• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Can A Noob Beat A Pro???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwalken

Smash Rookie
hey guys i was just in a huge argument with my two friends who are both noobs at smash, cant Shufl cant short hop cant wavedash pretty much cant do anything not even L-Cancel... I said i know beyond a shadow of a doubt that they cant beat a pro SSBM player for example DMON or DA SHIZ WIZ and they say just cause they have never played a pro or sum1 who is concidered a pro that i cant "know" that they will lose.. so i said trust me ive played them before they mess up like 1 in 100 times and they could just do noob combos to u cause u dont tech and they dont seem to understand that just by standing there and smashing or rolling and smashing they cant win... so ppl can i get an opinion of ppl who understand the game of SSBM and not ppl who are just in denial cause they want me to be wrong... i meen they cant even short hop....

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
Happens all the time. That's why the pros don't consistently win tournaments because random locals come in and beat them.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
If they can't beat their school friends or family at the game, non the less eachother, there is no way they can beat a pro.

Jwalken

Smash Rookie
Wiki im talking about a person who cant even SHORT HOP!!! and i consider a Pro to be sum1 such as DMON or DA SHIZ WIZ or forward or sum1 like that ur telling me a person with no advanced skill at all can beat a pro cmon man... and im not talkin about sum1 who can do adv tekniqs i mean a "pro" who basically never misses... i can do adv teqs pretty well that doesnt make me a pro

Nasanieru

Smash Journeyman
If a n00b (no advanced techs) and a pro (eg>Ken, Mew2King, PC Chris) were fighting each other to the best of their ability, I think the game would forfeit the match out of pity saying, "NO CONTEST".

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
You can't underestimate the "familiar factor." Pros play against pros all the time -- all their strategies are based on fighting people who fight JUST LIKE THEM. When they are faced against someone who doesn't always short hop, and doesn't always use the same "mindgames" (which don't exist, by the way), they usually slip up and don't know what to do.

Its why the pros don't consistently win tournaments! Random locals come in and beat them.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
No, a noob cannot defeat a pro.

Also: it depends on where you draw the line between noob and pro.

But yeah, no.

Lieu

Smash Rookie
Wiki and Tom have it right. My littlest bro back at home is really bad, but he's winning national taurnaments left and right! The 'pros' just become confused, panicky and they just self-destruct all their stocks one after the other. The ability to run in circles around, chain insane combos and having virtually no weakness to conventional play is just no match for sluggish full-jump aerials, laggy smashes, roll movement and B-move spam.

Star Wolfe

Smash Rookie
Wiki and Tom have it right. My littlest bro back at home is really bad, but he's winning national taurnaments left and right! The 'pros' just become confused, panicky and they just self-destruct all their stocks one after the other. The ability to run in circles around, chain insane combos and having virtually no weakness to conventional play is just no match for sluggish full-jump aerials, laggy smashes, roll movement and B-move spam.
I hope thats not true because that would mean SSBM is not based on as much skill as I thought it was.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Star Wolfe is wow.
Quoted for truth.
On topic: I think it depends on who you are talking about I mean, my older bro isn't much of a smasher and he goes around b-move spamming but can still get a few good kills on me:)
I guess I could be considerd a noob to competitive play, I've never been to a tournament, because I never knew smash was as big as it was until 07:( I'm planning to go to a tournament soon, and judging from videos that I've seen "pro's" play( Azen, Chu, Chillin, Ken, Isai, M2K, ect.) I would say I am preety good. I'm saying, I THINK if I was to face off against say... Chillin, I would be able to beat him atleast once in 3 matches. I'm hoping to become a pro soon:)

Lieu

Smash Rookie
I hope thats not true because that would mean SSBM is not based on as much skill as I thought it was.
I have your finest quality sarcasm detectors right here! Get 'em while they're hot! Ah, sir, you look like you might be interested. Buy now and I can offer you a free troll-detecting upgrade!

