• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can someone teach me how to do this?

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if67i_Tj2Hc

So around the 15 second mark, Fox shines Peach and she does some crazy witchcraft DI to go super far, out of upsmash range. Does anyone have an idea of what the input would be?

I would ask the Peach boards, but y'all should know we have no idea what we are talking about most the time and just read each other with gifs.

Pengie

Smash Lord
Looks like a **** load of inputs of sdi away from fox. I wanna say that there's no way a human could realistically do that many sdi inputs during shine's hitlag so you could toss that video into the super theory bros pile.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
that's done frame perfect Doh. not humanly possible.

Acryte

Smash Ace
Yea but you can always C-stick the **** out of it and get some SDI away from it maybe.

D

Deleted member

one time i was watching a marth ditto on FD, and one marth dsmashed the other 39% before the hit, 52% after the hit, and the marth that was hit died off the top. to this day i have no idea what happened. i'm pretty sure that di was more witchcraft lol

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
She goes in the air; I don't think that can be achieved with just straight away DI.

And I've never seen anyone DI like that

ZeldaFreak0309

Smash Journeyman
I'd guess smash DI up, then down and away really fast, where the DI up and down is sort of giving the effect of shining peach when she's floating, which makes her go way further

Gea

Smash Master
She goes in the air; I don't think that can be achieved with just straight away DI.

And I've never seen anyone DI like that
That's because they are doing multiple SDI inputs (every "jerk" in the video shows one) to get it to work. You can get some distance by practicing some reactionary SDI but you'll never get that amount. Really you need to understand how SDI works to maximize your inputs. I'm sure someone can put it better than I can, but basically you need to move the stick so much from certain points for more SDI to register. So say you smash up right, then go back to the center then down right. That would be more effective than just smashing up right.

Honestly though it's probably more feasible to look at what moves are getting you hit into the shine in the first place and see about DIing those.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Rolling on the side is probably the best way. The difference between the locations on the right side is enough to count as multiple inputs, and you don't have to waste time going back the center. Even in TAS, if you go up-right -> right -> down-right -> right etc., it is better than right -> center -> right -> center etc. First way (rolling) gets 4 inputs to the right in 4 frames (even if they're not all "fully" right), and second way (mashing) gets 2 inputs to the right in 4 frames. (the up-right in the first method is probably why Peach went in the air btw)

That's what the 64 community has found to be the best way, anyways (and **** DI to be the best way to roll the stick on the side for a lot of people). Maybe there's something I'm overlooking, but I don't see why it would be any different in Melee. It's probably not as well known in Melee just because you guys focus less on Smash DI than we do. We have to pay attention to it and maximize it because that's the only kind of DI we've got.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
Quarter circle **** DI up right, right, down right looks like the closest you can get to that if you want to impose human limits (which are relevant since we are). Just would take some practice. Good looks on that **** DI tip/vid though. That's interesting

Writing that off is not smart at all imo. You don't need to SDI THAT far to get out of shine follow up stuff range.

Bones0

Smash Legend
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if67i_Tj2Hc

So around the 15 second mark, Fox shines Peach and she does some crazy witchcraft DI to go super far, out of upsmash range. Does anyone have an idea of what the input would be?

I would ask the Peach boards, but y'all should know we have no idea what we are talking about most the time and just read each other with gifs.
Good description reading skills, DoH. :rolleyes:

Third Clip - Fox shining Peach, smash DI away/up, about 1/10 speed
Fourth Clip - Fox shining Peach, Smash DI away/up away, 1/10 speed
The third clip is only a single SDI input, but the fourth clip has two inputs. You just need to time it during hitlag. To get two SDI inputs, smash the stick up and away, then roll the stick to away. This is what people are referring to when they talk about quarter-circle DI (although this is actually only 1/8th of a circle lol) When you change the direction your stick is in after SDIing, it registers another SDI.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Maybe I can't read either because as far as I can tell "Smash DI away/up" is two inputs too. I guess you're interpreting it as away+up, but I think it's away -> up, and clip 4 is away -> up+away. Mostly because if you look at the clip, my interpretation seems to match the clips better. So I'm guessing you want to go right -> up+right.

But either way... that's not even that hard then, input wise. Nice.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
We should really use the FGC's terminology for directions. Or clock times. Or something. This whole away/slight away/etc bull**** is really ambiguous

Gea

Smash Master
We should really use the FGC's terminology for directions. Or clock times. Or something. This whole away/slight away/etc bull**** is really ambiguous
That works for certain (most) things, but our movement is analog, not digital.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I've gotten DI really close to this before (enough to buffer roll away out of waveshine) using the SSB64 quarter circling method. Quarter circle spam both sticks from 45 degrees up to 45 degrees down. It's just impossible to do it consistently though because shine has so little hitstun.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I don't see how using a clock reference would help. You can tell someone to DI stomps at 12 o'clock or North because it's the same no matter what, but then they ask about DIing Fox's usmash and saying 3 o'clock or East doesn't give you any information about whether you're DIing into someone or away from it.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
DoH, you can probably make this happen in a real match. I usually try to SDI the shine away, one input escapes combos for most chars. To get 2 inputs, roll your control stick from topright to bottomright repeatedly. Normally smash DI requires you to make a fresh input during hitlag (as opposed to just holding a direction which gives you ASDI) but when you cross certain points on the control stick, it accepts it as a new input for SDI purposes. These points are roughly halfway between each of the cardinal directions.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
If Melee and Brawl share DI mechanics, you can probably get close to that by holding the control stick up-away and mashing the cstick down-away. Every time you release the cstick it counts as a going back to the control stick's direction, so as long as you hold the control stick, the cstick's inputs count for double what they're worth (unless theyre being held in the same direction, which the game reads as "no change").

Top Bottom