• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can't Let you cut me Sakurai, Wolf for DLC

SmashFighter64

Smash Cadet
Right now, our best bet is that anyone who supported this thread (over 2400) had placed their vote on Wolf, knowing now that Sakurai would be developing characters that are based on the fan's demands.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
He said from now on its going to be fan service. So I'm assuming characters that are highly requested on the ballot.
You assume, but you don't know it for a fact. So how do we know he doesn't have any pre ballot characters that could count as fan service.
Right now, our best bet is that anyone who supported this thread (over 2400) had placed their vote on Wolf, knowing now that Sakurai would be developing characters that are based on the fan's demands.
Don't forget in between the Mewtwo reveal and Lucas reveal/ballot announcement, we sent letters to him showing the over 2000 supporters, also need I remind you that these exist in the game,

Also Wolf will be in Star Fox Zero.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
I thought ALL the DLC was fanservice. Didn't he say that every bit of DLC was going to be 'for the fans', or something like that?

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
You assume, but you don't know it for a fact. So how do we know he doesn't have any pre ballot characters that could count as fan service.

Don't forget in between the Mewtwo reveal and Lucas reveal/ballot announcement, we sent letters to him showing the over 2000 supporters, also need I remind you that these exist in the game,

Also Wolf will be in Star Fox Zero.
The fact that he said "from now on" means that Pre-Ballot is over. He wouldn't have said "from now on" if the Pre ballot Dlc was still being made. Please consider the wording carefully.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
The fact that he said "from now on" means that Pre-Ballot is over. He wouldn't have said "from now on" if the Pre ballot Dlc was still being made. Please consider the wording carefully.
So why didn't he make Wolf pre ballot then? Also he acknowledged Roy and Lucas as fan demands. Though why not work on anything for 3 months? Ballot ends on October 3rd not July 3rd.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
So why didn't he make Wolf pre ballot then? Also he acknowledged Roy and Lucas as fan demands. Though why not work on anything for 3 months? Ballot ends on October 3rd not July 3rd.
They don't have to wait until the ballot ends to work on ballot characters. All this would mean is that the characters that were decided upon before the poll started are done. Any characters being worked on now would be characters that have been influenced by the poll.

In my opinion, we will likely see ballot character release while the ballot is still running as well as after the ballot completes. Also, he never said he added Roy and Lucas due to fan demand. He just said he had a good grasp on their popularity.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
They don't have t wait until the ballot ends to work on ballot characters. All this would mean is that the characters that were decided upon before the poll started are done. Any characters being worked on now would be characters that have been influenced by the poll.

In my opinion, we will likely see ballot character release while the ballot is still running as well as after the ballot completes. Also, he never said he added Roy and Lucas due to fan demand. He just said he had a good grasp on their popularity.
I think starting tomorrow we need to start keeping track of how many votes Wolf gets, all we need to do is keep track of how many times we vote for Wolf, then tally it up at the end of the day. So write down how many votes you give to Wolf, also if you give Wolf any more votes after you've already posted them here, just post again, there's no limit to how many times you can vote.

:wolf:VOTE COUNTER: Will start keeping track tomorrow
Lets get voting.

Last edited:

shane3x

Saint of Swords
As far as we can tell so far, 2 more characters pre-ballot and 3 after it. Besides the translation from what we can tell is not "fan service", that is just the western context we've applied. Directly translated as someone mentione before it just says "service" and remember we don't have the same context as they do for words.

Remember the Iwata tweet? A fan translated it, that spread but it wasn't the correct translation and the translation had no context to what was said.

Based on current DLC content it takes 2 months to make a new character, thats plenty of time for wolf to be created especially given all the other factors (See sig).

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
As far as we can tell so far, 2 more characters pre-ballot and 3 after it. Besides the translation from what we can tell is not "fan service", that is just the western context we've applied. Directly translated as someone mentione before it just says "service" and remember we don't have the same context as they do for words.

Remember the Iwata tweet? A fan translated it, that spread but it wasn't the correct translation and the translation had no context to what was said.

