• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Casual Players Tier List: Is it Necessary?

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Whether or not there is a thread about this, I'd like to personally speak about this issue. We should have a Casual Players Tier List for Super Smash Bros. Melee, as well as the other two games. Seeing as we have a mix of casual and competitive players, most casual players would agree about having this kind of tier list.

Now since we have a large amount of casual players, this can also be considered a Community Tier List by all standards, and would allow for a lot of people to vote on a list of the characters that they think are best under circumstances, including the larger variety of stages, with the knowledge that the casual players have compared to the competitive players. This, in turn, could lead to significantly different results for a large majority of people and wouldn't lead to people switching their characters because of this; trust me, I have seen and I know that players have switched characters because of the competitive tier list.

Now, how could this work? Obviously like the competitive tier list, but on a larger scale, as there's a lot of casuals still playing Melee and the other games. Heck, I even admit I'm a casual player, whilst retaining the competitive knowledge, as well; admittedly, this is a contradiction I have to face daily. But enough about self-reflection, as I am saying that with certain analysis and data compromises, as well as a larger vote that isn't enclosed, I'm sure that a casual tier list is a good necessity to those who aren't going to enter the competitive scene.

Now how does this benefit casual players? Well, first of all, like I mentioned, it would keep them from selecting one character over another character because they think they are "much better" than others (though contradictory, the tier list is a chart to rate characters on their potential performances in tournaments). Secondly, it would allow a majority to create a list, with possibly thousands or tens of thousands of people voting on a list; I hope it wouldn't reach that, it would be scary as hell to think of that as it is. The last benefit, the most crucial, would be that it would keep casual players from bashing on competitive players about the tier lists and vice versa, because really, who would want that?

But in the end, I just wanted to bring up this issue and see what you think about it. Sorry for the long post, but this is just my opinion about it. While reckless, I'm cautious about it, and I feel this could make for a rather decent discussion.

phokdapolees

Smash Rookie
There isn't a point/need for a casual tier list, the idea itself is contradictory. Casual players simply play the characters they are most comfortable with or like the most from the roster. Also, what would be the odds of a casual player searching for a "casual tier list"? Most casuals don't even know/care about tier lists, and if they did and were looking for one, they'd just search for a regular one

Smash Rookie
A casual player tier list would be pointless, you might as well ask for a list of characters easy and fun to play. If anything, just refer to the normal tier list.

Last edited:

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
If you want the closest thing to a casual tier list, find the earliest melee tier list you can find. If there was a 2002 tier list, well that'd be perfect, because everyone was a n00b then.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I'm not sure why M2 or Yoshi would be in top 10 of a casual tier list. They are both very odd characters that most find cumbersome.

Varist

Smash Lord
REAL casual player tier list coming through

SSSSSS TIER WHAT IS THIS CHEAP ****

1. PEACH
2. MARTH
3. SHEIK
4. JIGGLYPUFF

S TIER OR "WOW LOL THAT CHARS PRETTY BROKEN HAHA"
5. FOX
6. ROY
7. ICU CLIMBERS
8. SAMUS
9. LINK

A TIER #1 FUCCBOI ASKING TO GET HIS **** PUSHED IN BY ALL NOOBS AT THE VENUE
10. FALCO
11. FALCON
12. MARIO
13. DOCTOR MARIO
14. LUIGI
15. PIKACHU
16. KIRBY

HOW DO YOU EVEN RANK THESE
17. YLINK DK YOSHI ZELDA MEWTWO GAMEBOY NESS PICHU

LOOOOOOOOOOOL

26. GANONDORF BOWSER

peach downsmash marth untouchable sheik the only character who can combo jigglypuff kills everyone who misses an l cancel

fox upsmash runs around fast shine spike noobs roy broken ass sword ice climber broken ass down smash does twice the damage of any character samus missle camp forever does ten billion holy **** link up b ****ing JANK noob ****** easiest edgeguard of your life dog

falco spam dair but will lose to all above him falcon cant combo **** as noob mario basic ***** doctor mario worse cus he got aids bad recovery noobs always flying off the stage luigi cant wavedash just run around slide off the level pikachu garbage kirby suicide kill you over and over belongs in cheap **** tier

ganondorf a garbage machine watch any of these noobs struggle to do anything

THIS TIER IS NOOBS VS NOOBS ONLY ANY NOOB VS PRO SCENARIO CANNOT BE WEIGHTED

SSBM_HypnoToad

THE HypnoToad?
Most used characters by casuals:

1. Young Link (because he's like a faster link)
2. Fox (upsmash spam, standing lasers spam)
3. Falco (forward smash spam, standing laser camping)
4. Falcon (falcon punch is so OP bruh hurr durr)
5. Link (he's good when you learn how to play him hurr durr)
6. Donkey Kong (down b is so op hurr durr)
7. Pikachu (when girls want to play as Pokemon)
8. Marth (forward smash is so op hurr durr)
9. Peach (when you ask your sister, mom, or girlfriend to play with you)
10. Sheik (for the people that actually want to win)
11. Roy (his sword is so op hurr durr)
12. MewTwo (for the hardcore Pokemon fan/ upsmash is so op hurr durr)
13. Pichu (girl, or as a joke)
14. Zelda (sheik's recovery sucks ****)
15. Jigglypuff (the worst character in the hurr durr)
26. Ice climbers (worst character in the game hurr durr grabbing, tilting down and tapping the a button at 100 bpm is too hard hurr durr)

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
OK, I get it. Being casual means you lack intelligence. I thought it just meant that you didn't really care to play the game competitively, but I guess I was wrong.

Varist

Smash Lord
OK, I get it. Being casual means you lack intelligence. I thought it just meant that you didn't really care to play the game competitively, but I guess I was wrong.
you were wrong about even being wrong son being a casual means you dont want to get better how's that lesson

JimiMotive

Smash Rookie
I fail to see why this is even a necessary thing. I mean, with causal players it's really just whatever they have fun with. Why is a tier list needed?

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Hmm, really, I have to think about why a tier list is needed for fun. But to sum it up, basically who is the most fun to play and who has good experience as a character.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
you were wrong about even being wrong son being a casual means you dont want to get better how's that lesson
It really depends on your definition of casual. A casual player could actually play and focus a bit on improvement, but they are just either not interested enough, or some other reason to not pursue smash competitively. A casual can also be a scrub,too, but not all casuals are scrubs, nor should we assume they are scrubs.

SSBM_HypnoToad

THE HypnoToad?
Hmm, really, I have to think about why a tier list is needed for fun. But to sum it up, basically who is the most fun to play and who has good experience as a character.
If you learn how to SHFFL with falco of SHL with falco, he is the most fun to play agaisnt your friends with.

SAUS

Smash Ace
If you learn how to SHFFL with falco of SHL with falco, he is the most fun to play agaisnt your friends with.
Falco is the noob slayer. If you master just some basic techniques, new/inexperienced players will get run over all day.

SSBM_HypnoToad

THE HypnoToad?
Falco is the noob slayer. If you master just some basic techniques, new/inexperienced players will get run over all day.
I think Puff, Ice Climbers (if you know how to wobble) and G&W are the noob slayers. Falco is above them all though, noobs can not handle shine combos, laser approaching, or even SHFFL nair.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
It really depends on the player in regards to a "n00b slayer". I remember early on back in 2004 when I could go up against some really good players and hold my own, but I would still have trouble playing against some n00bs with my M2. I could switch to CF though and just spam knees > jab and destroy them though. In general, newbies seem to have a harder time with rush-down strategies than defensive oriented strats, as they don't know what to do against a barrage of quick attacks.

