• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can you guys critique my puff?

XANA

Smash Rookie
I started playing the game ~3 weeks ago (after wanting for since around november), and I only started playing jigglypuff this weekend. I went through all the hbox videos I could find to learn how to play puff, but I still feel way different to him.

Here are some videos of me playing a Marth on netplay. Can you guys help me by telling me what I'm doing wrong, and what I need to keep doing in order to be good? It's broken into 3 segments (sorry).

Here's me playing a few naturally

Starting to feel out jiggz

Starting to feel out my opponent

I feel like it's really hard to edgeguard him, and I'm not really sure how to follow up on killing him. It's a lot easier against spacies. TT~TT"

Puff_Revin

Smash Rookie
I have only recently joined smashboards but I've been playing for jiggs for almost a year.

So I only watched the third match, and from what I can tell it seems like you're a very aggressive jiggs. Which is really good but definitely harder to be good at. Downside to it is you seem to be very eager to land those rests, you know the how to hit a rest but most situations when you used them weren't ideal. Generally don't want to throw them out when they have control of their movement or able to shield, I have lost tournament matches from rest being shielded. But I feel like you know that by now and you just use rest because you want to dumpster your friend, I play the same around my friends. More bairs, especially against a Marth. Stay in the air and throw out aerials and be constantly moving but in the air. Lastly I can say, edge guard. Jiggs edge guard game is not like any of the other characters, which is the way you're playing it. Jiggs doesn't need to stand and wait at the edge to edge guard, she can reach all the way out off the edge even near the blast zone and make it back. Don't be afraid to jump of the edge and throw a fair or bair, you can easily make it back with your 5 jumps and rising pound. Against a Marth one aerial off stage is easily a stock. Especially against the Marth in the video, he recklessly uses side b off stage to try and spike you, when you grab the edge just drop down and nair and that's his stock. Try and avoid player against cpus, it really isn't good for a jiggs as it may be ok from some other characters.

Massive

Smash Champion
First of all, you're playing on netplay, so there's going to be a lot of delay silliness, but that being ignored:
  • You appear to be stuck in the "one jump, one aerial" mentality a lot of newer puff players get. You can keep attacking without landing, you have a LOT of jumps.
  • You need to chase off the stage. There is no reason to stay grounded at all with puff since her recovery is so good. The entire map is your stage, puff is at her best in the air.
  • You need to ledgehog more. There were many instances where you could've killed marth by just taking the ledge and staying there.
  • Following that, if you're on the ledge and marth up-b's onto the stage, you can grab him and toss him back off or even rest him if he's close enough.
  • If you see a marth wiff a parry, rest him.
  • Work on your DI a bit, always aim for the top corners with puff (survival DI), since she can recover from anywhere easily.
  • You mostly seem to want to throw out bairs on the stage (you fair once or twice when you're getting back on, but that's it). Fair is a fantastic move since it stays out for so long, and probably better than nair at the level you're playing at.
There's more to say, but i think a lot of it will be remedied with more practice (preferably in person, with a person).

Last edited:

XANA

Smash Rookie
Huh, I'll do my best to work on going offstage and doing more than one jump/aerial.

K-9

Smash Rookie
I have a few things to say.
First: its a common misconception that you always need to throw out a move when you hit the ground. Unfortunately for jiggs, one of her biggest weaknesses is that her moves, even when L-cancelled have punishable amount of lag when you hit the ground. So, even though this will sound obvious, only throw out moves right before you hit the ground when you are pretty sure they are going to hit, such as during a combo or when you believe they will approach.
Second: When you do hit with an aerial you almost always seem to retreat back to the ground either farther away from the player or directly below where you got the hit, and then you sit there for a second. Once you get the hit its important to follow up towards them with either another aerial as fast as you can or an empty hop to grab or uptilt once they start to shield your aerial onslaught.
Third: When edge guarding Marth specifically you need to go out there and bair when he is farther away from the stage or to catch his double jump and hang on to the ledge and renew your invincibility. To do that you simply let go of the ledge and then regrab it. Then the Marth player is forced to to up-b onto the stage which you can then get a guaranteed rest. See H-box vs. the moon or pewpewu to see how this works.

These things should help, I think a lot of your game just needs some practice and you'll be a Marth slayer soon.

Top Bottom