• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cartoon Review: Chowder

Zook

Perpetual Lazy Bum
Link to original post: Cartoon Review: Chowder

'Chowder' first aired on Cartoon Network back in 2007. It immediately caught my eye due to the show's unique art style, and I've watched the show regularly since then.

If you've never seen an episode of 'Chowder,' here are the basics: Chowder, a young, rather inept boy of an indeterminable species, is the apprentence of Mung Daal, and works at his catering company. Of course, Chowder is a glutonous fat-*** (much like all fat people), and is constantly torn between the desire to prove himself to Mung and the desire to satisfy his appitite. (The latter usually wins.)

Other major characters include: Truffles, wife of Mung and *****asaurus extraordinaire; Schnitzel, a gruff and mistreated worker at Mung's catoring company; Gazpatcho, a fruitstand owner who lives with his mother; Miss Endive, Mung's rival and enormous fat-***; Panini, rabbit girl with a crush on Chowder; and Gorgonzola, a mouse who hates Chowder.

First off, this show has a lot of great stuff going on in it. Its animation style and artwork is all very cool; you can tell that the illustrators put a lot of effort into every background, object and character, and it really pays off. There are also several interesting design choices, such as the use of stop motion animation and (very rarely) puppets, along with a kinda cool technique where part of a character's image (normally an article of clothing or hair) is anchored down, and doesn't move with the character; rather, it scrolls.

A lot of the writing is quite good, too. The show's zaney, completely off-beat humor catches you by surprise constantly. Characters often break the 4th wall, usually either directly talking to the audience or referring to themsleves as cartoons characters.

I'm not gonna lie: I love Chowder. It's probably my favorite show on Cartoon Network right now. That said, it isn't perfect. There is an abundance of fart jokes and other bodily humor, which is garunteed to induce eye-rolls and really detracts from the show. I'll be watching an episode, going "Aaah, that's pretty clever... Hurr hurr hurr, fart." Several characters are also little more than walking stereotypes - most notably, the show's titular character.

ART: 5/5 - Probably the show's strongest point. It's cool to look at.
PLOT: 4/5 - A fat kid living in a world of food as a chef's apprentice? Pretty cool.
SOUNDTRACK: 3/5 - The music isn't anything special, but it isn't horrible.
WRITING: 3/5 - A lot of clever moments, but nothing groundbreaking. Also, fart jokes every 8 minutes.

TOTAL: 15/20

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Enjoyed this quite a bit. Chowder is extremely underrated; while it's certainly not the best show around (I personally prefer Flapjack, tbh) it's far from terrible, and is definitely one of the better recent shows on CN.

I hope to see more of these, if you were planning on making it a regular thing.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
It's a cartoon, mate. Don't expect something deep. I'd give it a 9/10 for plot, it's the perfect ******** plot for this new breed of retardedly awesome cartoons.

highfive

Smash Lord
ooh ooh! Do Adventure Time with Finn and Jake. I wanna see what other people think about it.

And Chowder is all right with me. I'm not that big of a fan though. I've seen it enough to understand who's who and usually watch Chowder over most other new shows.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
The thing that annoys me most about this show is that weird thing where the designs of their clothes don't move with their clothes. It's like there's a photoshop layer under the animation with these weird designs and their clothes are transparent.

Dokutayuu

Smash Apprentice
I'm not too fond of it myself. It's often fairly repetitive and Chowder himself gets annoying after a while. There's far worse stuff out there but Chowder isn't exactly near the top of my list. I miss Ren and Stimpy, I have no idea how they got away with it.

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
The only really good shows that come to mind from CN are the powerpuff girls, codename kids next door, flapjack and ed edd and eddy. A lot aren't bad, but in my opinion, after Canada started making the cartoons, CN went downhill. Total Drama Island was the only Canadian cartoon from CN that I watched, and if that's the only Canadian one, then I feel stupid. But after TDI, and when they had those live action shows, I was kinda like F*** IT, I'm watching CN at 11:00 from now on.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I'd like to point out since the death of many great cartoons:

Rugrats, Spongebob (closed), Thornberries, Ed Edd and Eddy, Cow and Chicken, etc etc etc...

This show is the only "new" ones that appeal to me. (I'm 18 now so maybe I'm just too old to care..)

-_skinny_-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3668-9841-7290
chowders pretty funny but i agree with hi5 Adventure Time is way butter :fin: :jake: oh... guess those dont exist...
i never watch CN before 10 o'clock anymore though

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
All you're missing is the new stupid Pokemon and I think Yugioh (ON MOTORCYCLES!)

-_skinny_-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3668-9841-7290
i cant believe Yugioh is still running -_-
i think if i watch it im gunna end up hating motorcycles...

Clownbot

Smash Lord
Yu-Gi-Oh (5D's- or any series in the YGO franchise, actually) doesn't air on CN any more, at least where I am... o_o

wrkngclsshr

Smash Rookie
Huh. Still airs on CN for me in the mornings.

5Ds isn't that bad, mentioning alienation and "justice" as plot themes. But 4Kids.... :/

Oh, and nice read, Zook. Can't wait for more (especially if Adventure Time's one of them!)!

TL?

Smash Ace
Chowder looks amazing compared to the other garbage they're running on CN these days. But looking at the show on it's own i'd say it's just alright. It's not bad but there have certainly been better cartoons.

-_skinny_-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3668-9841-7290
Agreed. Completely.

Where's my DBZ?
Toonami was awesome. It got me so hyped for DBZ.
DBZ Kai airs on Nicktoons. It's NOT as good as the original though because it has a new theme song (sucks) and it is digitally remastered (you would think it would be better, but i like the old school look alot butter) and they changed/added music and it dosn't sound right sometimes... other than that its friggin AZMAZING!!

-_skinny_-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3668-9841-7290
Yeah i was waiting so long for that part... i almost cried, no lie.
Why did they even change it though?

Top Bottom