• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Carefully Ask PPMD about the Tiara Guy

earla

Smash Lord
ok how does falling and rising sh fair compare?

is the input specifcally for rising fair

jump, c stick right, fast fall, l cancel

is the input specifcally for falling fair

jump, fast fall, c stick right, l cancel

thanks

what are all the other variations of fairs i should practice.

Jun.

Smash Lord
How do I chaingrab Fox?

And when I get close to Falco, should I do the same thing?
not to be a **** but have you tried searching before using community bandwidth to post?

ever watch any m2k vids on FD?

common forum etiquette is to search before posting.

mers

Smash Ace
Two questions:

Obviously side-B gives you horizontal distance when you recover, but does it aid vertical recovery? Like, say I do an offstage dair right at the limit of where its safe to do so, while retaining my double jump. Should I just double jump as soon as possible, then up-B? Or should I double jump, side-B once, then up-B? Or even side-B first, then double jump? And how is this affected when you don't have a double jump.

Secondly, when I land a fastfalled tippered dair on a grounded opponent at low percent (so they just do that flinchy thing instead of bouncing into the air), what can I do afterwards? Against shorter characters its obviously easier to do stuff than on, say, Ganon. Is there time for anything besides a grab? Can I uptilt?

Thanks!

earla

Smash Lord
how does spiking forward compare to spiking facing backwards? which do you reccomend is better?

Jun.

Smash Lord
doesn't it seem like spiking backwards is always easier?

must have something to do with the tipped dair hitbox facing backwards imo.

Dart!

Smash Master
well every tippered part of the dair on the backside of marth is a spike...probably not right but i'm fairly certain.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I tried out standing still as Fox and suddenly my Fox dittoing skills like doubled or some jank
What is this secret technique
People be sidestepping and rolling and shielding and doing punishable stuff when you stand
TRIPPIN' MAD BALLS
Cactuar the man, showing me the road to victory

DippnDots

Feral Youth
It just depends on how you have to time the hit box really, i've found both are easy. Personally I like reverse spiking from a ledge hop, but you can do it while standing near the edge with the front, though they'll be able to ledge tech. I don't think one is easier than the other, it's just about your positioning. Be able to do both, definitely. From the back looks sexier

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
The spike is anywhere at the tip.

you can spike with it along the tip of the arc at any point you hit them.

IMO its harder to hit with the front but its just about where they are in relation to where you are.

Height(based on time) seems to be the most important factor. You need to reverse when you cannot get over them(because its too slow) to spike the top of them. Facing backwards you can spike along the entire arc.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
coulda swore this was the "marth" boards
Works for Fox too :bee:

Marth can just Fsmash or grab sidesteps / rolls so it's even easier :p Fox actually has to dash over...

Man, maybe it's time to main Marth again now that I've gotten a better understanding of how to play after Apex ~_~

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Sure, but he's soooo much fun aaahhhh
Besides I used to main Falcon how much harder could it be for Marth ... you can actually walk with Marth and not look like a ****** :lick:
I guess Marth has all sorts of cheap jank happen to him too though haha

Niko45

Smash Master
Sure, but he's soooo much fun aaahhhh
Besides I used to main Falcon how much harder could it be for Marth ... you can actually walk with Marth and not look like a ****** :lick:
I guess Marth has all sorts of cheap jank happen to him too though haha
lol yea CF is definitely harder

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
i'm not sure how many it has, but according to Seanson's Hitbox System...

it's iasa at frame 20, and there's 49 frames total. i'm not sure when the iasa frames would end, though.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Just ask m2k about marth's dtilt.

I remember the first time I met m2k he asked me to ask him about marth's dtilt.

I got an essay about how good it was.

So yea, ask m2k lol

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
iasa never ends. it's "interruptible as soon as," meaning you can interrupt it at that frame and on.

marth's dtilt is too good.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
iasa never ends. it's "interruptible as soon as," meaning you can interrupt it at that frame and on.

marth's dtilt is too good.
oh, so yeah, that's interesting to know.

what are you allowed to interrupt with? i don't think you can dash, but you CAN buffer a turnaround... you can jab... what else?

