and Peach is odd. But for Lyn and Palutena, it's kinda hard to show a black void when you can see that far up already without having to turn the camera.

Mostly just sad Sariya's trophy got cut for it. Always sad to see Fire Emblem things removed. But at least we got others.
Zelda does not have censorship, even on her trophies.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Tharja's trophy will be available for 9.99 $ if you're older than 18 in a couple of months

And people will buy it

Raijinken

Smash Master
Zelda does not have censorship, even on her trophies.
Thanks for the catch. As another catch, Palutena DOES have the dark fog, not panties. Tiki's also seems to fade instead of just giving her panties. Female Trainer XY also has a very quick fade.

It's a bit inconsistent. Daisy and Peach don't have the fade on their tennis outfits.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
If we're talking about trophies having voids, it's not a good reference. Peach's trophy in Brawl had a void, but her in-game model didn't.

They censor trophy upskirts because they are so easy to get. At least with player models, showing the full legs is justified since you might need it for actual attacks involving the legs, and it makes cloth physics easier to animate too.

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
At least they didn't censor Palutena's side taunt :troll:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Thanks for the catch. As another catch, Palutena DOES have the dark fog, not panties. Tiki's also seems to fade instead of just giving her panties. Female Trainer XY also has a very quick fade.

It's a bit inconsistent. Daisy and Peach don't have the fade on their tennis outfits.
Use Mario's back throw on Palutena and pause at the right time.
Tharja's trophy will be available for 9.99 $ if you're older than 18 in a couple of months

And people will buy it
A WWE Network reference?

Moderator Edit: Fixed the quote tag.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chakra-X

Smash Cadet
Maybe because they didn't like the idea of gamers pausing the game to see what kind of underwear Mario characters are wearing?

This is hardly "censorship". Sexuality is shown on things that are viewed normally, such as Zero Suit's body or Palutena's playful staff spin. Modeling panties so when people look at the trophy or pause the game just so you are satisfied with looking up their skirt is completely different.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Its a game for kids.

And I never noticed it untill now
I always hated the "it's a game for kids" for some reasons. Sure, it's not like a game like Resident Evil. But most of the Nintendo Games are for everyone. Not just kids.

Smash is not an educational game for 1st graders, for example! :awesome:

Lichi

This is my war snarl
I cannot phrase how irrelevant the panties of some fictional character are to me. Lucky me.

But personally, I do not understand censorship of something everyone is completely aware of. Everyone knows that (most) people do in fact use underwear, and I do not consider it to be 'sexual' in itself. Same goes for 3D-modelled human-like beings.
It is the same bullsh** with censored blood in anime, middlefingers in TV shows or beeping out the middle of f**k. Everyone knows what's going on, the fact that it is covered up with some random pixelization, sound or whatever even highlights it being there, so why should one even pretend to hide it?
Furthermore, seing panties or whatever will not make any game or character model too sexy, it depends on how you present a character as a whole. And even if it did, if you wanted Peach to be 'not sexy', then do not give her naked legs and a spotted pantie underneath a skirt it you are blacking out to begin with, but proper underwear that was actually used by women of the era you are trying to imitate with that princess image.
The way this is handled is just ridiculous.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

Lol. I said you had no idea what you were talking about :p
Well, see, I did. We were discussing whether or not Peach's panties would be in the Wii U version, were we not?

Though it's not like I was thinking illogically, since again, her Amiibo has them.

Which is honestly really strange.

Because you can literally touch them.

At least in the game you would only get to look.

Lookin' is for free, but touchin' is gonna cost.

Sir_Waffle33

Smash Cadet
NNID
SirWaffle33
3DS FC
3437-3212-3786
Well, this is discouraging. I honestly thought they wouldn't censor peach in the Wii U. The whole thing is just inconsistent. I mean, it wasn't a problem then. Why is it now?

Still can't get over the they fact they gave Zelda pants. PANTS!? Seriously!?

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Well, this is discouraging. I honestly thought they wouldn't censor peach in the Wii U. The whole thing is just inconsistent. I mean, it wasn't a problem then. Why is it now?

Welcome in the universe of Twilight Princess, perhaps.

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208

To be fair, this time around the game is rated E-10+ instead of its previous T. If that was Sakurai's goal for the game so he felt that it could appeal to a wider audience, that could be the reason why they changed it.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
To be fair, this time around the game is rated E-10+ instead of its previous T. If that was Sakurai's goal for the game so he felt that it could appeal to a wider audience, that could be the reason why they changed it.
Pretty much this. Because of Smash 4's E10+ rating, undergarment censoring is to be expected.

Ik0zael

Smash Rookie
NNID
IkOzael
3DS FC
4829-0344-7841
Switch FC
0482-0486-3518
Censors are stupid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.