• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can/Will/Should Online Tournaments for 3DS/Wii U "Count"?

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
Okay, first, I'd like to put this out there: While a longtime on-again-off-again member of the community, I've never been particularly competitive, and would love to join in. However, there is the problem that where I live there isn't that much of a Smash community (only one place AFAIK, which I'm going to have to check out) and I'm not exactly financially able to travel around, especially because it's likely I'd get my ass kicked (It's not the entrance fees that kill you, it's the gas).

But, wait, with online play now around more, and the Wii U having tournaments, there could be the possibility that people like me could join tournaments and maybe, just maybe, make a name for ourselves (or, more likely, get our asses kicked by other, better players).

But the question is... will those tournaments "count", whether it be in rankings (like the ones here at smashboards) or Smash-public opinion? Now, I'm not saying that every damn online tournament should count, far from it. But if it's something done and run and/or sponsored by a respected part of the Smash community, why couldn't it count?

Far as I can tell, here are the pros and cons:

PROS:

More accessibility. Not everyone lives in an area with a big smash scene, and not everyone has the means to pay their way to certain areas. Still others might not want to travel simply because they are afraid they will get a round pounding and humiliation. With online, that disappears, everyone can go.

Larger Potential Talent Pool. With the abovementioned people more able to play, there are thus more people available, and thus a larger potential pool of talent to take from. There are no doubt some hidden gems out there that we have no idea about because they live in Hypotheticaltown, USA, miles from the nearest Smash hotbed.

A Better Look for the community. If online tournaments- especially ones run or vouched for by established parts of the Smash community- aren't included, then it might make the community look elitist and snobby, which is bad.

CONS:

Lag. It's unavoidable. No matter how good your internet connection is, or even what your opponent's internet connection is, lag happens. And while at times it can be worked around, other times it messes up gameplay and what happens in the game.

No standard set-ups. If one person is using a freaky third-party controller that has a turbo button or some other assistant, there's presumably no way of stopping them.

Unknown Things. We don't know much about how Nintendo's tournaments on the Wii U will work, so it's unknown how streaming will work, how stage selection will work, etc. etc.

...Thoughts?

many37

Smash Journeyman
NNID
many37
3DS FC
2423-4448-6030
Hmmm I'm on the same boat as you are. I am broke and I can't afford to travel around in search for competition (because of gas). Online tourneys definitely have potential and it accommodates those who can't afford to travel.

Like everything else in life, nothing is perfect. On one side, online tourneys are cost effective for both organizers and competitors alike. Organizers don't need to rent a place to have a tourney and competitors don't need to spend money on getting to the tourney. On the other side, however, regulating an online tourney is much more difficult since people can cheat by using turbo-enabled controllers for the Wii U (unless the organizer requires the competitors to record themselves with a webcam playing on a valid controller). Not to mention that lag is unavoidable and disruptive when inputting commands.

On site tourneys are also not perfect. They are generally more costly than online tourneys (unless you pull one off on your house or apartment, which is highly unlikely) and you need to set it up, supervise it with more diligence than an online tourney, and clean up any mess left in the place. However, organizers have more control over the environment and competitors have very few ways to make the matches unfair (unless there is a planned power out :S).

As to whether or not online tourneys can be or will be looked upon as respectable is up to the community to decide, which in itself is based on how the matches of online tourneys play out. Are the matches exciting or boring? fair or unfair? are the competitors skilled enough to attract a sizable audience? etc...

Last edited:

Misinko

Smash Cadet
I think hosting "official" online tournaments is a great idea. There's some downsides as you stated, but I don't think the ones featuring online capabilities should really be spelled out as we don't know how the Wii U version's online stacks up to the 3DS's, nor do we know how tournament online is going to be dealt with. But I do see the problem with 3rd-party controllers, and that might be a stumping block that we'll have to deal with. However, I think the pros far outweigh the cons.

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
One possibility I saw elsewhere is that maybe online tournaments could be weighted differently. Like, maybe they'd only count as half, or 75% or something of a "real" tournament.

Top Bottom