• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CCC: Cut, Consider, Confirm!

So, what's most important to you?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
One day, you wake up and, whoa, you're Masahiro Sakurai, of Sora Ltd! And you're still alive! You find yourself at his desk with documents strewn all about(because let's be honest, he totally sleeps at his workplace to ensure he keeps working), and the authority to make decisions based on these documents. What's that mean? That means you have the power(and responsibility) to make decisions for characters and decide the fate of those we'd hope are playable.

But then, Reggie Fils-Amie runs in and tells you that there's too much data for EVERYTHING to get put in because a robot is rampaging around Nintendo of America's HQ, so you've gotta make the call.

Who gets cut? Who gets considered? Who gets confirmed? It's up to YOU, Sakurai-san!

Rules of the game: You MUST make one cut, one consideration, and one confirmation. The cut must be of the current known roster. A consideration is a character that might have potential, but you don't quite see happening as playable(maybe AT/background/boss/etc). A confirmation is exactly that, you are putting this character in the new Smash for all to enjoy. You may consider or confirm characters previously disconfirmed in addition to any other character you like.

You may not make more than one of each decision, and please give an explanation as to why you made your decisions. If it's not high-content as far as quality and length, at least make it funny. This is not meant to be a debate thread, nor any kind of serious speculation. If you want to react to someone's pick, you may, but don't make it a back-and-forth, that's not what this thread is about. This is a silly game where we essentially play Smash God. There are no prizes, no gauges, and only your dignity can be lost(hint, it's already gone because Sakurai bodyswapped with you and now knows of your dakimakura pillows). THIS THREAD IS NOT AN EXCUSE TO BE A MORON SO DO NOT ACT LIKE ONE. FUNNY IS ONE THING, ABUSIVE IS ANOTHER. With that said, I'll start.

CUT: Toon Link

WHY: Toon Link has always come off as a bigger clone than most others, though it may just be the aftertaste of Young Link having been so close to OG Link in Melee. I could see the Zelda series losing the slot, truth be told, because they're not quite as big as Mario or Pokemon, and it would also make room for others from various other series. Maybe another blue-haired swordsman takes his place, maybe another sword user. Maybe just a floating sword(Aegislash). Sword sword sword. TL and his earlier variant YL always felt very replaceable and boring, so he'd be stricken from my desk.

CONSIDER: Mother Brain

WHY: Mother Brain's an interesting case. While she does show up as an AT, I could see her used much better as a legitimate stage boss given her various abilities. As a character, she'd be awkward due to her size, so I'd strongly consider her to be fightable boss material. With that said, the ability to AT her on any stage will certainly be a lot of fun.

CONFIRM: Krystal

WHY: Go ahead, hate me. Krystal's inclusion hits three nails on the head. A female character. A unique character. A hype-driving newcomer(you say she's a hype-killer but I know folk that would go totally bonkers with her inclusion). Plus, even if she got her Adventures outfit(which isn't that bad, you ninnies), it's not like there aren't worse cases of oversexualization(ZSS and her 'jet heels' anyone? Bodysuits and ankle joints do NOT work that way!). A unique movement set based on her staff gives her an edge as far as setting herself apart from the crowd as well. The blue fox gets my vote for confirmation.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
Cut: Wii Fit Trainer
Why: Nothing personal, she is the newcomer that I like the least
Consider: Antasma
Why: He looks cool, has an original personality, a lot of moveset potential, sadly he will be lucky if he manages to be a trophy
Confirm: Ghirahim
I don't listen to fan made rules like "X characters must have been in Y numbers of games to be considered", Ghirahim is one of the most wanted newcomers, has potential to have key roles in future games, has a lot of moveset potential, is liked and is fabulous

RIDLEY is too SMALL

Smash Journeyman
Cut: Toon Link Characters in Smash are often wrongly accused of being "clones" for misinformed aesthetic reasons, despite the fact that most "clone" characters have radically different play styles and metagames. However, I've always felt that Link and Toon Link are played only slightly differently and that a Link player and a Toon Link player are essentially trying to do the same things, just with different attributes. For that reason, I see Toon Link as the one true clone character from Brawl, and he is the only confirmed character that I would want to cut.

Consider: Victini I thought that Victini was the perfect candidate to represent Gen V. It's one of the primary Gen V Pokémon, and it stars in not one but two movies. Plus, it's a cute and cool psychic/fire type legendary and is the "Victory Pokémon". I was a bit sad to learn that it only appears from a Pokéball and not as a playable character.

