• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Syrup, Wario Land's Sultry Pirate Captain!

Freduardo

Smash Champion
K. Rool counts as a pirate - a tagteam of Rool and Syrup vs Greninja and Shiek would be sweet.

In fact, Captain Syrup is in a verrryyy K. Rool-like situation. She appears as the main antagonist for quite a few Wario games then seems to have disappeared off the face of the Earth. While K. Rool would probably be the more popular of the two due to his personality/potential, if Syrup made a few more appearances prior to her disappearance (i.e. the other 2 Wario games and maybe a few WarioWare cameos), I'd say she'd have a very similar fanbase.

In fact, perfect way to reintroduce Syrup into the WarioWare mythos - have her be pirating Wario's games!
She didn't disappear. She last appeared on the Wii. With anime cutscenes. And it's not that uncommon for a smash character to not appear on the system before the game is released.

There have been no Fire Emblem games on Wii U. Ganondorf has only appeared on Wii U in a remake. There is no Kirby U, Star Fox U, Metroid U, and many others. None of these franchises are dead.

If the New Super Mario Brothers series didn't rightfully take back platforming later on the Wii, I bet we'd have another Wario Land by now, but as New Super Mario Brothers 2 and U kind of pushed that franchise a bit much for now, I bet we get a wario land sequel in the next two-three years. And Syrup has like a 60% chance of being in that.

....Would I play a New Super Mario Brothers game with added characters of Wario and Yoshi that play like their platformer series?.... yes. Yes I would. Especially if Yoshi is also a power up and you can play as Yoshi riding a Yoshi. Would you?

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
I like Syrup, her move pool potential is enormous. If she doesn't get in, Mona is only second to her as a W rep; her moveset potential is equally good, she's been a gelato girl, a pizza deliverer, a rock star, an explorer, a cheerleader. etc.
Oops, okay so Syrup... She seems to have affinity with mechas, along with her other tendencies. Other than the genie, maybe she can climb into a mech and start messing stuff up.

Laniv

Smash Champion
I support! As a sign of hope for Monday, I made this moveset.

Jab: Captain Syrup slashes twice with a scimitar. 2% on the first slash, followed by 3%.
Forward Tilt: A roundhouse kick. 7%.
Up Tilt: Captain Syrup hoists up a large diamond above her head for 6%. Decent knockback.
Down Tilt: A low kick. 5%.
Dash Attack: Taking a page from Wario's greedy, rotten book, the captain dashes at the opponent shoulder-first. 10%.

Forward Smash: Using Giant Spear Man's giant spear, the captain lunges forward and stabs for 18%.
Up Smash: She holds a Sailing Bomb (a large spiky bomb with a propeller on top) and lets it fly directly up above her. Upon touching an opponent, it deals 19%.
Down Smash: She whips out a cannon half Olimar's size and fires it directly at her feet. It only hits on one side, but with 24% damage and plenty of knockback to make up for it.

Neutral Aerial: She swings a large sack of treasure around herself as she spins. 10%.
Forward Aerial: She flips over and does an axe kick. There is a sweetspot on her heel that meteor smashes. 14%.
Back Aerial: A simple kick behind of her. Slightly long range. 13%.
Up Aerial: She whips out the Bottomless Coin Sack and shakes it over her head, causing coins to fly out. Hits 6 times for 3% each time with deceptively long range.
Down Aerial: She gets Giant Spear Man's spear again and drops straight down. 14% damage and if it hits, causes opponents to be dragged down with her. When both Syrup and the opponent hit the ground, the opponent is popped back up for another 4%. If the two are off-stage, on the other hand

Grab and Pummel: She grabs the opponent by their ear (if applicable). She then knees them for 2% per pummel.
Forward Throw: She spawns the cannon again and fires a cannonball straight at them. 10%.
Back Throw: Captain Syrup grabs the opponent by their hands, spins around once, and lets them fly with a giggle. 11%.
Up Throw: A Sailing Bomb whisks the opponent just above her head and explodes dealing 17%.
Down Throw: Captain Syrup sets the opponent on the ground gently... and then a giant anchor drops right on top of them. 20%.