Based on current DLC content it takes 2 months to make a new character, thats plenty of time for wolf to be created especially given all the other factors (See sig).
Yeah and Wolf is HIGHLY requested. Unlike Ridley and Ice Climbers, Sakurai doesn't have a good enough reason to keep Wolf out. Keep voting now, contact Shofu and have him pump out some Wolf DLC propaganda videos! Also another strawpoll,Here's the Starwpoll

Last edited:

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
Yeah and Wolf is HIGHLY requested. Unlike Ridley and Ice Climbers, Sakurai doesn't have a good enough reason to keep Wolf out. Keep voting now, contact Shofu and have him pump out some Wolf DLC propaganda videos! Also another strawpoll,Here's the Starwpoll
As of writing, the "Starwpoll" (Starwolfpoll?) is leaded by Snake :/

While we can't be sure about that "service" thing, one thing is confirmed: "リュカ、ロイ、リュウの三人は、投票拳が作られる前から制作しています。" Only(?) these 3 of them are planned before the ballot even happens. Ironically, he said "人気、要望のほどは把握していましたけれども。" (We had a grasp of the popularity and demand, however.) while skipping those who had tons higher demand before ballot (Ice Climber, Snake, Wolf) and proceed to release a character the majority didn't ask for (Ryu).

There are no more characters considered before ballot, but no one has ever said there are no more characters right after the ballot started, or planned to be released before ballot. Just saying, but this is not absolute either.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I wouldn't exactly call his reasons for keeping out Ridley and the Ice Climbers to be good ones. For the ICs, I don't know if people would be okay with them changing to get them working on the 3DS, but with DLC, they have time to figure something out, and the reasons for not including Ridley don't make sense when you look at the rest of the roster.

Logo12

Smash Lord
Somewhere without a Smash community. Send hlep
I wouldn't exactly call his reasons for keeping out Ridley and the Ice Climbers to be good ones. For the ICs, I don't know if people would be okay with them changing to get them working on the 3DS, but with DLC, they have time to figure something out, and the reasons for not including Ridley don't make sense when you look at the rest of the roster.
^this. Tho I feel more worried that instead of stating problems for Wolf if any, he NEVER mentioned Wolf at all.

Also, for the Starwolfpoll, what's an Ivysaue?

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Also, for the Starwolfpoll, what's an Ivysaue?
That's Ivysaur, a Brawl veteran.

As of right now, if Wolf is being worked on, I'm pretty sure he's getting new voice clips recorded which can take up some time I think. August does seem likely as a release date for Wolf DLC but if he isn't in the game by then, we pretty much have to continue to let ourselves be heard.

Also, what about CEO? Doesn't that begin today?

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Ok how many times do i have to tell you guys

The 5 marios under mewtwo

3 of them are the ones released 2 weeks ago

2 more pre-planned

shane3x

Saint of Swords

While we can't be sure about that "service" thing, one thing is confirmed: "リュカ、ロイ、リュウの三人は、投票拳が作られる前から制作しています。" Only(?) these 3 of them are planned before the ballot even happens. Ironically, he said "人気、要望のほどは把握していましたけれども。" (We had a grasp of the popularity and demand, however.) while skipping those who had tons higher demand before ballot (Ice Climber, Snake, Wolf) and proceed to release a character the majority didn't ask for (Ryu).

There are no more characters considered before ballot, but no one has ever said there are no more characters right after the ballot started, or planned to be released before ballot. Just saying, but this is not absolute either.
In the translated thing that source whoever people did they have a (2) and then a (3). That needs clarifying, is that 2 are "service" leaving one space for someone else or 2 pre-ballot and 3 after?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
That's Ivysaur, a Brawl veteran.

As of right now, if Wolf is being worked on, I'm pretty sure he's getting new voice clips recorded which can take up some time I think. August does seem likely as a release date for Wolf DLC but if he isn't in the game by then, we pretty much have to continue to let ourselves be heard.

Also, what about CEO? Doesn't that begin today?
I believe so, though there may not be a reveal during the whole event.

Forty4

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThePriceIsWrong

2 more pre-planned
Along with this, I assume two characters will be released in August, and then some more boxes will be released or whatever for the ballot characters. But I'm just spitballing here.

PurpleSoda

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KingQuagsire101
Along with this, I assume two characters will be released in August, and then some more boxes will be released or whatever for the ballot characters. But I'm just spitballing here.
I believe that one spot is another chraracter(possibly Wolf),and then the ballot character

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere

Now I'm confused, did he say actually say there are no more pre ballot characters?
Those are footnotes, aren't they? :S
Yes the numbers are footnotes, yeah I also reread the article,

"There is a fighter ballot on the official Smash for Wii U/3DS website. We’ve received an extremely large number of votes, but of course, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu were in developed even before the ballot was created. I had a grasp on their popularity and demand, though.