Confirm: Ridley Metroid is the best. Super Metroid and Metroid Prime are masterpieces that are some of the most brilliant and critically-acclaimed games ever created. In Smash, the only playable Metroid characters are Samus and Samus again. Ridley is the most iconic and recurring Metroid character after Samus, appearing as a main villain in just about every Metroid game. Ridley is like the Darth Vader of the Metroid series. Ridley kicks ass. Bowser is bigger than Ridley in just about every single canon Mario game, especially the more recent ones. No one deserves a spot more than Ridley.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Cut: Charizard. The character itself is iconic but his move set is ass. I'm just bitter that Ivysaur is (most likely) gone. It's all or none in my mind.

Consider: Goose from Pilotwings. I'd have a hell of a time justifying his presence, as he's neither relevant, iconic or revolutionary which is why he'd not quite make it. But he'd likely be a finalist as it's a series not yet represented, and if Mii is playable I'd still argue that it doesn't represent the Pilotwings franchise.

Confirm: Paper Mario. Look, let's be real here. Everyone and their mom knows that if I had to pick just one character to put in the game, it'd be Ivysaur. But for the sake of this thread, I'll go with a newcomer, possibly the one with the highest amount of potential. He wouldn't be a clone, he'd have so many sweet partner, hammer and paper based attacks. It'd be a dream come true to see "Paper Mario cuts in!"

andimidna

Smash Master
Cut: Toon Link
They reduced the amount of awful last minute additions from the large number in Melee to 1 in Brawl. But I can't believe a remake was enough to bring him back. And they didn't tweak him at all
Consider: Midna
Deconfirmed, but she's my favorite videogame character, and would be the most unique character unless Bayonetta shows up.
Confirm: Palutena
We've all waited long enough for this obvious, amazing addition.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Cut: Lucas: Out of nowhere and not unique. Plus, I dislike his playstyle.
Consider: Phosphora: It's a character I'm interested in, but I think she fits better as an AT.
Confirm: K. Rool: It's been to fricken long now... should've been in Brawl.
Also, new thing, deconfirmations!
Deconfirm: Palutena: Worse character possible... even a talking raddish would be better.

TheZombiePig

Smash Apprentice
If nothing unique is done to his moveset to completely differentiate him from regular Link, then there's not much of a point to having him.

Consider: Skull Kid
There are tons or potential Zelda characters, and cutting Toon Link would make adding characters like Tetra and Vaati very difficult. Skull Kid on the other hand, would fit in just fine. He is quite a popular choice.

Confirm: Dillon or Wonder Red
Maybe a bit cheaty to go with one or the other, but both of these characters represent fresh IP's from Nintendo, both games having very unique gameplay elements. Either one would fit in very well.

Speculator

Smash Ace
Does the cut have to be of the currently confirmed SSB4 roster or can we cut characters from Brawl? I hope it's not the former because I think all the characters we've seen so far are justified in being there.

CUT: Wolf

WHY: I don't exactly want anyone cut from Brawl, but of all the characters on the roster Wolf by far brings the least to the table. While characters like Toon Link might appear to be a closer clone of their parent character, Wolf has the unfortunate position of being the only character to share his fundamentals with two other characters on the roster. With Wolf gone, Falco is free to stretch his wings (ba-dum-tish) and incorporate some of Wolf's more unique elements. This way we have two Star Fox characters that feel very different to one another, as opposed to three that feel like they're just taking up space.

CONSIDER: Balloon Fighter

WHY: I feel Balloon Fighter has more to offer than just a recovery for Villager. A truly air-focused character could bring an absurd amount of unique and interesting gameplay elements. He could be a sort of inverse Little Mac, with very strong aerial attacks and a poor ground offensive. He could have three different weights with two, one and no balloons inflated. They could even really flip over the table by allowing him to perform aerial smash attacks. Balloon Fight is a game with a lot to offer Smash Bros and I'm glad it's getting a stage, but I think it's a shame they decided they couldn't squeeze a character out of it.

CONFIRM: Sukapon

WHY: This was a tough one. As far as Japan-only retro reps go Takamaru is the more likely option by far, but if this is strictly a personal choice thing then I'd want to see Sukapon back in action. It breaks my heart that Joy Mech Fight is so forgotten - Balloon Fight, Ice Climber, Mach Rider and the rest all get their nods in games like Warioware (and indeed Smash Bros) but JMF gets next to nothing. Off the top of my head, Sukapon's Brawl sticker and the audio clip in Famicom Medley are the only two references I can think of. Sukapon is a perfect successor to the obscure newcomer slot and I think as an actual fighting game character he has a lot to offer SSB. His inclusion would give Joy Mech Fight the legacy it deserves.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Cut: Snake
Replace with another 3rd party character. Especially one that's company is helping with the production of the game.

