• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can someone explain the F-Air shield stun?

balloonwalla

Smash Rookie
It doesnt seem to work for me. The person can still attack out of their shield after I F-Air.

eet

Smash Ace
Are you float cancelling the F-air? Start in a float and f-air their shield.

Let's look at the data for a moment,

Total: 54
Hit: 16-20
IASA: 51
Auto cancel: <15 39>
Landlag: 25
Lcanceled: 12

Shield stun: 15
Shield hit lag: 7
Advantage: -4
Advantage float cancelled: +4
Without a float cancel, the other person's lag will be over 4 frames before you, but if you remember the float cancel you should have about 4 frames to start something. Peach's jab hits on frame 2 and 3, so you can jab. Now, mix it up with grab if you anticipate them shield your jab, I use peach's dash grab -- slightly longer range, same starting frame, but note it has 10 more frames of ending lag if you miss the grab you might be vulnerable.

The other key factor is spacing the fair.

Composeur

Smash Ace
I think this is an issue of timing/spacing rather than you actually doing it "wrong."

The important point is that you have to hit them at the very last second before you land in order to have those extra frames to do something. That's the hardest part of it. The timing for when you drop your float and fastfall is different depending on how high you're floating. For instance, if you're floating at the top of your full-jump height, you have to drop your float almost instantly after you start the fair, but if you're floating just off the ground and try to do the same thing, you'll land before your fair can even hit them. Think of it as using your fair to aim for a point on their shield as close to the ground as possible.

The further from the ground you hit them with your falling fair, the sooner they enter and exit that valuable 15-frame window of shield-stun. If you hit too high on their shield, it doesn't matter how fast you react once you get to the ground, because they'll already be free to react by the time you get there.

I believe you can practice this at different heights by looking at where the fair's hitbox (where the crown actually sparkles white) is while you're falling and trying to get it to come out as close to the ground as possible. I personally have found that having the sound effects clearly audible really helps me with the timing.

Does all of that make sense? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on any of it.

TheGoat

Smash Ace
You are probably hitting them too early and possibly not fastfalling properly. And you have to counter them, you cant just attack and sit there expecting them to do nothing

Vestboy_Myst

NJ TO & Peach knitwit
i have heard its best to land it so your fist hits the NW most corner of their bubble (around 10 on a clock) can someone confirm? or is it somewhere more around 9pm?

Top Bottom