From now until the end, it is going to be fan service , but I can’t keep the development team together forever, so there’s only going to be several more characters . I also ask for your patience, as we need time to develop more content."
HE never said ballot characters only, and he acknowledged the popularity of Lucas and Roy, Ryu popularity pre leak= bs.
I think we all jumped to a big conclusion, this doesn't confirm anything except that Sakurai's gonna be trying to please the fans till the end, never said no more pre ballot characters. I think he was acknowledging that he understood the popularity of Lucas and Roy before the ballot, but just to be safe I'll just keep voting Wolf till he's confirmed, but I think Etika jumped the gun a bit prematurely, as usual:glare:.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750

2 more pre-planned
I helped translate the article....and I helped inform everyone of those 5 slots. I think I have pretty good understanding of what I'm talking about. :p

Find me evidence that those two characters are pre-planned. And not just because they were, "thrown in with other pre-planned characters". That's just your opinion, man. And my opinion is that they are reserved slots for ballot characters. Right now we have Sakurai explicitly saying that characters that will be developed from now on aren't pre-ballot characters. He wouldn't have made such a big deal about Ryu, Lucas and Roy being pre-planned and then saying "FROM NOW UNTIL THE END" if it was going to be more pre-ballot characters.

I'm sorry for what you guys think that means for Wolf. I actually want Wolf back, I'm not anti-Wolf. I'm merely reporting the facts, as they have been presented to me. Personally, I think he still has some chance of coming back through fan-demand. But we need to come to terms with the reality of the situation: Smash DLC isn't going to be made forever. Not all characters are coming back.

I was just writing an article to address some of the questions that have come up.

Relevant part quoted below:
have recently wrote an article titled, “The End of Smash DLC”. In it, I take a very pessimistic view on Smash’s DLC development. Essentially, I stated the chances of Smash’s DLC ending soon is very real. I personally believe that two additional characters would be made, influenced by the ballot. As of right now, I have not fully abandoned that mindset. This is because in the latest translation, Sakurai states the following:

There is a fighter ballot on the official Smash for Wii U/3DS website. We’ve received an extremely large number of votes, but of course, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu were in developed even before the ballot was created. I had a grasp on their popularity and demand, though.

From now until the end, it is going to be fan service , but I can’t keep the development team together forever, so there’s only going to be several more characters. I also ask for your patience, as we need time to develop more content.

There may be unforeseen circumstances that arise as well, but I’ll try my best!

The statement, “From now until the end” indicates that the characters we receive in the future will be directly influenced by the Fighter Ballot. This is because Sakurai went out of his way to explain that Lucas, Roy and Ryu were developed before the ballot was created. After mentioning that fact, Sakurai then states it’s going to be different from now on. I feel like I’m going over basic English grammar, but I’ve seen a lot of people in denial over this particular statement. The pre-ballot is 100% over, sorry. We had three people check the translation, one of us is a professional translator. Again, if you would like to check our translation we will provide it.

Another nugget of misinformation that I’ve seen is a lack of understanding of Sakurai’s working conditions. Sakurai is a freelance employee (See “I’m Quitting Hal Laboratory” for additional information), meaning he does not belong to a particular studio. Instead, he is bounded by his contract. In this case, he isborrowing staff from Bandai-Namco and from Nintendo in order to complete this project. Sakurai does not have unlimited time to create DLC, and contract issues–such as losing additional staff, or the studio ending development (my personal interpretation of “unforeseen circumstances”) may cause DLC production to halt earlier than some people are expecting. Again, we already know that the development time has shrunk.

The only thing that has changed after reading this column, is that I now believe that it’s possible we may get more than two characters. However, if I was a betting man, I wouldn’t bet over five. As Ryu, Roy and Lucas were in development from before April 1st, but we don’t know for how long exactly. They could have been in development since the game was officially released with most of the initial efforts going to building Mewtwo and the distribution system. The lack of new stages shows us that Sakurai is indeed trying to include as many characters as possible, but how many he will be able to include is still debatable.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I helped translate the article....and I helped inform everyone of those 5 slots. I think I have pretty good understanding of what I'm talking about. :p

Find me evidence that those two characters are pre-planned. And not just because they were, "thrown in with other pre-planned characters". That's just your opinion, man. And my opinion is that they are reserved slots for ballot characters. Right now we have Sakurai explicitly saying that characters that will be developed from now on aren't pre-ballot characters. He wouldn't have made such a big deal about Ryu, Lucas and Roy being pre-planned and then saying "FROM NOW UNTIL THE END" if it was going to be more pre-ballot characters.