Jwalken

Smash Rookie
im not sure u guys(Wiki & Tom) understand how noob they are... this is what their battle plan consists of walking at u and smashing or doin a running a then trying to smash(no tech chase) now me for 1 i harldy ever miss a tech and i could just DI away.. not to mention that they cant tech(getting hit and doing a quik recovery on the stage). So im sure these "locals" your talking about can atleast do the bare minimum of things to survive... the only reason i myself lose to these kids which is about 1 in 8 or 9 fights is becuz i go for crazy combos and mess up.. just think about that quikly.. how easy it is to beat a person who doesnt tech

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'm pretty sure there is quite a bit of sarcasm in this thread, like Wikipedia's post. If you read his post you get the response "wait, no, thats not true random people never win local tournaments with anyone decent in attendence", which is why his sarcastic comment is so effective, it simply points out that all evidence points to "pro's" always dominating "nonpros" or "noobs".

Chillin, I would be able to beat him atleast once in 3 matches.
I'm going to go on a limb and say if you've never played in a tournament then you wont be able to accomplish this feet. I've played in dozens of tournaments and traveled around the country for Smash, but at the end of the day I struggle to take a SINGLE stock from Mew2King. The skill gaps in Melee are unbelievably huge. The worst players at many tournaments today are almost as technical as the best, the difference is their experience and how they think.

Sandwich

Smash Ace
Depends on what sort of prop.
Since we've already proved a pro losing is inveitable it's just a matter of who you lose to.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
saying, I THINK if I was to face off against say... Chillin, I would be able to beat him atleast once in 3 matches. I'm hoping to become a pro soon:)
I cringe when I see people post stuff like this. Come back after you've gone to a tournament and had your @$$ handed to you by even the mid-level players and see if you still think you have a chance against the likes of Chillin.

I once went to Kansas City and played Darkrain for like an hour and I managed to win ONE match out of TWENTY-FIVE, when he clearly wasn't trying. You don't appreciate the skill gap until you sit next to one of these "Pros" and play them for a while. It can be inspiring or demoralizing, but you'll find out the difference if and when you go to an actual tournament.

Bottom line: If you haven't played anyone good, you aren't good.

S2

Smash Lord
In short answer, its possible.

Likely? No.

What makes a lot of tournament players good is not simply their tech skill, but their ability to use mindgames well. That includes changing their playstyle to accomodate players who don't use advanced techs or play like normal tourney players do.

You'd be surprised how much simply tech chasing a newb player can leave them boggled. If they aren't playing smart, they are easy to beat.

If you're just screwing with them - Pick Samus, charge your shot. Most newbs will roll or getup the same way every time. Repeatedly get free charge shots off of their lack of mindgames.

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
I cringe when I see people post stuff like this. Come back after you've gone to a tournament and had your @$$ handed to you by even the mid-level players and see if you still think you have a chance against the likes of Chillin.

I once went to Kansas City and played Darkrain for like an hour and I managed to win ONE match out of TWENTY-FIVE, when he clearly wasn't trying. You don't appreciate the skill gap until you sit next to one of these "Pros" and play them for a while. It can be inspiring or demoralizing, but you'll find out the difference if and when you go to an actual tournament.

Bottom line: If you haven't played anyone good, you aren't good.

Very good and true post, you can be as technical as you want, but without actual good human practice, you wont be able to apply that tech skill effectively.

franman

Smash Rookie
A noob or a casual player cannot beat a pro. Can a casual tennis player beat Pete Sampras, Andre Agassi? I think the answer is most obvious.

The only way you may prove yourself to be challenge to a pro is if you practice with pros very often and learn from them.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
I feel your pain.

Took me nine matches to take one off Silentspectre the first time I played him, when he was clearly sandbagging.

But now I can take one off him in tournament...
(If I pick FD, get lucky grabs and reverse dair cg the entire time... LOL.)

Jwalken

Smash Rookie
ok so its a fact that a noob cant beat a pro... cause they are telling me it isnt and i liked the tennis example that was good. they are saying they have a chance just cause they havent done it and by my logic i said i know for a fact they cant win is becuz u have to be able to do at least the basix of adv teqs and i believe that is a FACT not just my opinion.

