• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Captain Falcon is top tier material!

supercake

Smash Apprentice
nah really he is fast and is his up b is good. his knees been dislocated but thats ok because he has the reverse falcon punch. discuss

Illussionary

Smash Journeyman
Nope sorry, sure Falcon has good aerials and ok combos. But his recovery is easily gimped and its nearly impossible to lead a combo into knee. His ground is absolutely horrible. All in all he is low-bottom tier.

PolMex23

Smash Champion
Theres some advanced quick combos u can do to ledge guard which makes him good against quick up-b recovery players.

Other than that, he has the quick ledge hog, into a short jump ledge knee that can catch some opponents off guard.

The occasional dash, up-a, up-a, into a (dream knee) fall back to the ledge or stage.

The occasional amazing gimp spike at 30% or lower.

The rare but if you mind game hard an read so well, you could catch someone with the reverse.

And, there is the jump offstage, hit with a mistimed knee, then quick second jump into a sweetspot knee.

Ol Captain aint the same. He isn't a pressuring character no more. Hes more of a counter character without counters...

Im trying very, very, very hard to bring him back. Hes so fun, yet so easy to be punished.

Im sure that Isai will do something to C Falc and save all C Falc players xD, but probably wont happen soon. =(

Idc, Ill use him till the end xD

Sh1n0b1

Smash Journeyman
Does this even need to be discussed? You know, many people will come into this topic and just flame you for being an absolute idiot

Chris is me

Smash Apprentice
(attempts to salvage)

I think that he'll be the top of Lower, or bottom of Middle. Yup, I'm being optimistic, but most of the guys putting him below Ganondorf on their tiers (lolwut?) haven't actually put time into him. Not like I have room to speak as some wise Brawl expert or something, but he's not that pitiful.

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Nope sorry, sure Falcon has good aerials and ok combos. But his recovery is easily gimped and its nearly impossible to lead a combo into knee. His ground is absolutely horrible. All in all he is low-bottom tier.
His recovery is not easily gimped.

Medic

Smash Cadet
"TIRES DON EXITS!"

Well, the Tier system is generally based on tournaments, so if you want him high, win with him. That's what we can do.
He's a character you have to learn, but what you learn from him can be used so well on so many other characters.
I am a Falcon main and I have no qualms saying that he is a difficult play. He is not easy. Winning with him is hard. The Falcon punch is useable, but only when you know it is right. The knee should not be depended upon, and his ledge game is VERY solid. So, you know what? Prove 'em wrong. It's not gonna be easy, but it's not impossible.

Knee Of Justice!?

Smash Cadet
as a captain mainer i do agree he has been nerfed some what but i still love the way he plays he is by no means bottom tier.

mcnichoj

Smash Apprentice
No, never. I'm seeing him finally ending somewhere in mid-tier.

Super-Donovan-64

Smash Rookie
I like Captain Falcon, but I wouldn't say he's Top Tier. Top of the mid-tier, maybe, but not top tier. His main advantages are his combo of speed and strength, and his Falcon Punch and Knee of Justice. However, his recovery is less than average, and the Raptor Blast and easily send someone to their Death-And not just who you hit either.

D

Deleted member

Last edited by a moderator:

vills

Smash Cadet
maybe if we give falcon some time we might find something really good about him
maybe theres something really good we havent discovered yet....

flash7

Smash Journeyman
I dont think his recovery is that bad. Rather I think he has one of the best recoveries not including the mutlijumpers and characters with super long lasting up-bs(snake, rob). His up b goes really far horizontally (when you move in the direction you are facing) and even seems to have some extend vertical reach (on BF ill often grab the ledge even though he is technically below it).

Id say its above average since most character recoveries arent that good in both horizontal and vertical range.

This still doesnt make him being any closer to top tier however :p.

Mid of mid at best

F5Hazardousdoc

Smash Ace
Yeah, only downside to falcon's up b recovery is that it can be easily edgehogged. If the opponent is fast and grabs the edge just in time, or if falcon is too far away, his recovery can be gimped easily. However, the flipside is that if falcon catches you while you try to gimp his up b or side b, you could be either spiked *side b* or Stage spiked *up b* and also give falcon another try to get back. His recovery is decent, if his recovery had a tier, it'd be upper mid.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I dont think his recovery is that bad. Rather I think he has one of the best recoveries not including the mutlijumpers and characters with super long lasting up-bs(snake, rob). His up b goes really far horizontally (when you move in the direction you are facing) and even seems to have some extend vertical reach (on BF ill often grab the ledge even though he is technically below it).
No, his recovery is bad. It's very predictable. It's decent in terms of distance, but that's it really.

metafalcon

Smash Rookie
captain falcon is faster and stronger than most of characters being a heavyweight and a lot of combos. HE MUST BE A HIGH TIER!!

Sh1n0b1

Smash Journeyman
No, his recovery is bad. It's very predictable. It's decent in terms of distance, but that's it really.
I honestly don't understand how you think Falcon's recovery is bad. It is way better than Mario's, Ike's, Falco's, Wolf's, Bowser's, DK's, Ganondorf's, and characters that can only do tether recoveries. Falcon's recovery is predictable but it is high damaging (Up B of course).

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Falcon's recovery might be predictable, but even if you DO predict it you usually can't do anything about it. Most Dairs are either not very good or hard to connect with, and besides Dairs Falcon's UpB will go through pretty much every other aerial. Plus people are always scared of stage spikes and such. Seriously if you take a low approach to the edge there's not much anybody can do to stop you. Save your double jump until you NEED to use it and then use UpB at the appropriate time.

This would never happen to Falcon: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JsCYC-V73o8

Granted the deaths are player/lag caused (especially the first) but come on even with those errors/poor situations you should NOT have a problem recovering from that. Falcon would NOT have died in those situations.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
All you need is good timing ledgehogging if he comes low, and if he actually makes it back, it's a free ledgehopped aerial.

And ledgehogging ISN'T hard. Actually it's quite a bit easier to grab the ledge quickly in Brawl BECAUSE of the physics engine. The only thing is you just can't wait on the ledge and roll up like in Melee, so it actually takes skill to do that.

And disjointed hitboxes are never fun to deal with when your recovery is predictable. Including projectiles.

Take Mario's recovery, I'm pretty sure it's still better than Falcon's. Not because it goes nearly as far, but because Mario has many more options to counter ledgeguarders. He gets a lot more air time, so he can projectile spam. His air game has a lot less lag, so he has less trouble using those. His Cape not only helps his recovery, but is a disjointed hitbox that turns around projectiles and people. IIRC, his Up-B also has less landing lag if he must overshoot the ledge.

Ayaz18

Smash Champion
as much as i would like to support Falcon i have to agree, he is in fact low tier, not lower than Ganon but still low, the only reason why is because Brawl's physics don't compliment Falcon, if there was more hitstun then Falcon could be higher.

Top Bottom