I'm sorry for what you guys think that means for Wolf. I actually want Wolf back, I'm not anti-Wolf. I'm merely reporting the facts, as they have been presented to me. Personally, I think he still has some chance of coming back through fan-demand. But we need to come to terms with the reality of the situation: Smash DLC isn't going to be made forever. Not all characters are coming back.

I was just writing an article to address some of the questions that have come up.

Relevant part quoted below:
have recently wrote an article titled, “The End of Smash DLC”. In it, I take a very pessimistic view on Smash’s DLC development. Essentially, I stated the chances of Smash’s DLC ending soon is very real. I personally believe that two additional characters would be made, influenced by the ballot. As of right now, I have not fully abandoned that mindset. This is because in the latest translation, Sakurai states the following:

There is a fighter ballot on the official Smash for Wii U/3DS website. We’ve received an extremely large number of votes, but of course, Lucas, Roy, and Ryu were in developed even before the ballot was created. I had a grasp on their popularity and demand, though.

From now until the end, it is going to be fan service , but I can’t keep the development team together forever, so there’s only going to be several more characters. I also ask for your patience, as we need time to develop more content.

There may be unforeseen circumstances that arise as well, but I’ll try my best!

The statement, “From now until the end” indicates that the characters we receive in the future will be directly influenced by the Fighter Ballot. This is because Sakurai went out of his way to explain that Lucas, Roy and Ryu were developed before the ballot was created. After mentioning that fact, Sakurai then states it’s going to be different from now on. I feel like I’m going over basic English grammar, but I’ve seen a lot of people in denial over this particular statement. The pre-ballot is 100% over, sorry. We had three people check the translation, one of us is a professional translator. Again, if you would like to check our translation we will provide it.

Another nugget of misinformation that I’ve seen is a lack of understanding of Sakurai’s working conditions. Sakurai is a freelance employee (See “I’m Quitting Hal Laboratory” for additional information), meaning he does not belong to a particular studio. Instead, he is bounded by his contract. In this case, he isborrowing staff from Bandai-Namco and from Nintendo in order to complete this project. Sakurai does not have unlimited time to create DLC, and contract issues–such as losing additional staff, or the studio ending development (my personal interpretation of “unforeseen circumstances”) may cause DLC production to halt earlier than some people are expecting. Again, we already know that the development time has shrunk.

The only thing that has changed after reading this column, is that I now believe that it’s possible we may get more than two characters. However, if I was a betting man, I wouldn’t bet over five. As Ryu, Roy and Lucas were in development from before April 1st, but we don’t know for how long exactly. They could have been in development since the game was officially released with most of the initial efforts going to building Mewtwo and the distribution system. The lack of new stages shows us that Sakurai is indeed trying to include as many characters as possible, but how many he will be able to include is still debatable.
How does from now until the end= no more pre ballot?
What if it means from this moment until the end of Smash DLC? Does Sakurai directly say No more pre ballot characters or not? Also :4lucas:was originally revealed before the ballot. If there are no more pre ballots then Sakurai's an idiot for having no characters to have us look forward to for 3 months. Any character revealed before October 3rd is pre ballot.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
How does from now until the end= no more pre ballot?
What if it means from this moment until the end of Smash DLC? Does Sakurai directly say No more pre ballot characters or not? Also :4lucas:was originally revealed before the ballot. If there are no more pre ballots then Sakurai's an idiot for having no characters to have us look forward to for 3 months. Any character revealed before October 3rd is pre ballot.
"From now" indicates a change. He's talked about pre-ballot characters before. But now it's different. I don't know how to make it anymore literal for you.

Lucas was revealed WITH the ballot. Check your timeline.

Who said anything about waiting for voting to finish? I'm sure they have a lot of votes, and they will use the ones they have to decide what character is going to be made. It's also not a pure popularity contest. A lot more goes into deciding what characters are made besides being highly requested. If highly requested was all it took to get in, we would have Ridley.

Sakurai's not an idiot. He knows how much hype characters have. And that's why he's only been working on characters. But he's also a freelance employee. He's not employed directly under Namco, or Nintendo. He has a contract. Contract ends. DLC ends. Game development finishes. It can't go on forever, like some people are suggesting.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
"From now" indicates a change. He's talked about pre-ballot characters before. But now it's different. I don't know how to make it anymore literal for you.