I still think the best indication of a casual tier list is an early tier list, because at that point nothing was really discovered, and people were battling it out mostly with just raw talent. That, to me, is the best indication of what characters are newbie friendly than anything else. That said, if a casual player had a bit of interest in smash they could easily learn a few things that would basically destroy most casuals. Falco short hop lasers come to mind.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
This entire thread blew my mind.
you have a great avatar

There isn't a point/need for a casual tier list, the idea itself is contradictory. Casual players simply play the characters they are most comfortable with or like the most from the roster. Also, what would be the odds of a casual player searching for a "casual tier list"? Most casuals don't even know/care about tier lists, and if they did and were looking for one, they'd just search for a regular one
^this. It sort of sucks that this thread got a negative response but this pretty much sums it up. I guess it'd be interesting to talk about but to actually spend time creating a communal agreed upon tier list for casual play sounds pretty stupid.

Link is the casual god.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
The thing is, a casual tier list is impossible; however, a lowbie/newbie tier list isn't impossible. Basically, that list would simply be of characters that are the easiest to play with the lowest amount of tech skill/knowledge. This is why the oldest official tier list would be handy, because it would indicate in the least subjective way that is possible, which characters perform the best with low levels of tech.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
You should have just posted your opinion of the list. Given > 5 people will post to correct you, seeing it as a chance to advertise their knowledge is this important issue. Then, make an official casual tier list based on what you have learned. More wannabe melee experts will then point out where you are "wrong" (quotes because there really is no right or wrong here) and there you have it, the casual metagame is born. Just try to stay away from theory and stick with tourney results.

:troll:

Last edited:

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Most used characters by casuals:

1. Young Link (because he's like a faster link)
2. Fox (upsmash spam, standing lasers spam)
3. Falco (forward smash spam, standing laser camping)
4. Falcon (falcon punch is so OP bruh hurr durr)
5. Link (he's good when you learn how to play him hurr durr)
6. Donkey Kong (down b is so op hurr durr)
7. Pikachu (when girls want to play as Pokemon)
8. Marth (forward smash is so op hurr durr)
9. Peach (when you ask your sister, mom, or girlfriend to play with you)
10. Sheik (for the people that actually want to win)
11. Roy (his sword is so op hurr durr)
12. MewTwo (for the hardcore Pokemon fan/ upsmash is so op hurr durr)
13. Pichu (girl, or as a joke)
14. Zelda (sheik's recovery sucks ****)
15. Jigglypuff (the worst character in the hurr durr)
26. Ice climbers (worst character in the game hurr durr grabbing, tilting down and tapping the a button at 100 bpm is too hard hurr durr)
This list is so wrong. Go to an anime convention and look at what they use. A lot of Marth, Pikachus. Young Link never gets playtime over regular Link. And you left out Kirby. Need that up-B spam/fly high ->down B spam.

SSBM_HypnoToad

THE HypnoToad?
This list is so wrong. Go to an anime convention and look at what they use. A lot of Marth, Pikachus. Young Link never gets playtime over regular Link. And you left out Kirby. Need that up-B spam/fly high ->down B spam.
1. Gross, anime conventions.
2. I was referring to BRAND new players that are just playing with friends.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
I think there is no meaningful way to make a casual tier list. A tier list is supposed to more or less tell how players character choice affects their performance at a high level of skill. Casual players can have very different skill levels, so what would be the casual level of skill that the tier list would assume? For example, I started playing this game with sheik, and his tilt combos makes her super devastating vs players who have just started playing melee. At our casual group, sheik was the best by far. Then a few years later I learned falcos shl, and that absolutely destroyd everyone. But was I still a casual, even though I used some ATs? I definitely think so, because I wasn't that intrested in going to tournaments or trying to get better. My point is that it's a bit difficult to define what being casual precisely means, and that players can also be something between casual and competitive.

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
I actually just made a thread about this the other day, titled Casual Tier List. The way I see it it isn't a serious thing, but I'm curious to see what other people think about it is all. For example, everybody so far (thinking back to their n00b days) said that Ice Climbers sucked, and that Roy is amazing. Its just an interesting perspective. If anyone would like to contribute to my project, you can head over and just post who you thought were the best before you got into competition.

Top Bottom