Consider: Paper Mario
Very very very high amount of potential. The only thing holding him back is the fact that he's still Mario and we have Rosalina already. That said, Toon Link made it into Smash 4 so that shouldn't be a huge problem.

Confirm: King K. Rool
DK seriously needs another character. Add the main antagonist and call it a day. I mean, he's only one of the most wanted characters since Brawl. If he doesn't amke it this time, I'll have to question how the roster is decided.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Consider: Phosphora: It's a character I'm interested in, but I think she fits better as an AT.
Deconfirm: Palutena: Worse character possible... even a talking raddish would be better.
But Lucas is way better than Ness... :(

Floor

Floor | Defiant of Destiny
NNID
SerPete
3DS FC
1736-3913-7675
Rules of the game: You MUST make one cut, one consideration, and one confirmation. The cut must be of the current known roster.
Rockaphin, Speculator, and KingShadow can't read

Cut--Wii Fit Trainer
She doen't fit in. Every time I think of her, I think of how "non-serious" Smash is getting. I'm not saying you can't enjoy it, and it isn't meant to be fun/competitive/casual, but SSB4 is beginning to look like they are throwing characters and not adding onto a "legacy" the series set. The Halo series was built around a great Story with serious gameplay. Smash just looks like it's doing whatever to get sales. I'd like to think of a game, and see how structured it is around more than just gimmicks and sales. Putting in Wii Fit Trainer sounds Whimsical if you ask me.

Consider--Wolf
Wolf wasn't a clone of Fox/Falco/ He was different enough to deserve a spot, and the series shouldn't drop to 2 reps for Star Fox. He brings a different playing style to the table. While he shared similar moves with Falco and Fox, the fighting style was different. The reason I considered him, is because, unless they go to 4 reps(I find it unlikely), they are bound to want to put Krystal in. So, as Sakruai, I'd consider keeping the reps at 3 or 4, and if I chose three, whether their needs to be a more diverse moveset/ a fresh newcomer.

Confirm--Validar.
He'd bring so much the the table. Fire Emblem will likely get 3 reps this time around, but that makes it a tough call between Robin, Chrom, Lucina, Anna, etc... All would bring a different play style feeling than other swordsman. For an example, compare the Star Fox trio. Validar would also show off a move set build around magic, which is something Smash could do more of. Ness and Lucas were too 1 sided to be good magic users(Is it truly magic that they use?), in my opinion. They had risky recoveries, and were built around a chargee up (PK Flash, PK Freeze, Baseball Bat fully charged).

Last edited:

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
i dident know lucas was confirmed

D

Deleted member

CUT: Rosalina
WHY: It was too soon for her to be playable. It was only a matter of time I suppose... but not now. I'm still ticked off that she got in over Bowser Jr. and Toad, who are more important Mario characters. Honestly, I would have given her moveset to Palutena.

CONSIDER: Bomberman
WHY: He has so much potential and has a long history with Nintendo. He really is a Nintendo All-Star even though he is not even owned by Nintendo... so it's a major shame that he is owned by Konami now. His chances are nearly dead, if not on life-support. :(

CONFIRM: Shulk
WHY: He comes from a major new franchise to Nintendo. There has fan demand everywhere, he would be incredibly unique, he would represent Monolith Soft, and there are so many other reasons why I believe that he should be in Smash Bros. He is incredibly likely at this point, but he honestly deserves to be in Smash. He makes so much sense to put in that it would honestly confuse me if he wasn't playable.

Last edited by a moderator:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
cut charizard
we don't need 2 gen 1 pokemon

consider agumon
pokemon vs digimon

confirm vaati
i like vaati he would be unique

Last edited:

EbonyRubberWolf

Banned via Warnings
Friendly reminder: If you're making a cut, it must be from the CURRENTLY KNOWN ROSTER(for Smash 4). If they're not confirmed in, then you can't cut them. That's the point, to see how people handle the squeeze(and get an idea of what Sakurai must go through!).

Samuel Intrater

Smash Apprentice
Cut: Toon Link.
Why: Come on, a series like Zelda with so many memorable characters and we waste one slot on a smaller version of an already existing character? The only reason he's in the game is because he was in the last one, and to me, that proves he's not worthy.

Consider: Dimentio
Why: He's quite possibly my favorite video game character of all time, and hands down my favorite villain. He's just so memorable and has such a dark personality. Without something like Smash Bros., there's almost no chance he'll ever be in another game again. Plus, he's definitely got enough moves for it.

Confirm: K. Rool
Why: He's one of Nintendo's most significant villains, he's really popular, he has potential for a really unique moveset.

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
CUT: Rosalina
WHY: Insignificant Mario character is insignificant. There were many, more important Mario characters that should have been considered before her and her moveset could have been given to another character. It's been months and I'm still ticked over this reveal.

CONSIDER: Bomberman
WHY: He has so much potential and has a long history with Nintendo. He really is a Nintendo All-Star even though he is not even owned by Nintendo... so it's a major shame that he is owned by Konami now. His chances are nearly dead, if not on life-support. :(

CONFIRM: Shulk
WHY: He comes from a major new franchise to Nintendo. There has fan demand everywhere, he would be incredibly unique, he would represent Monolith Soft, and there are so many other reasons why I believe that he should be in Smash Bros. He is incredibly likely at this point, but he honestly deserves to be in Smash. He makes so much sense to put in that it would honestly confuse me if he wasn't playable.
Excuse me but to be fair, only bowser jr and toad are more important than Rosalina in the mario series and I don't know which character could have gotten her moveset

D

Deleted member

Excuse me but to be fair, only bowser jr and toad are more important than Rosalina in the mario series and I don't know which character could have gotten her moveset
Admittedly, I was overreacting, but I'm still ticked off with this reveal.
Honestly, I can see Palutena get her moveset.

Kind Dedede

Smash Ace
NNID
ClaptonsWig
All the same reasons as above, he's the cloniest clone of the clones. If he had altered his specials I may have let him slide, but no I'm not keeping him if he isn't going to stand out other than being a different look of link. Make him an Alternate costume and call it good.

Consider: Banjo Kazooie
This dynamic duo would be in this game already had Rare not been sold to Microsoft. They should go without say how much they are truly missed and how much they deserve to come out of hiding from microsofts dirty closet.

Confirm: Dog Hunt Dog
Mr Game & Watch and ROB. Two of the greatest Retro characters to ever grace the Nintendo franchise. ROB not only saved the dying video game market but Game & Watch gave a variety of games for all as well as include many future staples in his games. Who else would be on par with these mass giants that would indeed come from left field as well as play as an amazing character? That's right, the very dog that everybody that's ever played the NES console has wanted to beat. Now your dreams have come true my dear friends.

He is limitless with possibilities when it comes to fighting thanks to carrying both ducks and clay discs in his arsenal. He can bite, roll over, or fetch lone items and send them as homing missiles with his ducks just to name a few suggestions. Thought WFT was different, you'll have to bust out the abacus just to count how many ways this dog can bring down the house.

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger
Cut: Mario

I love an interesting roster; as a developer, I would want everyone to be surprised by my character selections. However, I do not like obscurity for the sake of obscurity. Rather than advocating for characters that no one connects with; promoting characters to give them the lime light, I would omit detrimental characters that offer very little (such as Mario).

Consider: Black Shadow

Ganondorf is the main antagonist of Legend of Zelda, he deserves to be much more than an F-Zero clone. I would consider imputing Falcondorf's move-set to another character. An F-Zero character, an F-Zero character that people actually enjoy. The Japanese enjoy one of the best voice actors, the West can enjoy an additional villain along with the best possible newcomer: Ganondorf.

Confirm: Hades

Personality adds a lot to a character, it adds a lot to a roster, and it adds a lot to the game. Hades is; objectively speaking, one of the most prominent fictional characters. A character that everyone can recognize. This is why he is one of the most ideal choices. As an enthusiast of antagonists, it does not hurt that he is one of the most notorious. Pit is a front-runner and a front-runner deserves their antagonist.

D

Deleted member

CUT: Fox Toon Link
WHY: While I don't hate him as much as some people do, he is easily the least unique of the known roster thus far, and I would remove him in order to diversify the roster. This is only because I have to make a cut; I'm actually quite satisfied with the current roster.

CONSIDER: Porky
WHY: While I don't see a 3rd Mother character happening any time soon, I feel as though Porky could make quite a unique boss on a stage based off of the Cave of the Past (Giygas's Lair) from EarthBound. He would obviously need a voice so that he can properly taunt the people trying to kill him in true Porky fashion, and upon being defeated, he switches off the Devil's Machine, and runs away. When Giygas is released, his attacks do not affect the player who KO'd Porky, until they are KO'd themselves.

I did two confirms because I was unsure whether it referred to newcomers only, or newcomers and veterans. If both, and I had to choose just one, I'd confirm Lucas first. DEATH TO EXPENDABLE LABEL!!

CONFIRM (Veteran): Lucas
WHY: I really hate the opinion that this character is "expendable" because he "is too much of a clone." Lucas was already quite different from Ness outside of his special moves, and the way I see it, if those moves are changed, Lucas is a completely different character. 99% of his "A" attacks are already completely different from Ness. Maybe some modifications to his attributes will also suffice, but he is fine as he is.

CONFIRM (Newcomer): Homura Akemi Samurai Goroh
WHY: Smash needs more time traveling, possibly homosexual middle schoolers who fight by stealing firearms from the Yakuza and the JSDF. It's high time F-Zero gets another character. I know the series has been dormant for a while, but if Star Fox (which is similarly dormant but not for nearly as long) can have three characters, F-Zero can defiantly have two. Goroh has been Falcon's rival from the beginning, and could very easily have a unique moveset. For those concerned about "another sword character," Goroh's machine is called the "Fire Stingray." Seeing as how Falcon's moves are taken from the name of his machine (Blue Falcon), Goroh would not only have fire attacks, but also lighting attacks. Goroh has teh ph1r3. F-Zero is literally the only franchise from the first game that still hasn't got a new character. (Yoshi does not count, because there are no other real candidates from his series other than Yoshi himself.) This should certainly change. Add a new F-Zero character, make a new F-Zero game, use the character as marketing for the game, Roy style. Makes sense, no?

Last edited by a moderator:

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Cut: :substitute:
No cuts if possible :)
Consider: Ray 01
It would be nice to see some Custom Robo love.
Confirm: Isaac
We really need Golden Sun representation though. Unlike Custom robo, its still alive and well.

silvR1995

Smash Journeyman
NNID
silvRboLt1995
3DS FC
0834-0571-4339

Explain to me why we need 2 Links in Smash. Go on, I'm listening. Honestly, I wasn't really a fan of 2 Links since we got Young Link in Melee. It's time to go; just one Link will do.

Consider: Astaroth

I don't know about the rest of you, but I really like the SoulCalibur series. I think he'd fit right in, really. And seeing as Namco is helping with the development of Sm4sh would make it much more likely to happen.

Confirm: Dr. Eggman

Don't tell me you wouldn't want to see Bowser vs Eggman, and NOT in Mario & Sonic Olympics. Plus, I'm sure the dev team can come up with a moveset that works, right? (Hey, it worked for Falcon...)

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
Why: Because I'm salty about no Young Link. He's a clone that hasn't really changed. Change him up or scrap him. I saw once on a Smash site, that Link was being called the "slower version of Toon Link". Now to me, that's just wrong. You shouldn't call the original, the one Toon Link is based off of, the side comparison.

Consider: Mona
Why: I like Mona. Plus, WarioWare as a franchise has a LOT to build on. Mona is a recurring character and it'd be awesome to see her.

Confirm: King K.Rool.
Why: Because it's King K.Rool. He honestly should have been in for Brawl. He's got awesome potential and that'll go to waste if he's not in, in my opinion.

StaffofSmashing

Smash Lord
NNID
Lolu83
3DS FC
1590-5734-6768

Who would I cut from the current roster? I will not cut Toon Link. He is one of the most important incarnations of Link and a major character. No. I would most certainly cut Lucario. I believe the only reason Lucario was considered was his importance to XY, and that was just for a section of the game that was 10-15 minutes. Sure it was important, ok ok. The thing is is that Lucario's prime time has come and gone. He was one of the main pokemon in my play through along with my LV. 70 Delphox, but we could use a different Gen 4 representative if we still want to rep it in the first place.

Consider (Sorry, imgur cut out.):
Jumpman (Look up my support thread for stuff), just because he is my most wanted.

Confirm: Mewtwo
Mewtwo is the #1 replacement for Lucario, as Lucario was a replacement in the first place. Mewtwo is also Mewtwo, so that automatically gives it points.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Cut: Charizard
If you cut Pkmn Trainer, you should cut all of them

Consider: Daroach, he has no hope but could be cool. I would be OK with an Assist Trophy

Veteran Confirm: R.O.B., To shut people up already about how he is a likely cut when he is anything but >:(

Newcomer Confirm: Chorus Men :troll:

In all seriousness, I quite like the lineup the leak has and Chorus Men would pretty much confirme it to be true.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Threads like this aren't really allowed here.
6: Flame War Potential Threads

While this forum is designed to discuss about the characters, you should refrain yourselves from making threads that could lead to flame wars. This especially includes anti-support threads; threads where people discuss about what characters should NOT be in the game.

If any threads are leading to a flame war, please report them to the staff.
http://smashboards.com/threads/character-discussion-guidelines-listings.324452/
I can foresee a flame war happening sooner or later so I guess I might as well go ahead and lock the thread.

*locked*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom