• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't read my opponents

Ghork

Smash Rookie
Hi, I want to get into a bit of competetive smashing. I'm very experienced at a more casual level and on the 3ds my current for glory win ratio is 70%. But it feels like I have some major issues when I finally find a good player to play against (I leave if the opponent is too weak and stick to matches where my opponent kicks my butt).

So I'd like some advice. When I play against good players I usually go mad because whatever I try I feel like it's hopeless. I try to read what they do. But whether I stand and wait for them to attack, dodge it and counterattack or try to approach them it just feels impossible at times.

Examples of problems I have:
  • I run up to the opponent with a dash attack, they block and punish. I then try grabbing instead, they dodge and punish. I then try running up to them using an attack that hits multiple times (i.e. up smash) which they either block or just hit me before I am able to do anything.
  • Doing combos that people always seem to succeed with against me. For example Ganondorf side-b -> down-tilt-a. When I do it (mashing to do it as soon as possible) people often manage to roll away while when I am the victim I can't roll away fast enough no matter how I try.
  • Avoiding attacks and hitting the opponent. Often when I dodge a grab or attack they hit me again faster than I can either grab them or hit back.
I try to main Zelda, but I feel like I have troubles against most of the characters people play online.
Characters I play well with and that I often win with are: Ness, King Dedede, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, G&W & Pikachu.

I have most problems against (when they are good): Mario, Greninja, Zero Suit, Sonic, Fox, Megaman, Yoshi.

Do you have any tips? Overall advice for reading my opponents, approaching with a successful attacks or avoiding getting combo'ed. Any guides I should check out?

B0NK

Smash Lord
If you can't read your opponents then don't lol. Reading at top level comes from situational experience, if you're new to the game don't worry about it.

Just try to think about what you get hit/killed by, and what options you have that can either flat-out beat it or at least keep you from getting hit by it.

To avoid getting combo'd, learn to DI the combo moves or simply not get hit by the move that puts you in that situation. Get online with a friend and test what DI will help you avoid the combo.

Smash isn't as simple as most people think, at least at high levels. It's really difficult to break the high level to top level barrier for a majority of players. There's not gonna be a guide that helps you. Until then, just focus on the basics of the game and your character match ups. Since the game is new, you're not gonna find match up guides to point you in the right direction. Usually the best early metagame players are the ones that can figure out the match ups they have to face better then their opponents did.

Last edited:

Ghork

Smash Rookie
Ok, thanks a bunch, very informative!

I sort of know what hits me / kills me but I am having big issues avoiding it and dealing damage at the same time.
I get very frustrated at times because it feels like whatever I try isn't good enough. Like it doesn't matter what I try.
Simply feels like I'm missing out on something...

B0NK

Smash Lord
Well, it happens. Do your best to not let your emotions get to you. (Happens to others too, in any competitive game). Save your matches, watch over them, see what you got hit/killed by the most and take a logical approach to figure out how you can avoid or counter it. During a match, try to think back to what you know about the match up, sticking to a game plan at least lets you see if your game plan works.

Eventually with experience you'll learn what to do in certain situations and apply that "adapting" to your game.

Sorry if I sound redundant lol. Stick with the game, find friends that you can practice with and discuss the game with. That'll be the most help to you. (Cause unfortunately, you can't always find that at a tourney).

|RK|

Smash Marketer
The most basic advice I can give with regards to reading: look for patterns, as well as the most likely response. For example, I'm a Lucario main. I know how people will react to certain actions, be it the charge time on my Aura Sphere, or following my rolls (unfortunately, usually far later than I should). At that point, you simply figure out how to exploit those reactions. Throw in exactly what they don't expect.

Your opponent rolls back when they see a dash attack? Extend your dash, then attack, or change what you're doing entirely. Or, if (again, Lucario specific) they'll punish my landing lag from Extremespeed, maybe next time I'll be certain to cancel the lag and Double Team. Things like that.

YAYCONFORMITY

Smash Apprentice
To practice, try paying close attention to situations where opponents have limited options. For instance, when your opponent is on a ledge, their options are generally limited to either a get up attack, a roll to the ledge, a jump, or just getting to a standing position. Since their options are pretty limited, this is a good chance to practice reading. What does your opponent do? Does he always use a get up attack? Does he always jump? Does he always roll? Since you only have to look out for about 4 options, this is a good chance to work on reading and responding. If they do a get up attack, shield and grab. If they jump, jump and f or uair. If they roll, DSmash.

Similarly, when an opponent is on their back, that's a good chance to practice. From that position, all they could really do is get up attack (shield and grab or tilt or smash if you have a quick one), roll forward (dash attack or grab them) or roll forward (turn and smash). So, that's another good opportunity to practice noticing their patterns.

madworlder

Smash Apprentice
Think about what your opponent wants to do based on your options, and try to get them to do something you can take advantage of. As far as approaches go, you mentioned three options which are important, but you didn't say anything about trying something like running in and short hopping backwards to try to bait a roll or counterattack. You can punish those options with an aerial move. If they shield, you can empty jump and go for a grab, or just retreat and try approaching again. You might be too predictable with the options. If you always went for a dash attack, grab, and multi-hitting move in that order, your opponent would probably catch on very quickly, and be able to punish accordingly.

ATH_

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0963-0267-2548
Switch FC
6592-1642-9705
During the first game, try to catch on to what patterns you see them doing, and them figure out how you can punish it. If you're thinking of how, try to avoid taking extra damage to ensure you'll be able to land the nice punish. Try to bait your opponent by doing things that they may consider a pattern, and see how they react. This is a situation where you can begin to have the inverse happen, see how your opponent answers you, and then counteract. It's hard to get used to, and it takes practice. So I'd say to keep on learning against these kinds of foes.

ExigeOlimin

Smash Cadet
As a newer competitive player, I understand where you're coming from. What seems to work for me is doing the unexpected. I go in like I'm going for a dash attack, then I forward roll to get behind them (if they block or attack). If not, I block and then try to punish.
If you have a counter on your character that works well too. If they look like they are going to attack, counter.

Kwam$tack$

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KwamStackS
experience. experience and more experience is the only thing to help. With experience comes reading, mind-games, and mix-ups that'll help you climb the competitive ladder

Top Bottom