Who said anything about waiting for voting to finish? I'm sure they have a lot of votes, and they will use the ones they have to decide what character is going to be made. It's also not a pure popularity contest. A lot more goes into deciding what characters are made besides being highly requested. If highly requested was all it took to get in, we would have Ridley.

Sakurai's not an idiot. He knows how much hype characters have. And that's why he's only been working on characters. But he's also a freelance employee. He's not employed directly under Namco, or Nintendo. He has a contract. Contract ends. DLC ends. Game development finishes. It can't go on forever, like some people are suggesting.
But if a character is revealed before the ballot ends, that makes them pre ballot, unless Sakurai says this is a character that was decided because of the ballot. In which case reveal 2 "ballot characters" for release in August, then go for the rest later. Though what would be a character who was being worked on after the ballot's announcement, but long before the end date? Maybe there's characters like that in development.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
But if a character is revealed before the ballot ends, that makes them pre ballot, unless Sakurai says this is a character that was decided because of the ballot. In which case reveal 2 "ballot characters" for release in August, then go for the rest later.
Link me to where Sakurai has stated explicitly stated that any character decided or worked on before October 31st, is a pre-ballot character. They never said they were going to wait until the deadline. This is something that is pure fan speculation. Also, we don't know how many characters we are going to get. Personally, I'm going with the pessimistic view considering Sakurai's working conditions (lack of own studio), the reality of the situation (DLC can't be made forever), and system limitations (the 3DS can't handle a lot DLC), Also, the Wii U doesn't have a next page button. They would have to do some serious recoding. For me, there are waaaay to many factors against the idea that we are going to get more than five characters.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Link me to where Sakurai has stated explicitly stated that any character decided or worked on before October 31st, is a pre-ballot character. They never said they were going to wait until the deadline. This is something that is pure fan speculation. Also, we don't know how many characters we are going to get. Personally, I'm going with the pessimistic view considering Sakurai's working conditions (lack of own studio), the reality of the situation (DLC can't be made forever), and system limitations (the 3DS can't handle a lot DLC), Also, the Wii U doesn't have a next page button. They would have to do some serious recoding. For me, there are waaaay to many factors against the idea that we are going to get more than five characters.
As in, five characters after Lucas, Roy and Ryu? Just checking.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Though what would be a character who was being worked on after the ballot's announcement, but long before the end date? Maybe there's characters like that in development. ex. Development on a new character or two starts in May.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
As in, five characters after Lucas, Roy and Ryu? Just checking.
Personally, I see more than five impossible (after Lucas, Roy, and Ryu). I see 2 the most likely outcome.

2 characters - 60%
3 characters - 50%
4 characters - 30%

As I mentioned in my "End of Smash DLC" article, I hope I'm wrong. I'd love to have more DLC and for fans to be satisfied. I just think it's unlikely as people are expecting way too much.

Though what would be a character who was being worked on after the ballot's announcement, but long before the end date? Maybe there's characters like that in development. ex. Development on a new character or two starts in May.
Simple: characters whose inclusion was influenced by the ballot.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/...s-3ds-files-more-stage-slots-also-discovered/

What more do you need?

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Personally, I see more than five impossible (after Lucas, Roy, and Ryu). I see 2 the most likely outcome.
So in other words, you think there could be at least five after Lucas, Roy and Ryu, unless I am reading that wrong?

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
So in other words, you think there could be at least five after Lucas, Roy and Ryu, unless I am reading that wrong?

Simple: characters whose inclusion was influenced by the ballot.
I'm done trying to help you guys with basic reading comprehension. I'm going to have an aneurysm.

OK someone just make a Wolf death stare video while we try and make sense here.:crazy:
I don't think it's 100% hopeless for Wolf. I just think that if Wolf gets in it will because the ballot showed his fan demand. So go vote.

Anyhow, with that: I'm done for tonight. It's 1 AM, I need sleep. I'm done trying to convince you guys.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
WHY DID YOU NOT USE THIS!

I'm ashamed of you.
Very funny, POKEMAN! I guess I could have used this, but hey; what can you do?

BTW, about Sakurai saying the "from now on, it is fan service" thing, well, Sakurai has been known for trolling with the fans, like when he said that Mewtwo was the only DLC being made back then and that there were no plans for other DLC, only for that to change with Lucas being revealed and the Smash ballot announced, among other things. Do you think it is possible that he could be trolling us with the "from now on, it's fan service" thing and that there could actually be one or two more preplanned characters left?

Top Bottom