G

genkaku

Somehow I don't that a ken combo should be avoided via my brother's crazy SDI... 5 consecutive times.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
oh, so yeah, that's interesting to know.

what are you allowed to interrupt with? i don't think you can dash, but you CAN buffer a turnaround... you can jab... what else?
jump more tilt shield jab dash etc.

do what you must.

just notice when you d tilt marth takes forever to return to neutral standing. most of that garbage is cut off if you cancel on IASA frames.

earla

Smash Lord
which moves on shield do we an advantage on the opponents after using them? (how could i work this out for myself)?

2. if opponents above on platform and has to/doens't have to tech watevs. which situations would you sh uair instead of utilt? or uair variations? tips appreciated

OverLord

Smash Ace
I always Uair first, and then Utilt.

Uair covers all the platform and is faster than Utilt.

let's say: a Falco on a platform, if Utilt it's CC or dodged, he will go down and punish your Utilt during lag time with a Dair/whateva, if you Uair, if it hits, you can Utilt immediatly, and continue the combo, or punish the CC, or just shield in time before get punished. It's better Uairing first.

Sometimes if you predict the chase on platform with a Uair, and they don't CC, then you can Uair again as fast as you can, you can combo to death a spacies this way, 'cause from some Uairs you will get to put a tipper, just watch some M2K, it's nearly impossible to punish Marth if he's under a platform doing Uairs this way.

Utilt is easier to punish, and brings to less options

earla

Smash Lord
thanks.

what if they miss their tech and they're laying there in a position to getup/getup atk/roll left/roll right

whats my best options?

also, i don't understand how to use dancing blade. i've been watching vids and generally it's used sparingly. why use it at all when we have better options? just mixing up?

+ what are marths SAFE moves on shield, so after i hit these moves i can their patterns out of shield?

fair, dtilt, is there anything else we can lock our opponent in shield with?

OverLord

Smash Ace
thanks.

what if they miss their tech and they're laying there in a position to getup/getup atk/roll left/roll right

whats my best options?

also, i don't understand how to use dancing blade. i've been watching vids and generally it's used sparingly. why use it at all when we have better options? just mixing up?

+ what are marths SAFE moves on shield, so after i hit these moves i can their patterns out of shield?

fair, dtilt, is there anything else we can lock our opponent in shield with?
if they're laying doing nothing just Uair or Utilt

the point is: get the opponent to the platform, then WAIT

- if they tech, I suggest an Uair: 'cause it hits the WHOLE platform, so you can chase with the tip of the sword easily

- if they tech in place, you can Uair/Utilt, it depends on how much you are fast in reaction, as I said I suggest you always an Uair

- If they miss the tech, they're ****ed up

Dancing blade it's an optional move, you can use it or not, it depends on your style.
M2K doesn't use it very often, Makenshi uses it a lot and very well.

Generally you can use it to punish a missed tech, or also just to fast turn around Marth and facing the opponent if he's standing on your back. Against Fox sometimes it can kill if you land the third strike.

Makenshi uses it to block Falco's approaching, but as I said it's just an option, you can use also a Fair that leads to better combos.

Against Puff (and some other characters) at high percentages if you land the first hit, it combos with a Utilt, so spam it to get the kill instead of laggy and punishble Fsmash.

For the shield, I usually use Dtilts, Fairs and Nairs. Dtilts are pretty fast, and you can turn around just pressing away to avoid a shield-grab (there's a thread on this, it works really really well), and they shield stab often. Fairs and Nairs are good, but it takes good spacing to avoid grabs and moves outta shield, you must hit just with the tip.

To block someone jumping out of shield 'cause of the pressure, put a jab in after the Fairs/Dtilts, it works wonderful.

Keep in mind that you are not supposed to do a heavy shield pressure, just grab when you can, or get a shield stab. Try also to move around the enemy with pivot-grabs, try to bait him in spot-dodges, it's a free grab! DO NOT GET GRABBED WHILE DOING THIS.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I think uptilt is better than uair.

Uptilt has more of an arc which guides them to the center keeping a fast faller directly above the platform. Uptilt is faster and it combos a bit better.

You can always uair if they go to high from the uptilt.

You can cover at least 68% of the platform with uptilt and it doesnt take anything more than
a turn around to cover the rest of the platform.

same goes with Cgs. I uptilt when I can. and only uair when I have 2.

uair is harder to followup with.

that percent doesnt actually mean anything lol. But you can cover alot with uptilt and its much harder to do something like roll away from an uptilt but its easier to roll away from a uair.

Top Bottom