SipherothXIII

Smash Apprentice
Ok, there is a reason why a pro is called a pro, and a noob is called a noob.

A pro is someone that is exceptionally good at what they do, in this case being good at smash and placing high or winning in tournaments. Those who screw up a lot to the point that they lose to a noob, over something such as nervousness, can't be considered a pro.

A noob is someone that thinks they are good, but in actuality has a skill level equivalent or at least close to a novice.

So to answer your question, NO, a noob cannot beat a pro, because it contradicts what a pro and a noobs is.

If you think it is possible for a noob to beat a pro, where you drew the line of what a pro and a noob is is in the wrong place.

From what the situation looks like, they just don't want to admit how bad they are because they don't like the idea of completely sucking at something.

-sonny-

Smash Journeyman
Unless it's a one stock match or just a regular matches with hammers on very high, then yes, I believe a noob can beat a pro.

In a true 1v1 4-5 stock match, there's maybe a 0.001% chance. :p

strider43

Smash Journeyman
Hmm are you talking about noob like "I've never heard of you.... you say you main ness huh? Oh Roy is better than Marth is what you think eh?" Kind of noob or "Ha I'm pro and I've never seen your name making you a noob" noob. Because lots of people haven't heard of me and still think their 1337 G-dorf can **** my animals. (David Gomes -.-) Yea sure when I'm trying to do aerials and play like a good fox you can beat me, I have no mindgames. But once I let go of the A button and smash grabs and shines you're screwed. :)

manacloud1

Smash Champion
hah

actually the only noob to beat pros was ken. It is possible. The first major tournament ever held was tg. Ken was a noob, came to tg, dominated his way through the brackets and the rest is history.

Nowadays there are no noobs even people who dont play competitively can be good cause there are so many tutorials and videos online to practice too. The fathers of smash left their legacy. In the past when youtube wasnt available it made players play with their own unique style. Now everyone just waits and copies what works and what doesnt work. Its like free map hack for everyone if you know what starcraft is about. However, the reason why Pros would win is because of experience. If noobs had the same experience they would be if anything as good or on equal footing as the pros.

So yes a noob can beat a pro. Just my 2 cents.

Madlobster

Smash Apprentice
No, a noob cant defeat a pro in a set.

The power to tech, DI, L-cancel and so on is way too great.
If i was playing someone who didnt L-cancel, i could shield grab him as much as i wanted, i could even JC Smash him out of sheild as much as i wanted, i would be able to escape whatever combo he would pull of, and he would not be able to escape mine.

When a person is better than you in every single aspect of the game, you simply can not win.

Corigames

Smash Hero
If i was playing someone who didnt L-cancel, i could shield grab him as much as i wanted, i could even JC Smash him out of sheild as much as i wanted, i would be able to escape whatever combo he would pull of, and he would not be able to escape mine.
Would you put money on that?

dguy6789

Smash Lord
Somebody I have never heard of beating Shiz in Melee is as likely as one of your friends beating Tiger or MJ in his prime in a game of golf or basketball respectively.

SipherothXIII

Smash Apprentice
actually the only noob to beat pros was ken. It is possible. The first major tournament ever held was tg. Ken was a noob, came to tg, dominated his way through the brackets and the rest is history.

Nowadays there are no noobs even people who dont play competitively can be good cause there are so many tutorials and videos online to practice too. The fathers of smash left their legacy. In the past when youtube wasnt available it made players play with their own unique style. Now everyone just waits and copies what works and what doesnt work. Its like free map hack for everyone if you know what starcraft is about. However, the reason why Pros would win is because of experience. If noobs had the same experience they would be if anything as good or on equal footing as the pros.

So yes a noob can beat a pro. Just my 2 cents.
Ken was not a noob when he entered, just an unknown player. Just because, you're unknown don't make you a noob.

Also if a noob had as much experience as a pro, they'd no longer be considered a noob, so what your saying makes no sense.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Too many variables honestly, but in most cases the answer is no.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom