• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Carolina Brawl Power Rankings [1/27] Breaking Bad PRs!! YAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regin

Smash Cadet
Baccano is like the Pulp Fiction of anime.........

and it has alchemy..........

and it has Prohibition-era gangsters..........

and it has super-powered freaks..........

It's a whole lot of weird and awesome. I loved it.
So much truth in one post.

ShadowAzure

Smash Journeyman
It's been a good run people. As much as I love you guys, I'm done with smash, I've taken quitting smash seriously into consideration ever since my passion for the game had begun to die out during the summer, and the incident at the most recent ReSe tourney was the final straw.

To Stock: GGs, I have nothing against you, as what happened was not your fault. I just feel Esam's interference near the end of game 3 was the only reason for my loss. Even though I was behind for a while, I was bringing it back to the point where the game and set became winnable for me. But then Esam interfered, COACHED you during the game, and I found myself having to question him because I was 100% sure he was breaking the rules against me, and he did. I mean trash talk and cheering for someone is normal, I get that (which is why I wasn't bothered when he said "let's go Stock" during game 1). But when someone gives actual advice to help a player in the middle of the match when it's against the rules is when I say the line has been crossed.

To Esam: I honestly don't want to go to anymore tournies after what you did and I don't care about what you have to say for yourself because of what the bottom line is. Upon reviewing the SKTAR ruleset that this tourney used, mid-game coaching is NOT allowed (http://www.sktar.com/?page_id=23). You weren't allowed to tell Stock what to do when he was playing me mid match, and I'm shocked that you said mid-game coaching was allowed in this ruleset. Coaching is allowed only in between games of the set, not during.

And thus concludes my final post on smashboards.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
*pats head*

Maybe if you were there you could actually argue about the rules of SKTAR. They changed that rule at the venue, and many MANY people were upset about it. Literally anybody who went to SKTAR can tell you coaching was allowed mid-match. I don't know WHY the changed it or what thought processes were behind it, but they did.

Also, if you are going to be so upset over one simple loss that you feel you didn't deserve, why wouldn't you just come back the next tournament and "win like you were supposed to?" Also, if you consider "Don't rush the kill" coaching...lol. That's pretty much just "stay calm" in different words.

Sorry to see you go, bro. You are fun to chill with, and you shouldn't let things get to you so easily.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Oh yeah, I remember that. I was coaching you guys (Or at least Scotty's team, not 100% sure who he was with) MID-MATCH. So...lol

waldorf2007

Smash Ace
NNID
Waldorf2007
Sorry to hear that Scotty, wish you would stay. I'd be interested in hearing the other factors in you quitting, I refuse to believe losing one set would do it.
Also I clearly remember that SKTAR rule change and the resulting salt/rage because of it, the SKTAR ruleset page is not an accurate indicator of what is/isn't allowed.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Scotty, if you feel like quitting is the right thing to do for yourself, then I support your decision. You have reasons other than what happened at ReSe, like you said. I hope this doesn't stop you from chilling with us occasionally, because you're still one of the bros.

H1N1

Smash Journeyman
I think i have been losing at tournies because someone put gum inside my control.

:phone:

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
Coaching or not, the better player will win regardless. I remember dmbrandon always saying that if you don't like coaching, then you need to gets some friends. But I don't play brawl so what do i know.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
Itt the brawl players hatred for the fact that they can't play online with no lag grows as even the smallest social outburst at tournaments causes careers to end.

Most Brawl players are extremely political and will only cheer for the player they socially benefit the most for cheering for/coaching for. My advice is to not take these things so seriously. You know who's had a ton of sets coached away from him? This guy. But, I just saw it as a good thing, because at the end of the day you have haters it's because your doing something right.

That bein said Scotty u play like a big vagine and I would never want to see you win in tournament vs anyone but MK

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Humans are extremely political and will support the person they socially benefit the most for supporting.
generalized that for you. dont see what that has to do with scottys situation specifically, as you could apply that to anything ever done by anyone.
still, the way I see it, he's free to make his own choices regarding the matter for any reason he sees fit. if you don't like his reasons, tough on you...its not your choice to make.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
I've had mixed feelings about this topic in the past, but now I have a solid opinion.

First off, the acts of cheering and trash talk are fun. It's a part of the Smash experience, and the FGC experience, in general. As long as it doesn't get too out of hand (like blatant harassment with the clear intention of harming someone), then it's all good. We shouldn't be telling people who they can and cannot root for. If a player can't handle being rooted against or being the target of reasonable trash talk, then he/she needs some thicker skin.

Coaching in middle of a game, on the other hand, can be absolutely and indisputably unfair if only one side receives coaching. Coaches feed important information to the players, because they have a clear, pressure-free view of the action that the players lack. They can help players adapt, read, punish, and avoid fatal mistakes. In a few rare cases, I've had coaching while my opponent didn't. I felt guilty for receiving it, which caused me to do worse than usual, but my odd reaction isn't the point here. If I had followed the advice, I would be better equipped to deal with the situation. My opponent wouldn't have had have the same benefit unless he had a coach too.

I say..........

1. Prohibit coaching in the middle of a game. Both players have the option of receiving coaching in-between games, though.

OR

2. Allow coaching in the middle of a game, but both players must designate their coaches before the set begins, if they choose to receive coaching.

Both options are simple and fair. Giving everybody the same opportunity is the way to go, and dueling coaches will only add to the fun of trash talk.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I agree that coaching mid-match is dumb, but it was allowed at SKTAR and I wanted to say general advice that would help the person I wanted to win.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
When I said Snap was doing it again I meant that Snap treats Brawl players a certain way because they play Brawl. A while ago Keith said that Snap tends to treat people a certain way because of the games they play. I mean I have noticed it in the past (and pushed it to the side). Snap tends to treat Melee players better than Brawl players because of the simple fact they play Melee. I mean I have noticed this stuff for years.

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
There is nothing wrong with coaching. It can be good or bad and can help you win AND lose as well. I'm 100% sure coaching wouldn't have been a problem if it benefited him or if he would've still ended up winning. Honestly it just seems like an over abundance of salt flowing.

Stockfield

Smash Champion
The thing is he said 1 thing to me. "Don't rush the kill."

Which I responded by immediately doing an up-tilt on his shield.

So it's not like he told me specific movement options.

:phone:

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
So if some random person were to yell "Watch Out!" when they went near a mine it wouldn't be fair? Even if that was the only thing they said? Or would it be considered coaching?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Either way, it isn't like I did that so it is irrelevant.

Also, Singles is supposed to be 1v1, so your own mental processes and mental stability should be dependent on yourself, not on anybody else. Therefore, coaching mid-match is hindering the 1v1 process.

Juno McGrath

Smash Hero
Jaurice don't ever talk to me like you think you know me or what I've been through or my predispositions with people. Your working with outdated software, homie.

Facts are facts, and stingers said it best. But real talk **** like Scotty's post just boost that vibe, the brawl community TENDS to be (in nc at least) to be more about competition than the social/broship part of the tourney scene.

I'm jus sayin, I've had red faced, salty brawl players get in my face after tournament sets because "The Melee players were being too loud during my set vs STEEEEEEENGEEEEERS."

Oh my god you are in public you are an adult were just a bunch of dudes playing Nintendo games.

This is my experience just in NC tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom