• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Canceling Bowsers Up B Special Landing Lag.

Jinchuuriki88

Smash Cadet
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=ZeGKhFgCTrw

Ok. So we all know that all characters recieve a lag, or delay, from recovering from their up B specials when they touch the ground. Right? Apparently, Bowser disagrees.

So what exactly is happening in the video? Allow me to explain: Bowser uses his up B special outside the stage to get back in, right? And when he does land safely on the stage, the landing recovery usually takes effect, which is normal for all characters.

However, in this video, apparently that landing recovery lag can get replaced with all his moves. You heared me right. I tested on all his moves and I can confirm the following can remove the landing lag: walking/running - jab1 - tilts - B specials - smashes - shield - grab - EVEN TAUNTS.

How is this performed? Simple, but it requires precise timing. When you use his up B, simply press anything right at the moment Bowsers belly touchs the ground. Either that or an inch away from the ground. Its really hard to figure out. The timing is a bit difficult to do at first, so expect alot of tries.

Also keep in mind that Im not wearing any customized equipment, these Bowsers are all default.

I think this glitch (Or so I think its a glitch...), when mastered, can make Bowser even more scary to deal with.

I can confirm that this glitch works on the 3DS version of Smash 4. I wonder if it will stay on the Wii U version. Not much time left for 21/11!

Discovery reserved. Credits to Jinchuuriki88 (Jin).

Last edited:

Ranias

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ranias
3DS FC
1864-9368-1757
This is so difficult. I haven't been able to pull it off yet.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
can't get it even in 1/4x speed.

do you have to start it offstage? it seems like ever time you got it, you started it while even with the ground.

Jinchuuriki88

Smash Cadet
can't get it even in 1/4x speed.

do you have to start it offstage? it seems like ever time you got it, you started it while even with the ground.
I tried it in slowmotion, but it only made me crazy @.@.

I got used to the timing from going off stage and going back in. It can be done with a normal jump also.

Hitman JT

The Infinite One
NNID
JT.Hitman
3DS FC
1435-5432-6684
I literally just did this today, then spent time in training mode seeing if I could replicate it. Pulled it off 3x in a row, haven't gotten it since. Then I think to go on smashboards and see if there's a topic on this already...and lo and behold, late to the party again :sadeyes:

But for the life of me I couldn't figure out if it was just timing when the fortress lands like DK's auto-cancelling up B, or if it was a frame-perfect input ala just-frames in Tekken or something. So thanks for the explanation and the vid, but F you for beating me to the punch by mere hours :mad:

Edit: I've only been able to cancel it after mashing B a few times to increase the height, then trying. Don't know if that has anything to do with it, but yeah

Last edited:

CourageHound

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4441-9748-5261
This was something you could do in brawl, but was incredibly easy by comparison. It had to do with hight rather than precise inputs. I've cancelled Up B lag previously in this game as well(although not consistently) using a similar method by experimenting with different hights to execute UB. Though it's really hard i've yet to find a consistent method of doing so.

Jinchuuriki88

Smash Cadet
I literally just did this today, then spent time in training mode seeing if I could replicate it. Pulled it off 3x in a row, haven't gotten it since. Then I think to go on smashboards and see if there's a topic on this already...and lo and behold, late to the party again :sadeyes:

But for the life of me I couldn't figure out if it was just timing when the fortress lands like DK's auto-cancelling up B, or if it was a frame-perfect input ala just-frames in Tekken or something. So thanks for the explanation and the vid, but F you for beating me to the punch by mere hours :mad:

Edit: I've only been able to cancel it after mashing B a few times to increase the height, then trying. Don't know if that has anything to do with it, but yeah
Haha, sorry my friend, better luck next time. XD

Jinchuuriki88

Smash Cadet
This was something you could do in brawl, but was incredibly easy by comparison. It had to do with hight rather than precise inputs. I've cancelled Up B lag previously in this game as well(although not consistently) using a similar method by experimenting with different hights to execute UB. Though it's really hard i've yet to find a consistent method of doing so.
Hmmm. Hights huh? Thats a nice theory. I ll give a shot in the lab today.

Also here's a scary though. Imagin if all characters have this glitch... Unlikely, but who knows.

Last edited:

Netherfall

Smash Cadet
NNID
bambamboombop
3DS FC
1822-1445-5706
You weren't kidding when you said its precise timing. Been trying for almost an hour and only managed to get it twice. Are you able to get consistently with just one input or do you need to mash to get it now?

Jinchuuriki88

Smash Cadet
You weren't kidding when you said its precise timing. Been trying for almost an hour and only managed to get it twice. Are you able to get consistently with just one input or do you need to mash to get it now?
I am able to do it consistently without mashing. I dont trust mashing to matters which need timing. Its something I learned from fast paced fighting games.

My guess is if someone mashed hard enough, I think they may be able to pull it off. But I wonder if a small device such as a 3DS will be able to handle all that mashing... Just sayin >_>

Last edited:

Anragon

Smash Apprentice
I did the glitch too today but completely randomly. I was doing my daily computers boxing training when i suddenly canceled my aerial up-b landing lag. I was like WTFFF ??!11!!

Then i saw your thread and went into training mode. I managed to do it ten times within 30 minutes. It reaaaally is something you do by feeling the right moment.

I find it easier to do if you let your stick go back in neutral position after the up-b then cancel it with an directionnal input (go left or right).

EarthenPillar

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4399-1441-9789
Okay so I've tried this out, gotten some success and while I can't do it consistently just yet, I thought I'd lend what I've managed to figure out so you guys can work on this.

Let's take what we know about the up-B animation.
There's two states:
a. The whole 'in air' Whirling Fortress animation
b. Post-Whirling Fortress Animation, Bowser's model blinking
c. Having Landed Animation, the animation we want to skip

As I was experimenting to find the timing I noticed how from Jinchuuriki88's video there was this exact height to when he would begin his up-B. So I emulated that which he did and managed to find the frame in between 'a' and 'b' where cancel happens.

Cancelleable frame below:

You'll need bowser to also be about landing close to the ground with this animation frame for the move cancel to happen. I've only tested this with a few moves and will experiment later when I have time.

**I've also tested it with Bowser's up-B's (mashed B). As those of you who know, mashing B during up-B's air Whirling Fortress animation adds force to Whirling Fortress. It seems that as long as Bowser is in the linked animation frame upon landing, before the Having Landed Animation begins, you can cancel Bowser into some other move like side-B or Ftilt.

**You can emulate this by having Bowser do Whirling Fortress after dropping from a teeter. If you want to cancel after a Mashed B Whirling Fortress, just start up-B, lower.

Last edited:

EarthenPillar

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4399-1441-9789
Alright so quick update on my laptop because I've managed to get this far.

Good News! I've confirmed, it works.
If,
landing on the ground &,
'in air' Whirling Fortress animation is done,
before ever going to Post-Whirling Fortress's Blinking Animation,
= Bowser goes to his Neutral standing state.
...Meaning, you can essentially do WHATEVER.

Bad News? Limited uses.
Even,
if you could do it with godlike consistency,
you would need to begin Whirling Fortress at about just below ground/platform Height,
even lower if you were Mashing B.
Also, Bowser is not invunerable during Whirling Fortress.

**It doesn't matter if you had hit the opponent with Whirling Fortress or not.
**This could mean that one could continue attacking the opponent after Whirling Fortress cancels out.

Perhaps I'll go around making a video on this later. Right now I hope you guys can play with what's already found.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Awesome. I had done this while playing the SDCC demo and am glad to hear it's still in.

Anragon

Smash Apprentice
Okay so I've tried this out, gotten some success and while I can't do it consistently just yet, I thought I'd lend what I've managed to figure out so you guys can work on this.

Let's take what we know about the up-B animation.
There's two states:
a. The whole 'in air' Whirling Fortress animation
b. Post-Whirling Fortress Animation, Bowser's model blinking
c. Having Landed Animation, the animation we want to skip

As I was experimenting to find the timing I noticed how from Jinchuuriki88's video there was this exact height to when he would begin his up-B. So I emulated that which he did and managed to find the frame in between 'a' and 'b' where cancel happens.

Cancelleable frame below:

You'll need bowser to also be about landing close to the ground with this animation frame for the move cancel to happen. I've only tested this with a few moves and will experiment later when I have time.

**I've also tested it with Bowser's up-B's (mashed B). As those of you who know, mashing B during up-B's air Whirling Fortress animation adds force to Whirling Fortress. It seems that as long as Bowser is in the linked animation frame upon landing, before the Having Landed Animation begins, you can cancel Bowser into some other move like side-B or Ftilt.

**You can emulate this by having Bowser do Whirling Fortress after dropping from a teeter. If you want to cancel after a Mashed B Whirling Fortress, just start up-B, lower.
Somebody gives to this guy a medal or a nobel prize idk

B!squick

Smash Master
Neat. And I don't want to be THAT guy, but does this have any practical use? Off stage you can just go for the ledge every time and on stage... yeah. If it was easier to do it might be useful as a one time bait.

Anragon

Smash Apprentice
Neat. And I don't want to be THAT guy, but does this have any practical use? Off stage you can just go for the ledge every time and on stage... yeah. If it was easier to do it might be useful as a one time bait.
Actually I agree with you for the usefulness. Still a flashy trick tho.

Volimutt

Smash Cadet
NNID
CapnDonutBear
3DS FC
3840-8943-0914
If mastered, it could become one of Bowser's safest options to getting back on the stage, if you use your free move to shield, roll or follow with a second Whirling Fortress. Hell, even throw out a quick f-tilt for your opponents to run into cuz they'll expecting your recovery lag. I've been hard at work in the lab with this and managed to do it 7 times consecutively so far. I find it helpful to keep of track what altitude Bowser's shadow will appear. To my knowledge if I execute the command right before Bowser's shadow appear that often results in success. I combined this with EarthenPillar's information and it works wonders.

EarthenPillar

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4399-1441-9789
I could use somebody to help me open a game up so I can get a replay of what has been found. I'll then record it to my camera and put it up. As I finally found few good practical uses for this. Anyone up for it?

MrEh

Smash Hero
If all this requires is a tight timing, it could be viable.

IF THE WINDOW OF OPPORTUNITIES VARIES DEPENDING ON HEIGHT, then this could get useless very fast.

B!squick

Smash Master
If mastered, it could become one of Bowser's safest options to getting back on the stage, if you use your free move to shield, roll or follow with a second Whirling Fortress. Hell, even throw out a quick f-tilt for your opponents to run into cuz they'll expecting your recovery lag. I've been hard at work in the lab with this and managed to do it 7 times consecutively so far. I find it helpful to keep of track what altitude Bowser's shadow will appear. To my knowledge if I execute the command right before Bowser's shadow appear that often results in success. I combined this with EarthenPillar's information and it works wonders.
Couldn't someone just beat out the Fortress though? Off the top of my head I imagine anyone with a sword could, easily. Maybe pivot grab. Various projectiles. I mean, this is just begging to be punished with a Samus charge shot, lol. Maybe it's easier to pull off and thus more viable with a GC controller, but I don't see this as being a safe way to get on stage. You can shield safely when getting up from the ledge now even. Because very few moves can push you off now.

Jinchuuriki88

Smash Cadet
Some people say this glitch exists in Brawl. Did they give it a name?

If not, we can all come up with good names. Im open for suggestions. Bowser minions, lets all work together, for the sake of our king!

Rs71

Smash Rookie
NNID
RS_710
Some people say this glitch exists in Brawl. Did they give it a name?

If not, we can all come up with good names. Im open for suggestions. Bowser minions, lets all work together, for the sake of our king!
maybe the 'Bowser Bounce Back', the Triple B ?

Last edited:

EarthenPillar

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4399-1441-9789
You're right, anonymous forum poster #13285.

Yours truly,
anonymous forum poster #22839
You know,
I believe he's actually #127819,
and that you're #134502.

Because that's f***ing boring
We need something fancy
Like Sunrise Surprise
Or Koopa Kancel
Or Freeframe Fortress
S*** I don't know
Also I'm really digging Sunrise Surprise and Freeframe Fortress.
Freeframe Fortress
probably the most appropriate here.

I'm asking coz I wanna know what to name the video.
Also after some serious playing with this, I believe Bowser suddenly benefits from stages like Yoshi's Island and Battlefield if those are allowed in your meta.

Last edited:

Jinchuuriki88

Smash Cadet
Im liking Sunrise Surprise. Its like when Bowser does his up B, it almost feels like Bowser tucks in his shell, sleeping, and when morning comes (lands on the ground), he does a surprise wake up. Thats a neat idea XD.

Koopa Kancel is simple yet explains alot, I like that too!

0mart

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mr.0mart
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=ZeGKhFgCTrw

Ok. So we all know that all characters recieve a lag, or delay, from recovering from their up B specials when they touch the ground. Right? Apparently, Bowser disagrees.

So what exactly is happening in the video? Allow me to explain: Bowser uses his up B special outside the stage to get back in, right? And when he does land safely on the stage, the landing recovery usually takes effect, which is normal for all characters.

However, in this video, apparently that landing recovery lag can get replaced with all his moves. You heared me right. I tested on all his moves and I can confirm the following can remove the landing lag: walking/running - jab1 - tilts - B specials - smashes - shield - grab - EVEN TAUNTS.

How is this performed? Simple, but it requires precise timing. When you use his up B, simply press anything right at the moment Bowsers belly touchs the ground. Either that or an inch away from the ground. Its really hard to figure out. The timing is a bit difficult to do at first, so expect alot of tries.

Also keep in mind that Im not wearing any customized equipment, these Bowsers are all default.

I think this glitch (Or so I think its a glitch...), when mastered, can make Bowser even more scary to deal with.

I can confirm that this glitch works on the 3DS version of Smash 4. I wonder if it will stay on the Wii U version. Not much time left for 21/11!

Discovery reserved. Credits to Jinchuuriki88 (Jin).
In that video, did you mashed up B? it´s because I can´t do that consistenly but I can at least try do in it like in the video... just want to know if you mashed or not .... and other thing is that you can do that onstage, I want to test if you could mash precisely so you can land with the animation frame that was shared by earthenpilar. That could be a new type of % follow up on teams as this can deal from 25-35%.... imagine MK´s Dthrow to Air--upB and then land lagless ._.´´

Jinchuuriki88

Smash Cadet
In that video, did you mashed up B? it´s because I can´t do that consistenly but I can at least try do in it like in the video... just want to know if you mashed or not .... and other thing is that you can do that onstage, I want to test if you could mash precisely so you can land with the animation frame that was shared by earthenpilar. That could be a new type of % follow up on teams as this can deal from 25-35%.... imagine MK´s Dthrow to Air--upB and then land lagless ._.´´
No its just a regular up B with no mashing. And yes u can do that onstage, but I didnt do.that in the footages cause I got used to the cancel timing by going offstage then back in. In the end, it can be done from any height, and whether u mashed up B or not.

Top Bottom