Neutral Special-- Bottomless Coin Sack: Captain Syrup takes out the legendary Bottomless Coin Sack she stole from the Shake Dimension and shakes it like mad, dealing a continous stream of 4% damage per second for 7 seconds. Occasionally, a large diamond will pop out, dealing 25% damage and heavy knockback. This diamond can be picked up and thrown.
Side Special-- Jet Pot: Captain Syrup equips a Jet Pot and charges forward. Deals only 10% damage, but it also gives Captain Syrup super armor during the charge. It also has a very quick start-up time, so it's great for getting out of a pinch.
Up Special-- Twisting Teacup: Captain Syrup hops into a large, teacup-shaped hovercraft and rides it up. Considering this is mainly a recovery move, this only deals a piddly 4% on contact.
Down Special-- Treasure Chest: Captain Syrup plants a large treasure chest roughly two-thirds her size. ...Now what? If an opponent should feel as greedy as Wario and try to open the chest, they'll find an unpleasant surprise waiting for them. Should the chest be approached by an opponent, two Pirate Gooms will pop out and go to town on them, wailing away with their spears for a grand total of 30%. Only two chests can be on screen at one time.

Final Smash-- Make A Wish: Using the power of the Smash Ball, Captain Syrup giggles as she rubs a mysterious looking lamp. Suddenly, Denpu springs forth from the lamp as Captain Syrup reclines on his shoulder. A far cry from a benevolent, blue genie, Denpu first spawns fireballs that travel along the stage floor. These fireballs move toward the center of the stage, dragging opponents with them. With a snap of his fingers, Denpu summons lightning that strikes the center of the stage with tremendous, spectacular force, sending foes flying for a whopping 40%. After the show is over, Captain Syrup hops off Denpu, who happily waves goodbye.

Taunts
Up Taunt
: Captain Syrup shows off a large diamond and puts it away with a smirk.
Side Taunt: Captain Syrup, always on the lookout for more treasure, takes out a telescope and peers through it.
Down Taunt: Takes out a gold coin and rolls it down her arm.

Victory Poses
Captain Syrup reclines on a sack of gold and blows a kiss to the camera.
2. Captain Syrup takes out the Bottomless Coin Sack and shakes...and shakes... and shakes...
3. Captain Syrup grins, spins, and makes a strongman pose.

Her losing pose has her clapping with an "I'll get you next time" glare.

Overview
Captain Syrup has long range on many of her moves, so she's constantly playing keep-away with her opponent. She also is somewhat quick on her feet, allowing her to get to treasure before anyone else. The treasure chests, while good for keeping enemies occupied, are still visible and will require some trickery to get them close. Her recoveryAll in all, Captain Syrup is a high-mobility character who will have to tease and toy with the enemy right before launching them away behind their back.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Captain Syrup's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I don't know much about Captain Syrup, but what do you guys think of this?:

Credit to evilwaluigi.

Last edited:

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
Came here to say that I totally support Captain Syrup for Smash Bros! This will hopefully explain all my thoughts about Syrup and the Wario Land franchise in general while I comment her pros and cons:

Pros
+Represents an entirely unrepresented but popular and quality series, despite the main character of it appearing in Smash

Completely agree. The fact that in Brawl only WarioWare was represented while Wario Land got nothing really frustrated me. As much as I like both, Wario Land is the main series for Wario, not WarioWare, to begin with.

Also, Wario represents his own series in Smash, he has a different logo from the Mario characters, like Yoshi; and Syrup is the real villain behind Wario Land. WarioWare doesn't have villains at all btw.

+Another female character is always nice, but she's also a villain and doesn't retain the personality of any other female characters

Indeed! A female villain! Hey, we ain't got one of those yet! I really think Syrup would be a perfect fit for that. She has personality and could play very different from any other character we've got. She would also be a fresh addition!

+Save a possible Toon Zelda/Tetra, we have no pirates in Smash

Toon Zelda? I honestly think that won't happen. But even if it does, what? Both are very different. Just look at how many swordsmen we have already...

+Nostalgia value

Absolutely. I utterly adore the Wario Land series: it's fresh and original, not the same good ol'Mario all the time.

+Introduces newer players to an older series

Yeah, and the WL series is a very important part of Nintendo history! Wario Land even surpassed sales of Mario Land, and Wario has always been a fan favorite specially in Japan.

Cons
-Not very well known

Pit and ROB in Brawl. Little Mac in Japan. Yet they got in. Being well known has never been a must to get in.

-Adds a rep to an admittedly small series while other, more popular series go underrepped

Underrepped? Mario has 5 fighters, Fire Emblem has 4. Even Earthbound has two semi-clones, and Star Fox, well... The only one really underrepped is DK and it still has two reps (soon 3 with K Rool hopefully!).

-Would probably lose out to another WarioWare rep

Who? Jimmy? Mona? 9-Volt? All those guys are meant to be assist trophies all the way, like Ashley is. Besides, they're not as iconic and relevant as Syrup. She is Wario's nemesis after all, she's to Wario what Bowser is to Mario.

-Wario Land is currently a dormant, possibly dead sub-franchise

F-Zero is dormant, Wario Land is not. We had Shake It! for the Wii not too long ago, and a new Wario Land is always in the table imo. In fact, I really hoped for Wario World 2 or Wario Land U for this E3. But I'm not worried, he'll get his fully-fledged game (not like Game & Wario) eventually, just a matter of time!

WL a sub-franchise? WL is Wario's main franchise, at the same level or even more than Wario Ware. As a matter of fact, I think WW is now dormant instead, seeing what they did with "D.I.Y." and Game & Wario, it's clear they have run out of ideas for the WW series at least for some time.

Aaaand that's it. Could you please add me to the supporter list?

EDIT: Oh yeah and

Hey guys, according to this list, how would Captain Syrup's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible)
I'd say between Speedster, Ranger and Juggler. Something like Greninja but a bit slower when running, fast punches with a bunch of combo possibilities and some ranged attacks such as bombs or stuff, sweet stuff. LOL

Last edited:

toadster101

Banned via Warnings
NNID
toadster101
3DS FC
1891-1323-0892
I would LOVE to play as Captain Syrup, but unfortunately it seems like Sakurai wants to pretend that Wario Land doesn't exist. :/

Yaargh!

Smash Rookie
I would like to join the Crew of The Sweet Stuff!

I'm hoping they're holding off Wario's reveal to put him in a trailer with Captain Syrup. It's more likely it's a Rhythm Heaven or WarioWare character, though, which would still be pretty neat.

I like her dynamic with Wario. They're both greedy, terrible people but since Wario's stronger and the player character besides, he usually (with one exception in Shake It!) comes out on top.

Expecting a tale of Good and Evil? Too bad! It's just two greedy people fighting viciously over treasure. You have no moral high ground whatsoever.

Plus, I think she has some pretty good move set potential, being a Pirate captain and possibly borrowing from her boss appearances.

Also I think we need at least one pirate in the roster to balance out the two ninjas.

Laniv

Smash Champion
And we're back in business!

Syrup still has a chance!

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
With Stonecarving City from Wario Land: Shake it! being played in the recent direct, there's still some hope for some more Wario Land representation.

Also you can add me to the supporter list.

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, the captain is still alive! Finally some Wario Land representation, now if they only added a stage...

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Syrup is one of my most wanted, and Warioland is one of my favorite series.
I don't know much about Captain Syrup, but what do you guys think of this?:

Credit to evilwaluigi.
I already saw this in the past; it's awesome anyway
The moveset ideas i this picture are perfect

Chase

Smash Ace
Sign me up to support. Wario Land needs some love, and Captain Syrup is a really fun character to me, being a combination of Peach and Bowser to Wario.

Laniv

Smash Champion
I've been thinking, what if Captain Syrup started appearing in the Mario spin-off games?

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
it would be very cool... I honestly think that it's not going to happen, because Nintenddo seems to not care about referencing to old games in their Mario spin-offs. Daisy is part of the "Mario Party" crew but it's an exception, they use her because she was in Mario Party, not because of Mario Land; she's treated like Waluigi that's a character originated in Mario's party games.
The only reference to Warioland in a Mario spin-off was the Sherbert Land track in Mariro Kart 64, but I doubt they even remember where the original Sherbet Land is from, the track is pretty generic and it has penguins from Mario 64; aside from the name, not any other reference to Warioland.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
it would be very cool... I honestly think that it's not going to happen, because Nintenddo seems to not care about referencing to old games in their Mario spin-offs. Daisy is part of the "Mario Party" crew but it's an exception, they use her because she was in Mario Party, not because of Mario Land; she's treated like Waluigi that's a character originated in Mario's party games.
The only reference to Warioland in a Mario spin-off was the Sherbert Land track in Mariro Kart 64, but I doubt they even remember where the original Sherbet Land is from, the track is pretty generic and it has penguins from Mario 64; aside from the name, not any other reference to Warioland.
Don't forget Wario's Shipyard in Mario Kart 7 that feature a music from Warioland 3 and Bull Wario. It's not that much, but Warioland isn't totally forgotten.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
It's saddening to see WarioWare get more attention while Wario Land getting the shaft big time. Why does Sakurai pretend that Wario Land doesn't exist?? I'll never get it. Anyways, it would be really cool to see Capt. Syrup playable. I would take her over any WarioWare character in a heartbeat.

I SUPPORT

Reiga

He sold diddy for a switch
3DS FC
1461-7646-7368
Add me as a sweet stuff swabie! A female and villain character from one of my favorite platformer series? Sign me in!

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I bet this is because of Warioware japanese popularity. Or just Sakurai Bias.

After all...
I guess it isn't surprising that WarioWare is a little more popular in Japan, but that doesn't give Sakurai an excuse to not put any Wario Land content in general.:glare: I feel that Wario Land should given more priority because it is the main series and WarioWare is a spinoff.

P.S. What is your sig from? Looks pretty neat.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Hey guys, if Captain Syrup made it in, what do you think her Palutena's Guidance would be?

Laniv

Smash Champion
Hey guys, if Captain Syrup made it in, what do you think her Palutena's Guidance would be?
Pit: (bad pirate voice) Avast, me hearties!
Palutena: That's Captain Syrup, leader of the Black Sugar Gang.
Viridi: I hear her greed and desire for treasure rivals even Wario's.
Palutena: She once stole a golden statue of Princess Peach, and an Ancient Globe containing the Shake Dimension.
Pit: Treasures... You don't think she'll try to steal the Great Sacred Treasure, do you?
Viridi: Nonsense, Pit. Captain Syrup's just a human. She couldn't take it if she tried.
Palutena: Maybe... but just in case...

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Pit: (bad pirate voice) Avast, me hearties!
Palutena: That's Captain Syrup, leader of the Black Sugar Gang.
Viridi: I hear her greed and desire for treasure rivals even Wario's.
Palutena: She once stole a golden statue of Princess Peach, and an Ancient Globe containing the Shake Dimension.
Pit: Treasures... You don't think she'll try to steal the Great Sacred Treasure, do you?
Viridi: Nonsense, Pit. Captain Syrup's just a human. She couldn't take it if she tried.
Palutena: Maybe... but just in case...
I like this, my only thought was Pit being surprised by the concept of a Pirate that isn't a space pirate like he's fought. How could it be a land pirate, doesn't it need a ship?

Pit finds Ridley's gang comfortably familiar.

Reiga

He sold diddy for a switch
3DS FC
1461-7646-7368
Syrup movepool I made:

Jab:
A: Syrup uses double scimitar, swipes the right one
AA: Swipes left scimitar
AAA: Repeats until releasing button, which does a finisher kick

Tilts:
Side-Tilt: Does a straight kick
Up-Tilt: Does an upward jab of the scimitar
Down-Tilt: Does a low kick, can trip opponents

Smashes:
Side-Smash: Throws some coins out of the bottomless coin sack
Up-Tilt: Syrup does a handstand and delivers a powerful kick
Down-Tilt: Syrup stands on one leg and does a spin kick with the other.

Aerials:
Neutral: Syrup does a quick spin
Front: Syrup stabs with both scimitars
Back: Does a back kick
Up: Jabs upward with both scimitar
Down: Syrup does a flurry of kick, similar to Pac-Man's down aerial

Grabs:
Pummel: Syrup slaps the opponent
Up-Throw: Throws opponents upwards
Side-Throw: Headbutt's opponent
Down-Throw: Showers opponents in money from the bottomless coin sack

Specials:
Neutral: Syrup kicks up a bomb, it explodes a few seconds after touching the ground and explodes if ever touched
Side-Special: Commands a miniature version of the Mecha Kuri boss from Wario Land 2, it walks straight and skewers
anyone in it's path, walks off ledges and only one can be on screen.
Up-Special: Syrup hops on Bobo's (WL2 sized) back while doing a little giggle, works similar to Villager's up-special, Bobo's wings do damage and a few hits may take Bobo down.
Down-Special: Syrup uses the bottomless coin sack downwards and flurries of coins fall, each coins do minimal damage, but combined do much more damage, if used in air can spike.

For this moveset the Capn. get's a small design change to support double scimitar, though not a lot different than her WL: Shake It! design. Hope you guys liked my moveset!

Last edited:
NNID
AwesomeCauliflwr
3DS FC
0576-6167-0092
count me in, wario land really deserves more content and to have a female that is actually greedy and mean is a big contrast to all of the other females and would make her stick out and be unique. although we do have wendy koopa now, syurup has a lot more personality and we don't have any pirates in smash as well. her only real competition for a female villain is probably medusa.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I am reviving this thread with the whole Smash Bros. Ballot thing going on. I believe you all know what to do: vote for Captain Syrup! I heard it is possible to vote for multiple characters.

Chase

Smash Ace
I am reviving this thread with the whole Smash Bros. Ballot thing going on. I believe you all know what to do: vote for Captain Syrup! I heard it is possible to vote for multiple characters.
It is. So I'm casting at least two votes every day, one for King K. Rool and one for Captain Syrup. If more come to mind, I'll put them in, but only one vote. We can do this, guys!

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
It is. So I'm casting at least two votes every day, one for King K. Rool and one for Captain Syrup. If more come to mind, I'll put them in, but only one vote. We can do this, guys!
I see. Man, I sure would love to see Syrup be playable in the game! The rest of you know what to do, and make sure you tell your friends to vote for her as well.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Voted, here's what I wrote (keep in mind I tried my best to fit it under 500 characters):
Captain Syrup is Wario's main rival (excluding Mario) who appears in the Wario Land games. She's a greedy pirate who plunders the world for treasure, stealing riches such as a Princess Peach statue. After Wario stole from her in the first Wario Land, the two formed a bitter rivalry.

Captain Syrup would make a great addition to the Smash Bros. roster. On top of having a moveset inspired from the underrated Wario Land series, Captain Syrup would help make the roster even more unique as she is one of the few female Nintendo villains (AND she's a pirate). I hope you consider her to be DLC.
Her chances/overall notability are probably low compared to characters like K. Rool, Isaac, and Chorus Kids, but I'm still hoping that she makes it.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I played this game, and I'm actually one of the few people who completed it 100%, but I never noticed this until now -.-

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I played this game, and I'm actually one of the few people who completed it 100%, but I never noticed this until now -.-
Waitwaitwaitwait what is that. WHAT IS THAT.

This got to be a hack. With the "Shake It" design on her doll, it can only be a hack.

Last edited:

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
So it's just an hack -.- sorry. There are very little informations about it, and it looked familiar enough that I had not checked myself if it was real or not. Too bad :c

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Cool she has a thread.I always found it funny how people ask for more villians but skip over syrup.She's a pirate,loves money,cheats, and is a female.She already hits 2 marks that people say we need more of(being both a villian and female) let's get her on there so she can start kicking butt

Amiiboshiibo

Smash Journeyman
I definitely support Captain Syrup. She's pretty much everything Smash needs more of. Villains (that aren't heavyweights), females, pirates, and Wario Land.

ElDood

Smash Cadet
I voted for her on the ballot too. Wario Land needs some more representation (or any for that matter.) Plus, she'd HOPEFULLY get her own Wario Land themed stage which I would appreciate greatly. What kind of Wario Land music would you like to see added to the game if our sweet and salty pirate made it into smash?

I choose this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n7suMYBnTM

Top Bottom